PDA

View Full Version : The I love my iBook thread

carve
Mar 19, 2006, 02:38 PM
Hi you all ibook owners i'm a new switcher to mac ( even though I use macs all the time) I just set this thread up to see how many iBook user's are out there. In this thread we can talk about rumorded intel iBooks, problems with them, Software, and pretty much everything about iBooks you can think of.

Your fellow iBook user:)

twigs
Mar 19, 2006, 03:09 PM
I've also loved my ibook, when it was working.
The reed switch cable on my ibook G3 busted three times in the three years I owned it. So I got the G4 model a little over a year ago, and this month, just after the warranty expired, logic board went out.
It's a nice looking computer and it's fun to use. But from my experience these ibooks have been really unreliable, only working for about a year before the next expensive repair.
Anybody out there have a similar experience?

carve
Mar 19, 2006, 03:16 PM
oooh that's gotta hurt!

Scarlet Fever
Mar 19, 2006, 03:41 PM
im waiting for the Intel iBooks to come out. I cant wait!

As for the iBooks being unreliable, my uncle had one, and the logic board died. He got it replaced, then died again. hes in the process of getting a whole new machine now. My cousin has the G3 one, and has had it for ages without a problem. My mum has a toshiba POS and its logic board has died 3 times. On the third, they finally decided to replace it with another POS. At least this POS is doing what windows users call "running"

Conclusion: If a motherboard dies, on any computer, especially laptops, back everything up, and treat it with care. iBooks are probably the most sturdy laptop on the market. Love em!

California
Mar 19, 2006, 03:55 PM
I've also loved my ibook, when it was working.
The reed switch cable on my ibook G3 busted three times in the three years I owned it. So I got the G4 model a little over a year ago, and this month, just after the warranty expired, logic board went out.
It's a nice looking computer and it's fun to use. But from my experience these ibooks have been really unreliable, only working for about a year before the next expensive repair.
Anybody out there have a similar experience?

I take it you had a 1ghz 12" or a 1.2 14" iBook that died? what did you do with the machine?

Tough luck but wow, Applecare is so worth it.

I loved my iBooks and I had a 1ghz, 12", a 1.2ghz 14" a 1.33ghz 14" and a 1.2ghz and 1.33 12" and a 1.42ghz 14". I'd like to get another 1.42ghz 14" next time around. Never had the 800mhz G4 12" or the 1ghz 14", they seemed too rev A.

TaKashMoney
Mar 19, 2006, 04:05 PM
bought my first mac last summer. The 1.33ghz 12" ibook. And oh yeah i love it. It's the most reliable, convenient, sturdy, beautiful machine i have ever owned.

zap2
Mar 19, 2006, 04:08 PM
i love my iBook! however i like the my iMac G5 more, as i have had it longer:)

But its likely i will have my iBook for ever, even if its just for a ''quick" laptop when it becomes old:)

iSaint
Mar 19, 2006, 04:09 PM
I bought my G4 iBook, my first Apple computer, in August of 2004. I have had no problems with it at all. I love it! After years of messing with a Compaq desktop (messing = reinstsall OS every week or so, computer wouldn't turn on half the time), I made the switch along with a friend. I couldn't be happier.

Unless, it had higher resolution screen capabilities. :p :D

My name is iSaint, and I Love My iBook!

twigs
Mar 19, 2006, 04:34 PM
California:
The ibook is a G4 800, a 12-incher. Right now I'm not sure what to do with it really. The repair will cost about as much the computer did a year ago. Buying a new laptop is a possibility, but it most likely won't be an apple this time. The OS is great but the hardware failures have really busted my wallet. As a poor grad student, I simply need something that will work.
My hope is that apple decides to extend the logic board replacement program to fix this problem on the G4 models. I've seen many similar posts on mac forums from other G4 ibook users with this same problem.

California
Mar 19, 2006, 05:54 PM
California:
The ibook is a G4 800, a 12-incher. Right now I'm not sure what to do with it really. The repair will cost about as much the computer did a year ago. Buying a new laptop is a possibility, but it most likely won't be an apple this time. The OS is great but the hardware failures have really busted my wallet. As a poor grad student, I simply need something that will work.
My hope is that apple decides to extend the logic board replacement program to fix this problem on the G4 models. I've seen many similar posts on mac forums from other G4 ibook users with this same problem.

Yeah, it's a rev A iBook.

I guess if I were you I'd look at is as a way to upgrade and drop in a 1ghz logic board. Any faster boards will not fit in your iBook.

rye9
Mar 19, 2006, 06:08 PM
bought my first mac last summer. The 1.33ghz 12" ibook. And oh yeah i love it. It's the most reliable, convenient, sturdy, beautiful machine i have ever owned.

