PDA

View Full Version : iPod competitor from ex-Apple employees

maxterpiece
Feb 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
nytimes link (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/27/technology/27mercer.html)

I know there seems to be a new iPod competitor popping up every week, but this one is a little more interesting. It has software that is supposedly pretty neat, built by ex-apple employees, and was designed by an ex-apple employee who was involved in the Newton project.

It gets 35 (!!!) hours of battery life, looks pretty nice, and has a 1.8" color screen. It is pretty small (nano sized).

It is compatible with microsoft playsforsure - no integrated store like ITMS, but i'd say it's the best thing I've seen from an iPod competitor.

It is manufactured by Samsung.

http://www.itnewsonline.com/images/news/Samsung-YP-Z5-ss.jpg

Bubbasteve
Feb 28, 2006, 08:07 PM
Looks nice to me... but it's not an iPod. Apple has the MP3 Player market locked

[EDIT] ... sorry, didn't know it was that annoying to you all

emaja
Feb 28, 2006, 08:18 PM
Do we really need to quote the whole huge graphic post for a one line response? It's becoming a larger pet peeve of mine every day.

Back OT, I suppose it is nice, but the biggest drawback to any non-Apple MP3 player is a lack of ITMS support. Yes, I know you could buy the songs, burn them and then re-import them, but you would lose quality and take three steps instead of one.

maxterpiece
Feb 28, 2006, 08:20 PM
Do we really need to quote the whole huge graphic post for a one line response? It's becoming a larger pet peeve of mine every day.

Back OT, I suppose it is nice, but the biggest drawback to any non-Apple MP3 player is a lack of ITMS support. Yes, I know you could buy the songs, burn them and then re-import them, but you would lose quality and take three steps instead of one.

very true and i believe this is the reason apple will maintain a lock on the mp3 player market. taht being said, i think this is the first iPod competitor that, ignoring the lack of ITMS connection, i might consider buying.

One thing I think people on here always say about the iPod is how solid and well made it looks. Just looking at the image, I think this samsung shares that quality.

zap2
Feb 28, 2006, 08:21 PM
is that a Square Click Wheel?

ipacmm
Feb 28, 2006, 08:24 PM

It does look like one...I saw the OS and it does look like a lot like the iPod interface.

KREX725
Feb 28, 2006, 08:53 PM
Personally I feel like the more competitors there are out there to muddy the non-iPod waters, the better for Apple it is. Plus, knowing there's always someone biting at their heels, Apple will keep up on making the iPod better and better.

jamdr
Feb 28, 2006, 10:01 PM
Are there any images or videos showing off the software?

It looks pretty good but still not as good as an iPod. The biggest obstacle for competitors to the iPod now is that the iPod brand is just so ubiquitous. People don't even say "I want an MP3 player" anymore, they say "I want an iPod". It's going to be hard to break into that

Sutekidane
Feb 28, 2006, 10:49 PM
It looks very nice, just like everything else samsung makes. I don't think I will get one, but it may gain some decent popularity.

exeterbohemian
Mar 1, 2006, 02:01 AM
while i'm sure this product is quite 'nice', i don't know, i can't help but feel dirty looking at it. it somehow just lacks that uniqueness of aesthetic that has made the ipod so notorious. as far as i'm concerned, the portable music player market is basically comprised of ipods and then everything else. and so far, on the 'everything else' side, i have yet to come across something that seems even a remotely apt rival for the ipod. but maybe that's just me. :rolleyes:

ibilly
Mar 1, 2006, 02:12 AM
If I were in the market for a non-like mp3, I'd have to hold one/check it out 1st person, but this would certianly be "in the running", for me... I dislike the vast expanses of wasted faceplate space that seems to be vogue w/ ipods. I like my wheels (squares?) bigger. I don't care about the screen being 3:2 (or whatever it is) if I can get a bigger screen. I dont mind rotating it (assuming the software's smart enough to accomodate for that).

I say GL Samsung, looking good.

dornoforpyros
Mar 1, 2006, 02:27 AM
lol, I wonder what all your comments would be if this had been posted "new iPod killer from Samsung!"

craig0ry
Mar 1, 2006, 04:48 AM
The thing about Apple design is that there are no visible screws, like that bad boy. It's that Apple design that sold me... So minimalistic and clean

InfiniteLoop1
Mar 1, 2006, 05:25 AM
its simply a square version of the iPod
but really the iPod has become much more than a cool MP3 player, its a fashion statement. The whole white ear-bud thing works, you can pick out the iPod users from the non-iPod users. Alot of sad people out there are buying iPod's cos they're fashionable, and as another poster mentioned its going to be very hard to break that!
it makes me laugh when i see a cheap MP3 player with nasty low-quality headphones that are white, just to look like its an iPod

Must.Get.nano!
Mar 1, 2006, 05:43 AM

SQUARE indeend:)

bigandy
Mar 1, 2006, 05:44 AM
why do people keep trying to reinvent the wheel?

maxterpiece
Mar 9, 2006, 12:17 AM
pogue reviewed a Z5 for the NYT recently link (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/09/technology/circuits/09pogue.html).

The article is titled "almost an ipod, but in the end a samsung".

some good excerpts for you lazy folks:

The iPod's competitors have wasted years of opportunity by assuming that they can beat the iPod on features and price alone. They're wrong.

