PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate iPod Hi-Fi?

DCapple
Mar 18, 2006, 03:04 AM
Many rumors says that according to consumers Hi-fi is quite dissapointing if your going to look it with all the apple released products... According to Consumer Reports (http://apple.qj.net/Consumer-Reports-Hi-Fi-is-Mildly-Disappointing-/pg/49/aid/11204) Hi-Fi didn't match the audio quality of the best-sounding (and lower-priced) iPod boomboxes from the past.
If you are a wisse consumer what will be the great factor when buying a product...economy? or quality? :confused:
http://apple.qj.net/uploads/articles_module/11204_6708_large.jpg

jkelly888
Mar 18, 2006, 04:44 AM
i don't really like the ipod hifi because i 've got a better stereo already. anyway, i feel that the ipod hifi is too expensive. if it was $150 or at max $200, it might be a good buy.

Deepdale
Mar 18, 2006, 05:13 AM
Sound quality is more than satisfactory for me, but the design falls flat.

calculus
Mar 18, 2006, 05:54 AM
Have not heard one yet but I like the design a lot. You can get me one for Christmas.

Deepdale
Mar 18, 2006, 06:05 AM
You can get me one for Christmas.

Those holiday wish lists get started earlier each year. I'll put your name down and we'll have to wait for Santa to decide during December. :)

ipodrocker
Mar 18, 2006, 06:05 PM
i dont like the hi-fi ,first even though you can have the iPod docked all the time it keeps on charging the iPod battery when you dont it and this over time will wreck the life of the iPod battery.

why dont apple design the iPod so once charged and plugged in the mains socket it uses main power and not the battery as later down the road we will need to replace the iPod battery.

Also, ive read in places that the frequenies levels on the hi-fi suck too.

Phobophobia
Mar 18, 2006, 06:24 PM
it keeps on charging the iPod battery when you dont it and this over time will wreck the life of the iPod battery.

You would have heard many complaints in reviews if this were the case.

Having the iPod docked in the iPod Hi-Fi doesn't affect the battery life of the iPod. Here is a page made by Apple that explains how the iPod battery gradually loses its capacity to hold charge over time: Battery Info (http://www.apple.com/batteries/)

The iPod Hi-Fi will not affect the iPod battery's capacity because it doesn't make the iPod use its battery, it only charges it. Once the iPod battery is fully charged, the iPod continues to run off the power supplied by the AC adapter of the iPod Hi-Fi, leaving the iPod battery unaffected (and fully charged).

macOSX-tastic
Mar 18, 2006, 06:44 PM
in the apple store regent stret, they have one by the doors at the moment. you can pretty well hear it all over the store, its pretty neat.....but, i wouldnt buy one, as my 60 creative itrigues are more than up to the task:D

S

AstrosFan
Mar 18, 2006, 06:54 PM
I listened to one in my local Apple Store & thought it was fine, though it's difficult to really assess sound quality in such a noisy location.
However, when it first came out & I read the description, I must confess that I was underwhelmed, especially for the price.
The Consumer Reports review is also reason for concern in my mind.

I think if I was in the market for an expensive set of iPod speakers, I would be looking primarily at the Klipsch iGroove or the Bose SoundDock.

Kingsly
Mar 18, 2006, 06:57 PM
I would give it Five out of Five for sound quality.
Two out of Five for price.

jaw04005
Mar 18, 2006, 07:03 PM
I bought one and I must say I'm extremely dissapointed. The sound quality of the Hi-Fi is of a lower quality than my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks. I'm taking mine back next week. Also, just like the universal dock, the dock on the Hi-Fi does not work with the Apple Remote's menu button. :rolleyes:

Despite Apple's claims, there is practically NO seperation.

yac_moda
Mar 18, 2006, 09:14 PM
These look pretty nice :eek:

http://audioengineusa.com/products.htm

NicP
Mar 19, 2006, 08:14 AM
These look pretty nice :eek:

http://audioengineusa.com/products.htm

wow those look heaps better than the ipod hi-fi, i wonder how good they sound

dornoforpyros
Mar 19, 2006, 08:54 AM
hmm big....ugly...and they waited waaay to long to release something like this.

howesey
Mar 19, 2006, 07:46 PM
I would rate as fair, but there are better systems out there. I find it better than the Bose dock (I think most are), but not as good as Monitor Audio's i-deck (http://www.i-deck.com/). I-deck has had a reduction in price also.

