PDA

View Full Version : Updated OSX, now boot-switch gone?

jamesmcd
Mar 19, 2006, 02:08 AM
Hey all,

I installed Windows XP SP2 on my iMac 20" and everything was going fine, until I updated my Mac OS X from 10.4.4 to 10.4.5

Now, when I restart, I do not get the silver apple/windows logo to switch between booting.

My gut instinct tells me that if I bless the xom.efi file again, it will come back, however I just wanted to check with someone.

Backtothemac
Mar 19, 2006, 02:18 AM
Just bless the xom file. That should do it. I updated though and it did not cause a problem at all. Wierd.

mark!
Mar 19, 2006, 02:19 PM
Just bless the xom file. That should do it. I updated though and it did not cause a problem at all. Wierd.

I've read this 'bless' thing many times...what does it mean? :o

Steve1496
Mar 19, 2006, 02:59 PM
I've read this 'bless' thing many times...what does it mean? :o

Sudo bless tells the computer to make the file bootable. So, if you do
sudo bless --folder . --file xom.efi --setBoot

Terminal tells the computer to make the file xom.efi bootable, then setBoot command makes it so that it boots xom.efi when your computer turns on.

Meemoo
Mar 20, 2006, 09:45 PM
So is it true I could remove the file when I don't want to use XP and auto-boot into OS X?

jamesmcd
Mar 20, 2006, 11:45 PM
Wouldn't that leave a blank? Meaning the disk wouldn't start at all? or would it choose a default operating system...

Compufix
Mar 22, 2006, 11:10 AM
my xomhelper app can be used to quickly make sure you have the appropriate xom.efi installed and bless them. You can also REVERT to remove the xom.efi and re-bless the original boot.efi. It can also be used to create the slipstream CD and an iso image of that CD.

-Compufix

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=362