PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Retail Stores in 2006

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Mar 26, 2006, 09:09 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

ThinkSecret details (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0603retail.html) a number of new Apple retail stores that have opened in 2006 as well as a number that are planned to still open before the end of the current fiscal year.

These include a prominent new Manhattan location as well as a number of international locations including Japan, Canada, England, and Italy.

The midtown Manhattan location was previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/02/20060210073830.shtml) to be a new "flagship" location that will be open 24-hours a day.

ThinkSecret also posted photos (http://www.thinksecret.com/cgi-bin/pic.cgi?i=/archives/0603midtown/nyc1.jpg&p=0603retail) of the unique store.

paddy
Mar 26, 2006, 09:12 AM
Hopefully they'll give us Irish a dedicated store. I'd love a place to try out all the newest kit.

ineedmoresleep
Mar 26, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the Apple store in Freehold, NJ will be opened before, or possibly shortly after, end-2006. They're already under construction in the mall there.

Here's hoping. I need my Apple store fix! :)

w_parietti22
Mar 26, 2006, 09:21 AM
Is it just me, or is that new Apple Store BLACK??? :eek:

BornAgainMac
Mar 26, 2006, 09:22 AM
What ever happened to those Mini Mac stores?

rye9
Mar 26, 2006, 09:23 AM
I'm really excited just to see the new Manhattan store, I hear its supposed to be HUGE!! :p :cool:

MLM
Mar 26, 2006, 09:26 AM
I'd like to see some Apple store's in scandinavia!

Up here, Apple is something that grows on trees... We need popularity, and the only way to get it, is by getting known.

wedge antilies
Mar 26, 2006, 09:27 AM
This is all good. It adds predtige to the Apple brand. The stores look very nice, I know when I was stateside I took photos of the three stores I visited so i could show people at home,as we ARE NEVER EVER GOING TO GET AN APPLE STORE IN ADELAIDE.

Unless Apple would like to prove me wrong.;)

Please prove me wrong.:D

Please.:o

hyperpasta
Mar 26, 2006, 09:28 AM
What ever happened to those Mini Mac stores?

Failure. Lower profits/sq.foot. Design flaws:

*Bead-blasted metal walls are extreemly expensive
*White plastic floor scuffed a ridiculous amount
*VERY cramped
*Checkout stations shined lasers into people's eyes from across the room

Apple renovated a couple, replacing the floor with granite (which looked ugly with the metal walls) and adding a table in the middle for extra product space (making the store even more cramped).

No more have been built since the original batch, and I'm pretty sure one was actually closed and replaced with a full-size store in the same mall.

DavidLeblond
Mar 26, 2006, 09:28 AM
- Crabtree Valley - Raleigh, North Carolina

Woo! No more driving to Durham like I will do today because my spacebar seems to be acting up.

Someone mentioned the mini stores previously... this store will probably be one of them...

hyperpasta
Mar 26, 2006, 09:29 AM
I'm really excited just to see the new Manhattan store, I hear its supposed to be HUGE!! :p :cool:

I'm pretty excited too... imagine how long the line will be!

direzz
This is all good. It adds predtige to the Apple brand. The stores look very nice, I know when I was stateside I took photos of the three stores I visited so i could show people at home,as we ARE NEVER EVER GOING TO GET AN APPLE STORE IN ADELAIDE.

Unless Apple would like to prove me wrong.;)

Please prove me wrong.:D

Please.:o

lol same with me.. the closest is toronto for me.

mattyturner
West Quay Mall - Southampton, England :eek:

WOOOOO!!

End of the fiscal year, April 07?

LosJackal
Mar 26, 2006, 09:37 AM
Hey look! It's the return of the NeXT Cube!

andrewcod
Mar 26, 2006, 09:38 AM
Huh. I really don't get why we don't have any here in Hong Kong. I mean, China's supposed to be a major IT centre of the world, and yet, I need to book an international flight to Japan just to go to one!

Still, it makes it kinda special for me to go to one when I get the chance. eg. when I was in London on holiday for just a few days, I spent almost a full day of it just browsing around the Apple Store on Regent Street. I tried to leave a few times...but I just couldn't bring myself to do it!:( :eek:

Caitlyn
Mar 26, 2006, 09:41 AM

Same here! Once it's opened up, I'm definitely taking a trip down to the city to check it out. I saw the basic structure being built a few months back. It does look HUGE, but that's just the outside. :)

joepunk
Mar 26, 2006, 09:44 AM
it's a gigantic NeXT Cube.

rye9
Mar 26, 2006, 09:45 AM
Same here! Once it's opened up, I'm definitely taking a trip down to the city to check it out. I saw the basic structure being built a few months back. It does look HUGE, but that's just the outside. :)

Yeah, I'm supoosedly goin to the city in June... I hope its open by then. :D

runninmac
Mar 26, 2006, 09:49 AM
Ah this is dissapointing, I was somehow wishing that the NYC Cube store would be open for me when I got there, oh well Im staying 4 BLOCKS away from the SoHo store!:D

ITASOR
Mar 26, 2006, 09:55 AM
Renovated a couple, replacing the floor with granite (which looked ugly with the metal walls) and adding a table in the middle for extra product space (making the store even more cramped).

Yup, they did this to the mini store in Carousel Mall in Syracuse, NY. Personally, I think it made it worse. That mall is so crowded it seriously has 3 of the same store in it, 2 of others, etc.....I think Apple should get a full size there.

andrewcod
Mar 26, 2006, 09:57 AM
The midtown Manhattan location was previously reported (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/02/20060210073830.shtml) to be a new "flagship" location that will be open 24-hours a day.

:D Seriously...its a cool idea, but how many of us are seriously going to rush out and buy a mac at 3:20am? Is Steve thinking there's a tonne of us who are like, waking up in the middle of the night, panicking we don't own enough macs, and so rushing down to the nearest Apple store to pick up a new PowerMac before coming home to set it up, thus satisfying our thirst for another night?:confused:

ipod0324
Mar 26, 2006, 10:01 AM
That is just the building covering.

Dagless
Mar 26, 2006, 10:07 AM
Is it just me or did that sound like "We're opening another store in America, in Michigan no less! oh and the rest of the world might as well have some more too"

:rolleyes:

But! They're opening one up in Manchester I hear. Which is good. No more travelling to the Trafford Centre for my Apple kicks.

tny
Mar 26, 2006, 10:08 AM
:D Seriously...its a cool idea, but how many of us are seriously going to rush out and buy a mac at 3:20am? Is Steve thinking there's a tonne of us who are like, waking up in the middle of the night, panicking we don't own enough macs, and so rushing down to the nearest Apple store to pick up a new PowerMac before coming home to set it up, thus satisfying our thirst for another night?:confused:

Have you BEEN to New York? Do you KNOW the kinds of things they DO there? I can see it now - a long line of kids stopping at the genius bar to have their iPods fixed in between club hops.

rlreif
Mar 26, 2006, 10:20 AM
Vancouver!!!
come on guys... 3 stores in toronto before Vancouver??!! wtf??

iAFC
Mar 26, 2006, 10:24 AM
What about France? :confused:

kewpid
Mar 26, 2006, 10:30 AM
Pitt Street Mall in Sydney is well-deserving of the Apple Store treatment.

Tigger7
Mar 26, 2006, 10:31 AM
I vote for Fort Wayne, Indiana..................Chicago and Indianapolis are way too far to satisfy a mac addiction...

DTphonehome
Mar 26, 2006, 10:37 AM
Anyone hear anything about the store that's supposed to open across the street from the Empire State building? That's two blocks from me.

EDIT: Whoops, nevermind. It's on the ThinkSecret page as "unconfirmed by Apple"

odedia
Mar 26, 2006, 10:51 AM
What
About
Israel.

Hebrew Support.

Replacing the exclusive Israeli reseller.

I love Apple. But it's not usable for the israeli population at the moment (nor to the Hindi/Greek/Arabic population, as I understand).

Oded S.

sickracer2015
Mar 26, 2006, 10:54 AM
Argh,
All these stores and still no Alaska store..
Hell, even a mini store would be great...

Goldfinger
Mar 26, 2006, 11:07 AM
I'd like to see them invest MUCH more in the European market instead of building extra stores in cities were there already is an Apple Store.
Apple loses soo much in the European market because they have no presence and almost zero advertising here.

bigandy
Mar 26, 2006, 11:15 AM
apple better open one in scotland sooner rather than later. i'm getting annoyed the nearest one is halfway down england. there's two major population centres right here, both within 30mins of me - glasgow and edinburgh. and they need them! although it would be better having it right here in stirling, right next to the bang & olufsen shop, 300 feet from my house!

:D:D:D

swiftaw
Mar 26, 2006, 11:16 AM
Woohoo, I am moving to Omaha, NE in the fall and I thought I would be miles from the nearest apple store. Great, now it'll be far easier for apple to take my well-earned cash.

Sayhey
Mar 26, 2006, 11:17 AM
It's good to see macrumors put this discussion up front. I have to say two things about it though. First, ThinkSecret got most of the story from me. Second, it has almost all been covered already in posts in the New Apple Stores? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=50160&page=47) thread. I did like the new photos of the Midtown store - that was new. If the mods would rather I sent them the stories first, all they have to do is ask. ThinkSecret does and they're very nice about it.

MattyMac
Mar 26, 2006, 11:18 AM

no that is just covering the glass...that cube is actually all glass and will take you underground to the amazing store. I was there a couple months ago, and it is right next to the famous toy store FAO Shwarz...there employees are the ones that told me about the new and exciting apple store to come. I cant wait for the opener...I am soooooo going!

Thataboy
Mar 26, 2006, 11:18 AM
Have you BEEN to New York? Do you KNOW the kinds of things they DO there? I can see it now - a long line of kids stopping at the genius bar to have their iPods fixed in between club hops.

No offense, but have YOU been to NY? :)

I hardly see club kids going from Cielo in the meatpacking district, all the way up to midtown for a $99 iPod case, and then back down to west chelsea for Crobar.

Midtown is uhhh not exactly club/youth central. It is where the suits work. And most suits aren't working at 3am.

It would be a VERY strange place to put a 24/7 store. Soho would make more sense... the potential 34th street location would make more sense? But midtown?

whooleytoo
Mar 26, 2006, 11:20 AM
Hopefully they'll give us Irish a dedicated store. I'd love a place to try out all the newest kit.

Given Apple's policy of only opening stores in prime locations, there are only two real possibilities that they'd consider here, Grafton St. in Dublin or Patrick St. in Cork, and I wouldn't think Grafton St. would suit, being obviously pedestrianised.

I don't know if any of the malls here would suit such a 'boutique' style computer store, but then I don't know the Dublin malls well.

Bishop604
Mar 26, 2006, 11:35 AM
God i have been waiting for this for YEARS!!!:)

ShaggyLR
Mar 26, 2006, 11:35 AM
They are currently hiring employees for an Apple Store just north of Montreal at Le Carrefour Laval. It should be open in the next couple of months. Hopefully they will put a store closer to Downtown Montreal at somepoint as well like they have done in Toronto.

zack.williams
Mar 26, 2006, 11:44 AM
One more in italy please! One near venice!

JeffTL
Mar 26, 2006, 11:48 AM
Village Pointe in Omaha = very good news. I was hoping for downtown, perhaps next to the Holland Center (which, speaking of it, kind of looks like an Apple Store) where Frankie Payne's used to be before the accidental demolition (given the current condition of the property, the owner would probably sell or lease pretty cheaply), but having a store at all will be very much welcome. Come September, I'll be able to take advantage of my studdent discount without worrying about the risks and delays associated with shipping.

dornoforpyros
Mar 26, 2006, 11:53 AM
UGG come on! Less stores in Toronto, how about Calgary?!?!?

SanibelMan
Mar 26, 2006, 12:00 PM
Vancouver!!!
come on guys... 3 stores in toronto before Vancouver??!! wtf??
Seriously. I just spent my honeymoon in Vancouver and it freakin' rocked. You could get one on Robson Street and one in Metrotown. I mean, I'm in St. Louis, which is a much crappier city and about the same size as metro Vancouver, and we have two stores! What is that?

sparks9
Mar 26, 2006, 12:03 PM
Want one in Copenhagen.

Sayhey
Mar 26, 2006, 12:16 PM
Seriously. I just spent my honeymoon in Vancouver and it freakin' rocked. You could get one on Robson Street and one in Metrotown. I mean, I'm in St. Louis, which is a much crappier city and about the same size as metro Vancouver, and we have two stores! What is that?

Think that that is bad, there are rumors (spread by Shawn King of Your Mac Life (http://www.yourmaclife.com/)) that a Calgary store is also on the way before Vancouver. The rumor is that Apple will continue its deal with the Cadillac Fairview (http://www.cadillacfairview.com/client/cadillac/CF_UW_V500_MainEngine.nsf/pagedocid/70379F8D8A5B577185256A33004EB8F5?OpenDocument) group and open a store in its Chinook Centre (http://www.chinookcentre.com/).

gkarris
Mar 26, 2006, 12:23 PM
http://www.thinksecret.com/archives/0603midtown/nyc1.jpg

Looks like there should be a bunch of early human ancestors jumping up and down around it waving bones around...:p

Sayhey
Mar 26, 2006, 12:35 PM
What about France? :confused:

Paris in 2007, if the rumors are true.

wedge antilies
Mar 26, 2006, 12:37 PM
Looks like there should be a bunch of early human ancestors jumping up and down around it waving bones around...:p

Truly a deserving winner...

Still about 5 tears too late.

RIP Stanley

miketcool
Mar 26, 2006, 12:47 PM

Damnit! You beat me by only a few minutes! As long as I don't end up having a Kubrick ending, I'd gladly enter.

puckhead193
Mar 26, 2006, 12:59 PM
Any news on the Providence place, i was hoping to get another shirt before i left school... o well i guess i can go to smith heaven....
the new NYC store, that cube, is that the whole store or just the entrance? :confused:

Counterfit
Mar 26, 2006, 01:01 PM
Providence Place Mall - Providence, Rhode Island
YAY! I hope they start asking for interviews soon, as I hate my current job.

wedge antilies
Mar 26, 2006, 01:02 PM
Damnit! You beat me by only a few minutes! As long as I don't end up having a Kubrick ending, I'd gladly enter.

LOL:D

I wasn't planning to go to NY on my next visit stateside, however this may just tempt me.

WoW! I'm really wearing the Macgeekiness on my sleeve now...

Sayhey
Mar 26, 2006, 01:10 PM

It would be nice to have a little music (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playlistId=72975780&s=143441&i=72975751) played at the opening wouldn't it?

chatin
Mar 26, 2006, 01:31 PM
It reminds me of the Nextcube from 1988 and moon-monolith from the movie 2001. (The current spiral cursor and netinfo manager have survived all subsequent verions.)

Is this is some kind of sign that Mac has taken over the planet?

Hey, that thing is full of Stars.. umm, I mean iPods!

:D

Jerry Spoon
Mar 26, 2006, 01:35 PM
Failure. Lower profits/sq.foot. Design flaws:

*Bead-blasted metal walls are extreemly expensive
*White plastic floor scuffed a ridiculous amount
*VERY cramped
*Checkout stations shined lasers into people's eyes from across the room

Apple renovated a couple, replacing the floor with granite (which looked ugly with the metal walls) and adding a table in the middle for extra product space (making the store even more cramped).

No more have been built since the original batch, and I'm pretty sure one was actually closed and replaced with a full-size store in the same mall.