StarbucksSam
Mar 19, 2006, 08:03 PM

Very flat. Agreed.

revmac
Mar 19, 2006, 08:44 PM
I listened at the store the other day... Liked them, but for $225! So I will wait for the price to come down.

Prelude2Tragedy
Mar 19, 2006, 08:52 PM
It makes a good doorstop, especially for those pesky heavier doors.

asxtb
Mar 20, 2006, 07:27 AM
I bought one the other day, and I am extremely happy! I think the thing sounds great! It is a little expensive but comparing it to others at my local Apple store, the Hi-Fi blew the others away. Are there better systems out there? Yes, but some of those systems cost a whole lot more than the Hi-Fi. I give it a 5 out of 5.

yac_moda
Mar 20, 2006, 08:21 PM
wow those look heaps better than the ipod hi-fi, i wonder how good they sound

http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/25563

"The quality of the Audioengine 5 is apparent from the moment the speakers are removed from the box. Each hand-built cabinet feels incredibly solid and is finished in high-gloss white, encasing a 5-inch custom Kevlar woofer and 20mm silk dome tweeter. With a frequency response rate of 60Hz-22,000Hz, both the materials and the specifications behind the Audioengine 5 bests every other high-end iPod offering, from Bose's SoundDock to Klipsch's iGroove to Tivoli Audio's iSongBook to AltecLansing's inMotion iM7"

"The Bottom Line
If you're looking for the best sounding stand-alone speaker solution for your iPod, look no further: the Audioengine 5 is second to none. In an increasingly crowded marketplace, Audioengine has managed to bring a decidedly unique offering to the table, one that sees form following function for a change, and without any compromises"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

yac_moda
Mar 20, 2006, 08:46 PM
¡¡¡ WoOoW !!!

The new Mac minis are at Costco in a plastic container ... :eek: :eek: :eek:

... along with the G5 iMacs.

You should have sceen the one that has been on display for a couple of weeks, the LCD is totally blown out.

I think the latest Apple designs might be pretty screwed up because they are building the product to fit into very narrowly defined, totally consumer oriented MASS markets !!!

And I think they are aiming for a certain youth demographic that might not be too sophisticated, maybe people buying there FIRST audio system !?!?!?!

But is this market really big enough to target so specifically.

k24a.ivtec
May 12, 2006, 03:53 PM
You would have heard many complaints in reviews if this were the case.

Having the iPod docked in the iPod Hi-Fi doesn't affect the battery life of the iPod. Here is a page made by Apple that explains how the iPod battery gradually loses its capacity to hold charge over time: Battery Info (http://www.apple.com/batteries/)

The iPod Hi-Fi will not affect the iPod battery's capacity because it doesn't make the iPod use its battery, it only charges it. Once the iPod battery is fully charged, the iPod continues to run off the power supplied by the AC adapter of the iPod Hi-Fi, leaving the iPod battery unaffected (and fully charged).
does the BOSE sound dock work the same way???

Pistol Pete
May 12, 2006, 06:53 PM
compared to the Bose....hands down hi fi wins...

dongmin
May 12, 2006, 08:05 PM
compared to the Bose....hands down hi fi wins...Bose blows. I've found most of the made-for-iPod speakers to be grossly overpriced. All you get out of them is the integrated, compact design. You could do a lot better sound-wise with the dock + 3 piece speaker system for under $200. Or for $300, you can get some really nice studio monitors.

JackSYi
Jun 2, 2006, 04:34 AM
I really want one (just because its from Apple), however, I want to wait to see what they will put in the second revision (wireless built-in?).