Ive got the same one and its my first Mac... I must say it's making a great first impression. :)

terriyaki
Mar 19, 2006, 06:17 PM
I love my iBook, too. Got it a couple of days after last summer's revision. I always heard that once I got it it would eventually replace my PC desktop but I never really imagined it would. Now, a few months later, my PC has been degraded to a torrent/media box while I use my iBook for all of my other computing needs. Best purchase ever.

I take her to school and when I'm at home I set her on her iCurve beside my PC's LCD. In a couple of weeks I'll have another LCD just for her. :D

in2themystik2
Mar 20, 2006, 01:05 AM
I love my iBook, too. Got it a couple of days after last summer's revision. I always heard that once I got it it would eventually replace my PC desktop but I never really imagined it would. Now, a few months later, my PC has been degraded to a torrent/media box while I use my iBook for all of my other computing needs. Best purchase ever.

Ditto! I got mine in December and so far I can't stop talking about how much I love it. When I replace my desktop in a couple years I'd love to get the iMac! For now my 12 Inch iBook is my baby and I love the Mac OS as well! The whole switch could not have gone better up to this point!

Chundles
Mar 20, 2006, 01:06 AM
This little baby's been nearly all the way around the world and it still keeps on trucking. It's such a little trooper.

YS2003
Mar 20, 2006, 06:17 AM
I also like my iBook (which I bought around last Sept). Even though I like my PBs more than my iBook, I feel I can use my iBook with more "care-free" fashion than I do with my PBs. It costs less than a PB and its exterior is made of durable plastic, which makes me more focus on using this little machine than caring too much about it. With its RAM maxed out, it can handle CS2 jobs/files quite nicely (but, I admit I prefer working on CS2 file with my PBs with ACDs for better viewing). On the contrary, my PBs are almost always on my computer desk hooked up with ACDs, as I don't want to take them out with me (as they are too nice to take it outside, in my opinion).

SkyBell
Apr 15, 2007, 03:36 AM
I love grave digging. :D

I do love my 800 MHz iBook G3 a lot. It's so thin and sleek, and it run's 10.4 great.

It will eventually be replaced by a MacBook (In about 10 years) but I'm loving it to the max now. :)

danielhayter
Apr 18, 2007, 06:43 AM
I have had my iBook for a year and a half and love it. I upgraded the RAM to 768mb a year ago and am considering upgrading RAM to 1gb or even 1.5gb but not sure that I need that much RAM for the every tasks I use my iBook for. I will keep this iBook at least until Leopard comes out at which points I may consider getting a new Mac laptop. But for the time being I love the iBook portablitity, battery life, quietness (fan only comes on when watching movies for a long time), and the surprising speed of a G4 1.33ghz processor - it boots up and runs the basic programmes I use (iTunes, iPhoto, Safari) at impressive speed.

blunderite1
Jul 25, 2007, 11:19 AM
Hi, I happened on this website on accident, but now that I'm here, I have some questions from anyone that is technically savvy. I bought my Ibook in dec. of 2005. It was great, but of course, as soon as my warranty expired, so did my ibook. I seem to notice that some of you have had zero problems, but those of you that have seem to continue to have problems. My ibook is at the doctor probably getting a new logic board.
Do you think that I can look forward to many more expensive repairs? Is it just luck of the draw? Do some people have the misfortune of getting a problem machine and continue to have problems with it?

I am just worried that I will have future problems when I get my Ibook back.

Thanx

SuperCompu2
Jul 25, 2007, 11:27 AM
Probably just a fluke, and you'll likely get a better board back in the repair with better reliability. If it was a G3 (which I assume not because of the DOP) then you could have more problems regarding video cards and reed switches. But if it's a G4, you shouldn't have many more problems at all.

mkrishnan
Jul 25, 2007, 11:27 AM
Do you think that I can look forward to many more expensive repairs? Is it just luck of the draw? Do some people have the misfortune of getting a problem machine and continue to have problems with it?

Generally, in comparison to other Apple notebooks over the past 6-8 years, the iBook G4 seems pretty low failure rate, although it's worth noting that at most, the oldest iBook G4s out there are only four years old (mine is 3-years, 7-months :o And works like a champion). There are logic board failures, but they seem to occur at a vastly lower rate than on the iBook G3. That seems to be the primary issue, although every computer seems to have a primary failure mode (with the iBook G3s, there were far more frequent logic board failures; with the PB 15" and 17" it was failures of the memory slots, etc).