We do have a mini store in St. Louis (along w/ a full size store) and I guess the floor has been replaced (I've been there many times but don't really remember the floor "changing") The store is frequently crowded, but the openness of it seems to help with that. I like the idea of the mini stores for cities that have one apple store but might not be able to handle a full second apple store. St. Louis is definitely one of those locations. I can see a mini store or two filling that need in larger cities where there are already two or more major stores.

bdkennedy1
Mar 26, 2006, 02:19 PM
It's New York. People are up at all hours of the day and night. A lot of people work 2nd shift.

Whiteapple
Mar 26, 2006, 02:37 PM

isnt racism forbidden on macrumors? :confused:

amateurmacfreak
Mar 26, 2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah, good, new Apple Stores = obvious good.
We already have one here so... neh! :p :D

whooleytoo
Mar 26, 2006, 03:44 PM
Hey, that thing is full of Stars..
:D

Not a bad line for an iPod promo! ;)

Sayhey
Mar 26, 2006, 03:46 PM
We do have a mini store in St. Louis (along w/ a full size store) and I guess the floor has been replaced (I've been there many times but don't really remember the floor "changing") The store is frequently crowded, but the openness of it seems to help with that. I like the idea of the mini stores for cities that have one apple store but might not be able to handle a full second apple store. St. Louis is definitely one of those locations. I can see a mini store or two filling that need in larger cities where there are already two or more major stores.

I think the mini-store is dead, at least in its 1.0 version. Since Apple announce the opening of this new format, no new ones have opened. I resisted in coming this conclusion long after others (Gary over at ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/) was the first) declared them over and done with, but I think, at this point, it is an inescapable conclusion.

Kirbdog
Mar 26, 2006, 03:47 PM
What does it take to get an Apple store in Vancouver?

Jerry Spoon
Mar 26, 2006, 04:08 PM
I think the mini-store is dead, at least in its 1.0 version. Since Apple announce the opening of this new format, no new ones have opened. I resisted in coming this conclusion long after others (Gary over at ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/) was the first) declared them over and done with, but I think, at this point, it is an inescapable conclusion.

Oh, I agree. I was just pointing out that there may be a market for areas within certian cities where having another full size store isn't the best choice. I think the product availability at the mini stores was great for the majority of people. It only seemed to leave out those with heavy needs and if a full store is already available in the city, those individuals probably wouldn't mind a little more of a drive to get the top of the line product.

The layout was definitely minimalist and isn't for everybody, no doubt about it. And it seems appearant from the store announcements, that the mini store must be dead in the water.

We'll see if it gets tweaked and reintroduced by Apple down the road.

FrankieTDouglas
Mar 26, 2006, 04:56 PM
Another store in New York City? Cool.

How about... one... in the entire state of Louisiana? Maybe? One day?

What about just a place I can buy Apple products that aren't iPods in north Louisiana? I searched all around Monroe and Ruston for somewhere that sold the bluetooth mouse, but no one carried hardware. Had to order it online.

Leareth
Mar 26, 2006, 05:07 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that an Apple store in Vancouver is a bad idea? The are a couple of really good resellers in the city who worked hard to get the reputation for fairness and helpfullness even over the years when apple products were not main stream, they are going to lose so much business the an overnight store because it carries the apple logo.
Their prices are exactly the same as apples and they carry the stock at the same time apple does.

spine
Mar 26, 2006, 05:50 PM
Any news on the Providence place, i was hoping to get another shirt before i left school... o well i guess i can go to smith heaven....
the new NYC store, that cube, is that the whole store or just the entrance? :confused:

I heard that will be open in June, in the space formerly Baily, Banks & Biddle.
I am at the mall a lot, and will try to post photos of the store in progress.

ajcannon
Mar 26, 2006, 07:13 PM
What about Columbia, SC or anywhere in South Carolina for that matter. I'm in the Capital city and the closest place where I can go is about an hour away and is a CompUSA. Give us an Apple Store, please.

gauriemma
Mar 26, 2006, 07:44 PM
Stores that have already opened, and possible locations for new ones?

<Yawn>

Wake me when the G5 PowerBooks are announced!

p0intblank
Mar 26, 2006, 07:51 PM
I seriously cannot wait for the Midtown Apple Store to open. My family and I always go to New York City for a few days every summer and you can bet I will be spending a very large amount of time there. :p

DTphonehome
Mar 26, 2006, 08:29 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that an Apple store in Vancouver is a bad idea? The are a couple of really good resellers in the city who worked hard to get the reputation for fairness and helpfullness even over the years when apple products were not main stream, they are going to lose so much business the an overnight store because it carries the apple logo.
Their prices are exactly the same as apples and they carry the stock at the same time apple does.

The days of resellers are numbered. Sure, there will be a niche for intensive customer service-oriented dealers, but the halcyon days are long over. Apple realized that resellers weren't exactly sexing up the Apple brand like they could, so they decided to do it themselves. The number of resellers has dwindled dramatically in the last few years.

Counterfit
Mar 26, 2006, 09:47 PM
I heard that will be open in June, in the space formerly Baily, Banks & Biddle.
I am at the mall a lot, and will try to post photos of the store in progress.
June can't come soon enough. ;) I like going to PPM, but it's a pain paying for parking.

trogdor!
Mar 27, 2006, 12:06 AM
24 hours a day. Wow, nothing like going to an apple store at 3am.

cycocelica
Mar 27, 2006, 03:04 AM
They should put one in Redmond, Washington. Just to mock MS. They have one in Bellevue, the city that neighbors Redmond, but it would be even more funny to put one in Redmond.

DCapple
Mar 27, 2006, 03:30 AM
a 24/7 store will be great for those who are so busy during week days...at least they can visit the store during sundays!!! :)

Queso
Mar 27, 2006, 03:32 AM
I can't understand what the delay with a Glasgow store is. A UK city with 2 million people really should have one by now, especially as the similarly sized Manchester (well, Greater Manchester) is going to have two quite soon.

Other European locations that haven't been mentioned yet but desperately need stores:-

Madrid
Barcelona
Milan
Brussels
Dublin
Stockholm

GlynJones
Mar 27, 2006, 05:37 AM
Another one in Greater Manchester?

What about one in Liverpool? I can get to one there very easily? :mad:

Klut
Mar 27, 2006, 08:29 AM
I'd like to see some Apple store's in scandinavia!

Up here, Apple is something that grows on trees... We need popularity, and the only way to get it, is by getting known.

Eplehuset Oslo?
Tror det er mere og da :P

Apple is well known in Norway... But only the cool guy has apple products :P

HiRez
Mar 27, 2006, 08:54 AM
Is it just me or is the "New Apple Stores" article the one they "break glass in case of emergency" for (ie. nothing else is happening to fill up space)? Anyway, I think a 24-hour Apple store would be very cool. I have one close to me but I'm a night person and I'd love to roll in there at 3am and play around with stuff when I'm bored. Seriously though, I can see it being a good thing for Manhattan where you have lots of overnight production going on in the print/music/video/film worlds. What if your Mac dies while it's rendering and you have a 10am deadline? Plus really drunk tourists walking around with credit cards.

dyn0mite6
Mar 27, 2006, 09:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the Apple store in Freehold, NJ will be opened before, or possibly shortly after, end-2006. They're already under construction in the mall there.

Here's hoping. I need my Apple store fix! :)

it'll be open within the next 2months. Hopefully i should be working at this store! so once it opens everyone come say hi!!

thestaton
Mar 27, 2006, 09:28 AM
man, no stores in KY yet again *sigh*

jacqkeen
Mar 27, 2006, 09:32 AM
Still no store in the New Orleans or Baton Rouge area either. Closest store here is over 6 hours away. :(

pizzach
Mar 27, 2006, 09:39 AM

Whoohoo. 3am! The perfect time to have to stolen from you on your walk home. Make sure you buy one of those dang computer locks so you can lock it to your body. ;)

kretzy
Mar 27, 2006, 09:58 AM
I don't suppose there's an Aussie one in the works. :rolleyes: :(

ZipZilla
Mar 27, 2006, 11:24 AM
How about anywhere in the state of South Carolina?

Columbia? Charleston? Myrtle Beach? Hilton Head? Anywhere? Hello...Apple...are you listening?

Sayhey
Mar 27, 2006, 11:33 AM
For those who keep asking when a store will come to their area, I keep posting a list of the largest US metro areas without a store or a store planned in the "New Apple Stores?" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=50160&page=46) thread that I update when ever there is a change. Here it is -

New Orleans, Louisiana
Greensboro/Winston-Salem, North Carolina
Louisville, Kentucky
Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina
Dayton, Ohio
Fresno, California
Birmingham, Alabama
Tulsa, Oklahoma
El Paso, Texas
Bakersfield, California
Allentown/Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Harrisburg/ Lebanon, Pennsylvania
Scranton/ Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
Toledo, Ohio
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Youngstown/Warren, Ohio
Springfield, Massachusetts
Sarasota/Bradenton, Florida
Little Rock, Arkansas
McAllen/Edinburg, Texas

New Orleans is a special case because of the effect of Hurricane Katrina, but if I've learned anything while watching these stores over the last few years, it is that the higher you are on this list the better your chances of seeing your first store soon.

iHeartTheApple
Mar 27, 2006, 11:52 AM
I can't wait to see the new "flagship" in NYC...24 hours a day is awesome...and rediculous, but still awesome! Also, the 4-story Boston store should be pretty impressive! I'm still trying to figure out what they're able to put in there that will take up 4 floors!:eek: :confused: We'll see soon enough...

gkarris
Mar 27, 2006, 12:27 PM

When you walk in, your reaction will be, "It's full of stars!"

atomiton
Mar 27, 2006, 01:14 PM
And there are more condos per sq metre here...
Seriously, there is a nice mac market here, but it really needs a store.

princealfie
Mar 27, 2006, 01:39 PM
I am glad to have the apple store in the gateway over at salt lake city... just a hop on the trax. Yummy!

Of course I can't wait to visit the 24 hour store in downtown Manhattan. woohoo!

Lyle
Mar 27, 2006, 02:47 PM
I hope that the Midtown store will open in "early May" and not "late May". We're supposed to be up there the second weekend of May and that would be something fun to do. Well, fun for me, anyways. ;)

revjay
Mar 28, 2006, 11:31 AM

Yes, you are the only one who thinks an Apple Store in Vancouver is a bad idea...ling live capitalism! If the resellers you are refering to are as good as you say...they will be just fine if Apple ever builds a store in 'couver. Remember, there are a couple million more people living in the greater Vancouver area, than customers at the resellers you are talking about.

I think if a city can host an olympic games...said city should be able to keep an Apple store afloat.

Sayhey
Apr 8, 2006, 01:52 AM
Because of the extreme number of posts in the old "New Apple Stores" thread, I've decided to begin posting updates in this newer thread instead.
With today's opening in the Dallas area, here is the updated list of metro areas with more than one store or one planned.

As stated above, this is a list of metropolitan areas, US and international, that have multiple stores or stores planned. It gives a better view of Apple's plans for certain markets. It should be noted I'm using 2000 Census Bureau statistics (table 3) (http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/phc-t3.html) and metro area designations. The most important impact of the use of these figures is that Miami and West Palm Beach were then viewed as separate metro areas; they are no longer. If both areas are combined it gives a better view of Apple's obvious interest in Southeast Florida with six stores located in the area, so this is the one adjustment I've made to the table. I've added the 2000 population ranking (excluding Puerto Rico) of each U.S. area at the end of it's listing (the combining of Miami and West Palm Beach makes this the 10th largest metro area in the US.) I've also listed high-profile stores in red and stores that are confirmed by non-Apple sources in green. All other entries are from Apple's own site (existing stores (http://www.apple.com/retail/) and planned locations (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/1/wo/2bbhODKe6P9uLbLjyp5LM0/0.6.5.3.21).)

US metro areas with multiple Apple stores

New York City (18) - SoHo, Fifth Avenue, Staten Island, Roosevelt Field, Walt Whitman, Palisades, The Westchester, Bridgewater, Menlo Park, Rockaway, Short Hills, Tice’s Corner, Danbury Fair Mall, Garden State Plaza, Freehold Raceway, Smith Haven Mall (planned,) Stamford Town Center (planned,) 34th Street (planned [#1045] (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=50160&page=42).) Population rank: 1

Los Angeles (18) - The Grove, Century City, Beverly Center, Brea Mall, South Coast Plaza, Glendale Galleria, Manhattan Village, Mission Viejo, Fashion Island, Northridge, Pasadena, Rancho Cucamonga, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Thousand Oaks, Irvine Spectrum Center, Simi Valley Town Center, Topanga Mall (planned) Population rank: 2

San Francisco (12) - San Francisco, Stonestown, Burlingame, Corte Madera, Bay Street, Palo Alto, Stanford Shopping Center, Stoneridge Mall, Oakridge, Valley Fair, Santa Rosa Plaza, Walnut Creek. Population rank: 5

Washington DC/Baltimore (9) - Annapolis, Bethesda Row, Montgomery Mall, Towson Town Center, Clarendon, Pentagon City, Tysons Corner, The Mall at Columbia, (planned,) Fair Oaks Mall (planned.) Population rank: 4

Boston (8) - South Shore, Burlington, CambridgeSide, Chestnut Hill, Northshore, Rockingham Park, Derby Street, Bolyston (high-profile planned (http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/02/10/apple_plans_flagship_store_in_back_bay/).) Population rank: 7

Philadelphia (6) - King of Prussia, Christiana Mall, Sagemore, Suburban Square, The Pier (planned,) Cherry Hill (planned.) Population rank: 6

Miami/West Palm Beach (6) - The Falls, Aventura, Boca Raton, The Gardens Mall, Wellington Green, Lincoln Road (planned.) Population rank: 10

Chicago (5) - North Michigan Avenue, Northbrook, Oakbrook, Woodfield, Old Orchard. Population rank: 3

Dallas (4) - Knox Street, Willow Bend, Northpark Center, Southlake Center. Population rank: 9

Houston (4) - Houston Galleria, The Woodlands, Memorial City, First Colony Mall (planned.) Population rank: 11

Seattle (4) - University Village, Bellevue Square, Alderwood Mall, Southcenter. Population rank: 13

Minneapolis/St.Paul (4) - Mall of America, Southdale, Rosedale Center, Ridgedale Mall. Population rank:15

Denver (4) - Cherry Creek, Aspen Grove, Flatiron Crossing, 29th Street Mall (planned.) Population rank: 19

Portland (4) - Pioneer Place, Bridgeport Village, Washington Square, 23rd Street (planned (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/portland_news/114412864676640.xml&coll=7).) Population rank: 22

Detroit (3) - Twelve Oaks, Somerset, Partridge Creek (planned (http://www.shoppartridgecreek.com/infodesk/media/4828.html).) Population rank: 8

Atlanta (3) - Lenox Square, North Point, Perimeter Mall. Population rank: 12

San Diego (3) - Fashion Valley, UTC, Otay Ranch (planned.) Population rank: 17

Phoenix (2) - Biltmore, Chandler Fashion Center. Population rank: 14

St. Louis (2) - Saint Louis Galleria, West County. Population rank: 18

Pittsburgh (2) - Shadyside, South Hills Village. Population rank: 21

Milwaukee (2) - Mayfair Mall, Bayshore Mall (planned (http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2006/04/24/newscolumn2.html?hbx=e_sw).) Population rank: 26

Orlando (2) - Florida Mall, Millenia. Population rank: 27

Las Vegas (2) - Fashion Show, Town Square Mall (planned (http://www.turnberry.com/tanews42.htm).) Population rank: 31

Raleigh/Durham (2) - Southpoint, Crabtree Valley (planned.) Population rank: 40

International metro areas with multiple stores

London (3) - Regent Street, Brent Cross, Bentall Centre (planned.)