Anyways, I got a chance to listen to it at my local CompUSA and the sound is very superb, the only other thing to note is the ability to optically (TosLink [Griffin Technology's Xpress Cable]) stream music (Airport Express).

In a scale of 100, I would give it an 80.

cyberdogl2
Jun 2, 2006, 10:46 AM
It's not a product that's gonna catch fire, cuz not everyone will want one. On a scale of eyebrows, where more bushy = higher rating, I'd give it Larry Kingish type eyebrow.

technicolor
Jun 2, 2006, 12:04 PM
i want one , but not for the price

Edwin the Elder
Jun 8, 2006, 08:22 PM
I bought one. The first one unfortunately was dead in the box. The second one worked fine.

I want it for the backyard - so I wanted an all-in-one unit that's portable. It has very good bass and it pumps out a lot of undistorted power. I like the design personally and it seems to be a solid build. I like the fact the power supply is built in and that it has handles.

The main problem is that it doesn't live up to Steve Jpbs' claim that it's an audiophile's product. It isn't. It's likely equivalent to other comparably priced products - which means you're missing something. In this case, that means a hole in the higher end frequency response. It can also sound muddy if there's too much going on - like in full orchestral pieces. It's fairly senstive to positioning and of course - given it's size - stereo seperation and imaging are not up to hi-fi standards.

Finally the Canadain price - $430 is a bit of a ripoff given the going exchange rate.

But if you're expecting good sound that can drown out the neighbours' kids playing in the pool - as I am - then it's more than adequate.

Just don't expect it to repalce your hi-fi. It won't.

Zwhaler
Jun 10, 2006, 07:05 PM
It's too big, I like my Bose.

dblissmn
Jun 11, 2006, 12:22 AM
For what it is, it is very good -- I think the sound quality is top notch. Also it shows up the competing Klipsch and Bose products to be sadly inadequate by comparison what with their excessive bass and questionable treble. But the stereo separation is a genuine problem, and with this problem and the price of the iPod Hifi, I think a better approach with the iPod is to use it in conjunction with Apple's $99 dock + RCA + remote + charger kit and hook it up to a conventional stereo.

The big problem I see with the iPod HiFi is that it falls awkwardly in between a reasonably cheap way of using the iPod with the very best stereo equipment and units which are genuinely portable. Not all of the latter suck; the Logitech mm50 for example does its job well and makes far more sense as a travel device or even a device movable from one part of the house to the next. I think the best I can say about the iPod HiFi other than already noting that it soundly kicks the iPod docking stations from Bose and Klipsch is that it is something I would consider as a valid alternative to a Bose radio -- but ahead of a Bose radio if only it had a tuner.

Counterfit
Jun 11, 2006, 01:02 AM
I'm just always amazed when some columnist says "great for college students!"

Okay, I don't know about you dude, but I don't have $350 to drop on a speaker that connects ONLY to the iPod, and neither do any of my friends. Especially considering you can get a really nice speaker system (5.1, etc.) for $350, that'll connect to almost anything.

DeSnousa
Jun 11, 2006, 01:21 AM
a speaker that connects ONLY to the iPod

Quote from the Apple site.

The combined analog and digital optical input jack lets you connect iPod Hi-Fi to your computer or any other device with an audio output

I do agree about the other stuff though ;)

dextertangocci
Jun 11, 2006, 05:28 AM
I LOVE the sound it produces:D

I HATE the price of it!:(

Edwin the Elder
Jun 11, 2006, 03:23 PM
After reading some material. I am re-recording my AAC files with Apple Lossless. This makes a huge difference with some music - especially full orchestras. They sounded muddy and lost in AAC. In Apple Lossless, there is good detail. Overall sound quality is much improves, it's still al little short in the treble though.

Since the main puprose is for listening in my backyard, I have 2 options - keep the iPod hi-fi - or take it back for the AV kit and some outdoor speakers. I could then connect up my iPod to my stereo and run some outdoor speakers.

