Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
I got to put my dirty fingerprints on one of the new 12" Powerbooks at Bic-Camera in Shinjuku. Actually, I almost hugged it it was soooo cute :p

All up, I liked the form factor, although the colour was different than I expected and the keys are a little tacky looking, but a nice piece of machinery none-the-less. I am very close to selling my iBook and getting the 12" PB.

By the way, what do you call the new beasts 'AlBook' or 'AluBook'. I prefere AluBook as it sounds lke a combination of Aluring (spelling?) and Powerbook, and they really are...

I might have to change my sig if I get a twelvie!

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: is 'AlBook' or 'AluBook'?

Originally posted by iAlan
By the way, what do you call the new beasts 'AlBook' or 'AluBook'. I prefere AluBook as it sounds lke a combination of Aluring and Powerbook, and they really are...
I've been mostly seeing it as AlBook.

voicegy

macrumors 65816
I like, and have mostly seen, AlBook, as it sort of follows from what the Titanium PowerBook was referred to...the 2 letters of the element.

TiBook
AlBook

Of course, everytime I say it out loud, I'm reminded of the husband in the show Married With Children...but nonetheless, it rolls of the tongue easier than Ah-Loo-Book (AluBook)

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
My, my, my... didn't realize there was such a debate... I've just been calling them 12", 15", 17" TiBooks... and yes, I do know they're aluminum.

RaNdOm

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Tibook Debate???

...I'm new to macs, but was there ever a debate on what to call the Titanium Powerbooks? I would guess that there wasn't. It just happened that everyone just called them Tibooks, so that is going to be what happens here. I think people will get tired of typing out Alubook or Albook or whatever....switch to something simpler like Al17...but now that I reach for those number keys, I think that is just as difficult as writing Albook...I thought I had a point, but now I realize I really don't ...continue

yzedf

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2002
Connecticut
Originally posted by voicegy
I like, and have mostly seen, AlBook, as it sort of follows from what the Titanium PowerBook was referred to...the 2 letters of the element.

TiBook
AlBook

Of course, everytime I say it out loud, I'm reminded of the husband in the show Married With Children...but nonetheless, it rolls of the tongue easier than Ah-Loo-Book (AluBook)

I second that.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
AluBook is so cute...but if you're going for the atomic symbol thing then AlBook is okay I guess.

but alubook has that 'thing'. it's adorable, and it 'describes' the PB very well and it just gives you that feeling inside...or maybe it's because my bf called it the alubook...and APB wouldn't work because we already have too many acronyms in life (especially in computers).

yosoyjay

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2002
Canada
I think AlBook is appropriate because the precedent was set by the TiBook to use the casing material's elemental symbol.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 11, 2002
Well, I really didn't think I would get so may alternatives to my initial question. We have (in no particular order...

AlBook
AluBook
Al12
Al17
Al15 (hopefully soon!)
AluMini
AluMaxi
ABook
12", 15", 17" TiBooks

With the most popular being AlBook - following the atomic nomenclature.

I guess AlBook it is...:)

Jimong5

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
I just say Power Book, why does it matter what its made of, as long as its thin, light, and portible.

Phil Of Mac

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2002
Washington State University
The official chemical symbol for aluminum is "Al", hence, "AlBook". Much like TiBook.

TiBook was an official name given by Jobs at the announcement. (The same announcement where he said "sex" about 500 times.) AlBook was never given as an official name, but it isn't a bad idea.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
16 yr old HS Senior
1550 SAT I
800 SAT II MathIIc
800 SAT II Physics
PC guy

Dude! those are some sweet SAT scores! But you're a PC guy...:rolleyes:

I still like AluBook. It still sounds cooler than AlBook. And when I say AluBook people understand me, when I say AlBook people think that i'm talking about al's book or something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.