PDA

View Full Version : iPod format

Quadgod86
Mar 1, 2006, 06:09 PM
When I first bought my iPod I had a Windblows machine for school reasons. Since then I have reverted back to Mac and want to change the format of my iPod from Windblows to Mac. Is this possible? If so, how?
Thanks.

jkelly888
Mar 1, 2006, 06:11 PM
When I first bought my iPod I had a Windblows machine for school reasons. Since then I have reverted back to Mac and want to change the format of my iPod from Windblows to Mac. Is this possible? If so, how?
Thanks.
i belive that you just have to plug it into the mac and restore it using the updater. but if i'm not mistaken, a windows formatted ipod should work in a mac too

Daeman
Mar 1, 2006, 06:38 PM
A few points to add, had a wondows formatted ipod and it worked fine on my powerbook. however for it to update it had to be reformatted to mac and now i cant use it as an external harddrive on windows machines which is a little annoying. but yes to reformat it simply run an ipod updater and it will automatically change the format.

Quadgod86
Mar 1, 2006, 07:28 PM
The iPod works fine on the mac.
My point was really more about updating the software, which I can't do with the windows format. Does restoring the iPod wipe all the info clean? I only use it for music.

mad jew
Mar 1, 2006, 08:29 PM
Yeah, restoring it completely erases everything on the iPod and changes the settings back to the factory default. Unless you manually manage your music though, this shouldn't be a problem. :)

2nyRiggz
Mar 1, 2006, 08:39 PM
Just make sure you have all of your songs that are on the ipod....you will kick yourself if u lose them.

Bless

plinkoman
Mar 1, 2006, 08:51 PM
yea, just run the updater and it will take care of it. my iPod used to be windows formatted, and when i got my powerbook last november, i didn't bother reformatting it because it still worked just fine, but i finnaly restored it just a few hours ago to install iPodlinux :eek: :D