PDA

View Full Version : is 'AlBook' or 'AluBook'?

iAlan
Jan 31, 2003, 08:22 AM
I got to put my dirty fingerprints on one of the new 12" Powerbooks at Bic-Camera in Shinjuku. Actually, I almost hugged it it was soooo cute :p

All up, I liked the form factor, although the colour was different than I expected and the keys are a little tacky looking, but a nice piece of machinery none-the-less. I am very close to selling my iBook and getting the 12" PB.

By the way, what do you call the new beasts 'AlBook' or 'AluBook'. I prefere AluBook as it sounds lke a combination of Aluring (spelling?) and Powerbook, and they really are...

I might have to change my sig if I get a twelvie!

Bear
Jan 31, 2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by iAlan
By the way, what do you call the new beasts 'AlBook' or 'AluBook'. I prefere AluBook as it sounds lke a combination of Aluring and Powerbook, and they really are...

I've been mostly seeing it as AlBook.

cubist
Jan 31, 2003, 09:02 AM
I had been using "alubook" but "albook" is easier to say and sounds better.

Chaszmyr
Jan 31, 2003, 09:19 AM
Most people have been saying AlBook, but personally i prefer AluBook

FlamDrag
Jan 31, 2003, 10:53 AM
Al12, Al15 (when...) and Al17 - faster, easier and no confusion.

voicegy
Jan 31, 2003, 11:01 AM
I like, and have mostly seen, AlBook, as it sort of follows from what the Titanium PowerBook was referred to...the 2 letters of the element.

TiBook
AlBook

Of course, everytime I say it out loud, I'm reminded of the husband in the show Married With Children...but nonetheless, it rolls of the tongue easier than Ah-Loo-Book (AluBook)

Skandranon
Jan 31, 2003, 12:14 PM
I prefer sticking to America's affinity with acronyms and busting out the ol' Aye-Pee-Bee.

APB

:cool:

dricci
Jan 31, 2003, 01:08 PM
Aluminum + PowerBook
AlumiBook :D

Kid Red
Jan 31, 2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by FlamDrag
Al12, Al15 (when...) and Al17 - faster, easier and no confusion.

ditto

moby1
Jan 31, 2003, 01:20 PM
AluMini & AluMaxi Books? :p

szark
Jan 31, 2003, 01:36 PM
I've been using ABook, but the true name is whatever you think it should be. ;)

GeeYouEye
Jan 31, 2003, 02:39 PM
My, my, my... didn't realize there was such a debate... I've just been calling them 12", 15", 17" TiBooks... and yes, I do know they're aluminum.

MacCoaster
Jan 31, 2003, 04:51 PM
Seriously. Who the hell cares? AlBook, AluBook, it's the same thing. :D :p

BTW, I use 'AlBook' because I prefer to stick with the atomic nomenclature.

I wonder when there is going to be an UBook. :p

RaNdOm
Jan 31, 2003, 04:58 PM
...I'm new to macs, but was there ever a debate on what to call the Titanium Powerbooks? I would guess that there wasn't. It just happened that everyone just called them Tibooks, so that is going to be what happens here. I think people will get tired of typing out Alubook or Albook or whatever....switch to something simpler like Al17...but now that I reach for those number keys, I think that is just as difficult as writing Albook...I thought I had a point, but now I realize I really don't ...continue

pimentoLoaf
Jan 31, 2003, 05:16 PM
AluMac.

yzedf
Jan 31, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by voicegy
I like, and have mostly seen, AlBook, as it sort of follows from what the Titanium PowerBook was referred to...the 2 letters of the element.

TiBook
AlBook

Of course, everytime I say it out loud, I'm reminded of the husband in the show Married With Children...but nonetheless, it rolls of the tongue easier than Ah-Loo-Book (AluBook)

I second that.

cubist
Jan 31, 2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by MacCoaster
I wonder when there is going to be an UBook. :p

1 inch thin - just 47 pounds! :D

zarathustra
Jan 31, 2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by moby1
AluMini & AluMaxi Books? :p

Sounds too much like "feminine hygiene" products... :D

janey
Feb 1, 2003, 12:47 AM
AluBook is so cute...but if you're going for the atomic symbol thing then AlBook is okay I guess.

but alubook has that 'thing'. it's adorable, and it 'describes' the PB very well and it just gives you that feeling inside...or maybe it's because my bf called it the alubook...and APB wouldn't work because we already have too many acronyms in life (especially in computers).

yosoyjay
Feb 1, 2003, 01:15 AM
I think AlBook is appropriate because the precedent was set by the TiBook to use the casing material's elemental symbol.

iAlan
Feb 1, 2003, 04:37 AM
Well, I really didn't think I would get so may alternatives to my initial question. We have (in no particular order...

AlBook
AluBook
Al12
Al17
Al15 (hopefully soon!)
AluMini
AluMaxi
ABook
12", 15", 17" TiBooks

With the most popular being AlBook - following the atomic nomenclature.

I guess AlBook it is...:)

GrandShenlong
Feb 1, 2003, 12:04 PM
the UBook would hafta be deep purple, definitely un-Apple.
:D ;)

Jimong5
Feb 1, 2003, 12:21 PM
I just say Power Book, why does it matter what its made of, as long as its thin, light, and portible.

Phil Of Mac
Feb 1, 2003, 01:18 PM
The official chemical symbol for aluminum is "Al", hence, "AlBook". Much like TiBook.

TiBook was an official name given by Jobs at the announcement. (The same announcement where he said "sex" about 500 times.) AlBook was never given as an official name, but it isn't a bad idea.

janey
Feb 1, 2003, 05:12 PM
16 yr old HS Senior
1550 SAT I
800 SAT II MathIIc
800 SAT II Physics
PC guy

Dude! those are some sweet SAT scores! But you're a PC guy...:rolleyes:

I still like AluBook. It still sounds cooler than AlBook. And when I say AluBook people understand me, when I say AlBook people think that i'm talking about al's book or something.

Mr Jobs
Feb 1, 2003, 05:58 PM
hey i got an idea. y not stick to what apple calls it...'PowerBook'. for gods sake 'AlBook' sounds an looks stupid.

janey
Feb 1, 2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Mr Jobs
hey i got an idea. y not stick to what apple calls it...'PowerBook'. for gods sake 'AlBook' sounds an looks stupid.
but but...then people don't know what on earth you're talking about...a pismo or a 17", etc.

evoluzione
Feb 1, 2003, 06:31 PM
and what is so wrong with just saying, the new [insert size here] powerbook??? emphasis on new, for those that don't even know it's aluminum (personally i say aluminium as i'm english, we put a second i in it and pronounce it ah loo min ee um, or something like that)

janey
Feb 1, 2003, 06:48 PM
well, alubook has that extra thing in it.
girls dig it.
and the way you guys pronounce aluminum is so cute...just like jonathan ive ;)

Jimong5
Feb 1, 2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by übergeek

but but...then people don't know what on earth you're talking about...a pismo or a 17", etc.

Powerbook G3, G4, 667, 17" ETC, not too hard to discern.

MacFan25
Feb 1, 2003, 06:55 PM
I usually call it the AlBook. I don't really care what everyone else calls it, as long as I know what they are talking about.

janey
Feb 1, 2003, 06:56 PM
still.
everyone is entitled to their opinion and i won't do anything to you if you like some other name for the 12/17" Aluminum PowerBook G4 laptops more than AluBook...but AluBook is the way I like it. :D

scem0
Feb 1, 2003, 10:39 PM
I prefer to call it the PB12 (or PB17)... the whole Al thing just
doesn't seem cool at all to me :o ;) :D