Toronto (3) - Yorkdale, Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens Mall (planned.)

Tokyo (2) - Ginza, Shibuya.

Manchester (2) - Trafford Centre, Arndale Centre (planned.)

note: Raleigh/Durham is the smallest metro area with two stores (excepting the special case of the already mentioned West Palm Beach/Boca Raton.) The areas with only one store (or one planned) that are larger are the following: Cleveland, Tampa/St. Petersburg, Cincinnati, Sacramento, Kansas City, Indianapolis, San Antonio, Columbus, Charlotte, Salt Lake City, Austin, Nashville, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, and Providence. So these cities are very likely candidates for second stores in the near future. There are a few metro areas larger than Raleigh/Durham (specifically New Orleans and Greensboro) that have no stores or one officially planned. Of these two, given the level of destruction from hurricane Katrina, Greensboro seems more likely to see a store any time soon.

Sayhey
Apr 8, 2006, 01:55 AM
Also here is the updated list, including the opening today in Southlake, of FY2006 stores. This shows already opened stores and stores confirmed by Apple's own listings. Forty of those listed below are planned to be opened by Sept. 30th.

Staten Island Mall - Staten Island, New York - opened 10/15
The Oaks - Thousand Oaks, California - opened 10/29
Burlington Mall - Burlington, Massachusetts - opened 11/05
Brea Mall - Brea, California - opened 11/12
Gateway Mall - Salt Lake City, Utah - opened 11/19
Beverly Center - Los Angeles, California - opened 11/19
Fashion Square - Sherman Oaks, California - opened 11/19
Trafford Centre - Manchester, England - opened 11/19
Fukuoka Tenjin - Fukuoka, Japan - opened 12/03
Sendai Ichibancho - Sendai, Japan - opened 12/10
Meadowhall Centre - Sheffield, England - opened 12/10
Brent Cross - London, England - opened 1/28
Garden State Plaza - Paramus, New Jersey - opened 2/04
Irvine Spectrum Center - Irvine, California - opened 2/11
Derby Street - Hingham, Massachusetts - opened 2/18
Northpark Center - Dallas, Texas - opened 3/04
Summit Sierra - Reno, Nevada - opened 3/15
Southlake Center - Southlake, Texas - opened 4/08
Eaton Centre - Toronto, Canada - opened 5/06
Flatiron Crossing - Broomfield, Colorado - opened 5/06
Suburban Square - Ardmore, Pennsylvania - opening 5/13
Simi Valley Town Center - Simi Valley, California - opening 5/13
Fifth Avenue - New York City, New York - opening 5/19
Lincoln Road - Miami Beach, Florida
Crabtree Valley - Raleigh, North Carolina
Freehold Raceway - Freehold, New Jersey
The Pier - Atlantic City, New Jersey
Romaest Mall - Rome, Italy
Perimeter Mall - Atlanta, Georgia
Ridgedale Mall - Minneapolis, Minnesota
The Mall in Columbia - Columbia, Maryland
Memorial City Mall - Houston, Texas
Fair Oaks Mall - Fairfax, Virginia
Smith Haven Mall - Lake Grove, New York
Stamford Town Center - Stamford, Connecticut
MacArthur Center - Norfolk, Virginia
West Town Mall - Knoxville, Tennessee
Le Carrefour Laval - Montreal, Canada
West Quay Mall - Southampton, England
Maruzen Building - Sapporo, Japan
Arndale Centre - Manchester, England
Sherway Gardens - Toronto, Canada
Village Point Mall - Omaha, Nebraska
29th Street Mall - Boulder, Colorado
First Colony Mall - Sugar Land, Texas
Topanga Mall - Canoga Park, California
Waterside Shops - Naples, Florida
Chinook Centre - Calgary, Canada
ABQ Uptown Center - Albuquerque, New Mexico
Coconut Point Mall - Bonita Springs, Florida
Otay Ranch Town Center - San Diego, California
Cherry Hill Mall - Cherry Hill, New Jersey

The Southampton listing has disappeared from Apple's webpage. Whether that is due to a cancellation of plans or some other reason is too soon to tell.

The following are upcoming stores confirmed by mall websites, public documents, and press reports. No word from Apple on any of these or a word on possible opening dates as of yet. Unless they get derailed by planning difficulties, they appear to be locations of future stores; all also are very unlikely for FY 2006 openings.

437 N.W. 23rd Street - Portland, Oregon
21 W. 34th Street - New York, New York
Town Square Mall - Las Vegas, Nevada
815 Bolyston Street - Boston, Massachusetts
Partridge Creek - Clinton Township, Michigan (mall opening Oct. 2007)
Bayshore Mall - Glendale, Wisconsin
77 Bahnhofstrasse - Zurich, Switzerland

edit: per posts #98, #102, #109, and #113

j26
Apr 8, 2006, 03:50 AM

Yes, Give us an Irish store. NOW!!!!

Detlev
Apr 8, 2006, 08:58 AM
There must be a logic that Apple is using that just seems to pass me in the dark. They are looking to purchase a building in the Boston's historic Back Bay at the end where there is more turn over than pancakes at an iHop. Where there have been so many high profile flagship stores of major brands and every single one has closed—oh wait, I think Patagonia still has a store a few blocks away. Where there is a convention center across the street that everyone hates to go to because there is no parking. Where there is one of the busiest fire stations in the city a couple hundred yards up the one way street (coming down and past the location). Where the street gets totally shut down for so many special events like the Boston Marathon. Where the "T" and "Pike" travel beneath the building and street but the location is exactly between to "T" stops and you would have to walk to the station or take a bus (one does stop out front). The point is there is no parking.

So, they want to tear down an old building that fits in with the rest of the Back Bay and put in a glistening new modern building there. Um, ok I have to disagree on this one. Watch how anal we can get about our architecture and sense of place. Why do you think Fenway Park is still standing just up the street?

For those not in the know, the Back Bay used to be just that, a bay. It is a majority of land fill. There is also more history in a square foot then there is in a square mile in most places.

Sure, there are students at Berklee College of Music up a few blocks and the school did sponsor the conferences the last few years in Boston but these kids don't have money and have two Apple store's already that they can get to in a matter of minutes if they try. Oh, and there is the BAC around the corner but their own bookstore didn't even survive.

I'm even more mystified that they have not announced a store in the "Golden Triangle". They must be interested in the new extension to the Natick Mall or ideally the free standing site left by the Disney Store. They could retro fit that store, have parking, and Ben & Jerry's ice cream all in one place. Also, do it right on the front doorstep of the Bose Corp.

I think I read something about Springfield, MA too. There is another challenging location. The city is a tough one. Hard to keep business alive there. Maybe just north but still a depressed area. Heck of a St. Patrick's Day Parade and air show at the base. There is UMass even further north and Hartford, CT to the south but I'm just not seeing something here. Then again, if they are talking the small stores then these might work but if they are talking big stores, I have my doubts.

Sayhey
Apr 17, 2006, 09:40 PM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/04/17/another-new-store-in-canada/) is reporting a new location for a upcoming store in London, Ontario. This would be the sixth store in Canada. Still no word on a Vancouver store.

Another New Store in Canada
A sixth Apple store is planned for Canada, the newest at the Masonville Place mall operated Cadillac-Fairview in the city of London (Ontario), about 120 miles southwest of Toronto, and home to the Univeristy of Western Ontario (32,000 studenst). The mall has 258 stores and restaurants, along with a multi-screen cinema. The store will be next to Athlete’s World on the upper level, and adds to the list of existing and pending stores in Canada:

Yorkdale (open)
Eaton Centre - Toronto
Le Carrefour Laval - Montreal
Chinook Center - Calgary
Sherway Gardens - Toronto
Masonville Place

trogq8
Apr 17, 2006, 11:45 PM
Apple should really consider having proper representation in the Gulf area, I'll tell you why:
I live in Kuwait. There used to be an official Apple dealership that ended in the mid-90's due to lack of interest in the market (i think). However lately, interest in Macs has skyrocketed, especially after the iPod boom. This has only given the opportunity to a bunch of resellers and distributors to make insane amounts of profit on Mac products. I had to get my MBP from outside of Kuwait because I refused to be ripped off as I was when i bought my Powermac G5 a couple of years ago. I've seen the MBP 1.86 stock edition going for about US$ 3000 here, and the support is miserable; ask any of the resellers to honour your Applecare warranty and they'll tell you that they're not the agent and will charge you just for looking at the computer. Is this fair? The only proper agent is in Dubai, which is not easily accessible.
If Apple were able to provide the same prices as it does in the rest of the world, I'm sure a great number of people would be very pleased, and sales would increase even more. Every other person you see has an iPod. We don't have tax in kuwait, i really don't understand why apple products should be so expensive. The cheapest 60GB iPod with video i've seen goes for approx. US$ 513
Does this happen in other places in the world?

Sayhey
Apr 18, 2006, 11:28 PM
Apple's "Search Jobs (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/2/wo/zG4Cu4fFNlcnIoiKv1hrAg/0.6.5.3.21)" web page has four new listings for new store locations. They include the already known 29th Street Mall (http://www.twentyninth.com/about/index.jsp) in Boulder, Colorado; the First Colony Mall (http://www.generalgrowth.com/Properties/erFirst_Colony.htm) in Sugar Land, Texas; the Topanga Mall (http://www.westfield.com/topanga/gettinghere/index.html) in Canoga Park, California; and the Waterside Shops (http://www.roorda.com/shopping.asp) in Naples, Florida. While the Boulder store had been revealed in newspaper reports, the other store location are new. They represent the fourth locations in the Denver and Houston metro areas, the eighteenth in the LA metro area, and the first in SW Florida.

edit: as of 4-25 all of the above stores have individual job listings for staff positions.

Prints
Apr 19, 2006, 08:05 AM
There is STILL a state with NOT ONE APPLE STORE. You who complain that your store is 2 or 3 hours away. . . . .AT LEAST YOU HAVE ONE ! How about a store in the Land of Enchantment !?? Albuquerque woud be good !

For those who keep asking when a store will come to their area, I keep posting a list of the largest US metro areas without a store or a store planned in the "New Apple Stores?" (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=50160&page=46) thread that I update when ever there is a change. Here it is -

New Orleans, Louisiana
Louisville, Kentucky
Dayton, Ohio
Fresno, California
Birmingham, Alabama
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Albuquerque, New Mexico
El Paso, Texas
Bakersfield, California
Toledo, Ohio
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Youngstown/Warren, Ohio
Little Rock, Arkansas

New Orleans is a special case because of the effect of Hurricane Katrina, but if I've learned anything while watching these stores over the last few years, it is that the higher you are on this list the better your chances of seeing your first store soon.

Prints
Apr 19, 2006, 08:06 AM
There is STILL a state with NOT ONE APPLE STORE. You who complain that your store is 2 or 3 hours away. . . . .AT LEAST YOU HAVE ONE ! How about a store in the Land of Enchantment !?? Albuquerque would be good !

New Orleans, Louisiana
Louisville, Kentucky
Dayton, Ohio
Fresno, California
Birmingham, Alabama
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Albuquerque, New Mexico
El Paso, Texas
Bakersfield, California
Toledo, Ohio
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Youngstown/Warren, Ohio
Little Rock, Arkansas

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 19, 2006, 08:12 AM
Does this happen in other places in the world?
My closest store is about one hour away... by airplane. I buy all my Apple gizmos from the online store. The normal european premium, compared with the US online store, is about 15-20% extra.
Apple has a crazy policy when it comes to the expansion of Apple stores. I doubt it is optimal to build multiple stores in one city when you have many computer dense countries without any stores at all. I think that Apple could have had a much larger piece of the European computer market if there were more stores here. Especially since the European commision seem to had a huge chip on their shoulder towards Microsoft's monopoly. I just don't get how the strategist at Apple think... But they certainly think differently. ;) Probably a result of an extensive use of illegal contraband.

Sayhey
Apr 20, 2006, 04:26 PM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/04/19/detroit-region-gains-future-store/) is reporting that there will be, at long last, a new Detroit area store. This store is to be located in the upcoming Mall at Partridge Creek (http://www.shoppartridgecreek.com/scc/5594.html) (2007 opening.)

Detroit Region Gains Future Store
Yet a third store is planned for the Detroit (Mich.) metro region, this one at the Partridge Creek mall, now under construction in Clinton Township north east of downtown. Mall management announced today that when the mall opens this October 2007, Apple will among the tenants. The store is about 16 miles from the existing Somerset store.

This is confirmed by the mall managements press release (http://www.shoppartridgecreek.com/infodesk/media/4828.html).

TAUBMAN CENTERS PREVIEWS STORES, RESTAURANTS FOR THE MALL AT PARTRIDGE CREEK

Released: 04/19/06

New Center Taking Shape as Regional Shopping, Dining and Entertainment Destination
BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich., April 19, 2006 -- Taubman Centers, Inc. (NYSE: TCO) today previewed a selection of restaurants and stores coming to The Mall at Partridge Creek in Clinton Township, Michigan. The open-air shopping center, anchored by Nordstrom, Parisian and MJR Cinema 14, is scheduled to open in October, 2007.
The Mall at Partridge Creek will offer a cluster of distinctive dining options including P.F. Chang's China Bistro, Bravo! Italian Kitchen, California Pizza Kitchen and Claddagh Irish Pub. These destination eateries, found nowhere else in Macomb County, will bring a compelling selection of dining choices to residents in the market.
The Mall at Partridge Creek will also provide unique fashion and lifestyle options previously unavailable in Macomb County with offerings like Apple, Ann Taylor, Coldwater Creek, J. Crew, Brooks Brothers, and Delia's that will be joined by such favorites as Gap, Gap Kids, Baby Gap, Gap Body, Banana Republic and Eddie Bauer. emphasis added

Sayhey
Apr 22, 2006, 03:53 PM
There is STILL a state with NOT ONE APPLE STORE. You who complain that your store is 2 or 3 hours away. . . . .AT LEAST YOU HAVE ONE ! How about a store in the Land of Enchantment !?? Albuquerque woud be good !

There are, in fact, nineteen states without an Apple store. Two, Rhode Island and Nebraska, are scheduled to get their first stores this year. Given Apple's obvious strategy of putting the stores where the people are, it would be easy to envision stores opening in, perhaps, seven more of that nineteen. By which, I mean I can see Louisiana (New Orleans or Baton Rouge,) Alabama (Birmingham or Mobile,) Kentucky (Louisville,) South Carolina (Charleston or Columbia,) Kansas (Kansas City or Wichita,) Arkansas (Little Rock,) and your state of New Mexico (Albuquerque) being targets for Apple's plans within the next two years. What Apple will do with the other ten states is a mystery. There is some hope in the fact that the recently announced store in Naples, Florida is in the smallest metro area to date (only 250,000 people.) That may buoy the chances of small markets like Anchorage, Alaska (260,000 people) and Portland, Maine (243,000 people.) The only problem with this comparison is that while Naples is relatively the same size as these other metro areas, it also is close to the Fort Myers/Cape Coral metro area that has a population of approximately 440,000 - or roughly 700,000 when the two are combined.

Here is a list of the 19 states without a store, from most populous to least, and their largest metro areas. As always 2000 census numbers.