But with any computer, there are "lemons" -- for instance, it could be that the power supply or the cable harnesses or whatever else causes power surges that keep killing the motherboard (but you keep replacing the motherboard, and it keeps dying). Etc. I don't think it's anything particularly unique to Apple or to iBooks.

anothermacaddic
Jul 25, 2007, 11:48 AM
I just set this thread up to see how many iBook user's are out there. In this thread we can talk about the rumorded intel iBooks

Your fellow iBook user:)

Now this sounds interesting....I hear they may have some problems that they will try to work out by revision 4.

kinetik
Jul 25, 2007, 11:50 AM
Thumbs up for the iBook... bought a 12" 1.2ghz G4 in March '05 and that was the beginning of our total household "switch" from PCs to Macs. (next came an Intel iMac for family use and then a Mac Book Pro to replace my Dell workstation) The iBook still has a happy and much-used place in our home as couch-surfing machine. :) It's been solid so far, with fantastic battery life to boot!

susiemac
Jul 26, 2007, 06:21 AM
We are contemplating buying either a refurbished ibook or powerbook and would like some feedback as to which one is the best to buy. We have had macs and only macs for the past twenty years, but never a laptop. It will mainly be used for the internet, email and watching DVDs. Just something to take along with us when we travel. Would appreciate any feedback!

kusanagi
Jul 26, 2007, 06:43 AM
We are contemplating buying either a refurbished ibook or powerbook and would like some feedback as to which one is the best to buy. We have had macs and only macs for the past twenty years, but never a laptop. It will mainly be used for the internet, email and watching DVDs. Just something to take along with us when we travel. Would appreciate any feedback!

Depends on what ibook/powerbook you're going to get, if its the last revision ibook i'd probably recomend that over a powerbook as its got the polycarbonate casing whcih means when you're traveling it'll take bumps and knocks alot more happier than the aluminum case of a powerbook. of course you are limited to a 12 or 14" screen that is not widescreen so if its mainly for dvds, and you'll be watching them on the laptop a 15" powerbook mgith be the answer.

Either way they're still very robust machines, I still use my iBook quite often.

susiemac
Jul 26, 2007, 08:27 AM
thanks for that reply...have you ever dealt with Wegener Media?

classof2011
Jul 26, 2007, 12:58 PM
I love my iBook.

mward333
Aug 5, 2007, 02:17 PM
I've owned many iBooks, including the final one: 1.42 GHz, 14 inch monitor, 1.5 GB of RAM, 100 GB disk.

I know that I'll have to give in someday and buy a MacBook, but I still love my iBook. I've hauled it all over the world, and it has served me very well!

heatmiser
Dec 6, 2007, 06:25 PM
I recently purchased a G3 iBook from Craigslist. I liked it so much I gave my Gateway to a family member and now use the iBook as my sole computer. I've got my eyes out for a Macbook, but until then, the iBook works just fine. I upgraded the installation from Panther to Tiger, and it's working fine. Playback of vids is choppy, and the hard drive is small, but for surfing the internet, typing documents, and just bringing it along wherever I go, this thing is great. It's extremely portable, yet the screen is sharp, and the computer feels personal. I like it a lot. The only reasons I'm looking to upgrade are the slow processor, the small hard drive, and the USB 1 ports. If I do upgrade though, I'll miss this thing. It's been a while since I've taken pleasure in the simple act of using a computer. This laptop is at least 4 years old, but it does what I need it to (most of it, anyway). It sort of makes you think of how little we actually need to get by, computer wise, despite the billions of dollars spent annually in marketing (by Apple and other corporations) designed to have us think otherwise.

SkyBell
Dec 18, 2007, 01:50 PM
I recently purchased a G3 iBook from Craigslist. I liked it so much I gave my Gateway to a family member and now use the iBook as my sole computer. I've got my eyes out for a Macbook, but until then, the iBook works just fine. I upgraded the installation from Panther to Tiger, and it's working fine. Playback of vids is choppy, and the hard drive is small, but for surfing the internet, typing documents, and just bringing it along wherever I go, this thing is great. It's extremely portable, yet the screen is sharp, and the computer feels personal. I like it a lot. The only reasons I'm looking to upgrade are the slow processor, the small hard drive, and the USB 1 ports. If I do upgrade though, I'll miss this thing. It's been a while since I've taken pleasure in the simple act of using a computer. This laptop is at least 4 years old, but it does what I need it to (most of it, anyway). It sort of makes you think of how little we actually need to get by, computer wise, despite the billions of dollars spent annually in marketing (by Apple and other corporations) designed to have us think otherwise.

Yep, they are awesome. I just wish they didn't have that stupid logic board defect.:(

I don't think USB 1.1 is all that bad. Sure, I could probably use floppy disks faster then it can move files, but it is nice to have any USB at all.

capitalkid
Mar 19, 2011, 11:46 AM
Our family invested in an iBook last week and got it yesterday. My very first computer was an Apple lle (that ran on DOS w/limited memory) The end of that was when I lost the startup disk(and was unable tor replace it as it had been made in 1981 and this was fast forward 1997).

