Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janzenman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
Trying to install Final Cut Pro 5 onto my new iMac G5. The program downlaods but won't open. It keeps giving me a configuration error, which reads: "This software requires certain hardware of software which is not available: 512 MB of memory." Since my conputer has 512 MB of RAM and 1.87 ghz, I can't figure out what the problem is. Should I just take the computer or the program back, since this is the entire reason I bought the computer, or is there a solution?

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
janzenman said:
Trying to install Final Cut Pro 5 onto my new iMac G5. The program downlaods but won't open. It keeps giving me a configuration error, which reads: "This software requires certain hardware of software which is not available: 512 MB of memory." Since my conputer has 512 MB of RAM and 1.87 ghz, I can't figure out what the problem is. Should I just take the computer or the program back, since this is the entire reason I bought the computer, or is there a solution?

hmm. I have FCP5 running no problem on my iMac G5. However I do have 1.5Gb of RAM. Could it be that FCP required 512Mb of Free/Available RAM. Are you running any other applications?

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
yeah, more RAM

you will have a tough time using Final Cut Pro (or pretty much anything on your iMac) with only 512MB of RAM...throw in a gig and you'll have a much better time. Don't know why it won't run with 512, might be the available RAM issue that Danski suggested...

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
1.87GHz?

janzenman said:
Are you sure it's a G5? There were 1.8GHz, 1.9GHz, 2.0GHz and 2.1GHz models of iMac G5, but no 1.87Ghz ones.

Might you be talking about the 1.83GHz iMac Core Duo? If that's the case, FCP 5 won't install on it until the Universal Binary variety is out, which is supposed to be available by the end of this month by way of an up-to-date / disc-mail-in program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.