PDA

View Full Version : spiled water on my ibook, what else to do, disassmble?

atik
Mar 6, 2006, 10:46 AM
crap, i just did it.

I spilled a little (less than a cup i guess) on my ibook. Did everything i remembered switched off, took battery out, removed battery and the metal part coverig the ram slot, dried everything i saw with a q-tip and cloth and turned the ibook over. So pretty much everything said at thread i found from MC.

I also used a piece of print paper to dry the tiny gap between the screen and the plastic "collar" around it, it had a few drops. Is there a need to disassemble it, beyond taking of the keyboard and the ram slot cover? I don't have a small enough screwdriver or hexagon key handy right now, but tell me if i need to start serious work with this.

CanadaRAM
Mar 6, 2006, 10:53 AM
The main thing is to put it in a warm place (on top of the refrigerator is popular) and leave it for at least 24 hours, better 48 hours, BEFORE putting the battery back i and testing it. If it was pure water only, you should be OK. If it had sugar or juice in it though, then you may be forced to clean it.

atik
Mar 6, 2006, 10:58 AM
no, just water. and i don't know if it matters, but i've heard that finnish tap water should be quite clean, like not much minerals and such.

Vlade
Mar 6, 2006, 11:03 AM
Just make sure you air it out for at least a day in a warm dry place like CanadaRAM said. I got my digital camera wet snowboarding and it wouldn't work but after I took it apart and dried it for a day it started to work again.

atik
Mar 9, 2006, 03:32 PM
phew, all good.

i let it dry out with the keyboard off for 1,5 days an everything's fine. thanks for the advice.