In fact, at least six factors make the iPod such a hit: cool-looking hardware; a fun-to-use, variable-speed scroll wheel; an ultrasimple software menu; effortless song synchronization with Mac or Windows; seamless, rock-solid integration with an online music store (iTunes); and a universe of accessories. Mess up any aspect of the formula, and your iPod killer is doomed to market-share crumbs.

The result is the easiest-to-navigate software since the iPod. Here's the familiar main menu (Music, Pictures, Playlists and so on); here's the center Select button; here's the button at the top that backtracks toward the main menu. If you've ever used an iPod, you'll feel instantly at home. (In fact, at first, I caught myself tracing circles on the Z5's face with my thumb, turning a scroll wheel that wasn't there a reflex that Samsung acknowledged isn't uncommon among first-time users of the Z5.)

INSTEAD of a wheel, the Z5 has a big square button surrounded by a clickable frame. The frame's four edges precisely replicate the clicky edges of the iPod scroll wheel: Menu at the top, Play/Pause at the bottom, Next Track and Previous Track on the sides.

Inside the frame is a touch pad. You step through lists by lightly tapping the pad; you hold down to scroll quickly. The best part is that your thumb doesn't have to move between scrolling and clicking; after scrolling by touching, pushing harder to click in exactly the same spot does the trick.

Samsung has even improved on the iPod's design in several important ways. For example, you can adjust the playback volume even when you're not on the Now Playing screen (such as when you're adjusting the settings or perusing your music list), thanks to dedicated volume buttons. The name of the current song appears at the bottom of every screen, too.

More thoughtful touches: Whenever you highlight a song or album name, a thumbnail image of the CD cover appears right there in the list a handy visual aid. Holding down the Menu button takes you all the way back to the main menu, so you don't have to tap it repeatedly.

And you know that iPod moment of befuddlement when the buttons don't seem to be working and then you realize it's because you've engaged the Hold switch? On the Z5, pressing any button makes a tiny padlock icon glow on the screen to help clue you in.

Finally, the Z5 plays music for a staggering 35 hours between charges, according to Samsung, which is 2.5 times the duration with the iPod. Unfortunately, that beefier battery means that the Z5 is no Nanoesque wafer. At just under half an inch thick, it's two-thirds thicker than the Nano.

s the Z5, then, the fabled iPod Killer? Let's review the checklist.

LOOKS Not quite. It's sleek and nice-looking, but thicker than the Nano. The metal case conceals fingerprints, unlike the mirrored chrome of the Nano. But it doesn't look as classy and doesn't feel as nice in your palm. SCROLL WHEEL No. The Z5's controls are thoughtfully designed. But the touch scroller is finicky; perhaps to screen out accidental taps, it registers a tap only if your finger sits on the surface longer than a quarter-second but less than half a second (after which fast scrolling begins). You need the reflexes of a frog's tongue.

Worse, you can't control the speed of the scrolling; you can't slow down as you approach one part of the alphabet. How could Samsung have missed this one?

SOFTWARE MENU Ultrasimple. Samsung nailed this aspect.

MUSIC STORE INTEGRATION No. At Samsung's suggestion, I tested the Z5 with Rhapsody's store, which is available directly from the copy of Windows Media Player provided by the Z5's installer. After banging my head on the keyboard for an hour, unable to get it to work, a Rhapsody rep finally let me know that, in fact, Rhapsody's subscription store doesn't work in Media Player only with Rhapsody's own software jukebox. (So much for the Microsoft "Plays for Sure" logo. Try "Plays for Some People.")

The Z5, then, will not cause any discernible dip in iPod market share.

It does, however, deserve to be a hit for Samsung. For someone who wants a Nano that's not a Nano, it's a close enough match in looks, sleekness, capacity and crystal-clear software design. In fact, if iPod didn't loom over every conversation as the screamingly obvious point of comparison, the Z5 could be the next little thing.

carve
Mar 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
nytimes link (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/27/technology/27mercer.html)

I know there seems to be a new iPod competitor popping up every week, but this one is a little more interesting. It has software that is supposedly pretty neat, built by ex-apple employees, and was designed by an ex-apple employee who was involved in the Newton project.

It gets 35 (!!!) hours of battery life, looks pretty nice, and has a 1.8" color screen. It is pretty small (nano sized).

It is compatible with microsoft playsforsure - no integrated store like ITMS, but i'd say it's the best thing I've seen from an iPod competitor.

It is manufactured by Samsung.

http://www.itnewsonline.com/images/news/Samsung-YP-Z5-ss.jpg
why would anybody buy this it's a total fake...he works for samsung and he's trying to drum up some buisiness for them!:) :p

mannix87
Mar 11, 2006, 11:07 PM
what's up w/ that guy in the photo? dweeb-like! :D

killuminati
Mar 12, 2006, 01:48 AM
Looks nice to me... but it's not an iPod.

Way to be open minded :rolleyes:

I think it's OK, but my one problem with all other MP3 players is the lack of a click wheel. The wheel just makes browsing so unbelievably easy, and I'm assuming nobody else has done that because apple has patented it. But if other companies could, maybe I would have to shop around a bit before deciding to get another ipod.

Bubbasteve
Mar 12, 2006, 02:02 AM
Way to be open minded :rolleyes:

I try :D