Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
i just installed 128 ram in an iBook..Firewire SE 466mhz... and after restarting it it still sayd 64mb in the systems profiller. How do I get it to read the memory upgrade?

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
RAM problems...

It could be a variety of things.

1. Speed/Type/Size problem. Make sure it is the right type of RAM for the iBook. Macs need SDRAM. I'm pretty sure the speed of that model is PC 66. So make sure its that speed or above. Also, though I don't think this is a problem here, check to make sure you didn't exceed the maximum amount of RAM for your system.

2. Position problem. I don't think the iBook has this but some computers require certain sizes of RAM to be in certain slots. I think the iBook has one module soldered in to the first slot, so I think it allows any size of RAM in the other slot(s). Double check on this though.

3. Defective RAM. The RAM could be bad.

4. Clear PRAM. I'm not sure if parameter RAM stores any information about what RAM is installed on a machine (it keeps track of certain other devices...). Try erasing it with Command-Option-P-R at startup. Even if this doesn't work, it can't hurt to do.

Hope this helps.

Matthew

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
As dumb as this may sound, did you check to make sure they didn't give you the wrong RAM? It should have the number on a label somewhere on the chip.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
Jeeze I almost forgot...

I'm not sure if Apple ever "fixed" this...

Some manufacturers were making RAM that didn't fully conform to set standards for RAM. One of Apple's firmware upgrades disabled these RAM modules. I don't even remember what machines or RAm manufacturers this effected. Do a search for 'RAM' and 'disabled' or 'manufacturer' at the Apple Knowledge Base.

Matthew

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
What brand of memory did you get, and where did you buy it?? If the memory is not 222 spec I wouldn't accept it. Also, check to make sure that the memory is fully seated. Is there an odd noise when you power it up?? Something like extra reverb on the startup sound? Is the 128MB chip in addition to another chip, or is that the only one installed? If it is the only one installed, then they either sent you a mis-labeled chip, or it is a bad one. If this is in addition to a 64MB chip, then the new one is NFG. Contact the place you bought it for a return.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
Originally posted by krossfyter
Okay thanks to everyone for the help. I re seated the ram and it finnaly read it.

thanks again.

years back when I wasn't so familiar with parts I had to send my computer in for service when I thought the RAM was bad after attempting to install an upgrade....turns out I put it in backwards....ha ha ha....

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
ive always been amazed at how many hardware problems can be solved by checking your connections. i cant tell you how many times ive "fixed" someone's laptop by disconnecting the harddrive and reconnecting it (why do these things come loose so often?).

good to hear your ram is working out for you, kinda scary sometimes when you think you might have screwed something up.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Originally posted by eyelikeart

years back when I wasn't so familiar with parts I had to send my computer in for service when I thought the RAM was bad after attempting to install an upgrade....turns out I put it in backwards....ha ha ha....

:) dont you sometimes wish you could go back in time and impart some of your knowledge on old you? even if i was restricted to computer knowledge i woudl have so much to tell a me of just 4 years ago. but we cant do this o well, but i suppose this is why we have children.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.