PDA

View Full Version : I miss Titanium on powerbooks

princealfie
Mar 16, 2006, 10:38 AM
Considering that alum. alloy has garnered a lot of controversy, I prefer titanium to be honest. My titanium stuff lasts longer and no dents either!

Only negs of the Tibooks are the hinge problems. Other than that, they are perfect!

Bubbasteve
Mar 16, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'll second that... I miss the TiBooks alot too.

lamina
Mar 16, 2006, 10:46 AM
May sound stupid, but what does the TiBook look like? Can someone post a picture of one?

Lord Blackadder
Mar 16, 2006, 10:50 AM
Titanium is considered to be a miracle metal by many but in reality it isn't that much different then aluminum as far as use in computers is concerned. One of the big reasons it was used in aeronautics is the fact that it has a very high melting point, compared to aluminum, and is thus a good choice for airframse that apporach Mach 3. Since the PowerBook doesn't, that property is wasted. There are still some small advantages to using it but the cost to manufacture titanium is much higher than aluminum.

mjstew33
Mar 16, 2006, 10:51 AM
May sound stupid, but what does the TiBook look like? Can someone post a picture of one?
http://www.macintouch.com/photos/pbg4.jpg

chaosbunny
Mar 16, 2006, 10:57 AM

Here ya go....:)

tribe3
Mar 16, 2006, 11:06 AM
Only negs of the Tibooks are the hinge problems. Other than that, they are perfect!

The paint chipping on the borders was also an issue.

Max on Macs
Mar 16, 2006, 01:06 PM
I've never seen one in real life, but from all the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look as nice as the PB/MBP IMHO. I maen, the current casing is so simple and clean, it really is by far the nicest laptop I've ever seen. I do agree that my PowerBook casing did start to wear a bit after I'd had it around 2-2 1/2yrs... But by that time it was out of date and needed an upgrade anyway.

T-Stex
Mar 16, 2006, 01:44 PM
I'd love to see the Apple line move from aluminum to titanium. I think titanium versions of the current designs would look great.

Koodauw
Mar 16, 2006, 01:49 PM
well the paint chipping, as mentioned above, and the airport reception were major problems. I can still hear the cries of 'I paid $3,000 for paint chipping?' I like the aluminum 'books much better.

Lord Blackadder
Mar 16, 2006, 02:23 PM
Also remember that while titanium is quite strong, it is not especially hard, and is thus susceptible to dents which cost more to make right due to the cost of titanium replacement parts.

Steel is much harder than titanium, and aluminum, while not harder, is cheaper.

Kingsly
Mar 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
Don't forget... the aluminum PB's and MBP's redefine the word "sexy"

QCassidy352
Mar 16, 2006, 03:06 PM
Don't forget... the aluminum PB's and MBP's redefine the word "sexy"

yeah, redefine it to something less sexy than the tibooks were. :p

the tibook really was one of apple's all time best designs. The Albooks are nice too, but they're missing something... let's call it "soul." ;)

ipacmm
Mar 16, 2006, 03:50 PM
I've never seen one in real life, but from all the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look as nice as the PB/MBP IMHO.

In real life they are a lot nicer looking. I had one for 3 years and it was the best running and next to no issue Mac I have had. But the new PB & MBP's are nice, I really do enjoy the new keyboard but there was just something very classic with the Ti Books.

the Helix
Mar 16, 2006, 04:21 PM
In real life they are a lot nicer looking. I had one for 3 years and it was the best running and next to no issue Mac I have had. But the new PB & MBP's are nice, I really do enjoy the new keyboard but there was just something very classic with the Ti Books.

Amen to that brutha! Although I now use a last revision 15" Al PowerBook, I still have and use my TiBook (1 ghz last revision as well). If it weren't for the higher resolution screen, and built in bluetooth and AirPort Extreme, I would have just stayed with the trusty ol' TiBook.

The TiBook is for Apple what the 930 Turbo was for Porsche.

Kelson
Mar 16, 2006, 04:38 PM
but I still use my TiBook almost exclusively..

Now, this would not normally be funny, except I have a brand new MacBook Pro 2.0ghz fully loaded sitting right next to it.

I don't use the MacBook at all hardly, but I just keep using the TiBook 1Ghz.