Views?

Sesshi
Jun 11, 2006, 03:37 PM
I borrowed one. It's not terrible but really, it's far too big and very expensive for the performance it delivers. The Bose Sounddock is a better package if you consider the overall impact in a room IMO. If you don't need an 'iPoddy' speaker system, I can recommend getting a dock and a pair of M-Audio DX4's. The total will be slightly over $200 if you include a cable and AC adapter (or you can use a cheap powered USB2.0 hub like those from Belkin). This will deliver better sonic bang for the buck.

Counterfit
Jun 11, 2006, 10:21 PM
Quote from the Apple site.

I do agree about the other stuff though ;)
Wow. How the **** did I miss that this whole time? :confused:

Blue Velvet
Jul 5, 2006, 07:21 AM
http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51208&d=1151190373

Well... having purchased one a few days ago for the MR picnic, I can honestly say that it's worth every penny. Three or four people had iPods with them and shared their playlists with the rest of us. Sound quality from such a small box is superb, clear and powerful... and it is much smaller than the pictures suggest.

I certainly didn't expect the number of adapters for various iPod models but was pleased to see that it had a built-in mains transformer, not an external brick. For a wee while, I assumed you could stream directly to it but that was based on a misreading of the manual; it doesn't have built-in wifi, unfortunately

My only quibbles are:

1) The connector at the back for external audio should have been RCA plugs IMHO rather than a minijack although the optical input would have to be separate... maybe not then.

2) Built-in tone control/EQ would have been nice too rather than relying on iPod's iffy EQ.

But all in all, a superb piece of engineering and to those of you who say it's too expensive then compare it to the competition and you'll see that's its worth it. The quality of the build and sound make it a little special, IMO.

Mr Skills
Jul 5, 2006, 08:04 AM
However, when it first came out & I read the description, I must confess that I was underwhelmed, especially for the price.

As a professional audio engineer, I often get people coming up to me with spec sheets and frequency graphs saying "does this look like a good hi-fi to you?".

My reply - WHATEVER the specs may say - is always the same: "I have no idea, go and listen to the thing."

Having said that, I haven't personally heard it :D (although my colleague has one and loves it!). Price seems a bit steep though...

crazzyeddie
Jul 5, 2006, 08:55 AM
For all the complainers, you can't appreciate the Hi-Fi in a small room. At my Apple Store, we use the display Hi-Fi to listen to music while stocking, etc... The unit more than fills the entire store with awesome sounding music and never gets distorted. That fact alone sold me on the unit, however I don't have a room big enough to appreciate the unit in my house, so I'll probably pass on getting one.

iBagwan
Aug 19, 2006, 10:47 PM
We bought the Altec Lansing iM7 when it first came out and loved it from the first moment! It is so portable and looks great. The sound quality is excellent and we took it everywhere we went. When Apple announced that they were selling the Hifi I told my wife that there was no way I was going to spend that kind of money for something that probably would sound the same as the iM7 IF we were lucky (and that's coming from someone that loves all things mac...). A while later we happened to walk into the Apple store in San Francisco and of course I had to go look at the new hifi, still convinced that there was no way we were going to buy one. The Hifi was on a shelf right next to the iM7 so I cued up the same song and played one and then the other. My wife and I both looked at each other shaking our heads and then I whipped out the wallet and grabbed a box. We were shocked! The sound wasn't just a little bit better it was appreciably better. It doesn't sound like the higher ranges are as good but it's only because the middle tones are so strong. The tweeter is a full range tweeter that does the middle range as well as the hi ranges. You end up with a much fuller and realistic sound. The imagery is excellent and crisp but the separation is not great as in all the ipod speakers. The ported bass holds very true even when you turn it all the way up and the resonance is excellent.