Louisiana (New Orleans - 1,337,000)
Alabama (Birmingham - 921,000)
Kentucky (Louisville - 1,025,000)
South Carolina (Greenville/Spartanburg - 962,000)
Mississippi (Jackson - 440,000)
Kansas (Kansas City - 1,776,000)
Arkansas (Little Rock - 583,000)
New Mexico (Albuquerque - 712,000) - store planned to open this year
West Virginia (Huntington/Ashland - 315,000)
Nebraska (Omaha - 716,000) - store planned to open this year
Idaho (Boise - 440,000)
Maine (Portland - 243,000)
Rhode Island (Providence - 1,188,000) - store planned to open this year
Montana (Billings - 129,000)
South Dakota (Sioux Falls - 172,000)
North Dakota (Fargo - 174,000)
Alaska (Anchorage - 260,000)
Vermont (Burlington - 169,000)
Wyoming (Cheyenne - 81,000)

As you can see, once you get down to West Virginia it is hard to make a case why the metro areas not already planned to get a store should be placed very high on a priority list.

edited per post #122

gauchogolfer
Apr 22, 2006, 03:59 PM
How about an Apple Store in France, already? I think they're muttering about opening one in 2007/2008 in Paris. Maybe one down south here will arrive sometime after 2010. Any ideas why the love for continental Europe is so lacking?

Queso
Apr 22, 2006, 04:10 PM
How about an Apple Store in France, already? I think they're muttering about opening one in 2007/2008 in Paris. Maybe one down south here will arrive sometime after 2010. Any ideas why the love for continental Europe is so lacking?

How about putting the first one in Calais for all the English people using the Chunnel? :D

gauchogolfer
Apr 22, 2006, 04:14 PM
How about putting the first one in Calais for all the English people using the Chunnel? :D

Nah, I think Nice should be first, it's practically a colony :cool:

Sayhey
Apr 22, 2006, 05:12 PM

My guess is you will see an explosion of stores on the continent over the next 3 to 5 years. Rome will open this year and Paris the next, but there will also be German and Swiss stores in the near future. As to French stores outside of Paris, the English, Japanese, and Canadian models would suggest it is highly likely.

Just remember, as retail expansions go, this is extremely fast. Doesn't help if you're waiting for a store to open in your area, but the stores are opening at a much faster rate.

bense27
Apr 23, 2006, 04:10 PM
We need one in the Utica area...now....

Sayhey
Apr 24, 2006, 11:18 AM
ifoAppleStore's (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/02/13/second-milwaukee-region-store-revealed/) tip in February that a second store is destined for the Milwaukee metro area is being confirmed by reports in the Business Journal (http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2006/04/24/newscolumn2.html?hbx=e_sw). No confirmation from Apple as yet.

Apple to open store at Bayshore
Apple Computers Inc. is planning to open its second Milwaukee-area store this fall and it will be at Bayshore Mall in Glendale.

The Cupertino, Calif., computer retailer has signed a lease to locate at the mall, which is undergoing a $295 million renovation. A spokesman for Steiner & Associates, the owner of Bayshore, declined to comment on the lease, but an announcement is expected in the next several weeks.

Apple opened its first retail store in Milwaukee at Mayfair Mall in Wauwatosa in 2004.

Apple will join a growing list of national retailers that have agreed to open stores at Bayshore as part of the renovation project.

Vaphoron
Apr 24, 2006, 11:03 PM
How about one in Frederick Maryland! There are so many freaking stores right around DC and Baltimore its crazy. They need to move one out here so I don't have to drive an hour to get something little or play around with the new toys.

iRepublican
Apr 25, 2006, 04:25 AM
We need one in the Utica area...now....

Maybe they'll put one in Marcy.:D

Sayhey
Apr 27, 2006, 08:48 AM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/04/26/fifth-avenue-grand-opening/) is reporting that the new Midtown store in Manhattan will open on May 6th at 10:00 am.
Fifth Avenue Grand Opening
Apple has revealed the actual grand opening date for the Fifth Avenue (NYC) retail store–May 6th at 10 a.m. The construction will be finished, and general manager Jason Barlia and his team of employees will be in place to handle customers 24 hours-a-day right after the doors swing open.
I'm assuming that the "Apple revealed" part of that story is from the emails that are sent to people in the area announcing an opening as there is no notice on Apple's web site yet. Can any New Yorkers confirm this?

Supa_Fly
May 1, 2006, 08:53 PM
http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/eatoncentre/map/

sweet goodness!:D :rolleyes: ;) :p

kashimo
May 2, 2006, 04:11 AM
There is to be a store in Sapporo, Japan. Other possibilities are in Kobe and Naha

Sayhey
May 2, 2006, 12:54 PM
Apple has officially announced the opening of the FlatIron Crossing (http://www.apple.com/retail/flatironcrossing/week/20060507.html) (their spelling not mine) store in the Denver metro area this week on May 6th at 10:00 am. There will be a sweepstakes as well as the usual giveaway of T-Shirts.

Sayhey
May 2, 2006, 01:22 PM
A nice article on the stores from Wired News (http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,70787-0.html?tw=rss.technology)

The Genius of Apple's Stores
By Leander Kahney
Apple Computer is firing on all cylinders these days, but of all the things contributing to its success, hardly anyone mentions its chain of retail stores.
The stores are as important to Apple as the iPod or OS X when it comes to driving the public's extraordinary interest in the resurgent company -- though it's hard to say which is more important, because they're interrelated.

I've been hanging out at Best Buy recently, shopping for a big-screen TV, and night after night I see the same guys checking out this model or that, learning the technology and pondering their options.

The same thing happens at Apple's stores: People go in to check out the iPod, but linger over the new MacBooks and flat-screen iMacs. Next thing you know, they're in there every weeknight wondering whereabouts exactly they'll get hit with a frying pan when they bring the new computer home.

Switching to the Mac is not a decision to be taken lightly, and the Apple store is where this mental transition takes place. Lately, there are lots of people making the switch. Sales of Mac computers are up -- despite the ongoing Intel transition -- and more than 50 percent of customers at its stores are "new to Mac," Apple chief Steve Jobs said at Macworld.

Consider this: Apple says its stores are now making more than $1 billion in sales per quarter. Just two years ago, the stores were making $1 billion a year -- and at that time they were the fastest-growing retail operation in history, beating the previous record holder The Gap to $1 billion annual sales in just three years, according to Ron Johnson, the executive in charge of Apple's retail operations. The company's 136 stores now account for about 17 percent of its total revenue.

These are extraordinary figures. Five years ago, before Apple opened its first store in McLean, Virginia, shopping for Apple products was a miserable experience.

Macs were sold at big-box retailers like Sears, where they were neglected, or small mom-and-pop shops with limited choices and high prices. Apple's only direct contact with its customers was at Macworld.

Given the history of PC makers running their own retail stores -- namely Gateway -- most critics gave Apple's shopping experiment short shrift.

"I give them two years before they're turning out the lights on a very painful and expensive mistake," one analyst told BusinessWeek.

But the stores are going gangbusters. Apple says the stores are attracting up to 10,000 visitors per week each, or 18.1 million visitors a year in total. Each Gateway store, on the other hand, pulled in on average only 250 people a week, according to Johnson....

Sayhey
May 5, 2006, 11:50 AM
The on again, off again rumors of an Apple store in Zurich, Switzerland just went back to the on again status. Thanks to ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/05/04/zurich-store-confirmed/) for drawing our attention to the latest twist in the story in the form of an article from the Swiss newspaper Bilanz (http://www.bilanz.ch/edition/artikel.asp?Session=&AssetID=2974) about the possibility of an upcoming store. As my German is restricted to my middle school days and what I can glean from the choppy translation using dashboard, here is ifoAppleStore's summary of the development.

The Zurich (Switzerland) newspaper Bilanz has a story that confirms the future Apple retail store in that city. A source tells the newspaper that the store will open in 2007 at Bahnhofstrasse 77, in a 2,970 square-foot space. The story says that Roger Brustio, head of Apple Switzerland, confirmed the existence of a subsidiary named “Apple Retail Switzerland GmbH,” but he wouldn’t confirm the future store. The story notes that Apple reseller Dataquest has a retail store near the future store location.

Sayhey
May 5, 2006, 02:19 PM
A news report in the Boston Herald (http://business.bostonherald.com/businessNews/view.bg?articleid=137970) gives an update of Apple's continuing battle for its plans for a downtown Boston store.
Apple Computer Inc. is scheduled to unveil new plans for its first Boston store next week.
Based on documents submitted to City Hall, the company still wants to demolish the existing two-story building at 815 Boylston St. - across from the Prudential Center and currently home to a street-level Copy Cop - to make way for the new store.
Its latest architectural rendering depicts a new three-story modern building with an all-glass facade, circular staircase and glass skylight. The three levels have high ceilings, making the building flush with the four-story building to its right. Open floor plans feature circular and rectangular Internet-surfing and listening stations.
The plans also call for a “green roof” with plantings designed to provide insulation and absorb less heat, thereby reducing the amount of air conditioning needed.
The Cupertino, Calif.-based company is expected to formally present its proposal to the Back Bay Architectural Committee on Wednesday. The meeting would mark the start of Apple’s official quest for a certificate of appropriateness from the commission, which reviews all exterior changes to buildings within its district.
Previous plans presented informally in March drew darts from the committee. They also included a modern, all-glass building front.
William Young, a city employee who’s the commission’s senior preservation planner, would not comment on changes from those early plans.
A spokeswoman for Apple also declined comment. Its Apple stores do extremely high-volume business, generating more than $1 billion in sales per quarter.
Apple has said that rehabbing the existing 1906 building is not feasible. It would cost an extra $2.9 million, delay an opening date by six months, and still result in a building that’s not suited to its retail operations.
A report by Boston Affiliates, a historic preservation consulting firm, says the building lacks the “high-style architecture, overall quality of ornamentation and materials and designs by the city’s leading architectural firms” that characterize the historic district.

Included in the Herald's story is an artist's rendition of the proposed store.

NewSc2
May 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
is it just me or does anybody else not see the point of having a 24-hour store?

Sayhey
May 8, 2006, 10:50 AM
Apple has officially announced the opening next Saturday, May 13th of the Suburban Square store (http://www.apple.com/retail/suburbansquare/week/20060514.html) in the Philadelphia suburb of Ardmore, Pennsylvania and the Simi Valley (http://www.apple.com/retail/simivalley/week/20060514.html) store in the Los Angeles suburb of the same name.

Sayhey
May 10, 2006, 08:59 PM
Two interesting rumors spotlighted over at ifoAppleStore. First, it looks like there might be a second store opening in Honolulu. This according to the Honolulu Advertiser (http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/May/10/bz/FP605100325.html).

Apple Store may open in Kahala Mall
By Andrew Gomes
Advertiser Staff Writer

Apple Computer Inc. is looking to attract new customers and increase sales in Hawai'i with a second company-owned retail store at an O'ahu shopping center.

The maker of the Macintosh computer and iPod audio player, which opened its first local Apple Store at Ala Moana Center three years ago, is negotiating for space at Kahala Mall that could become another retail outlet for Apple by the end of the year.

Ron Yoda, Kahala Mall general manager, confirmed "ongoing" talks with Apple for store space, but said no lease has been signed....

and the second story ifo is highlighting is a Presse Océan story about the possibility of a second French store, one this year, as well as the long rumored store in 2007.

France Store This Year?
Details are scarce, but Apple V-P Europe Pascal Cagni has told the Presse Océan newspaper the company could open a retail store in France during 2006, as well as 2007. The Champs Elysées has been identified as a location for a long time as a future Paris store, and it will reportedly open next year. However, a 2006 store opening seems to indicate a mall location somewhere in the country. ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/05/10/france-store-this-year/)

Sayhey
May 10, 2006, 11:09 PM
Apple's "Search Jobs" webpage has four new locations listed for upcoming stores. They include the fifth confirmed Canadian store, this one in the already rumored Chinook Centre (http://www.chinookcentre.com/) in Calgary, Alberta. The US stores include a store in the ABQ Uptown Center (http://www.abquptown.com/) (the first store in Albuquerque, New Mexico - and the first in the state,) a store in upcoming Coconut Point Mall (http://www.abquptown.com/) in Bonita Springs, Florida (the second planned location in the Fort Myers/Naples SW Florida area,) and a third store San Diego's upcoming Otay Ranch Town Center (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20060205/news_lz1b5mall.html).

Sayhey
May 11, 2006, 09:03 AM
Ahhh ... seems I may have missed one last night. Apple's "Search Jobs (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/9/wo/71uYjmL9W7oat24piUVdZg/0.6.5.3.21)" webpage also has a new listing for a Cherry Hill, New Jersey location. I'm assuming this would likely be a store coming to the Cherry Hill Mall (http://www.cherryhillmall.com/pages/index.jsp). This would be the sixth store in the Philadelphia metro area.

Sayhey
May 11, 2006, 01:00 PM
The countdown to Fifth Avenue (http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/week/20060521.html) store has "officially" begun as Apple has posted a page to mark each second until the grand opening on May 19th at 6:00 pm. Anyone lining up now? :)

puckhead193
May 11, 2006, 01:13 PM
The countdown to Fifth Avenue (http://www.apple.com/retail/fifthavenue/week/20060521.html) store has "officially" begun as Apple has posted a page to mark each second until the grand opening on May 19th at 6:00 pm. Anyone lining up now? :)
won't be home :(
although imagine walking around with an apple shirt that says "fifth avenue" seems pretty snobby.
is their any news on the Smithaven NY store?

Sayhey
May 11, 2006, 01:53 PM

I haven't heard anything, but if you're intested I'll post any information I can dig up.

puckhead193
May 12, 2006, 03:31 PM
I haven't heard anything, but if you're intested I'll post any information I can dig up.
thanks!
i have a feeling its not gonna open anytime soon. I think they are expanding that mall and apple is probably going to open in the expansion..

Sayhey
May 12, 2006, 04:33 PM
thanks!
i have a feeling its not gonna open anytime soon. I think they are expanding that mall and apple is probably going to open in the expansion..

My guess, based solely on the timing (Jan. '06) of the location's posting on Apple's website, is that it will open this year, with a good chance of being one of the 35-40 opened by September 30th. If there is major construction going on in the mall that could change the schedule significantly. As the South Shore store in the Boston area showed, it has certainly delayed openings in the past.

Sayhey
May 12, 2006, 08:57 PM
Here is the updated list of FY2006 stores so those who don't want to wade through all of the earlier pages will have it easily available. This shows stores already opened in FY 2006 (in red,) and upcoming stores confirmed by Apple's own listings (including stores officially announced in gold, stores in the process of staff recruitment in green, and new locations which have only been listed as upcoming retail sites in black.) Between thirty-five and forty of those listed below are planned to be opened by Sept. 30th.

