PDA

View Full Version : 12' Powerbook in stock!!!!!

blacksun73
Jan 29, 2003, 04:27 PM
Hard time finding that 12"? We have them in stock!!! Let me know . 1-800-622-6222 ext 20561 MacWarehouse.

iconrad
Jan 29, 2003, 05:24 PM
This sounds alot like a computer generated message.:(

MacFan25
Jan 29, 2003, 08:43 PM
I wonder when the Apple stores and re-sellers will get the new PowerBooks in. Or do they already have them in?

SoonToGetAMac
Jan 29, 2003, 09:03 PM
some stores (I saw one at an apple store) have the 12" store-demo models, but I don't know when they will be available to buy.

G4scott
Jan 29, 2003, 09:46 PM
My local CompUSA just put theirs out yesterday (tuesday). I think I was the first person to actually look at it, because after a while, a guy came up and said that he'd just put it out 10 minutes ago...

The thing he did say that makes me wonder, is that they don't know how they're going to display the 17" PowerBook, since it's so wide, and their notebook locking mechanisms aren't that big... They can give one to me for safe keeping :D

Rower_CPU
Jan 30, 2003, 12:13 AM
Saw the boxes out at our campus bookstore...all black, very slick.

No demo model out yet. :(

moby1
Jan 30, 2003, 12:36 AM
My 12" PowerBook arrived from MacWarehouse this morning.

Free printer & case arrived yesterday. No sign of free battery yet.

I posted Xbench results in another thread. I won't have time to evaluate the new PowerBook until this weekend.

moby1

kidtronix
Jan 30, 2003, 04:34 AM
if you get the new 12", make a photo-diary of when you pick it out of the box!

blacksun73
Jan 30, 2003, 07:22 AM
Geez, I have never been told I sound like a computer. LOL . Just wanted to let people know that we had 12 in stock. I was reading peoples posts about their estimated ship dates and for some reason we got an early shipment.

jrv3034
Jan 30, 2003, 08:52 AM
CompUSA in NYC has it (the store demo model). I just saw it yesterday. It's pretty sweet, but the curved edges make it look too much like an iBook. I liked the more linear, straight edge design of the 15" TiBook better, plus the aluminum doesen't feel quite as nice, somehow. Still, the thing is tiny! I'know a lot of people who would love one of these things...;)

davy the bunny
Jan 30, 2003, 10:21 AM
If you are in Dallas, TX both stores have them. Apple Store WillowBend has no SuperDrive equipped ones and last night only had one combo drive that was on hold for someone. The manager told me that the other Apple Store in Dallas, (Apple Store Knox Street), may still have some in stock being that they are new and likely got more of the new hardware than what he had.

iShater
Jan 30, 2003, 10:52 AM
Schaumburg (Woodfield) Apple Store had the 12" PBs since this past weekend, they also have the Superdrive version.

I almost bought one on Monday! Almost .... :(

yogi477
Jan 30, 2003, 11:15 AM
I got my 12 PB today it is awesome so sleek and cold and it has that new computer smell about it.

hariya
Jan 30, 2003, 11:23 AM
I got an email this morning that my PB12" shipped from Taiwan. I ordered on Jan 11 and the date the apple store gave me was Feb 11 so, if you ordered around that time, keep your eyes peeled.

This is my first mac purchase even though I have been using macs at school for ever. I am also looking forward to the dual 1.25 I just put an order in for to replace the dying AGP 400 PM.

dabirdwell
Jan 30, 2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by hariya
I got an email this morning that my PB12" shipped from Taiwan. I ordered on Jan 11 and the date the apple store gave me was Feb 11 so, if you ordered around that time, keep your eyes peeled.

This is my first mac purchase even though I have been using macs at school for ever. I am also looking forward to the dual 1.25 I just put an order in for to replace the dying AGP 400 PM.

Was yours a Superdrive model?

hariya
Jan 30, 2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by dabirdwell

Was yours a Superdrive model?

Yes, Superdrive and maxed out memory. No Airport Extreme.

I got it through the student ADC deal and since it was a one-time only deal, I went all out. Saved 20 % on the price too. :)

yogi477
Jan 30, 2003, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know how to do Target Disk mode so I can transfer my files across? Do both machines need Jaguar as my iMac only has 10.1 or is there another way?

Rower_CPU
Jan 30, 2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by yogi477
Does anyone know how to do Target Disk mode so I can transfer my files across? Do both machines need Jaguar as my iMac only has 10.1 or is there another way?