The first thing you notice is how solid the speaker feels, it is not light but it feels impressively stout. There is no tinnyness or rattle at all when big bass is pumping. The design is very elegant and it looks great on a shelf as if it was a standard component in a high end stereo system. That leads to one of the draw backs. When you take the Hifi some where it is really scary! The front grill is very fragile and you could very easily rip or snag it on something. Even worse, if something sharp impacted the grill it could very easily damage the cones of the speakers. I always want to wrap it up in a towel or something and that really hurts it's transportability. That led to another problem. When it first came out there weren't any third party cases available. Within a very short while Waterfield, a great case company, came out with a nice case but it was $149 dollars! Add that to the cost of the Hifi and it's getting up there. Then TuneWear came out with the Concertino Bianco, a white leather case that costs $300! Yes, it is kind of cool but the one thing it doesn't do is protect the front of the Hifi, which is the exact spot that needs to be protected. So for a while we just didn't take it out very often but when we did it performed admirably. At big parties it filled very large rooms and halls with great sound. Just recently, very recently Griffin came out with the Hi-Way, a nice case for $50. Even more recently Gecko Gear came out with the Hi-Fi Traveler for $75 and it got much better reviews then the Griffin so that's what we'll probably buy.

So, that solves the portability question. What else what I have liked to see? I wish the ipod dock was a little bit more recessed some how. The iM7 has a great little flip out holder so the iPod is part of the speaker system. That makes it so you can even move it around while it is playing. The Hi-fi dock is a little bitty thing so the iPod sits on top like a piece of toast in a toaster! You definitely would want to walk around with it and when it is set down some where anyone walking by with a purse or a bag will knock it right off the speaker (we've done it...). It would be nice if it sat flush some how.

The remote for the iM7 is stored in a recessed slot on the back of the speakers. This is GREAT because if you don't have a built in holder you're going to lose the remote. It's not a maybe, it's a certainty. We've lost it a number of times and luckily we've found it each time but it has gone missing for weeks at a time. It is one my major gripes with Apple, why don't they make a little recess for the remote on all their units that have a remote???? They could even make the back of the remote aluminum, white or black so it will look "cool" and fit in with their form factor. I've often wondered if it was done that way as a new income stream, imagine millions of users and half of them losing that damn remote! Let's see, half a million times $29.....

Unless you have the latest ipods, either the video or the nanos, you can't easily raise or lower the treble and or bass. In my case I have the photo ipod but I like the standard settings so unless you're a bass or treble freak it's not a problem but I would rather have the option. I know you can use the equializer built into the iPod but that isn't that easy in a party situation. It is very easy to change the bass or treble on the iM7.

The last thing is just a, "I wish they would do that" kind of wish. I wish the Hi-fi came with two grills. One, the standard black dress grill and two, an out door, get dirty black metal grill. Then you could lug it around and have it out where the people are throwing balls and what not and the damn thing is safe! It would be nice if you could dress it down a little to protect it.

All that aside, we LOVE the darn thing and have become quite enamoured with it's clean look in our house. So, that's my three cents on the matter and I'm sticking with it!

Sesshi
Aug 20, 2006, 04:54 AM
I borrowed one. It's not terrible but really, it's far too big and very expensive for the performance it delivers. The Bose Sounddock is a better package if you consider the overall impact in a room IMO. If you don't need an 'iPoddy' speaker system, I can recommend getting a dock and a pair of M-Audio DX4's. The total will be slightly over $200 if you include a cable and AC adapter (or you can use a cheap powered USB2.0 hub like those from Belkin). This will deliver better sonic bang for the buck.

I have to add a little footnote here that I borrowed it again recently for a garden party, and after playing around with it once again for a while decided to get one because I liked using it. Sometimes I have to say it's not all about the sound but the usability.

bep207
Aug 20, 2006, 07:57 PM
yea

its overrated and overprice

for that money buy something from bang and olufsen

Mac Rules
Aug 20, 2006, 08:12 PM
Gotta say, I heard one the other day, and was quite impressed with the sound and volume and the design is sexy, very simple and smooth, very iPod lol However, the price is a bit crazy, so it might be better to save a bit more and get a set of Bose Speakers for pure quality, or Sennheiser for that matter.

Cheers