Suburban Square - Ardmore, Pennsylvania - opened 5/13
Simi Valley Town Center - Simi Valley, California - opened 5/13
Fifth Avenue - New York City, New York - opened 5/19
Freehold Raceway - Freehold, New Jersey - opened 5/27
Perimeter Mall - Atlanta, Georgia - opened 6/03
Ridgedale Mall - Minneapolis, Minnesota - opened 6/10
Memorial City Mall - Houston, Texas - opened 6/17
Sapporo - Sapporo, Japan - opened 6/24
Crabtree Valley Mall - Raleigh, North Carolina - opened 6/24
Stamford Town Center - Stamford, Connecticut - opened 7/01
West Town Mall - Knoxville, Tennessee - opened 7/01
Lincoln Road - Miami Beach, Florida - to open 7/21
The Pier - Atlantic City, New Jersey
Smith Haven Mall - Lake Grove, New York
MacArthur Center - Norfolk, Virginia
Le Carrefour Laval - Montreal, Canada
Sherway Gardens - Toronto, Canada
ABQ Uptown Center - Albuquerque, New Mexico (mall opening Fall 2006 (http://www.abquptown.com/images/ABQUptownBrochure.pdf))
Coconut Point Mall - Bonita Springs, Florida (mall completed by Nov. 2006 (http://www.simon.com/mall/mall_info.aspx?ID=1202))
Otay Ranch Town Center - San Diego, California (mall opening 10-27-06 (http://otayranchtowncenter.com/html/Mallinfo.asp))
West Quay Mall, Southampton, UK
Bentall Centre, Kingston, UK
899 Higuera Street - San Luis Obispo, California

The following are upcoming stores confirmed by mall websites, public documents, and press reports. No word from Apple on any of these or a word on possible opening dates as of yet. Unless they get derailed by planning difficulties, they appear to be locations of future stores; all also are very unlikely for FY 2006 openings.

Town Square Mall - Las Vegas, Nevada (mall opening "Fall 2007")
Crocker Park - Westlake, Ohio

Sayhey
May 20, 2006, 11:19 AM
macosXrumors (http://www.macosxrumors.com/articles/2006/05/20/new-european-apple-reseller-contract-apple-stores-in-france-confirming/) forwards the very interesting report from the French site, macgeneration (http://www.macgeneration.com/mgnews/depeche.php?aIdDepeche=121032) about upcoming French stores. Of particular interest is the naming of "Paris-Opera" as the place for an Apple store this year. While this is undoubtedly a reference to the Opera District (http://wikitravel.org/en/Paris/9th_arrondissement) of Paris, there is no more specific location confirmed. Any ideas from those familar with shopping in Paris?

According to the french Mac-centric site MacGeneration.com, Pascal Cagni, Apple Europe’s VP has sent a letter to European Apple resellers so as to inform them of the forthcoming changes in their contract with Apple.

The Apple reseller contract that will be applied by this summer in Europe will bring some dramatic changes. The most important among these changes is the fact that Apple resellers, which are currently running under the brand “Apple Center”, will now be qualified as “Premium Reseller” instead. By the way, resellers won’t be allowed to use the brands “Apple” and “Mac” in their name.

Another major change is the obligation of resellers to train their employees under Apple’s Certificates program. This certificates program implies costs for the reseller.

Pascal Cagni also expressed in his letter, the willing of Apple that its resellers network differentiates in terms of design from Apple stores and that Apple will be encouraging common marketing campaigns between Apple and its resellers network.

The report also confirms Apple’s plans to open stores in France, starting this year with a first store in Paris - Opera, another in Lyon and another in Lille. The very expected Paris, Champs-Elysés store will open in 2007....

Mammoth
May 20, 2006, 03:41 PM

This confirms a Calgary store? :)

Sayhey
May 20, 2006, 03:51 PM
This confirms a Calgary store? :)

Yes. If you go to Apple's "Search Jobs" (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/3/wo/SKzUwWwo9i7A6ltCY0hWv0/0.6.5.3.21) webpage you can see a listing "Calgary-Chinook Mall" for a new retail location. While there are no individual job listings of yet, this is usually the first step by which you can see an acknowledgment by Apple of plans for a new retail store.

Sayhey
May 21, 2006, 07:48 AM
Following up on possible locations of the "Paris-Opera" store, the Galeries Lafayette (http://www.galerieslafayette.com/magasin/home.do?magasinid=87&f=international_customers) and Printemps (http://departmentstoreparis.printemps.com/our_store/index.aspx?l=en) seem to be very likely places to open an Apple store. They are within the Opera district and certainly upscale enough to fit Apple's criteria. Any other guesses? Any Parisians who can keep an eye out?

Sayhey
May 22, 2006, 10:02 AM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/05/22/freehold-raceway-grand-opening/) is reporting an opening for the new store in the Freehold Raceway Mall (http://www.freeholdracewaymall.com/) this weekend, May 27th. Not that this doesn't make sense, but there is no word on Apple's site yet or on the Mall's website either. Has anyone in the area received one of Apple's famous email notifications of the opening? Anyway, it is likely ifo has it right and this will be eighth store in the state with two more schedule to open later this year.

edit: Apple has made it official (http://www.apple.com/retail/freeholdracewaymall/week/20060528.html). May 27th at 10:00 am with the usual 1000 t-shirts and sweepstakes.

GooMan
May 22, 2006, 10:30 AM
Here is a list of the 19 states without a store, from most populous to least, and their largest metro areas. As always 2000 census numbers.

Louisiana (New Orleans - 1,337,000)
Alabama (Birmingham - 921,000)

We're number 2! We're number 2! We're number 2! :(
I still hold out hope we will get a store in Bama one day.

Sayhey
May 25, 2006, 02:40 PM
With the posting today on monster.com (http://jobsearch.monster.com/jobsearch.asp?q=Apple+Computer+Inc%2E&fn=&lid=&re=104&cy=us) of listings of individual job openings for the upcoming Cherry Hill, New Jersey store all of the announced US planned locations are in staff recruitment mode. This puts not only Cherry Hill, but Otay Ranch, Coconut Point, and ABQ mall sites well within this year's timeframe for opening - though all four are unlikely to be opened before the end of the fiscal year.

edit: I've noticed the good folks at MacDailyNews (http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/9689/) (I mean that sincerely - they do great work) are claiming they have an "exclusive" today with their announcement of the new Albuquerque location. As readers of this thread will know, it was posted here on the 11th (see post #122,) so I'm not sure how the word "exclusive" applies. As far as I can tell - the ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/05/11/albuquerquefinally/) and ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0605retail.html) stories come from my tips to them - I was the first to notice and post this news gleaned from Apple's website, but I'm guessing they must mean "exclusive" in a different kind of way than it is commonly meant. Still, it is good to see the coverage of Apple's retail efforts.

Sayhey
May 27, 2006, 04:27 PM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/05/26/new-atlanta-store-opens-june-3rd/) is posting the upcoming opening of the Perimeter Mall store in Atlanta next Saturday, 10:00 am. This is the third store in the Atlanta metro area.

edit: Apple makes it official (http://www.apple.com/retail/perimeter/week/20060604.html)

Kadath
May 29, 2006, 12:11 AM
Who would have thought you'd see 1000+ apple devotees at 10AM on a Saturday in the middle of NJ? Sure enough, they went through their T-shirts in under 2 hours from what I heard.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=154525165&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=154526012&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=154526913&size=l
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=154527529&size=l

I didnt buy anything, still waiting for Merom, BluRay, and a faster Video Card before I jump on a MBP, hopefully by september!

Sam

Sayhey
Jun 5, 2006, 08:35 AM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/06/03/huntsvillereal-store/) is reporting a tip from one of its readers about a possible Huntsville, Alabama store. Is this the big break Alabama mac fans have been waiting for?

Huntsville…Real Store?
In the aftermath of spotting an Apple logo (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/05/26/is-huntsville-in-line/) along University Blvd. in Huntsville (Ala.), tipster Shane spotted another mention of Apple–on a site plan for the Bridge Street Town Center mall now under construction on the city’s southwest side. The project has been delayed several times, but will eventually include a 10-acre lake, bridges, water taxis, a multi-screen cinema and Westin Hotel. Apple is listed as “In discussion/negotiating” for a 4,000 square-foot space near the center of the mall.

Sayhey
Jun 5, 2006, 06:37 PM
Apple is now listing individual job openings (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/17/wo/z3yMGFnA0f8ujwjgmIhmEw/2.50) for the upcoming Calgary, Canada store in the Chinook Centre (http://www.chinookcentre.com/) shopping mall. This is a good sign for the store opening this year as it usually takes about 3-6 months from job listings to openings.

Sayhey
Jun 6, 2006, 07:31 PM
Apple has announced the Ridgedale (http://www.apple.com/retail/ridgedale/week/20060611.html) store in suburban Minneapolis, Minnesota is to open this Saturday, June 10th at 10:00 am. The usual giveaways apply.

Sayhey
Jun 9, 2006, 10:17 AM
This maybe a little in the category of "inside baseball" but for those readers of ifoAppleStore - please don't get your hopes up for a new Philly area store like the announcement (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/06/09/another-philly-region-store/) on the website today.

Another Philly Region Store
Hard no the heels of the May 13th grand opening of the Suburban Square (Penn.) store in the north suburbs of Philadelphia, Apple will open another store in the region, at the Simon-owned South Hills Village mall in Bethel Park, about 8 miles southwest of the city. The store will be on the lower level near Sears, and might make a year-end opening.

This is in fact the already opened Simon-owned South Hills Village (http://www.apple.com/retail/southhillsvillage/week/20060604.html) mall in the Bethel Park suburb of Pittsburgh. ifoAppleStore does a great job, but they blew it on this one. Of course, I made a similar mistake about a month ago when Apple changed the listing on their site from "Pittsburgh" to "Bethel Park" (I thought it was a third Pittsburgh store.) Just didn't want anyone to get too excited.

Sayhey
Jun 13, 2006, 02:13 PM
OK, it's not exactly earth-shattering news but I have to give credit where credit is due, I found this over at MacWorld (http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/06/13/memorialcity/index.php) - who would have ever thought they would be first on anything? The new Memorial City (http://www.apple.com/retail/memorialcity/week/20060618.html) mall store will open this Saturday, June 17th at 10:00 am. The normal giveaways apply (T-shirts, raffles, etc.) This is the third store to open in the Houston area, with at least one more to come this year (First Colony in Sugarland.) It is the ninth Texas store.

edit: oops! it looks like one of our own may have been the first to post the news. Congrats, to you, PeterParker (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=208575).

Sayhey
Jun 13, 2006, 02:21 PM
The proposed Apple (high-profile?) store in Portland's Alphabet District has run into problems with City's Landmarks Commission. This one may not happen.

Landmarks panel cool to Apple plans
Alphabet district - A hearing ends without a vote on plans for a store in the historic area
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
FRED LEESON
Plans for a sleek-looking Apple Computer store in a Northwest Portland historic district received an icy reception on Monday from the city's Historic Landmarks Commission, whose chairman criticized it as "franchise architecture."

A two-hour hearing over the proposed two-story glass and limestone box at 423 N.W. 23rd Ave. ended without a formal vote when the building's architect asked to come back at a July 10 meeting.

It wasn't immediately clear whether Jeff Stuhr, a Portland architect, plans to present revised plans or whether Apple will drop the project. The company does not comment on its retail store plans.... The Oregonian (http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/portland_news/115016552981830.xml&coll=7)

Scruff
Jun 13, 2006, 02:33 PM
Surely Scotland could get one at some point... I mean, we have so few in the UK, and they're all in England. I can't imagine why Glasgow wouldn't get one. I'd love that, an Apple Store on Buchanan Street... ah, awesome. I could go there on my lunch break from work, :p.

Well, this post is fairly meaningless unless you're from Scotland, or have visited Glasgow before, so I should say that I think the UK should get more stores already (especially up North :p).

MonkeyClaw
Jun 13, 2006, 02:39 PM
I just wish they would hurry up and bring one to Asheville...

Cybergypsy
Jun 14, 2006, 07:09 AM
i travel about a hour for my store, but getting 2 Ikea stores soon....yea

Sayhey
Jun 15, 2006, 03:36 PM
From the Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/06/15/apple_gets_green_light_on_boston_store_plan/):

Apple gets green light on Boston store plan
Full OK contingent on a revised design
By Jenn Abelson, Globe Staff | June 15, 2006
Apple Computer Inc. is moving in the right direction with a revised building design for its first Boston store, the Back Bay Architectural Commission told the company at a hearing last night.
Giving Apple a conditional blessing, the group approved the demolition of the existing building at 815 Boylston St. as long as the computer maker presents an appropriate building design. But the commission, while complimenting the design changes, denied for now last night's proposal, an expected move for a project of this scope, according to commission chairman Anthony Casendino.
Apple is seeking to demolish the building across from the Prudential Center, which Copy Cop currently occupies, and construct a three-story building with a glass façade. The changes presented at last night's meeting include creating a recessed entrance and installing stainless steel columns inside the store that divide the glass façade in sections -- alterations that are intended to make the modern design fit better with the older architecture in the neighborhood.
``We like the direction it's going in. You're on a great track, keep going," said John Christiansen , a commission member. ``It's technologically inspired and historically inspired."

Great news for Boston's mac fans!

JackSYi
Jun 15, 2006, 08:14 PM
Santa Barbara desparately needs one.

Sayhey
Jun 15, 2006, 09:45 PM
Santa Barbara desparately needs one.

Keep an eye out on 716 State Street for me and see if the ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/06/13/is-santa-barbara-hot/) tip turns out to be true.

Is Santa Barbara Hot?
Why would an authorized Apple reseller commit to spending $10,000 a month for five years on a space in downtown Santa Barbara (S. Calif.)? That question begs an answer with the discovery that the city’s Historic Landmarks Commission has received an application (pdf) from local architect Doug Keep to modify the entryway of 716 State Street for a “Proposed Mac Retail Store.” The 2,062 square-foot space in the midst of downtown is managed by SIMA Management Corp., who asks for a minimum five-year lease at almost $5 per s.f. The space is only 22 feet wide, but has old-world charm and a huge skylight that brightens up the interior. The façade is considered historic and unchangeable, but Apple has handled similar situations successfully at other stores (Palo Alto and Pasadena).

JackSYi
Jun 15, 2006, 10:11 PM
Keep an eye out on 716 State Street for me and see if the ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/06/13/is-santa-barbara-hot/) tip turns out to be true.

Good find. Thanks, I'll check periodically.

Sayhey
Jun 16, 2006, 02:09 PM
Thought this story on APC's (http://www.apcstart.com/site/tgaden/2006/06/363/apple-stores-in-australia-by-christmas) website would be of interest to some of our Australian members.

Apple Stores in Australia by Christmas?
16 June 2006

Tim Gaden
Rumours are beginning to circulate that Apple is planning to open at least one of its own stores in Australia by Christmas.

According to reports in the Whirlpool forums, Apple has already begun sourcing stock for the new retail venture. Despite the standard non-disclosure agreements, a poster claims to have confirmation from a third party manufacturer of Apple accessories that orders have been placed.

Once rumours get started, they are hard to stop.

Is it true that Apple has bought the Gowings Building in Market Street, Sydney, to house its new store? It has all the urban chic of an Apple Retail Store and is in a great location in the heart of Sydney’s shopping precinct.

Fiona Martin, Public Relations Manager for Apple Computer Australia, was unable to confirm or deny the rumours. “I simply can’t make a comment either way as I have no information on it”, she said.

Tim Kleeman, Director of NextByte, a prominent Australian Apple reseller chain, is not overly concerned by the rumours. “We fully expect there to be Apple Retail Stores in Australia in the short to medium term,” he said, “and NextByte’s business model is based on that assumption.”

Asked if Apple’s own stores posed a threat to resellers, he claimed that it was too early to tell. “The jury is still out on that one. On the one hand, the argument goes, it may lead to increased visibility for all things Apple; on the other, to a loss in sales. We just don’t know yet, although we will know soon.”

Sayhey
Jun 19, 2006, 12:57 AM
Apple has officially announced the seventh store in Japan is now set to open this coming weekend, June 24 at 10:00 am in the northern city of Sapporo (http://www.apple.com/jp/retail/sapporo/map/index2.html). The usual sweepstakes and t-shirt giveaways apply. If the mall's announcement of the Raleigh store opening the same weekend is true we will have two new stores Saturday.

