PDA

View Full Version : iBook Question,HELP!!

Kalinatek
Apr 3, 2006, 04:56 AM
i want to buy my friend's iBook (G3) 500Mhz with 384 Ram , 10 GB HD , Combo,12 inch screen..etc

but i just wanted to know if this model supports the optional Airport Card (that costs 80$ in apple.com) or not because i will mostly use wireless internet.

my friend told me he doesnt know if it supports the airport card and he never used it for wireless internet.

thanks

weg
Apr 3, 2006, 06:06 AM
i want to buy my friend's iBook (G3) 500Mhz with 384 Ram , 10 GB HD , Combo,12 inch screen..etc

but i just wanted to know if this model supports the optional Airport Card (that costs 80$ in apple.com) or not because i will mostly use wireless internet.

my friend told me he doesnt know if it supports the airport card and he never used it for wireless internet.

thanks

As far as I know, Airport cards for the G3 iBook aren't available anymore from Apple (G3 ibooks don't work with the Extreme card). If you're lucky, you can get a used one somewhere...

jadekitty24
Apr 3, 2006, 06:10 AM
No, Apple doesn't even produce them anymore, I don't think. If you're looking for one I would suggest taking a look at MacRumors marketplace. Be warned, people are charging outrageous prices for them. I've seen them go for as much as $130!!

katie ta achoo
Apr 3, 2006, 06:26 AM
I have one. :)

To put it in, you lift up the keyboard, and there's a spot for it.

It definitely supports it.

Kalinatek
Apr 3, 2006, 05:20 PM
I have one. :)

To put it in, you lift up the keyboard, and there's a spot for it.

It definitely supports it.

what do u mean lift up the keyboard ? and do u have any picx?

thanks

stridey
Apr 3, 2006, 05:25 PM

thanks

There are two tabs on the keyboard, to the right of the "esc" and "F11" keys, respectively. Pull these tabs, then you can flip up the keyboard.

katie ta achoo
Apr 3, 2006, 05:30 PM
kinda like that (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/50.10.2.html)
and my airport thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=175008)
I'm flexible on price. *shrug*

thanks

Kalinatek
Apr 4, 2006, 10:34 AM
would an external USB wireless thingy work?? on the G3 iBook?

katie ta achoo
Apr 4, 2006, 10:45 AM
would an external USB wireless thingy work?? on the G3 iBook?

I used a DW122 for a while. NOT GOOD. It always dropped me and was generally not good, imho. Other people have had success with them. *shrug*

lonelemur90
Apr 4, 2006, 02:26 PM
warning: do not try to install an airport extreme card into a dual or single USB ibook G3. It WILL NOT FIT! The original airport cards can be purchased on ebay for sometimes even as little as 40 or 50 bucks.

p.s. to take off the keyboard, you have to unlock it by turning the small disk on the top (if it is not unlocked already) then pull down the tabs and lift it up. you can go to the apple support page for a step by step illustrated instruction.