PDA

View Full Version : I decapitated my G4 iMac - pic inside

the_wallcrawler
Feb 27, 2006, 07:18 PM
A few months ago my G4 iMac's display died. It was too expensive to fix so I just bought a 20in G5. :)

Well I was bored this weekend so I decapitated the G4. I took it to work today and I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything is still working great. Amazingly I can even video out to 1280x1024! On my lunch I picked up a cheap 17in ViewSonic monitor and have both systems setup now.

http://homepage.mac.com/schubie/office.jpg

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 07:23 PM
*Bursts into tears*

In all seriousness, well done. That's not an easy task.

direzz
Feb 27, 2006, 07:25 PM
DEAR GOD!

half impressed, half sad for that beautiful mac.

Kingsly
Feb 27, 2006, 07:31 PM
*Bursts into tears*

You read my mind.
To be honest, I kinda like the look of the half sphere iMac. Perhaps thats what the intel MacMini will look like... :rolleyes:

Maxwell Smart
Feb 27, 2006, 07:37 PM
Heh, looks like a Mac Mini Dome :D

kalisphoenix
Feb 27, 2006, 07:43 PM
Mac Mini Dome :D

For some reason, I hear Tina Turner's voice barking: Break a deal, face the wheel!

Eerie.

the_wallcrawler
Feb 27, 2006, 07:57 PM
Any ideas on what to do the cover the hole at the top? It doesn't look too bad as is, but it would be cool to complete the sphere.

http://homepage.mac.com/schubie/imactop.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/schubie/imactopclose.jpg

dmw007
While I hate to see an iMac G4 being defaced, I commend you on your innovation in salvaging it. Even though it may be a few years old, its still a Macintosh! :)

Josh396
Very nicely done. I also agree with other poster who like the look of just the half sphere. Looks very clean.

CoMpX
Feb 27, 2006, 08:00 PM
I like the look of the iMac G4 even more than the G5...I always wanted one of those things. *goes to check eBay!!*

Josh396
Feb 27, 2006, 08:00 PM
Any ideas on what to do the cover the hole at the top? It doesn't look too bad as is, but it would be cool to complete the sphere.

I think your best bet would be to try and find a piece of white plastic to keep the look the same but you may not be able to easily match the white and also my have to fabricate part of the piece in order to make it work right. Or maybe you could go with some type of chrome metal piece which wouldn't really require you to match it to anything.

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 08:01 PM
Put a golf ball in the hole and then you can practice your driving too. :cool:

thedude110
Feb 27, 2006, 08:05 PM

http://www.bobsbrewers.com/images/golf_ball_apple.jpg

EDIT: Ooh ... mad jew is quick ...

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 08:10 PM
Great minds think alike. :D

supergod
Feb 27, 2006, 08:31 PM
It's funny how much the dome chaped G4 stands out compared to Apples current design. Now, everything is strictly rectangular with rounded corners. Oh well.

phampton81
Feb 27, 2006, 08:32 PM
I'd say plug it with an American flag, that would look hilarious!

prostuff1
Feb 27, 2006, 08:41 PM
put an apple sticker on top

StarbucksSam
Feb 27, 2006, 08:43 PM
It's funny that nobody has compared this to the G4 cube yet. I guess I beat you all to it because of my swift intellect and creative thinking skills.

williamw
Feb 27, 2006, 08:53 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/schubie/imactopclose.jpg

Hehe the iBoob:p !:D

mad jew
Feb 27, 2006, 09:41 PM
Hehe the iBoob:p !:D

You might wanna get your girlfriend's boobs checked out... :o

Just kidding, don't let her slap me...

jsw
Feb 27, 2006, 09:46 PM
Nice work! Although, I must say two things:

(1) it's sad to see the original screen on the floor, tongue lolling about, dead.

(2) why oh why didn't you install Chicken of the VNC on the G5 and operate ol' baldie that way? No ugly black monitor then!

kretzy
Feb 27, 2006, 09:58 PM
Here' my suggestion:

ITASOR
Feb 27, 2006, 10:05 PM
I know someone that was seriously thinking about doing this very soon -- any tips/suggestions/things to note? What did you do with the cables going to the display? Just shove them inside the base?