Sayhey
Jun 19, 2006, 08:06 PM
The Crabtree Valley Mall (http://www.apple.com/retail/crabtreevalleymall/week/20060625.html) store opening in Raleigh, North Carolina is now officially on for this weekend with Apple's posting of the notice on its website. This is the third store in North Carolina and the second in the Raleigh/Durham metro area. All the usual giveaways apply.

Sayhey
Jun 20, 2006, 10:19 AM
Apple has confirmed two new retail stores in the United Kingdom. Through its listings of job opening on its UK recruitment page (http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/jobs/), Apple has acknowledged the opening of stores in the West Quay (http://www.west-quay.co.uk/website/) shopping mall in Southampton (this after removing it from its general listing months ago) and also acknowledged a new location in the Bentall Centre (http://www.thebentallcentre-shopping.com/) in Kingston. This news comes via the good people of MacWorld UK (http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=15004), although they add the already acknowledged Arndale Centre store in Manchester to their story, who had the sharp eyes to spot the change. This will bring Apple's total number of UK stores to nine. This with still no UK stores outside of England. It is also the third in the London metro area (fourth? do any locals know if the Kent store is in a part of the London metro area?)

Queso
Jun 20, 2006, 10:30 AM
This with still no UK stores outside of England. It is also the third in the London metro area (fourth? do any locals know if the Kent store is in a part of the London metro area?)

Bluewater is still within the London Orbital Motorway (M25). Although it's technically Kent, it services most of East and South-East London too.

Sayhey
Jun 20, 2006, 10:38 AM
Bluewater is still within the London Orbital Motorway (M25). Although it's technically Kent, it services most of East and South-East London too.

Thanks! I'll update the list.

This is a list of metropolitan areas, US and international, that have multiple stores or stores planned. It gives a better view of Apple's plans for certain markets. It should be noted I'm using 2000 Census Bureau statistics (table 3) (http://www.census.gov/population/www/cen2000/phc-t3.html) and metro area designations. The most important impact of the use of these figures is that Miami and West Palm Beach were then viewed as separate metro areas; they are no longer. If both areas are combined it gives a better view of Apple's obvious interest in Southeast Florida with six stores located in the area, so this is the one adjustment I've made to the table. I've added the 2000 population ranking (excluding Puerto Rico) of each U.S. area at the end of it's listing (the combining of Miami and West Palm Beach makes this the 10th largest metro area in the US.) I've also listed high-profile stores in red and stores that are confirmed by non-Apple sources in green. All other entries are from Apple's own site (existing stores (http://www.apple.com/retail/) and planned locations (https://jobs.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Employment.woa/1/wo/2bbhODKe6P9uLbLjyp5LM0/0.6.5.3.21).)

US metro areas with multiple Apple stores

New York City (18) - SoHo, Fifth Avenue, Staten Island, Roosevelt Field, Walt Whitman, Palisades, The Westchester, Bridgewater, Menlo Park, Rockaway, Short Hills, Tice’s Corner, Danbury Fair Mall, Garden State Plaza, Freehold Raceway, Stamford Town Center, Smith Haven Mall, 34th Street (planned (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=1987396&postcount=1045).) Population rank: 1

Los Angeles (18) - The Grove, Century City, Beverly Center, Brea Mall, South Coast Plaza, Glendale Galleria, Manhattan Village, Mission Viejo, Fashion Island, Northridge, Pasadena, Rancho Cucamonga, Santa Monica, Sherman Oaks, Thousand Oaks, Irvine Spectrum Center, Simi Valley Town Center, Topanga Mall (planned) Population rank: 2

San Francisco (12) - San Francisco, Stonestown, Burlingame, Corte Madera, Bay Street, Palo Alto, Stanford Shopping Center, Stoneridge Mall, Oakridge, Valley Fair, Santa Rosa Plaza, Walnut Creek. Population rank: 5

Washington DC/Baltimore (9) - Annapolis, Bethesda Row, Montgomery Mall, Towson Town Center, Clarendon, Pentagon City, Tysons Corner, The Mall at Columbia, (planned,) Fair Oaks Mall (planned.) Population rank: 4

Boston (8) - South Shore, Burlington, CambridgeSide, Chestnut Hill, Northshore, Rockingham Park, Derby Street, Bolyston (high-profile planned (http://www.boston.com/business/articles/2006/02/10/apple_plans_flagship_store_in_back_bay/).) Population rank: 7

Philadelphia (6) - King of Prussia, Christiana Mall, Sagemore, Suburban Square, The Pier, Cherry Hill (planned.) Population rank: 6

Miami/West Palm Beach (6) - The Falls, Aventura, Boca Raton, The Gardens Mall, Wellington Green, Lincoln Road. Population rank: 10

Chicago (5) - North Michigan Avenue, Northbrook, Oakbrook, Woodfield, Old Orchard. Population rank: 3

Dallas (4) - Knox Street, Willow Bend, Northpark Center, Southlake Center. Population rank: 9

Houston (4) - Houston Galleria, The Woodlands, Memorial City, First Colony Mall (planned.) Population rank: 11

Seattle (4) - University Village, Bellevue Square, Alderwood Mall, Southcenter. Population rank: 13

Minneapolis/St.Paul (4) - Mall of America, Southdale, Rosedale Center, Ridgedale Mall. Population rank:15

Denver (4) - Cherry Creek, Aspen Grove, Flatiron Crossing, 29th Street Mall (planned.) Population rank: 19

Detroit (3) - Twelve Oaks, Somerset, Partridge Creek (planned (http://www.shoppartridgecreek.com/infodesk/media/4828.html).) Population rank: 8

Atlanta (3) - Lenox Square, North Point, Perimeter Mall. Population rank: 12

San Diego (3) - Fashion Valley, UTC, Otay Ranch (planned.) Population rank: 17

Portland (3) - Pioneer Place, Bridgeport Village, Washington Square. Population rank: 22

Phoenix (2) - Biltmore, Chandler Fashion Center. Population rank: 14

Cleveland (2) - Legacy Village, Crocker Park (planned (http://www.crockerpark.com/shopping/stores.php).) Population rank:16

St. Louis (2) - Saint Louis Galleria, West County. Population rank: 18

Pittsburgh (2) - Shadyside, South Hills Village. Population rank: 21

Milwaukee (2) - Mayfair Mall, Bayshore Mall (planned (http://milwaukee.bizjournals.com/milwaukee/stories/2006/04/24/newscolumn2.html?hbx=e_sw).) Population rank: 26

Orlando (2) - Florida Mall, Millenia. Population rank: 27

Las Vegas (2) - Fashion Show, Town Square Mall (planned (http://www.turnberry.com/tanews42.htm) - opening "Fall 2007") Population rank: 31

Raleigh/Durham (2) - Southpoint, Crabtree Valley. Population rank: 40

Honolulu (2) - Ala Moana, Kahala Mall (planned.) Population rank:54

International metro areas with multiple stores

London (4) - Regent Street, Brent Cross, Bluewater, Bentall Centre (planned.)

Toronto (3) - Yorkdale, Eaton Centre, Sherway Gardens Mall.

Tokyo (2) - Ginza, Shibuya.

Manchester (2) - Trafford Centre, Arndale Centre (planned.)

iPhil
Jun 20, 2006, 10:52 AM
Hey Sayhey,

Any news on the other Oklahoma location (Tulsa) for an Apple store.. :confused: :confused:

On other news San Diego surely needs that 3rd planned store from Apple.. :D :cool:

3 Apple Stores within an hr of me (north San Diego) :cool: :cool:

Sayhey
Jun 20, 2006, 11:01 AM
Hey Sayhey,

Any news on the other Oklahoma location (Tulsa) for an Apple store.. :confused: :confused:

On other news San Diego surely needs that 3rd planned store from Apple.. :D :cool:

3 Apple Stores within an hr of me (north San Diego) :cool: :cool:

Sorry, iphil, no news on a second Oklahoma store, and I'm sure most San Diego mac fans are looking forward to the Otay Ranch store but, hey, what about a downtown opening? :D

iPhil
Jun 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
Sorry, iphil, no news on a second Oklahoma store, and I'm sure most San Diego mac fans are looking forward to the Otay Ranch store but, hey, what about a downtown opening? :D

Otay Ranch is 15 to 20 mins away from Downtown San Diego :o

Sayhey
Jun 20, 2006, 11:38 AM
Otay Ranch is 15 to 20 mins away from Downtown San Diego :o

I was thinking more along the lines of the high-profile stores that exist now in such cities as San Francisco, New York, London, Chicago, LA, Tokyo, and the planned store in Boston. Stores in the surrounding suburbs are great, but they don't play the same role as the high-profile variety that place a stamp on a city as "Apple territory." ;)

iPhil
Jun 20, 2006, 11:47 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the high-profile stores that exist now in such cities as San Francisco, New York, London, Chicago, LA, Tokyo, and the planned store in Boston. Stores in the surrounding suburbs are great, but they don't play the same role as the high-profile variety that place a stamp on a city as "Apple territory." ;)

Oh that .. I'd love to see an Apple store in San Diego like San Francisco or New York (5th Ave) need more Apple space than 2500 sf or 3000sf stores that we got now..

I'm thinking above 5K sf store 'cause San Diego has 3+ million people in the county and its ranked 1st or 2nd in So Cal for the weather/attractions.. :D

flange
Jun 20, 2006, 02:58 PM
by the way apprently the manchester arndale store will be a two storey store and a flagship one aswell

Information on Two Storey Store first

Another email flew into my inbox this afternoon with some interesting news:
"When I was shopping in the Arndale recently, I went to the information desk to see if they had any information on the new Apple Store. The girl told me that it was expected to be a split-level store like the one to the right of it, and would be opening in June or September."

I'm still saying June [purely as there's other stores due to open in June in the US, as well as the fact that I've been told June by another member of staff at the Arndale], but the most interesting factor is the split level store - could it mean there's a theatre at the Arndale? Let the speculation continue! For those who were concerned about the sign's disappearance, I'm pleased to report it's back up as of 10am today. For how long it remains to be seen!

Flaship Store information

As for it being a 'flagship store', here's some info about Manchester:
Served by the largest airport outside of London, which has 20 million passengers a year, flying to 180 worldwide destinations with 90 airlines

The Arndale is the largest city centre shopping centre in the U.K.
My ever useful source of info Phoxophrys says "Hopefully it'll be a flagship store - if you look at the airport usage stats a big portion of foreign visitors vist Manchester Airport, so they'll spend some time in Manc."
Don't get me wrong - I'm really hoping it is a flagship, but I'd love to hear some more

All Information Taken From
http://www.nikfletcher.com/apple/arndale.php

Sayhey
Jun 20, 2006, 04:13 PM
by the way apprently the manchester arndale store will be a two storey store and a flagship one aswell

I hope you're right. Let us know how it looks when it opens.

flange
Jun 22, 2006, 09:54 AM
Looks like work on the Apple Store in Manchester Arndale is moving along not too sure on the colour though

http://images5.pictiger.com/thumbs/d5/420c66c72142e48ee0aa2eb458d9cbd5.th.jpg (http://server5.pictiger.com/img/379781/picture-hosting/arndale-apple.php)

Courtesy of
http://www.nikfletcher.com/apple/arndale.php

latergator116
Jun 22, 2006, 10:19 AM
Update on the Providence store for Sayhey and anyone else interested:

There is still no apple logo on the on the plywood (space bewtween Sharper Image and Pottery Barn), but the store is listed on the mall directory as "coming soon". http://www.providenceplace.com/mallmap.asp?mallid=1634 (look under "T" for "The Apple Store"). This space has been under construction for a while, so let's hope the store will be opening soon!

Sayhey
Jun 22, 2006, 05:56 PM
Update on the Providence store for Sayhey and anyone else interested:

There is still no apple logo on the on the plywood (space bewtween Sharper Image and Pottery Barn), but the store is listed on the mall directory as "coming soon". http://www.providenceplace.com/mallmap.asp?mallid=1634 (look under "T" for "The Apple Store"). This space has been under construction for a while, so let's hope the store will be opening soon!

Thanks for the update, 'gator. I still haven't heard any word myself, but I'm sure in the next two months we will see the opening. If you can get any pictures of the new store, I for one would love to see them. Thanks again.

latergator116
Jun 22, 2006, 06:23 PM
Thanks for the update, 'gator. I still haven't heard any word myself, but I'm sure in the next two months we will see the opening. If you can get any pictures of the new store, I for one would love to see them. Thanks again.

No problem. If I can't get to the grand opening, I'll be sure to take some pictures later on.

Edit: here is a picture of the space from ifoapplestore.com http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/02/23/providence-place-store-under-construction/

Sayhey
Jun 24, 2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks to macsurfer (http://www.macsurfer.com/) for the link to this page (http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/apple_open_store_in_japan_a_1000_people_queue_up.php) with photos of today's Sapporo opening. The story says over 1,000 lined up to see the new store.

Sayhey
Jun 27, 2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks again to ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/06/27/new-westside-cleveland-store/) for its story on a new store in suburban Cleveland (its second store.) The Crocker Park (http://www.crockerpark.com/shopping/stores.php) mall's website clearly has a "Coming Soon" listing for a new Apple store. Cleveland is presently the largest US metro area with only one store.

Also of interest is ifo's store on possible problems with the "Paris-Opera (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/06/26/paris-store-in-jeopardy/)" store (see post #130) that has been rumored to be opened this year.

Sayhey
Jun 27, 2006, 10:50 AM
Apple has made it official. The stores in Stamford (http://www.apple.com/retail/stamford/week/20060702.html), Connecticut and Knoxville (http://www.apple.com/retail/westtownmall/week/20060702.html), Tennessee are opening this Saturday, July 1st at 10:00 am. Both have the usual giveaways.

DJMastaWes
Jun 27, 2006, 11:09 AM
One is opening here in montreal!! I can't wait to go and check everything out. Hopefully there nicer there then the palce i normally go. I went to buy 2 iPods, and the looked at me as if I stole the money, or I stole the bank card or something. and it took about 40 mins to get service for me just to buy 2 iPods.

Detlev
Jun 29, 2006, 07:02 PM
The $2,000,000 Back Bay (Boston) store is in the design stage and architectual drawings are in progress. The San Francisco firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson http://www.bcj.com is the architect. Notably they have designed several Apple stores and the Pixar headquarters. The estimated start date for construction is October 2006.

Sayhey
Jun 29, 2006, 07:47 PM
The $2,000,000 Back Bay (Boston) store is in the design stage and architectual drawings are in progress. The San Francisco firm Bohlin Cywinski Jackson http://www.bcj.com is the architect. Notably they have designed several Apple stores and the Pixar headquarters. The estimated start date for construction is October 2006.

I'm assuming this means Apple got approval to demolish the old building on the site?

Detlev
Jun 29, 2006, 09:14 PM
Plans call for the demolition of an existing 16,587-square-foot building. Construction will include a three-story 22,116-square-foot retail facility – pending approval. They must feel pretty good about this to make the announcement.

I do have to wonder if the BSA is a little put off that Apple is bringing their own architect posse into town. Judging from the list of clients BCJ does not have a lot of experience in this neighborhood. Anyway, should make for a nice field trip for students at the BAC (a whole two blocks away).

Sayhey
Jul 6, 2006, 07:34 PM
It looks like the planned fourth store in Portand, Oregon has been cancelled due to problems with a local commission. This is the same thing that happened to the Flatiron project in New York.