If your iMac has Firewire all you need to do is hook up a firewire cable between the two, and boot the machine while holding "T" on the keyboard.

yogi477
Jan 30, 2003, 01:24 PM
It does have FIrewire, I have hooked them up then restarted the iMac with holding T down but nothing happened are you sure it is not a Jaguar thing? Do both computers have to be restarted?

evoluzione
Jan 30, 2003, 01:47 PM
i saw the 12" powerbook in the SoHo NYC apple store, and the keyboard is disgusting... anyone else think that??? enough to make me forget about wanting that and instead waiting to afford the 17" even if it is overkill. i keep thinking the new 12" is like an iBook with a G4 processor, rather than a small PB. :rolleyes:

iShater
Jan 30, 2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by evoluzione
i saw the 12" powerbook in the SoHo NYC apple store, and the keyboard is disgusting... anyone else think that??? enough to make me forget about wanting that and instead waiting to afford the 17" even if it is overkill. i keep thinking the new 12" is like an iBook with a G4 processor, rather than a small PB. :rolleyes:

disgusting i what sense? it looked fine to me. It looked nice actually except that having the letters in the middle looked different.

szark
Jan 30, 2003, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by yogi477
It does have FIrewire, I have hooked them up then restarted the iMac with holding T down but nothing happened are you sure it is not a Jaguar thing? Do both computers have to be restarted?

Try it the other way -- boot the iMac normally, and the PB in target disk mode.

From Apple Support:

To use FireWire target disk mode

1. Make sure that the target computer is turned off. If you are using a PowerBook computer or iBook computer as the target computer, you should also plug in its AC power adapter.

2. Use a FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin) to connect the target computer to a host computer. The host computer does not need to be turned off.

3. Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will likely appear on desktop.

4. When you are finished copying files, drag the target computer's hard disk icon to the Trash or select Put Away from the File menu (Mac OS 9) or Eject from the File menu (Mac OS X).

5. Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.

6. Unplug the FireWire cable.

If the target computer's hard disk does not become available to the host computer, check the cable connections and restart the host computer.

I also saw the 12" PB today at the Apple Store. I like the case materials/design, but I don't know if I prefer the new keyboard or the Ti keyboard.

dabirdwell
Jan 30, 2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by hariya

Yes, Superdrive and maxed out memory. No Airport Extreme.

I got it through the student ADC deal and since it was a one-time only deal, I went all out. Saved 20 % on the price too. :)

Mine was through ADC also, with maxed everything and AE basestation, but they still say Feb. 18 until mine ships. Hurry Powerbook, our 20" display shipped yesterday and I'm really going to be itching for my book when I can stare at it on Apple's website in the 20" Cinema window.

hariya
Jan 30, 2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by dabirdwell

Mine was through ADC also, with maxed everything and AE basestation, but they still say Feb. 18 until mine ships. (snip)

Patience, young grasshopper. Mine said Feb 11 till last night too. I bet that you will hear from apple by Monday or Tuesday.

mad jew
Sep 22, 2005, 10:02 PM
Yeah, Apple seems to have fixed most of its January 2003 supply issues. :)

mduser63
Sep 22, 2005, 10:02 PM
Well, looks like this crisis has passed. Ship times are now 24 hours or less on most PBs.

Considering this thread was last posted in 2.5 years ago, I'm not too surprised.

mad jew
Sep 22, 2005, 10:04 PM
Hmm... Where did jsw's post go?

I'm scared. Hold me.

jsw
Sep 22, 2005, 10:05 PM
Considering this thread was last posted in 2.5 years ago, I'm not too surprised.
I just wanted people to know they were back in stock... ;)

Hey, it's a slow night.

mad jew
Sep 22, 2005, 10:08 PM
Fair enough. But where's your post? Did you delete it? How?

jsw
Sep 22, 2005, 10:13 PM
Fair enough. But where's your post? Did you delete it? How?
I don't know. It just sort of went away. I wouldn't've noticed without your post. Man, weird things are happening tonight. I'm posting this on my 12" PB, BTW, which seems appropriate.

mad jew
Sep 22, 2005, 10:15 PM
It must be the full moon.

Ah, wait, it's not full.

Yes it is.

No it isn't. Ahhh! I'm going to bed now, even if it is only lunch time. :(

jsw
Sep 22, 2005, 10:17 PM
I really do need to go to bed....

My theory about the disappearing post is that the ghost of this old thread got to it. Poor thing. All that's left of it is a quote in another post... sort of its own ghost, as it were. Oh well. At least the PBs are in stock.

katie ta achoo
Sep 22, 2005, 10:27 PM
Yeah, Apple seems to have fixed most of its January 2003 supply issues. :)

Good. :)

I thought they'd never be in stock!

Koodauw
Sep 22, 2005, 10:29 PM
I went to buy a 12 foot PB tonight, and the biggest they said they had was 17''. What a screw job.

katie ta achoo
Sep 22, 2005, 10:32 PM
I went to buy a 12 foot PB tonight, and the biggest they said they had was 17''. What a screw job.

I thought I was the only one that noticed, and if I brought it up, I'd be a punctuation cop. :(

But a 12 foot PB.. Could it be the G5?? hahah!

jsw
Sep 22, 2005, 10:32 PM
i missed that. The 12" PBs are in stock, but I've yet to see the 12' ones. Built in projectors? Otherwise, man, that is going to be a pain to use on a plane.