Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
hi guys....i just had a great idea whilst typing/taking notes for coursework whilst suffering from eye strain. i used a maglite mini (AA batteries) in candle mode, to stand up behind my powerbook whilst it is on my iCurve. with the other lights in the room off, it provides a pleasant, diffused light which illuminates my work area and my keyboard. the lighting on the PB screen is also turned down to minimum. i might develop it further with a kensington Flylight 2.0 attached to my USB hub, because i definately enjoy working like this....my bright desk light hurts my eyes when im working for long periods.

this is definately better during the evening:D

here is the result in picture form:

tell me what you think!

S

Attachments

• DSC02859.jpg
    DSC02859.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 211

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
stonyc said:
Has a surreal look to it...

yeah i did something similar in my room. instead of using my big long flurescent uplight that is mounted to the wall in my dorm room, i use 3 small lamps with light diffusing lamp shades. much better for working on anything that doesnt require color accuracy, and also much better for you know what when my fiancée comes over than a bright fluro.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Someone here I think used an iBook cover to make a light.. now that was really cool.

EDIT: Found it...

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Nooo! Your PowerBook is on fire! :D It does actually look like you set your wall alight :p

chaos86 said:
much better for you know what when my fiancée comes over than a bright fluro.
Cooking? I mean, you wouldn't want to get distracted by the bright light when chopping a tomato :eek:

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
greatdevourer said:
Cooking? I mean, you wouldn't want to get distracted by the bright light when chopping a tomato :eek:

i find it hilarious that you said that; she's a culinary arts student and 'cooking' is a code word we use :D

EDIT: i feel like i just shared a bit too much...

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
chaos86 said:
i find it hilarious that you said that; she's a culinary arts student and 'cooking' is a code word we use :D

EDIT: i feel like i just shared a bit too much...
In which case "chopping a tomato" sounds kinda S&M :eek:

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
bursty said:
Definitely looks cool but why not just use a desklamp? :confused:

i have a desklamp, this was to avoid eye strain.....i turned it off because it was giving me an awful headache and then thought of this. ive stopped work now so desk lamp is back, until next time....:D

S

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
strange.. i would think working in low light conditions would actually be worse for your eyes in the long run. i mean i understand having a dim light behind the screen of a computer if the ambient surroundings are dark but geez.. having the pb's screen to low seems a bit too much for me.

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
each to his own i guess...it varies from time to time, according to tiredness, etc....its nice to have the option. even if it's for an hour or two and then back to normal, it's a nice break from the glare.

S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.