With the lack of Virtual PC, I just can't find enough value in going through the migration hassle to move to the MacBook Pro. Once I have a good Windows solution, I'm sure I'll migrate, but until then....

- Kelson

jaw04005
Mar 16, 2006, 04:44 PM
The last revision to the TI line pretty much fixed the paint chipping and hinge problems. I miss the TI line also. It was very durable.

The AL PowerBooks are easily dented. I've had my 12" PowerBook dented twice by Apple service technicians trying to get the case off. Both times, the bottom case had to be replaced.

Peyton
Mar 16, 2006, 04:48 PM

Now, this would not normally be funny, except I have a brand new MacBook Pro 2.0ghz fully loaded sitting right next to it.

With the lack of Virtual PC, I just can't find enough value in going through the migration hassle to move to the MacBook Pro. Once I have a good Windows solution, I'm sure I'll migrate, but until then....

- Kelson

Um, no offence, but wouldn't it have been smarter to just wait until the mbp would have been more useful before you bought it? It would surely have a speed bump by that time and DL DVD. I mean, seems like you like you Ti pretty good. whatever floats your boat :rolleyes:

lamina
Mar 16, 2006, 06:13 PM
My psyc prof has one of those, and it looks like the hinge for his screen is crapping out. He has to adjust it once in a while, and when he does, you can see the apple on the back of the screen flickering.

Here ya go....:)

zap2
Mar 16, 2006, 06:16 PM
my teacher has one, its nice but somewhat slow(he boots OS X and 9, but he has more software in OS 9 so he use that more!:eek: (and does not have tiger yet)

California
Mar 16, 2006, 06:37 PM
In terms of pure aesthetics, the Titanium Powerbook was a triumph of industrial design. It harkens back to early thirties ideas of Machine Age and streamline stylistics. They were one hunk of good looking industrial design. And they are so easy to work on and durable. A friend dropped hers out of a WINDOW two stories up and the logic board and hard drive and superdrive still worked. Amazing.

Kingsly
Mar 16, 2006, 06:42 PM
yeah, redefine it to something less sexy than the tibooks were. :p

the tibook really was one of apple's all time best designs. The Albooks are nice too, but they're missing something... let's call it "soul." ;)
I would have to disagree. Granted, I never had a TiBook and have only used them personally a few times, but I much prefer the FF of my MBP. The hinge and little doors for the ports look awkward. The MBP/AlBook has some of the cleanest lines on a I've ever seen on a laptop.
I do agree they seem a little colder "soul" wise than, say, an iBook.
*hugs MBP*

coachingguy
Mar 16, 2006, 07:10 PM
My father has owned a 667 TiBook since about 3 days after they came out. He has used that nearly daily for what six years? His only complaint, can't use DVD's. He had the hinges replaced once, the RAM is maxed out and he upgraded the HD. He's got a quad G5, 2 23" monitors connected, really a state of the art set up. He travels quite abit, his office will buy him a new laptop and has volunteered to many times. He won't upgrade til "My TiBook totally craps out!" as he often says. When he does, he'll probably go with a G4 AluBook. He has no interest in the intel books. I've rambled more than I should, the moral of the story is pretty much any TiBook owner I've known Love them to death.

Coachingguy

the Helix
Mar 16, 2006, 07:26 PM
My father has owned a 667 TiBook since about 3 days after they came out. He has used that nearly daily for what six years? ...the moral of the story is pretty much any TiBook owner I've known Love them to death.

Coachingguy

I agree. I will never give up my TiBook. I've dropped it five times (taking it out of my backpack at Starbucks. It would always tumble on to the table top) and is still working like a charm.

No matter what, the TiBook was revolutionary in industrial design. The Al PowerBooks are living off of the pedegree of the TiBooks.

In fact, if you look carefully, there are still more ads using TiBooks as model computers than any other - even today.

Shamus
Mar 16, 2006, 07:47 PM
I never realised the TiBooks were actually made of Titanium! :eek: I always thought it was just a cool name. But now I know...THAT IS SO COOL! :)

crazzyeddie
Mar 16, 2006, 08:37 PM
I love my TiBook dearly, but I just had to upgrade to a MBP because of the speed difference. But the TiBook will always hold a special place in my heart. It still runs stuff faster than any Mac mini (PPC) that you can get, and even runs recent games at playable frame rates.

iShane
Mar 16, 2006, 09:28 PM
The paint chipping on the borders was also an issue.

