PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life of...

IanF0729
Mar 22, 2006, 10:45 AM
...a Windows user. One of our servers died. We needed files, hence the McGiver-like attempt to get at them.

I dislike Palm Beach County greatly.

:rolleyes:

If we had been using Macs, I doubt this would have happened.

iGary
Mar 22, 2006, 10:47 AM
Western Digital drives?

macOSX-tastic
Mar 22, 2006, 10:48 AM
looks like a dirty dirty mess. persuade your people to get XServes.

S

IanF0729
Mar 22, 2006, 10:50 AM
Western Digital drives?

Yes, actually. Two little 8GB disks. In all fairness, these were very old...why they were holding valuable data I have no idea.

Honestly, the Snapper had EDO RAM in them! I nearly choked.

FSUSem1noles
Mar 22, 2006, 10:58 AM
...a Windows user. One of our servers died. We needed files, hence the McGiver-like attempt to get at them.

I dislike Palm Beach County greatly.

If we had been using Macs, I doubt this would have happened.

Here in Broward County, we're 90% Mac... if not more.

I absolutely love it!! :D

IanF0729
Mar 22, 2006, 10:59 AM
looks like a dirty dirty mess. persuade your people to get XServes.

Heh, they poke fun at me when I start working on my iBook, XServes are not in the picture.

IanF0729
Mar 22, 2006, 11:07 AM
Here in Broward County, we're 90% Mac... if not more.

I absolutely love it!! :D

Do you work for the county or a private company?

quicksilver77
Mar 22, 2006, 11:26 AM
Why woudl this have not happened had u been using xserves? They are hard drives? Are they not? Do xserves have some magical data system to never have drive faults? Why didn't u back up the data on DAT or DVD or god you know...RAID? Why bash a windows server.

IanF0729
Mar 22, 2006, 11:28 AM
Why woudl this have not happened had u been using xserves? They are hard drives? Are they not? Do xserves have some magical data system to never have drive faults? Why didn't u back up the data on DAT or DVD or god you know...RAID? Why bash a windows server.

'Cause I was frustrated - bashing Windows always seems to help. Of course XServes would be just as likely to end up with a bad HDD.

I didn't back data up because I assumed our IT department was doing that...like they do with our other servers.

:p