PDA

View Full Version : low light work solution

macOSX-tastic
Mar 8, 2006, 12:19 PM
hi guys....i just had a great idea whilst typing/taking notes for coursework whilst suffering from eye strain. i used a maglite mini (AA batteries) in candle mode, to stand up behind my powerbook whilst it is on my iCurve. with the other lights in the room off, it provides a pleasant, diffused light which illuminates my work area and my keyboard. the lighting on the PB screen is also turned down to minimum. i might develop it further with a kensington Flylight 2.0 attached to my USB hub, because i definately enjoy working like this....my bright desk light hurts my eyes when im working for long periods.

this is definately better during the evening:D

here is the result in picture form:

tell me what you think!

S

stonyc
Mar 8, 2006, 12:20 PM
Has a surreal look to it...

chaos86
Mar 8, 2006, 01:16 PM
Has a surreal look to it...

yeah i did something similar in my room. instead of using my big long flurescent uplight that is mounted to the wall in my dorm room, i use 3 small lamps with light diffusing lamp shades. much better for working on anything that doesnt require color accuracy, and also much better for you know what when my fiancée comes over than a bright fluro.

stonyc
Mar 8, 2006, 01:20 PM
Someone here I think used an iBook cover to make a light.. now that was really cool.

EDIT: Found it (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=142268&highlight=ibook+lamp)...

macOSX-tastic
Mar 8, 2006, 01:34 PM
oh yeah, i remember that!

still, this is for when im working for long periods to avoid eye strain....the iBook wall light is just pretty.

S

greatdevourer
Mar 8, 2006, 01:45 PM
Nooo! Your PowerBook is on fire! :D It does actually look like you set your wall alight :p

much better for you know what when my fiancée comes over than a bright fluro. Cooking? I mean, you wouldn't want to get distracted by the bright light when chopping a tomato :eek:

chaos86
Mar 8, 2006, 02:05 PM
Cooking? I mean, you wouldn't want to get distracted by the bright light when chopping a tomato :eek:

i find it hilarious that you said that; she's a culinary arts student and 'cooking' is a code word we use :D

EDIT: i feel like i just shared a bit too much...

greatdevourer
Mar 8, 2006, 02:47 PM
i find it hilarious that you said that; she's a culinary arts student and 'cooking' is a code word we use :D

EDIT: i feel like i just shared a bit too much... In which case "chopping a tomato" sounds kinda S&M :eek:

bursty
Mar 8, 2006, 02:56 PM
Definitely looks cool but why not just use a desklamp? :confused:

greatdevourer
Mar 8, 2006, 02:59 PM
Definitely looks cool but why not just use a desklamp? :confused: His setup is a very ambiant, soft light, which is generally kinder on they eyes

macOSX-tastic
Mar 8, 2006, 04:40 PM
Definitely looks cool but why not just use a desklamp? :confused:

i have a desklamp, this was to avoid eye strain.....i turned it off because it was giving me an awful headache and then thought of this. ive stopped work now so desk lamp is back, until next time....:D

S

realityisterror
Mar 8, 2006, 04:44 PM
When I had my iMac I had a similar lighting situation in my room and it was definitely much easier on the eyes...

Now, overhead, halogen track-lighting... :(

terriyaki
Mar 8, 2006, 05:38 PM
strange.. i would think working in low light conditions would actually be worse for your eyes in the long run. i mean i understand having a dim light behind the screen of a computer if the ambient surroundings are dark but geez.. having the pb's screen to low seems a bit too much for me.

macOSX-tastic
Mar 8, 2006, 05:58 PM
each to his own i guess...it varies from time to time, according to tiredness, etc....its nice to have the option. even if it's for an hour or two and then back to normal, it's a nice break from the glare.

S