These both happened to me!

iShane
Mar 16, 2006, 09:29 PM

- Kelson

Haha, I'll take that off your hands. :cool:

onthat
Mar 16, 2006, 09:48 PM
just a little bit of enlightenment here, did any of you know that titanium is actually not an earth-metal, nor manufactured by any combination of earth-metals...titanium itself is alien. Not long ago, a meteorite hit in Russia, guess what they found inside.;)
However, since their is so little of the natural metal, It is generally mixed with other metals.

motulist
Mar 16, 2006, 10:39 PM
The aluminum PB weathers better than the titanium PB. I've heard reports of paint chips and areas that look corroded on the Ti Book. I've had my Al Book for over 2 years and the only physically damaged areas are the plastic covering on the command key wore off, there's a dent on the side from when it fell off a chair, and the little rubber feet fell off. The AlBook is a rugged monster.

_bnkr612
Mar 16, 2006, 11:00 PM
In terms of pure aesthetics, the Titanium Powerbook was a triumph of industrial design. It harkens back to early thirties ideas of Machine Age and streamline stylistics. They were one hunk of good looking industrial design. And they are so easy to work on and durable. A friend dropped hers out of a WINDOW two stories up and the logic board and hard drive and superdrive still worked. Amazing.

Prove it. I want photos of the window and a reason WHY she had it so close to a window.

onthat
Mar 16, 2006, 11:11 PM
it probably landed in a fluffy bush.

or maybe the place was built into a hill and her second story room just happened to be 3 feet off the ground.

generik
Mar 17, 2006, 12:17 AM
just a little bit of enlightenment here, did any of you know that titanium is actually not an earth-metal, nor manufactured by any combination of earth-metals...titanium itself is alien. Not long ago, a meteorite hit in Russia, guess what they found inside.;)
However, since their is so little of the natural metal, It is generally mixed with other metals.

You serious?! :eek:

Anonymous Freak
Mar 17, 2006, 12:39 AM
You serious?! :eek:

No. Titanium is a metal that can be found all over the Earth. It just happens that Russia has the most productive mines for it. Every element that isn't man-made (man-made is everything on the periodic table from Plutonium up) has been found naturally occurring on Earth. Most aren't found as the 'pure' element, but as a compound, but they can be found.

And in most industrial uses, Titanium is used alone, since there are few alloys of it that are useful.

If you want an unbelievable (but true) story, the Air Force's retired SR-71 mach-3 spyplane was built largely out of Titanium. The Air Force wanted more SR-71's than the US' supply of Titanium could produce. So the CIA set up a bunch of shill companies to buy the Titanium from the Soviet Union, the very nation the plane was being built to spy on. (See 'Skunk Works (http://www.google.com/search?q=ISBN+0316743003)' the biography of Ben Rich, for more fun information on the SR-71.)

Kingsly
Mar 17, 2006, 12:52 AM
If you want an unbelievable (but true) story, the Air Force's retired SR-71 mach-3 spyplane was built largely out of Titanium. The Air Force wanted more SR-71's than the US' supply of Titanium could produce. So the CIA set up a bunch of shill companies to buy the Titanium from the Soviet Union, the very nation the plane was being built to spy on.
That is hilarious. Go CIA!:p

onthat
Mar 17, 2006, 01:18 AM
woah! so much for the public school system...My physical science teacher(Ms. Jordan) totally lied to me.

However I know for a fact that it is hardly, if ever, used alone. At $100/lb. and with the balance it can create with aluminum?

p.s. I don't think titanium has ever been found as a pure metal, merely attached to other things...it's even in the human body. I hardly believe there are titanium mines anywhere, even Russia. Titanium has to be isolated just as gasoline, and the like, must be removed from petroleum.

California
Mar 17, 2006, 01:25 AM
Prove it. I want photos of the window and a reason WHY she had it so close to a window.

I shouldn't say "dropped" I shoulda said "Thrown" out the window.

Abusive boyfriend. Ripped it out of the wall and tossed it out the window.