Counterfit
Feb 27, 2006, 10:09 PM
Was there something wrong with the screen? Was there any reason to do this other than "I felt like it"? :confused:

chaos86
Feb 27, 2006, 10:09 PM
do you know whats wrong with the display?

pknz
Feb 27, 2006, 10:12 PM
Put a golf ball in the hole and then you can practice your driving too.

Man thats what cam to my mind too. Definitly great minds.

chaos86
Feb 27, 2006, 10:14 PM
oh, and what is the connector to the screen? is it a standard dvi cable or vga or what? anyone?

Eidorian
Feb 27, 2006, 10:17 PM
oh, and what is the connector to the screen? is it a standard dvi cable or vga or what? anyone?It's a Mini-VGA to standard VGA.

chaos86
Feb 27, 2006, 10:21 PM
It's a Mini-VGA to standard VGA.

no no, i mean the one coming out the original broken display that plugged into the imacs video card through the arm. the reason being i think it would be a cool mod to buy a broken imac g4 and remove the display to mount on its cool arm on a desks corner or something.

i miss these imacs, i think the current ones are ugly in comparison. i was holding hope that the intel imacs, producing less heat, would be put back into the coolest apple design ever.

Eidorian
Feb 27, 2006, 10:23 PM
no no, i mean the one coming out the original broken display that plugged into the imacs video card through the arm. the reason being i think it would be a cool mod to buy a broken imac g4 and remove the display to mount on its cool arm on a desks corner or something.

i miss these imacs, i think the current ones are ugly in comparison. i was holding hope that the intel imacs, producing less heat, would be put back into the coolest apple design ever.There's a 15" LCD on the floor. I think it's VGA as well.

livingfortoday
Feb 27, 2006, 10:23 PM
Stick an iSight on that hole. I think that'd look pretty cool then, though I don't know if I'd want a Mac I just mutilated to be watching me.

chaos86
Feb 27, 2006, 10:26 PM
... though I don't know if I'd want a Mac I just mutilated to be watching me.

man its like finding a blind man and replacing his eyes with bionics, like jordi from star trek.

zap2
Feb 27, 2006, 10:30 PM
thats how apple should design an Mac Media Center

rikers_mailbox
Feb 27, 2006, 10:56 PM
Stick an iSight on that hole. I think that'd look pretty cool then, though I don't know if I'd want a Mac I just mutilated to be watching me.

I was thinking it would be cool to mount an iSight on the end of the old display arm... waaaay adjustable iSight. :)

dylan
Feb 27, 2006, 11:18 PM
Very cool. Although anyone attempting this should note that the airport antenna is in the display if i'm not mistaken.

Superdrive
Feb 27, 2006, 11:26 PM
Its as nice of a mod as that G4 will get. I think a nice piece of chrome would look splendid on the top. I also have to ask, like the others, where the display cables from the original got tucked. Did you have any trouble getting in the dome? I've a 15" Rev A and I'm considering a hd replacement and internal RAM upgrade. Hope that beauty continues to serve you for a few more years, although in modified form.

QCassidy352
Feb 27, 2006, 11:29 PM
DEAR GOD!

half impressed, half sad for that beautiful mac.

same here. nice job, but it's still a shell of it's former glorious self.

shrimpdesign
Feb 28, 2006, 01:16 AM

http://homepage.mac.com/schubie/imactop.jpg
Well, if you have a dead iPod lying around .. that looks about the size of a click wheel....

Superdrive
Feb 28, 2006, 01:36 AM
Well, if you have a dead iPod lying around .. that looks about the size of a click wheel....

On board FrontRow remote.

iMeowbot
Feb 28, 2006, 01:47 AM
Spray paint it brick red and attach a wooden dowel to the top.

shrimpdesign
Feb 28, 2006, 01:53 AM
On board FrontRow remote.
Woah .. hooking up a click wheel directly to a Mac would be hardcore.

macOSX-tastic
Feb 28, 2006, 05:36 AM
like what you have done with that! werent there messy cables and things through the stem?

its kind of an alternative to the mac mini.....retro (well not quite:D)

the_wallcrawler
Feb 28, 2006, 07:23 AM
To answer some of the questions:

No I wasn't just bored. The display died. A new inverter did not fix the problem, nor was it a backlight problem. The fix would have been expensive so I bought the G5. I had plans of doing something sooner or later with the G4 and finally got around to doing it.

