PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a new iMac...mistake?


Larry
Jan 30, 2003, 07:51 PM
I ordered a 17" iMac direct from Apple the evening of the 29th for my secretary. Right after I did, I thought I'd visit this site to check on rumors about future iMacs.
Well, you know the rumors and the dates of the 3rd or 4th next week.
My order is said to ship 5 to 7 days from the date I ordered.
Will Apple end up shipping me one of the new ones or should I cancel and wait?

el_aarono
Jan 30, 2003, 08:07 PM
Considering you ordered the current (possibly soon to be "old") model, I doubt Apple would send you anything but that. Most businesses allow order cancellations if the item has not yet shipped. Don't know about Apple though...

Good Luck.

dricci
Jan 30, 2003, 08:10 PM
I would have waited at least a week. If you can do without an iMac for an extra week, I'd say to cancel the order (if it's not too late) and wait.

Freg3000
Jan 30, 2003, 08:27 PM
Ok, this is what you absolutely should do.

1) Go to apple.com
2) View your order status
3) Cancel your order

This one is a no brainier. Waiting a mere 4 or 5 days longer to have higher clock speeds, faster system buses, DDR Ram (even if it's not being used to its fullest), Airport Extreme, Firewire 800, 4x DVD burning, etc.

Cancel, your order and replace it Tuesday morning. You will be much happier. :)

arn
Jan 30, 2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000

This one is a no brainier. Waiting a mere 4 or 5 days longer to have higher clock speeds, faster system buses, DDR Ram (even if it's not being used to its fullest), Airport Extreme, Firewire 800, 4x DVD burning, etc.

... for a cheaper price.

cancel that thing.

arn

RBMaraman
Jan 30, 2003, 08:34 PM
If it were me, I would cancel the order and wait to see what comes out next week. But, I'm not you.

How fast do you need this machine? If you need it within 2 weeks, then I would advise you to keep your current order. More than likely, it's going to take 3 to 5 weeks or longer for any newly introduced machine to ship. So, if you need this iMac quickly, you'll need to keep your current order.

Larry
Jan 30, 2003, 08:38 PM
Well, I just checked the status of my order and they now say it won't ship until the 7th. I ordered the promo Office X at the same time and it has already shipped.

Wano
Jan 30, 2003, 08:41 PM
I say you should cancel it! If apple releases a new iMac on the 3rd, which is the rummor, then order that. Even if you need it right away cancel the order with apple, and most likely the price of the current iMac will drop.
So, you will probably be able to get a new iMac for about the same price(unless they drop the price), or if you need it right away get the old(current) iMac for cheaper at macmall, maczonem or somewhere that offers free 512mb upgrade.

jaykk
Jan 30, 2003, 08:51 PM
U can make use of this offer from apple :

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. "


as reported on xlr8yourmac (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/)

hariya
Jan 30, 2003, 08:59 PM
I agree with jaykk unless of course you want the newer machine and the price is not the issue.

Originally posted by jaykk
U can make use of this offer from apple :

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. "


as reported on xlr8yourmac (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/)

Freg3000
Jan 30, 2003, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by arn
... for a cheaper price.

Originally posted by jaykk
U can make use of this offer from apple :

"Should Apple reduce its price on any shipped product within 10 calendar days of shipment, you may contact Apple Sales Support at 1-800-676-2775 to request a refund or credit of the difference between the price you were charged and the current selling price. To receive the refund or credit you must contact Apple within 14 business days of shipment. "
[/URL]

You would get the difference in prices back, but you'd still be paying for older technology; the same technology that was in the iMacs over a year ago.

FlamDrag
Jan 30, 2003, 09:40 PM
BEWARE: Apple's 10 day price guarantee sounds good but think for a second...

If they revise the iMacs, no model will be the same as a model bought before the revision. They'll all have SOMETHING new in them. This disqualifies them from the guarantee since Apple didn't lower the price on the same machine.

I suspect that this is why the low-end PM is a SINGLE 1Ghz. If it were a dual, folks could get refunds - no? (OK, well I just looked, and still wouldn't qualify b/c of FW800 and BT ready)

IF you can wait, cancel. Then again, iMac revisions may never happen. :rolleyes:

That price guarantee isn't worth the energy it takes to burn those pixels into your screen.

reflex
Jan 31, 2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by FlamDrag
If they revise the iMacs, no model will be the same as a model bought before the revision. They'll all have SOMETHING new in them. This disqualifies them from the guarantee since Apple didn't lower the price on the same machine.


But if Apple were to weasel out on it like that, a judge would probably not allow them to. Contracts aren't only about the exacty words contained in them, but also about the "spirit" of the deal.

But I agree with the rest here. If you don't need the iMac for the next week or so, I'd cancel the order and see what happens.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 31, 2003, 07:53 AM
Apple does sometimes ship the newer product for the older one you may have ordered but if they still got one of those somewhere thats what you get! Follow the posts and do what they say and be patient!Call them up and demand the new imac thats about to come out and then get all the specs for it and then email Arn so he can tell us all about it!YES THIS WAS A MISTAKE!

Le Big Mac
Jan 31, 2003, 09:58 AM
Cancel and reorder the same thing. Here's why: If you reorder on Feb. 2, there's no way it will ship until after the new ones are released on Feb. 4. If you don't think the improvements are worth it, you can cancel on Feb. 4 before it ships. You can also look around for better deals on the then-older models. If it looks like a good deal still, then just let your order go through as you placed it. But the key is to cancel the first order now, so it won't ship too soon.

The reason I say this is because I was thinking of getting a Dual 867, but decided to wait for the new version. I figured at a minimum they would add FW800 and bluetooth, and maybe increase the speed. Well, they did, but the dropped the dual processor. The single 1ghz pm is not as immediately attractive, especially since a new iMac is likely to have the same stuff, except for expandability. While the Dual 867 is still available, there's no build-to-order option elsewhere, and I had planned on getting it with a superdrive. Oh well.

Larry
Feb 1, 2003, 11:10 AM
I'm the O.P.
Thanks everyone. I cancelled my order and will reorder hopefully the 4th.
I had seen on several occasions Apple upgrading customers orders that were placed just prior to release of updates, but that would depend on whether they had depleted their stock of the former models.
My problem was compounded in that it was a BTO
and that I had already received my $199 promo Office X sw. Fortunately, I live ~10 miles from the Apple facility in Elk Grove, CA and I was able to return the sw via local delivery service.
Larry

scem0
Feb 1, 2003, 01:18 PM
Even though by saying 'cencel it' I am kind of hurting apple, I can't
allow you to spend so much money on a computer that is about
to be updated. Cancel the order. This is why apple hates rumor
sites...

Dont Hurt Me
Feb 1, 2003, 03:00 PM
I guess we were all in agreement on that one! Also scemo is that avatar an actual photo of yourself? Just wondering

arn
Feb 4, 2003, 05:35 PM
So Larry,

Did you make the right decision?

arn

MrMacMan
Feb 4, 2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by arn
So Larry,

Did you make the right decision?

arn

Tell me what does he lose, not price or new features, speed upgrades...

I think everything is pos. when you cancled, time to reorder. :D