Don't know how to prove it, except I saw it. Of course, as it was open and running at the time, the screen was torn off in the fall.

onthat
Mar 17, 2006, 01:36 AM
so wait...the only things that still worked were the HD, Superdrive, and logic board? ...but she still had to send it in for repair right?

more importantly, what was your reaction to everything that took place? You didn't just stand there gasping did you?

MacsomJRR
Mar 17, 2006, 01:37 AM
I liked my Tibook but the paint chipping, crappy airport reception and it's general flimsiness prevented me from LOVING it. My new MBP has a much more solid build but I don't like the hinge on the back for some reason. I liked the way the Tibook had a little space between the monitor and the actual cpu.

Kingsly
Mar 17, 2006, 01:38 AM
woah! so much for the public school system...My physical science teacher(Ms. Jordan) totally lied to me.
I made it a point to never listen to public school teachers after my history teacher told us Sicily was a city in Italy. I spoke up, and she got mad at me for correcting her!
As fot titanium, is it really that expensive? A friend of mine is doing tesiting using titanium for extra armor in bullet proof vests and he is going to give me some extra. I guess he's a really good friend!

capone2
Mar 17, 2006, 01:44 AM
the guy who bought it was a musician and he collected TiBook's, mine was his second, 867mhz and was looking for a 1ghz model.

i miss it but, mine was full of problems... a new version would be amazing !!

PB 15" 1.67ghz
wht nano 4gb

onthat
Mar 17, 2006, 01:46 AM
unless the price has changed significantly since the publication of the articles I've read, I'd say yes...about $100/lb. of pure "powdered" titanium.

your friend is pretty flippin' awesome in my opinion.

tristan
Mar 17, 2006, 01:57 AM
Having just upgraded from a TiBook to an AlBook, I'll settle the matter of which looks better. The AlBook looks better open (keyboard is nicer), but the TiBook looks better closed (cool cover + ports in back). 'Nuff said. :D

Kingsly
Mar 17, 2006, 01:59 AM
Having just upgraded from a TiBook to an AlBook, I'll settle the matter of which looks better. The AlBook looks better open (keyboard is nicer), but the TiBook looks better closed (cool cover + ports in back). 'Nuff said. :D
Okay. I can live with that.
Thanks!:rolleyes:

bookofjames
Mar 17, 2006, 02:04 AM
sorry to burst your bubble here, but Titanium was discovered in England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium

Titanium metal is not found unbound to other elements in nature but the element is the ninth most abundant element in the Earth's crust (0.63% by mass) and is present in most igneous rocks and in sediments derived from them

Kingsly
Mar 17, 2006, 02:11 AM
Isn't Aluminum somewhere in there? After silica, perhaps?

onthat
Mar 17, 2006, 02:11 AM
...yeah, I already explained my original post...the teacher told us that.

trebblekicked
Mar 17, 2006, 02:38 AM
i'm typing this on a tibook that i love more than life itself. i've put this machine through hell for the past three and a half years, and although i've spent the superdrive, i've got no complaints otherwise. i still use it every day.

i've got a 1ghz tibook (the last model), and none of the G4 powerbook updates offered enough to make me want to upgrade. i'm waiting until they iron out the kinks in the final cut studio universals before i pick up a MBP, so i'm thinking i'll be going on four years of daily use by the time i give this one to my kid sis.

mdavey
Mar 17, 2006, 03:06 AM
I know it has been mentioned before (http://forums.macrumors.com/search.php?searchid=3056614), but amorphous alloys are a much better choice than either Aluminium or Titanium:

* two to three times stronger than Titanium (over 5x stronger than Aluminium)
* two to three times the elastic limit of either Aluminium or Titanium (the ability to return to original shape after high loading or stress - sometimes called 'memory')
* high hardness (scratch resistant)
* excellent strength/weight ratio
* high corrosion resistance
* high wear resistance
* excellent acoustic properties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphous_metal
http://www.liquidmetal.com/technology/default.asp

California
Mar 17, 2006, 12:57 PM
so wait...the only things that still worked were the HD, Superdrive, and logic board? ...but she still had to send it in for repair right?

more importantly, what was your reaction to everything that took place? You didn't just stand there gasping did you?

I was horrified but I was not there when it happened. No she did not have it repaired -- too upsetting.