PDA

View Full Version : When the new ipod comes out in april..

luckylisp
Mar 11, 2006, 11:15 PM
will the reduce the price of the previous model on the shelf? I can't decide whether to wait or just get one now.

iHateWindows
Mar 11, 2006, 11:17 PM
will the reduce the price of the previous model on the shelf? I can't decide whether to wait or just get one now.

It depends on what they release. If they release a "real" video iPod with a touchscreen and can play music and view photos, the 5th generation will most likely get a price drop or maybe discontinued.

ehayut
Mar 11, 2006, 11:24 PM
i personally don't think a new model will be introduced. Maybe the current model will increas to 40GB/80GB

luckylisp
Mar 11, 2006, 11:27 PM
I'll have to wait till April, I guess. I don't really want a touch screen though so hopefully I can get a deal on the 5g ipod. If the screens are touch screens, I wonder if they'll come with a protection coating already on.

Chundles
Mar 11, 2006, 11:51 PM
You mean "if a new iPod comes out in April."

It's not confirmed and I doubt that Apple will replace the 5G within 6 months of it's highly successful release. I think this will be an iPod photo sort of deal, 80GB US$449 and eventually merged into the iPod line the current 5G iPod stays at it's current prices.

Maybe not, I think April 1st will see a nano revision to 2GB, 4GB and 6GB for the same prices.

iShane
Mar 11, 2006, 11:56 PM
You mean "if a new iPod comes out in April."

It's not confirmed and I doubt that Apple will replace the 5G within 6 months of it's highly successful release. I think this will be an iPod photo sort of deal, 80GB US$449 and eventually merged into the iPod line the current 5G iPod stays at it's current prices.

Maybe not, I think April 1st will see a nano revision to 2GB, 4GB and 6GB for the same prices.

Yea...if.

Jeff Wampler
Mar 12, 2006, 01:36 AM
\ I don't really want a touch screen

Why wouldn't you??

Bubbasteve
Mar 12, 2006, 01:46 AM
i personally don't think a new model will be introduced. Maybe the current model will increas to 40GB/80GB

God forbid if that were to happen...you would see the majority of MR throwing a fit.

luckylisp
Mar 12, 2006, 06:07 PM
Why wouldn't you??

It seems more clumsy to me, considering the size. Even if they made it bigger, which obviously they could if they remove the wheel, I still don't think they could make the screen big enough to make it effective as a touch screen.

The only positive would be they would have to include some sort of scratch resistant covering for the screen, which obviously they don't do now.

And initially I thought a new ipod was coming out in April. My mistake. I see now it's just a rumor and could go either way.

Peyton
Mar 12, 2006, 06:20 PM
God forbid if that were to happen...you would see the majority of MR throwing a fit.
LOL. you're right. "why is Apple sitting on their hands" I can hear it now.

And then "I'm not paying $500 for an iPod" then "Why isn't it thinner than the nano, they really messed up this time"

But seriously, I think the 5G iPod will stay, the new one will be starting at $350 or 400. More likely $400. With a thicker 80Gb or 100gb (wishful thinking) being $500 or so. Which seems more likely now that you can't buy a full featured apple computer for that much any more.

So the mac mini price raise was to make room for a new iPod price line so that it didn't seem as overpriced. Sneaky Mr. Jobs, very sneaky.

ipacmm
Mar 12, 2006, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=Chundles]I think this will be an iPod photo sort of deal, 80GB US$449 and eventually merged into the iPod line the current 5G iPod stays at it's current prices.
/QUOTE]

If apple did another iPod Photo deal, I don't think people will really buy it...just like how the Photo wasn't a big hit because it was too expensive and all it had was a color screen that you can view photos on...If they were to do a different looking iPod Video or something like that with some other cool features it could work, but I don't think people will really buy a re-branded iPod with a different name and some different features at an even higher price in the same body of the current ipod.