Then I didn't have have a comp for about a year and my dad bought me a windows 98 machine(w/out Internet access). That was stolen out of my storage unit while I was moving into a town house in 2001 and I didn't have another comp until July 2004. ( I used the library or friends comp). I just didn't have the money to invest.

My step dad (well meaning I am sure) used parts from a computer that had been thrown out from the school district to get a comp together for me and put xp home on it. In a little over a year (august 2005) the entire thing had failed.

He put another one together (also xp) for me from parts lying around and it bit the dust just 4 weeks after I brought it home (and this one had never been connected on line as we had not the $ for Internet at the time) In Jan 2006. My brother had to come over and show me how to pull the files from the locked HDD (that I had just transferred over to the new HDD from the prior failed HDD).

I decided to build my own form then on, as I could not afford to invest all at once I began looking at parts and such. We began buying parts in March 2007 and had everything we needed by July 2007 and put our first box together. How liberating I must tell you. We put Xp Home it as well, as Vista had such a bad start(and finish). We had a few things configured wrong at the start and after much fuss were able to overcome it.

Xp Home crashed on me April 2008 and I put a new HDD in and re-installed as the HDD was not salvageable.(which was nice as I only had to come up with about 50$ as opposed to a whole new machine). Then 6 months later (mind you we are the more so than average paranoid windows users, as well with all the safeguards you can find online and checks daily for spy ware,Trojans ect.) it went down again, windows gave me some kind of terrible what is called the On/Off Virus, and I never got in again. We then went down to Best buy and bought a Toshiba Satellite, that came pre-installed with Vista. 9 months later it was toast, and although it was still under manufacturers warranty it still had to be sent away shipping and handling ect ect ect. So that was the end.

I moved us to Linux. My husband was lost without Windows, as he had just begun to use computers since we were together.

The install was successful, and everything worked right out of the box. The only trouble I ran into was the proprietary hardware configured directly for Vista. However Linux does provide in its OS universal drivers (for printers,mp3 players, ect) our Toshiba is hardcore proprietary, so much so that not even Windows XP will run on this machine-Only Vista-. So, it does ok for the most part (95%) but every now and then I have to do a re-install(every 2 months or so) and while we have no threat of virus or back-door hacks from Microsoft, I still have to continually keep up on the OS should the drivers disengage and need a fresh install(which is not time consuming at all as opposed to a windows install) but still I have to figure on messing with it always.

Well, my sons IBM went out (necessitate new optical drive,HDD,memory,and battery) which we also had Linux installed on.

SO I started thinking back to the last time I had a computer that I didn't have to mess with. It was when I was in high school and I had that mac. So I started looking around for a used apple laptop and came upon the iBook.

Wow, impressive sleek sexy machine I have to say. I found a refurbisher in South Carolina who only does Mac's and ordered a Refurb from them. I Ordered the 133ghz 12" G4 and it arrived yesterday morning.

Wow, just wow-and this machine came out 5 years ago-and five years ago this was leaps and bounds ahead of any Pc machine on the market.
I just cannot believe the graphics on this machine, good god if this was 5 years ago, what must the Macbooks be like hu?

I figure it might take me a few days to find my way around, however since I have been on Linux for almost a year now using the GUI is quite similar in its functions and therefore not as much of a learning curve as say a Windows Convert would be. I actually thought it was going to be just as hard as the switch to Linux (which was quite a bit to learn). I activated and updated all the software yesterday and learned to navigate around the desktop and panels. Today I configured the airport and added in our DNS (as our providers is so slow) and my son is playing PBS Kids happily on his new machine. My hope is that my son (who is 7) will be able to be fluent in all three OS's. He currently uses Windows on my dads machine when over there, Linux on the Toshiba and now he will be learning Mac on his machine.

Anyway, I am not going to bring Windows back into my house for both functionality and Moral reasons.

SO I joined here to participate and get advice from others.

I love this little iBook!

WGoins88
Mar 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
I love my G3 iBook for its' design and long battery life (it has a G4 iBook battery), but it's sluggish at best. I might have to try a different web browser though, it's using Safari.

At 500MHz, 640MB RAM, and 256k cache, it actually seems slower than my 333MHz Lombard PowerBook with 192MB ram and 512k cache.... both have 10.3.9 on them. The cache makes a bigger difference than people think.

MacHamster68
Mar 21, 2011, 03:08 PM
I love my G3 iBook for its' design and long battery life (it has a G4 iBook battery), but it's sluggish at best. I might have to try a different web browser though, it's using Safari.

At 500MHz, 640MB RAM, and 256k cache, it actually seems slower than my 333MHz Lombard PowerBook with 192MB ram and 512k cache.... both have 10.3.9 on them. The cache makes a bigger difference than people think.

here are some browsers
http://lowendmac.com/ed/royal/08sr/9-mac-browsers-compared.html
and yes if you run 10.3.9 then camino is best