Portland Store Cancelled
For the second time in nine months Apple has cancelled plans for a new store after local officials criticized the store’s proposed architecture. According to an article by Daily Journal of Commerce (Portland, Ore.), Apple has decided not to pursue the store proposed for 437 N.W. 23rd Ave. in that city. Apple and Holst Architecture presented their original design to the city’s Historic Landmarks Commission in early February, but their proposal was met with pointed criticism (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/02/08/portland-design-commission-slaps-architect/). A second design presented to the commission in mid-June was similarly received (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/06/13/2nd-portland-turn-down/). Apple abandoned plans for a Flatiron district (NYC) store last September after the Community Board for the Ladies Miles Historic District, and the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission criticized the all-glass storefront. Check this local blog (http://chatterbox.typepad.com/portlandarchitecture/2006/07/landmarks_commi.html) for background and feedback on the proposed Portland store.ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/07/06/portland-store-cancelled/)

Sayhey
Jul 11, 2006, 09:21 AM
ifoAppleStore has pictures of the long, long awaited Lincoln Road (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/07/10/unique-store-facade-uncovered/) store in Miami Beach.

Be sure to check out Gary's post. The rumored opening date is July 15th. Anyone in South Florida got a message from Apple?

Sayhey
Jul 14, 2006, 10:40 PM
Apple has made it official on both accounts of the previously discussed Lincoln Road and San Luis Obispo (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2595520&postcount=1199) stores. With the Lincoln Road store in Miami Beach, Apple has sent out the usual notices (http://www.apple.com/retail/lincolnroad/week/20060723.html) about the upcoming opening on July 21st for the night opening at 6:00 pm. The usual t-shirt and sweepstakes giveaways apply. With the San Luis Obispo location, the local newspapers have just begun reporting discussions between Apple and the city for a Higuera street store and now Apple has listed the location on its website. This is the usual first step towards an opening 6-9 months later. Everyone living in metro areas with a population of 250,000 or more and no Apple store should take note - this is the smallest site to get a store yet.

Sayhey
Jul 14, 2006, 10:59 PM
Once again, here is the updated list of FY2006 stores so those who don't want to wade through all of the earlier pages will have it easily available. This shows stores already opened in FY 2006 (in red,) and upcoming stores confirmed by Apple's own listings (including stores officially announced in gold, stores in the process of staff recruitment in green, and new locations which have only been listed as upcoming retail sites in black.) Between thirty-five and forty of those listed below are planned to be opened by Sept. 30th.

Suburban Square - Ardmore, Pennsylvania - opened 5/13
Simi Valley Town Center - Simi Valley, California - opened 5/13
Fifth Avenue - New York City, New York - opened 5/19
Freehold Raceway - Freehold, New Jersey - opened 5/27
Perimeter Mall - Atlanta, Georgia - opened 6/03
Ridgedale Mall - Minneapolis, Minnesota - opened 6/10
Memorial City Mall - Houston, Texas - opened 6/17
Sapporo - Sapporo, Japan - opened 6/24
Crabtree Valley Mall - Raleigh, North Carolina - opened 6/24
Stamford Town Center - Stamford, Connecticut - opened 7/01
West Town Mall - Knoxville, Tennessee - opened 7/01
Lincoln Road - Miami Beach, Florida - opened 7/21
The Pier - Atlantic City, New Jersey - opened 8/19
Sherway Gardens - Toronto, Canada - opened 9/02
Le Carrefour Laval - Montreal, Canada - opened 9/09
Smith Haven Mall - Lake Grove, New York - opened 9/09
MacArthur Center - Norfolk, Virginia - opened 9/09
ABQ Uptown Center - Albuquerque, New Mexico (mall opening Fall 2006 (http://www.abquptown.com/images/ABQUptownBrochure.pdf))
Coconut Point Mall - Bonita Springs, Florida (mall completed by Nov. 2006 (http://www.simon.com/mall/mall_info.aspx?ID=1202))
Otay Ranch Town Center - San Diego, California (mall opening 10-27-06 (http://otayranchtowncenter.com/html/Mallinfo.asp))
West Quay Mall, Southampton, UK
Bentall Centre, Kingston, UK
899 Higuera Street - San Luis Obispo, California
Kahala Mall - Honolulu, Hawaii

Town Square Mall - Las Vegas, Nevada (mall opening "Fall 2007")
Crocker Park - Westlake, Ohio
Holyoke Mall - Ingleside, Massachusetts (coming 2007 (http://www.holyokemall.com/content.asp?ContentId=867&contenttype=Whats_New))

dansgil
Jul 15, 2006, 12:16 PM
Vancouver, BC, Canada really needs a store. I can't believe Calgary is getting one before Vancouver!

However, if Apple builds an Apple Store in Vancouver, it should be a full-size standalone store, not one of those tiny mall stores.

vandoog
Jul 18, 2006, 04:01 PM
With a metro population of 2.2 million, Vancouver must be the largest area without a store. We feel left out by Apple.

Sayhey
Jul 21, 2006, 08:12 AM
Apple has now started listing a job opening for a store manager in the upcoming San Luis Obispo store.

connorhays
Jul 21, 2006, 09:49 AM
they will make a lot of money

supremedesigner
Jul 21, 2006, 03:15 PM
<snip> Knoxville (http://www.apple.com/retail/westtownmall/week/20060702.html), Tennessee are opening this Saturday, July 1st at 10:00 am. </snip>

My prayer has been answered! :)

jlewis2k1
Jul 23, 2006, 12:03 AM
so today a group of my friends went to Omaha, NE and we decided to go to Village Pointe (one of the malls) and guess what we see? a black spray painted wooden cover up what has the Apple logo with www.apple.com below it. So, i assume its opening late fall?

Sayhey
Jul 24, 2006, 01:10 AM
As has been reported earlier there have been rumors in the Honolulu papers of a second Apple store, well Apple has made it official with the listing of a new location "Kahala-Honolulu-HI" on its "Search Jobs" web page (probably representing a new store in the Kahala Mall (http://www.kahalamallcenter.com/index.asp).) No individual job listings as of yet.

Chundles
Jul 24, 2006, 01:15 AM
With a metro population of 2.2 million, Vancouver must be the largest area without a store. We feel left out by Apple.

4 million here in Sydney waiting for one too...

There are rumours that Apple has purchased the old Gowings building right in the middle of the city - awesome location but the building is huuuge.

Flagship store???

Sayhey
Jul 24, 2006, 01:51 AM

There are rumours that Apple has purchased the old Gowings building right in the middle of the city - awesome location but the building is huuuge.

Flagship store???

Big news if it turns out to be true! Sydney has GOT to be high on Apple's expansion list. Any links to these rumors, Chundles?

Chundles
Jul 24, 2006, 02:12 AM
Big news if it turns out to be true! Sydney has GOT to be high on Apple's expansion list. Any links to these rumors, Chundles?

Hunting them down now...

Here's a story from APC, nothing substantial though.
http://www.apcstart.com/site/tgaden/2006/06/363/apple-stores-in-australia-by-christmas

Sayhey
Jul 28, 2006, 08:15 PM
The new Kahala Mall location in Honolulu, Hawaii now has individual job openings listed on Apple's "Search Jobs" web page. Usually this means the store will open within 6 to 9 months.

Killyp
Jul 28, 2006, 09:39 PM
How come there seems to be Apple stores everywhere in the UK (there's one in bath, and bath is one of the smallest cities), and yet some HUGE cities in other parts of the world (like the US) don't have one?

MattyMac
Jul 29, 2006, 07:09 AM
Can't wait to find out the date of the Atlantic City, NJ store!

bug2001
Jul 30, 2006, 11:17 PM
Hi,

How would I find new Apple Store locations so I can send them my resume and cover letter?

1. Albuqerque, ABQ Uptown-R177

2. Kahala-Honolulu

3. Otay Ranch Town Center, San Diego

AND

4. The new store in downtown Milwaukee

Thanks for your help

Sayhey
Jul 30, 2006, 11:36 PM
bug2001, the best way I know is to go to Apple's "Inside Apple Retail (http://www.apple.com/jobs/retail/index.html)" and follow the links there. There is a "Search Jobs" tab that will link you to a page in which you can search the job openings for each store and links that will give you all the information you need to apply. Good luck.

Sayhey
Aug 11, 2006, 10:22 AM
Good news for mac fans in Boston.

Back Bay panel OK's store plan by Apple
Preliminary design now faces scrutiny by BRA, agencies
By Chris Reidy, Globe Staff | August 11, 2006
The Back Bay Architectural Commission approved Apple Computer Inc.'s preliminary design for a store on Boylston Street near the Prudential Center.

``They've cleared a big hurdle," said the commission's chairman, Anthony Casendino.
While details are still being tweaked, Apple has generally been proposing to construct a three-story building with a green roof and a front made largely of glass after demolishing the building at 815 Boylston St. The store would be Apple's first in Boston. There are Apple stores at malls in Chestnut Hill and Cambridge and at four other Massachusetts sites.
The store proposal still awaits approvals from other city agencies and from the Boston Redevelopment Authority....Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/business/globe/articles/2006/08/11/back_bay_panel_oks_store_plan_by_apple/)

DiamondMac
Aug 11, 2006, 04:52 PM
Damn. Was hoping Apple would open a store here in New Orleans.

WhiteShadow
Aug 14, 2006, 08:28 AM
There is a new apple store in Milwaukee? Since when?

mhuk01
Aug 14, 2006, 08:34 AM
How come there seems to be Apple stores everywhere in the UK (there's one in bath, and bath is one of the smallest cities), and yet some HUGE cities in other parts of the world (like the US) don't have one?

are you saying there's a proper apple store in bath, in the UK?!

WHERE!

i live just down the road, about a 40 minute drive on the motorway. I would know about it, i think the nearest proper apple store for me is about two hours.:)

Sayhey
Aug 14, 2006, 11:01 AM
There is a new apple store in Milwaukee? Since when?

There is a new Apple Store coming to the Bayshore Mall in Glendale according to a local news report (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2343451&postcount=109). Only one store in the Milwaukee area now.

Chundles
Aug 14, 2006, 11:07 AM

And here. Now granted we have a small population but Sydney is a city of 4 million+ people, Melbourne about 3.5 million - they're decent sized cities and with some seriously good real estate.

Unless the Apple Store in Hawaï is open my closest Apple Store is in Japan.

gauchogolfer
Aug 14, 2006, 11:08 AM

Flagship store???

10.5 million in Paris waiting for the first one in the entire freaking country. I hope that the 2007 rumor pans out.

Chundles
Aug 14, 2006, 11:10 AM
10.5 million in Paris waiting for the first one in the entire freaking country. I hope that the 2007 rumor pans out.

We don't have any proper Apple Stores either. Just resellers. My closest Apple Store is in Japan.

DJMastaWes
Aug 14, 2006, 11:11 AM
Anyone know when the Montreal store is going to open?

eenu
Aug 14, 2006, 11:13 AM
we have 2 in manchester here in the UK. The second of which i went to get a job at but didn't get it. Can't say i much care anymore given what they were looking for their 'Mac Specialists'!

gauchogolfer
Aug 14, 2006, 11:16 AM
We don't have any proper Apple Stores either. Just resellers. My closest Apple Store is in Japan.

OK...I'm not great at geography over there, but enough to know that that's farther than for me to get to England ;). You win in the stranded competition. :D

Chundles
Aug 14, 2006, 11:19 AM
OK...I'm not great at geography over there, but enough to know that that's farther than for me to get to England ;). You win in the stranded competition. :D

I think Lollypop over in South Africa might be the most stranded, or possibly the Kiwis.

Here's the comparison if you're interested:

http://www.ga.gov.au/servlet/BigObjFileManager?bigobjid=GA6261

You've got 30x the population though... might be a tiny bit of a reason for Apple to go to Europe before here ;)

Sayhey
Aug 15, 2006, 02:51 AM
Apple has officially announced the opening of the new store in Atlantic City. This store located at The Pier At Ceasar's (http://www.apple.com/retail/thepier/week/20060820.html) is New Jersey's ninth store. It will open on August 19th at 11:00 am. The usual giveaways will apply.

Sayhey
Aug 15, 2006, 02:58 AM
Anyone know when the Montreal store is going to open?
Latest rumors are for an early October opening. Keep an eye on ehMac (http://www.ehmac.ca/index.php) for any early word.

Sayhey
Aug 15, 2006, 08:02 PM
The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2006/08/first_look_at_a.html) has a picture of a rendering of the upcoming Bolyston Ave. store in downtown Boston.

evilgEEk
Aug 15, 2006, 09:10 PM
Wow, that looks pretty incredible. I hope it's approved, I really like that design. :cool:

WhiteShadow
Aug 15, 2006, 10:22 PM
that looks pretty kick a**

WhiteShadow
Aug 15, 2006, 10:26 PM
rock on Milwaukee apple store number 2, coming soon.

Detlev
Aug 15, 2006, 11:07 PM
The Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2006/08/first_look_at_a.html) has a picture of a rendering of the upcoming Bolyston Ave. store in downtown Boston.
Just for clarification, it is Boylston St and it is in the Back Bay not Downtown. We may be a small city but we're darned proud of our neighborhoods. The Back Bay is a grid of streets and downtown is a bunch of cow paths leading toward the Commons (yes, really). Downtown is close to the Financial District and sits upon the original Boston (of colonial times) whereas the Back Bay was created in the late 19th century and early 20th century by filling in the back bay. Environmentalists would have a hay day with that today.

BTW it does look pretty good. I hope they are expecting more customerss than that!!

Sayhey
Aug 15, 2006, 11:34 PM
Just for clarification, it is Boylston St and it is in the Back Bay not Downtown. We may be a small city but we're darned proud of our neighborhoods. The Back Bay is a grid of streets and downtown is a bunch of cow paths leading toward the Commons (yes, really). Downtown is close to the Financial District and sits upon the original Boston (of colonial times) whereas the Back Bay was created in the late 19th century and early 20th century by filling in the back bay. Environmentalists would have a hay day with that today.

BTW it does look pretty good. I hope they are expecting more customerss than that!!

My apologies to all of Boston! ;)

It does look good, doesn't it? :D

Sayhey
Aug 17, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evidently the hot rumor (http://www.japanconsuming.com/?p=1416#respond) in Japan is that Apple is planning to open a new store in the Omotesando district of Tokyo.

gallinger
Aug 17, 2006, 07:13 PM
does anyone know where in canada that they are putting them?

Counterfit
Aug 17, 2006, 07:23 PM
Just in case anyone was wondering, the Providence store should open in late September.

Sayhey
Aug 18, 2006, 01:17 PM

Apple is currently recruiting (http://www.apple.com/jobs/retail/ca/index.html) staff for three additional stores that all should open this year. They include a store in the Chinook Mall in Calgary; a store in the Carrefour Laval mall in the Laval suburb of Montreal; and a store in the Sherway Gardens mall in the Etobicoke suburb of Toronto. All share with the two opened stores in Toronto the fact that the malls are owned by Cadillac-Fairview. (http://www.cadillacfairview.com/Client/Cadillac/CF_UW_V500_MainEngine.nsf/pagedocid/70379F8D8A5B577185256A33004EB8F5?OpenDocument) There is also a rumor that Apple will also open a store in Cadillac-Fairview's Masonville Place (http://www.masonvilleplace.ca/home/index.ch2) mall in London, Ontario but this is just a rumor pushed by ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html) at this point. Lastly, everyone expects Apple to open a store in Vancouver at some point, but I've seen nothing more than speculation up to now.

Detlev
Aug 23, 2006, 05:11 PM
Shawmut Design and Construction has been named Generaql Contractor. The project is still listed as pending approval. The total square footage is 22,116.

