Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flir67

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 23, 2005
does anyone know if any of these duo-core chips have thermal heatprotection built in,so the processor won't burn itself up if the cpu fan stopped working,etc.

I know the p4's had them but haven't heard a thing about the centrino's or duo-core ones.

this is goes way back to the days of overclockin and was a nice feature.

thanks in advance.
flir67:)

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
This is particuarly interesting, especially in light of the problems MacBook Pro users have reported with their installations of Windows XP causing heat issues...

If the chips defo did have built in sensors, at least they would be protected.

Does anybody know by the way, if you did have an overheating problem due to intalling windows, whether this would void the warranty?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
technicolor said:
No they expect you to pay 2 grand for a computer for it to burn itself up.That way they can sell more.

If that's the case I'll just unplug this little cable here on my mini, let it burn up, replug the cable back in, and send the cinders in for a replacement under applecare just for kicks! :D

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
I believe that since the later-era P3, Intel has included thermal sensors built onto the CPU. AMD played catch-up in this part of the CPU race.

Motherboard based solutions aren't the same as CPU based ones. Nearly all modern CPUs from AMD and Intel have CPU based protection. The Core Duo shouldn't be any different.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
All Intel's CPUs have overheat protection. That's one of the reasons why they can offer lifetime warranty on their chips, compared to AMD's 3 years limited warranty.

Oded S.

jsw123

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2006
occasionally if i leave my mbp running for a long amount of time it gets real hot and start to smell kind of smokey.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Benjamindaines said:
Thats just the metal, all new PowerBooks (and apparently MBPs) do that, all mine did. If it doesn't go away in a week or to let Apple know.

Mine never did... 12" Rev. C G4 PowerBook. And why would metal smell smokey?

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Mechcozmo said:
Mine never did... 12" Rev. C G4 PowerBook. And why would metal smell smokey?
I don't think it's really the metal that smells, but I've found most electronics (that get hot) can smell funny for the first few weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.