Getting it apart was actually much easier than expected. I found some Apple repair documents online that was pretty much step by step on how to completely disassemble the Mac (which you have to do).

To the person who asked about HD replacement - I'm not sure how tough that would be. The HD and the optical disc are tied together and mounted together inside the case. For my mod I did not have to take them apart. I know it can be done though.

RE: monitor cables. The cables were pretty clearly marked inside the case. There is a series of 4 separate cables coming out of the arm, through the case, and finally into the motherboard. I simply cut them off at the motherboard and then removed them from the case altogether. At first I did not and they looked ugly sticking out from the top of the case. They were also rubbing on the fan and making more noise than it should. Once I removed them, the iMac is DEAD quiet.

RE: airport antenna. I've heard that it was in the display but I totally forgot about that as I was decapitating. The iMac is getting good Airport signal now, though its probably only 15-20 ft away from the base station.

sakasune
Feb 28, 2006, 07:46 AM

I wouldn't attempt to cover the holes, they are for ventilation. You don't want more problems do you?

By the way, sweet mod!

bdubsee
Feb 28, 2006, 08:29 AM
Get a shower drain cover and spray it white. It won't trap any heat and will give a finished look. You could also try http://www.drainsafe.com/installation.htm. This model prevents "hair entrapment and child evisceration". Or do you want children eviscerated on your iMac? :confused:

emaja
Feb 28, 2006, 09:36 AM

Maybe you can buy a shell off eBay and have it cut to match.

spencecb
Feb 28, 2006, 09:47 AM
Get a shower drain cover and spray it white. It won't trap any heat and will give a finished look. You could also try http://www.drainsafe.com/installation.htm. This model prevents "hair entrapment and child evisceration". Or do you want children eviscerated on your iMac? :confused:

Haha, this made me laugh.

p0intblank
Feb 28, 2006, 10:05 AM
This may be harsh, but it's also very awesome in my opinion. Your Mac now looks very... out of this world. ;)

Seasought
Feb 28, 2006, 10:16 AM
Install a white or blue light in the top of it. That would make the room interesting in low-light.

MacBoobsPro
Feb 28, 2006, 10:18 AM
This may be harsh, but it's also very awesome in my opinion. Your Mac now looks very... out of this world. ;)

Buy/steal/salvage some white perspex cut a circle out of it and pop it in the top. That will make it look like an intentional Apple design.

:D

XNine
Feb 28, 2006, 10:28 AM
Spray paint it brick red and attach a wooden dowel to the top.

rofl

That's good. haha.

I agree, an iPod clickwheel would be sweet in that spot, if not psosible to hook it for frontrow, then just for looks.

FireArse
Feb 28, 2006, 10:33 AM
Well, it can be a USB print server, an iTunes player AND has wireless.....

Just think, why get one of those when a second-hand G4 could do the same job?!

F

powerbook911
Feb 28, 2006, 10:42 AM
In your system configuration, does it show just your one display now? This is really cool. Well done.

What's the specs on your G4? Seems like a sweet computer!

JerseyMike73
Feb 28, 2006, 10:49 AM
My G4 iMac is still functioning at full capacity, but if my display ever dies, this is definitely the way to go. I am now using a G5 iMac as my primary system, but must say that there is really no comparison on design - the G4 was a most stunning system from Apple's design team. I miss the flexiblility of the display!

the_wallcrawler
Mar 1, 2006, 08:36 AM
In your system configuration, does it show just your one display now? This is really cool. Well done.

What's the specs on your G4? Seems like a sweet computer! Yup, just one display. It's a 1ghz G4, 768mb RAM. I may get some more RAM for the internal (supposedly non-user accessable slot) later on down the road.

HughJ
Mar 1, 2006, 09:05 AM
how about getting an Anglepoise lamp, removing the base and sticking the arm and lamp into the hole :D

or for that retro look, getting a pole shoving in into the hole and attaching an iSight to the top, will look like an old microphone, be a conversation piece (again) and will give a panoramic view while on iChat