PDA

View Full Version : PB 12 or wait for 970?


austincpy
Jan 25, 2003, 11:54 PM
ok, here it goes: i'm considering buying a 12" pb for casual writing, music, and some video editing (typically dv). right now i have a 8600 with a G3 450 in it, and want to know if i should go ahead and buy a 12" pb, and sell it mid year to get a 970 pm, or just buy a 17" pb and wait until they go 970, if apple goes 970. If ya get it, appluase! Thanks for your suggestions!

Cursor
Jan 26, 2003, 12:13 AM
It sounds like you were considering a portable any way. I'd say get the 17" now. It's powerful enough to rival a PM and the screen is big enough to enjoy movies/edit video. And it is technically a portible. Sounds perfect to me.970s aren't supposed to come out until mid-lte 3rd quarter in PM. That would mean that they probably wouldn't come out in AluBooks until MWSF 2004, I'm guessing. Either way it is a long time to wait.

austincpy
Jan 26, 2003, 12:19 AM
thanks cursor, and i think you're right. But, i'm still open to any other ideas, this is a big decision. oh, does anyone know if the hard drives in pb are fast enough to capture and edit dv in FPC?

Natron
Jan 26, 2003, 12:35 AM
Powerbooks are fine for capturing and editing DV video. I do it all the time.

-Natron

austincpy
Jan 26, 2003, 01:01 AM
does anyone else have any ideas? thanks

svenmagnus
Jan 27, 2003, 05:30 PM
i think i'm going to hold out until the put the 970 into the 15" powerbook. I use mostly photoshop on my computer and running photoshop in 10.2.3 on my PM 867 is unbearable. Even if the 970 is a long way off, it gives apple more time to work all the new kinks out of the new AluPowerbooks that we dont know about yet.

pyrotoaster
Jan 27, 2003, 05:56 PM
If you're really in the market for a portable (the 12" and 17" are the two worth considering), don't wait for the 970. Apple will most likely phase it in, starting with the Powermacs and the Xserve.