PDA

View Full Version : eBay shill bidding suspension?

gangst
Mar 28, 2006, 04:05 PM
Hi,

I don't really know what the policy is with this, so I thought I'd ask here.
If an eBay user is suspended for the first time for shill bidding do they get their account back after 7 days if they send a declaration? Anyone had this experience, because this has happened to a friend of mine and he is confused with whether he will or will not get his account back, this is the first time it has happened to him and he is a good user, except for this lapse.

Thanks for any help.

TMA
Mar 28, 2006, 04:09 PM
I'm curious - What is 'shill bidding' ?

gangst
Mar 28, 2006, 04:10 PM
shill bidding is eBay's term for using another account related to yourself to artificially inflate the items auction price.

WildCowboy
Mar 28, 2006, 04:12 PM
Shill Bidding (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-shill-bidding.html)

Edit: I believe first-time offenders are hit with a 30-day suspension. I don't know if there's any way to shorten it.

gangst
Mar 28, 2006, 04:15 PM
Shill Bidding (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-shill-bidding.html)

Yeah, my friend said he'd read that, but I was wondering if anyone had any personal experiences? And did they get their account back?

Thanks

WildCowboy
Mar 28, 2006, 04:19 PM
Here we go...found the applicable info (http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/shill.html#trouble). Yes, it's a 30-day suspension for first-time offenders. As long as that's the case, your friend's account will be reactivated after the suspension.

ssj300
Mar 28, 2006, 06:15 PM
Or if u dunt wanna bother with all the forms to fill out, just make a new account.

WildCowboy
Mar 28, 2006, 06:31 PM
Or if u dunt wanna bother with all the forms to fill out, just make a new account.

If you get caught doing that, you're banned...probably not worth the risk.

ravenvii
Mar 28, 2006, 06:35 PM
Heh, I've done this "shill bidding" with a friend a long time ago. Basically I'd bid on his item until my bid and the highest bidder's bid are equal (meaning he beat me, but one more notch from me and I'd beat him), and then I'll stop. It inflates the price. Evil, but it works :D

I don't do that anymore though.

CanadaRAM
Mar 28, 2006, 06:36 PM
Lifetime would be good. First offence, no appeal. Ban the IP address, phone number and charge card too.

I have had it up to here with eBay cheats, scammers, sellers misrepresenting their products, pirates selling burned copies of software, music, get rich quick instructions, get an iPod free instructions, etc.

WildCowboy
Mar 28, 2006, 06:38 PM
Heh, I've done this "shill bidding" with a friend a long time ago. Basically I'd bid on his item until my bid and the highest bidder's bid are equal (meaning he beat me, but one more notch from me and I'd beat him), and then I'll stop. It inflates the price. Evil, but it works :D

I don't do that anymore though.

Have you contacted the bidder whose final price you inflated and offered him a refund of the amount he overpaid?

ritolayen
Dec 9, 2006, 12:30 AM
Hi,

I don't really know what the policy is with this, so I thought I'd ask here.
If an eBay user is suspended for the first time for shill bidding do they get their account back after 7 days if they send a declaration? Anyone had this experience, because this has happened to a friend of mine and he is confused with whether he will or will not get his account back, this is the first time it has happened to him and he is a good user, except for this lapse.

Thanks for any help.

hey I saw your concern about "shill bidding", what happened to your friend afterward? did he get his account back? how long was the suspension?

thanks

rstorm
Dec 9, 2006, 06:27 AM
Banned for life is my opinion. It is frustrating to see this in action.

skunk
Dec 9, 2006, 06:46 AM
I have had it up to here with eBay cheats, scammers, sellers misrepresenting their products, pirates selling burned copies of software, music, get rich quick instructions, get an iPod free instructions, etc.I must say I've had nothing but good, straight deals on eBay, over 70 of them.

Ebay complainer
Jan 20, 2008, 10:26 AM
This is EBay's most serious problem. Buyers have no assurance that other bids are real.

I think it is impossible for Ebay to prove shill bidding since they don't know when two real people (but not using the same credit cards or SS#) are conspiring together.

Think about it. The entire auction process can be a sham for buyers. This is Ebay's achilles heel since there is no way to prove shill bids except to observe patterns over the long run of bidders working together. I believe this is why EBay now hides the bidder names from the view of other bidders.

If this gets out, and if buyers understand the problem, it will become clear that Ebay is only automating the process of finding out the maximum price buyers will pay for an item. -- End of Ebay.