Sayhey
Aug 26, 2006, 01:51 PM
Apple has begun listing a new location on their "Search Jobs" webpage. Under the listing of "Zurich-Bahnhofstr" Apple seems to be signaling the opening of a new store on Zurich's famed Bahnhofstrasse (http://www.bahnhofstrasse-zuerich.ch/index_e.html). This would be the first Apple store in Switzerland and the second announced store in continental Europe. This would confirm earlier rumors (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2379088&postcount=117) of a Bahnhofstrasse 77 location.

MacinDoc
Aug 26, 2006, 02:12 PM
Chinook Centre in Calgary has announced that an Apple store will be opening there this year.
Oops, sorry, Sayhey, I replied before I saw your post.

machappymeal
Aug 28, 2006, 07:10 AM
Wish there was an Apple store in Northern Ireland:(

Although if there was I'd spend all my time and wages there so maybe it's best if there isn't:eek:

Sayhey
Aug 29, 2006, 04:16 AM
Apple has officially announced the opening of its third Toronto area store, in the Sherway Gardens (http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/sherwaygardens/week/20060903.html) mall on September 2nd at 9:30 am. The usual giveaways apply.

Also of note, ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/08/28/second-memphis-store-planned/) is reporting that the Memphis area will get its second store in the Carriage Crossing mall.

Spanna
Aug 29, 2006, 04:56 AM
Talking about Apple stores in Sydney Australia, I was wondering what the difference is between an Apple store and a Apple centre. All the Apple "shops" in Australia (that i have been to) are called Apple centre's and when i asked one of the staff about who opperates the shop she said it worked like a franchise and she used Mcdonalds as an example. Also I was amazed that there was no advertising for the opening of the Bondi junction ( Bondi junction is in Sydney) Apple centre, given it is in a prime location and has a interior design to match that of any Apple centre in America

Chundles
Aug 29, 2006, 05:11 AM
Talking about Apple stores in Sydney Australia, I was wondering what the difference is between an Apple store and a Apple centre. All the Apple "shops" in Australia (that i have been to) are called Apple centre's and when i asked one of the staff about who opperates the shop she said it worked like a franchise and she used Mcdonalds as an example. Also I was amazed that there was no advertising for the opening of the Bondi junction ( Bondi junction is in Sydney) Apple centre, given it is in a prime location and has a interior design to match that of any Apple centre in America

AppleCentres are a group of different re-sellers. They sell and repair Apple products but they are not owned or run by Apple Australia. Apple Australia have no retail presence here.

I've been to a small Apple Store in the Boston area and the difference is night and day. Full support, all products in stock, Genius Bar - it's really a big difference. The Apple Centres here are not bad but they really pale in comparison to the proper Apple Stores.

Currently there is a little rumour in the PC mags about Apple purchasing space in the old Gowings building for the first southern hemisphere Apple Store, Next Byte in Sydney are expecting Apple to move in at some stage and the market in Sydney is certainly large enough (Sydney is bigger than Toronto or Montréal) to justify a flagship Apple Store. Currently our closest Apple Store is in Japan or Hawaii - certainly sub-optimal.

Spanna
Aug 29, 2006, 05:34 AM
've been to a small Apple Store in the Boston area and the difference is night and day. Full support, all products in stock, Genius Bar - it's really a big difference. The Apple Centres here are not bad but they really pale in comparison to the proper Apple Stores.

Well fair dinkum. In regards to the Genius bars do they offer advice for free, or is there a charge, I was just curious as the Apple cenre In Taylor square certaintly doesn't offer any free advice and were quite rude when I queried them on a prblem with my Airport even after I bought my Imac there recantly, yet when my sister whent in with her 2 1/2 year old powerbook she walked out with a new screen and entirely new case even though it wasn't under warrenty.

Chundles
Aug 29, 2006, 05:41 AM
Well fair dinkum. In regards to the Genius bars do they offer advice for free, or is there a charge, I was just curious as the Apple cenre In Taylor square certaintly doesn't offer any free advice and were quite rude when I queried them on a prblem with my Airport even after I bought my Imac there recantly, yet when my sister whent in with her 2 1/2 year old powerbook she walked out with a new screen and entirely new case even though it wasn't under warrenty.

Pretty sure it's free, not positive though. You have to make a booking as they can get pretty busy.

It's a far better shopping experience in general. Mind you, the guys down at the Wollongong Apple Centre have always been helpful to me.

aswitcher
Aug 29, 2006, 06:02 AM
I've been to a small Apple Store in the Boston area and the difference is night and day. Full support, all products in stock, Genius Bar - it's really a big difference. The Apple Centres here are not bad but they really pale in comparison to the proper Apple Stores.

Currently there is a little rumour in the PC mags about Apple purchasing space in the old Gowings building for the first southern hemisphere Apple Store, Next Byte in Sydney are expecting Apple to move in at some stage and the market in Sydney is certainly large enough (Sydney is bigger than Toronto or Montréal) to justify a flagship Apple Store. Currently our closest Apple Store is in Japan or Hawaii - certainly sub-optimal.

I agree with the difference. I have been to the London flagship store and it was pretty overwhelming with its size. It would be great to have a place to drag my MacBOok Pro (currently in for repair :( ) when I need help with things I cant figure out myself or online. It woudl also be excellent to drag would-be-switchers to try and show them Apple is a force to be reconded with.

I too have heard the speculation about Apple moving into Sydney. Gowings would be a good choice for look and location.

Spanna
Aug 29, 2006, 06:19 AM
It's a far better shopping experience in general. Mind you, the guys down at the Wollongong Apple Centre have always been helpful to me
I also remember going to the nextbyte Apple store in north Sydney with my dad when I was a kid and they were realy accomadating, letting us play games like Dark Castle on the then state of the art Mac SE's. I just hope that if Apple does open an Apple store on Oxford street that it doesn't become too trendy, Apple doesn't whant to get the image of producing A wanka's computer like Volvo has with its cars.

Prints
Aug 31, 2006, 08:12 AM
Anyone out there have any idea when the Albuquerque store is going to open ??

al85
Aug 31, 2006, 03:00 PM
Picture of what looks like it could turn into a Mac store. Any idea people? It is where Sephora used to be in West Quay (next to Hennes).

Sayhey
Aug 31, 2006, 11:59 PM
Apple has made it official (http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/carrefourlaval/week/20060910.html) and announced the opening of its new store in the Montreal suburb of Laval to take place on September 9th at 10:00 am. The Carrefour Laval store will be the first in the Montreal area and the fourth in Canada. The usual giveaways apply.

Chundles
Sep 1, 2006, 12:00 AM

It's there and ready to go but Steve keeps making the wrong turn when he gets into town.

Sayhey
Sep 1, 2006, 12:05 AM

All I've heard is the new mall is opening in the "fall" with the store opening to coincide with that date.

edit: I guess if I read the mall's website (http://www.abquptown.com/directory.sstg) correctly, it is open and functioning with new tenants "coming soon." Sorry, I can't be of help.

Sayhey
Sep 1, 2006, 09:33 PM

ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/09/01/smith-haven-grand-opening/) is reporting the Smith Haven store is set to open on Sept. 9th. I can't confirm as my searches of the mall sites and Apple's usual notifications don't bring up anything, but it sounds as if Gary has good information.
Smith Haven Grand Opening
The Smith Haven (NY) store grand opening is set for Sept. 9th, with the traditional 1,000 commemorative T-shirts and sweepstakes prize worth $2,229.

edit: Apple now confirms (http://www.apple.com/retail/smithhaven/week/20060910.html) the opening on the 9th of September at 10:00 am.

DeVizardofOZ
Sep 2, 2006, 08:47 AM
Beijing, there was once an APPLE store, actually the dependance of the official Hongkong shop. Now this store closed down...:mad:
Since a month or so an APPLE (listen to this) "reseller" opened up in a nearby Holiday Inn Hotel opened up. They have got all the original products, MBP, MB, Ipods, speakers, etc.

Has anyone heard of an "official APPLE reseller"???

Sayhey
Sep 4, 2006, 11:43 AM
Apple has officially announced the opening this Saturday, September 9th at 10:00 am of its new store in the MacArthur Center (http://www.apple.com/retail/macarthurcenter/week/20060910.html) in Norfolk, Virginia. This is the first in the Norfolk metro area, the largest US metro area without a store, and the fifth in the state. It is also the third store to open this coming weekend, to also include the Smith Haven and Carrefour Laval stores. The regular giveaways apply.

Chundles
Sep 4, 2006, 11:48 AM
Beijing, there was once an APPLE store, actually the dependance of the official Hongkong shop. Now this store closed down...:mad:
Since a month or so an APPLE (listen to this) "reseller" opened up in a nearby Holiday Inn Hotel opened up. They have got all the original products, MBP, MB, Ipods, speakers, etc.

Has anyone heard of an "official APPLE reseller"???

Yeah, all our physical stores that sell Apple products are Apple Resellers here. They are not owned by Apple, they sell Apple products.

Here in Australia, Apple have no physical retail presence, anyone selling Apple products with Apple's official approval is an Authorised Reseller.

Our AppleCentres are quite well organised, well designed, well stocked and are generally a good Apple-buying experience. Some of the bigger stores offer stuff comparable to the proper Apple Stores in the US/Canada/UK/Japan.

Sayhey
Sep 4, 2006, 01:47 PM
A while back I noticed a change in wording over at Apple's Italian recruitment page (http://www.apple.com/it/retail/jobs/en/), but I didn't draw any conclusion from it. Apple had removed the wording "to open in 2006," and I should have realized it meant something was wrong. Now, ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/08/30/rome-store-opening-delay/) forwards a report of the reason - the Rome store is delayed into 2007.

Rome Store Opening Delay
The opening of the Apple retail store inside the RomaEst (Rome, Italy) mall has been delayed by construction, which won’t be finished until February 2007. The SetteB.IT Web site (http://www.setteb.it/content/view/805) has posted a full construction report, with photos of the rural mall east of Rome. The store spaces seem too small for a typical Apple store, the Web site reports, so the exact location of the store is still a mystery.

Also, now that I've posted Montreal's opening of the Carrefour Laval store, all of the sudden the link to Apple's official announcement is no longer working. Is a delay in progress for the September 9th opening there?

Lastly, as readers of this thread know, I posted the news of Apple's website listing of the Zurich store (post #220 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2762396&postcount=220),) but that location has now disappeared. This happened with the West Quay store in Southampton as well, so that may mean nothing, but I pass it on for those who are interested.

edit: the Montreal link (http://www.apple.com/ca/retail/carrefourlaval/week/20060910.html) is now working again, but the time for the grand opening will be at 9:00 am on 9/09 instead of 10:00.

Sayhey
Sep 5, 2006, 10:23 AM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/09/04/mid-mass-store-planned/) is reporting plans for a new Apple store in the Springfield, Massachusetts metro area, to be located in the Holyoke Mall (http://www.holyokemall.com/) in Ingleside, to open next year. This would be the first store in Massachusetts outside the Boston metro area. The Mall's website (http://www.holyokemall.com/content.asp?ContentId=867&contenttype=Whats_New) confirms the rumor.

vincebio
Sep 5, 2006, 10:26 AM
a certain agency in Glasgow has been put out to find the best 2 prime sites in GLasgow and Edinburgh for 200

you heard it here first

:)

Sayhey
Sep 5, 2006, 10:35 AM
a certain agency in Glasgow has been put out to find the best 2 prime sites in GLasgow and Edinburgh for 200

you heard it here first

:)
200? :confused:

I suppose you can't give more of hint about the agency, right? Glasgow and Edinburgh make a heck of a lot of sense.

vincebio
Sep 5, 2006, 11:49 AM
apologies

i will come back with the agency name shortly

latergator116
Sep 5, 2006, 02:10 PM
ifoAppleStore (http://www.ifoapplestore.com/2006/09/04/mid-mass-store-planned/) is reporting plans for a new Apple store in the Springfield, Massachusetts metro area, to be located in the Holyoke Mall (http://www.holyokemall.com/) in Ingleside, to open next year. This would be the first store in Massachusetts outside the Boston metro area. The Mall's website (http://www.holyokemall.com/content.asp?ContentId=867&contenttype=Whats_New) confirms the rumor.

Interesting. Holyoke is a poor run down mill town in Western Mass (I'm not trying to knock Holyoke)... it just seems like an odd location for an apple store.

Sayhey
Sep 5, 2006, 10:01 PM
Interesting. Holyoke is a poor run down mill town in Western Mass (I'm not trying to knock Holyoke)... it just seems like an odd location for an apple store.

'gator, I haven't a clue about the shopping patterns in the Springfield area, and know only what I see at their website about the Holyoke mall, but the Springfield metro area is about 600,000 people strong. It is among the likely next tier of US metro areas to get their first stores.

Here are the top twenty US metro areas without a store or one planned. Springfield used to be #17 on this list, so you see, in that regard, it fits right in with the next stage of Apple's retail expansion. Anyway, I'm sure you'll agree, it's good to see an opening coming in Western Mass.

New Orleans, Louisiana
Louisville, Kentucky
Dayton, Ohio
Fresno, California
Birmingham, Alabama
Tulsa, Oklahoma
El Paso, Texas
Bakersfield, California
Toledo, Ohio
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Youngstown/Warren, Ohio
Little Rock, Arkansas
McAllen/Edinburg, Texas
Stockton/Lodi, California

btw, I keep looking for an announcement about Providence Place, and I haven't seen anything yet. How about you? Hear any news?

latergator116
Sep 6, 2006, 07:16 AM
btw, I keep looking for an announcement about Providence Place, and I haven't seen anything yet. How about you? Hear any news?

Thanks for the info. The mall website says "coming this fall", but I haven't seen any barricade with an apple logo put up... "coming this fall" could probably mean anywhere in the October-December timeframe.

latergator116
Sep 6, 2006, 07:19 AM
'gator, I haven't a clue about the shopping patterns in the Springfield area, and know only what I see at their website about the Holyoke mall, but the Springfield metro area is about 600,000 people strong. It is among the likely next tier of US metro areas to get their first stores.

Here are the top twenty US metro areas without a store or one planned. Springfield used to be #17 on this list, so you see, in that regard, it fits right in with the next stage of Apple's retail expansion. Anyway, I'm sure you'll agree, it's good to see an opening coming in Western Mass.

Yes, of course. I always forget how close Holyoke is to Springfield. Now that I think about it, Springfield actually isn't that far from Hartford, so maybe that another reasoning for the location.

Twanglow
Sep 7, 2006, 04:46 AM
are you saying there's a proper apple store in bath, in the UK?!

WHERE!

i live just down the road, about a 40 minute drive on the motorway. I would know about it, i think the nearest proper apple store for me is about two hours.:)

Er, this is going back a couple of pages but I live in Bath, UK, so... The store in Bath is a Premium Reseller under the name of Farpoint Developments, on Monmouth Street. They're opening a bigger store in Walcot Street at the end of September. The Powerbook I'm writing this on came from them, and they seem fine to deal with, but it's not yer actual Apple Store.

Roller
Sep 10, 2006, 06:14 PM
According to an article in today's Birmingham News, an Apple Store will be opening at The Summit by March. The article also says that negotiations over a previous space fell through because it was too small by six inches. Sounds crazy, but who knows? They also don't say if this was the rumored store #005 from 2001.

vandoog
Sep 11, 2006, 02:12 AM
If you expanded your list to include Canada, it would be interesting to see where some Canadian metro areas fit in. I think I know where Vancouver would be! :)