PDA

View Full Version : 12" powerbook and Dell 20" widescreen

mddharma
Mar 8, 2006, 07:36 PM
Just bought a 20" Dell widescreen off ebay, and it shipped with all original material. However, it only has a standard dvi to dvi plug. Where do I get a mini dvi to dvi cable that is long enough to go from my new monitor to the side of my powerbook? Is this what I need? or is there some other setup I should use?

sunfast
Mar 9, 2006, 09:10 AM
You just need a mini DVI to DVI adapter. Didn't one come with your PB?

MacRumorUser
Mar 9, 2006, 05:56 PM
You just need a mini DVI to DVI adapter. Didn't one come with your PB?

Usually they come with the PB, however they don't package it with the new iMac so maybe they stopped packaging it with the PB. About $20 off apple store.

Koodauw
Mar 9, 2006, 06:23 PM
Just an FYI, your PB fan will be running non stop with an external display, or at least mine was with a Apple 20'' CD.

mddharma
Mar 9, 2006, 07:06 PM
Just an FYI, your PB fan will be running non stop with an external display, or at least mine was with a Apple 20'' CD.

Since I have hooked it up to the Dell, it does seem to be running non-stop. I have a 19" Viewsonic at my office I hook it up to, but I don't think it runs non-stop there.

I did get an adapter with the powerbook, forgot I had used it for the viewsonic. So, I ordered one today from the Apple store.

Does your macbook pro run the large monitors without the fan running constantly?

Koodauw
Mar 9, 2006, 07:11 PM
Don't have cinema display anymore to test it with sorry.