PDA

View Full Version : iPod charger question:

munckee
Mar 19, 2006, 07:35 AM
I bought one of the square ipod chargers from apple (the kind that looks like a mini version of the laptop power bricks). It comes with the adapter to plug the brick itself into the wall. Would it be ok to switch that for the longer cord that comes with my ibook? (pull the plug adapter off the power brick and replace it with the cord adapter)

Warbrain
Mar 19, 2006, 08:50 AM
I bought one of the square ipod chargers from apple (the kind that looks like a mini version of the laptop power bricks). It comes with the adapter to plug the brick itself into the wall. Would it be ok to switch that for the longer cord that comes with my ibook? (pull the plug adapter off the power brick and replace it with the cord adapter)

I'm not sure that it would even fit. The brick for the iPods is much smaller than the ones for the iBook and Powerbook. And if you did manage to fit it in, I don't think it would be a good idea to use it.

munckee
Mar 19, 2006, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure that it would even fit. The brick for the iPods is much smaller than the ones for the iBook and Powerbook. And if you did manage to fit it in, I don't think it would be a good idea to use it.

Apparently it doesn't, not because of a size issue, but the plugs on the unit are a slightly different shape. Guess this is a moot point. Thanks.

macOSX-tastic
Mar 19, 2006, 12:17 PM
i think it's unwise to use the powerbrick with anything other than the supplied goods......theere may be compatibility issues, and when you're playing around with power the risks definitely are greater than the benefits.

S

Scarlet Fever
Mar 19, 2006, 03:50 PM
ive put a cable into my iPod block, with no damage. As far as i know, all the plug heads and cables are of the same size. See if it fits (which it should), then plug it in. It should work alright.

lamina
Mar 19, 2006, 11:54 PM
Using the longer cord that came with an Apple laptop is no problem, the connectors are the same size. I couldn't really believe it myself when I tried it myself... the smaller size of the iPod charger is deceiving.

munckee
Mar 20, 2006, 03:40 PM
Ok, how the heck are you guys getting this to work? My plugs were different shapes (the sorta "8" looking part that inserts first into the powerbrick) :confused:

Guess I'll have to go home and look at my older ones. I have three powerbricks with cords (one brick doesn't work, but I figure the cord should still). Maybe with some shuffling and I make this whole thing happen.

Scarlet Fever
Mar 20, 2006, 06:30 PM
Ok, how the heck are you guys getting this to work? My plugs were different shapes (the sorta "8" looking part that inserts first into the powerbrick)
ah yes, i forgot. The old blocks have the "8" plug, the new ones have a "B" plug. The "8" fits into the "B", but not the other way around.