PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth iPods Soon?

MacRumors
Apr 4, 2006, 06:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Stuff Magazine claims (http://www.stuffmag.co.uk/hotstuffarticle.asp?de_id=1504) that despite a quiet 30th anniversary weekend for Apple, they have been working hard on a long rumored Bluetooth iPod.

...it looks like the [Bluetooth iPod] is finally ready to appear in the Apple store, along with a deluge of accessories.

The accompanying accessories are said to include bluetooth headphones, and the ability to broadcast to your car speakers.

A bluetooth enabled iPod has been long rumored, with multiple hints over the years (patent image (http://www.macrumors.com/downloads/wirelessipod.jpg) describing an wireless iPod).

Steve Jobs, however, had previously stated (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/09/20050920172355.shtml) that Bluetooth in the iPod wasn't a great option since the sound quality wasn't great and constantly recharging headphones was cumbersome.

ModestPenguin
Apr 4, 2006, 06:59 PM
Thats nice....now give me one

Sean7512
Apr 4, 2006, 06:59 PM
Figures, I JUST bought a 30GB video iPod after the anniversy passed :(

Phat_Pat
Apr 4, 2006, 07:00 PM
nice

although it would be an option for sure... not something that is required

not everyone has access to bluetooth

Alone2Gether
Apr 4, 2006, 07:01 PM
Forget that...release the video iPod

iIra
Apr 4, 2006, 07:03 PM
or maybe even.... a bluetooth video iPod!!!!!!11!!!1!!1111one

amac4me
Apr 4, 2006, 07:04 PM
We all know what happens when Jobs denies a product. Case in point ... the Video capable iPod

stefan15
Apr 4, 2006, 07:05 PM
Are there any solidly confirmed health risks of bluetooth exposure? I assume it's not as bad as a cellphone but I could be wrong.

rye9
Apr 4, 2006, 07:05 PM
I don't see a great benefit with these though... I dont mind wired headphones.

DTphonehome
Apr 4, 2006, 07:07 PM
Speaking of a "quiet 30th Anniversary weekend", WTF is with Apple? Not even acknowledging it with a graphic on their website? I mean, seriously! Everyone in the media and in the computer biz is giving Apple major kudos on a huge anniversary, and Apple doesn't say boo? Seriously, WTF?

Vagcmyevad
Apr 4, 2006, 07:08 PM
We all know what happens when Jobs denies a product. Case in point ... the Video capable iPod
Just what I was thinking. If Jobs denies it, then Apple is almost always going to release it at a future date :cool: .

Sam*
Also someone could easilt steal the headphones stragiht off your heAD:eek:

spyderracer393
Figures, I JUST bought a 30GB video iPod after the anniversy passed :(

you do have the ability to return the iPod within 14 days, (supposing you bought it directly from Apple), althought I believe there is a restocking fee.

Spock
Apr 4, 2006, 07:10 PM

I agree, the wires are not bad at all, I think I would lose Wireless headphones anyway! This would be a bad move I think Steve has said in the past You cant take away a feature once its in place I dont like the idea

rye9
Apr 4, 2006, 07:10 PM
Also someone could easilt steal the headphones stragiht off your heAD:eek:

Excellent point... ppl steal iPods themselves... now you'd be paying $30 a month just to listen to the iPod.

macintel4me
Apr 4, 2006, 07:13 PM
I CAN NOT stand running with my iPod because wires are going all over the place and the arm band just scraps against my side. It's so bothersome that its rendered my iPod Shuffle useless. Give my a wireless nano (or nano-like) iPod that I can stick on my belt or even under that laces of my shoe and I'll be happy. I hope it will be better than this rumored product (http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1639) because it looks pretty darn good!

bigandy
Apr 4, 2006, 07:15 PM
i'll believe it when i see it :rolleyes:

hob
Apr 4, 2006, 07:17 PM
I hope bluetooth neckphones are available

for those of you that don't know they look a little something like this

http://store.aeromic.com.au/images/products/hp_bs813.jpg

except where there's a middle-aged woman, there would be me.
and where there's a cable there would be none!

I have some Panasonic ones that I keep re-buying when they eventually break, because they're so comfortable and portable, and non inner-ear intrusive!

strangelogic
Apr 4, 2006, 07:18 PM
I don't care - unless the bluetooth is embedded in the video iPod. though I think the video iPod discussion is beginning to sound a bit like the G5 Powerbook discussion.
I had hoped for something new today - from Apple - as I wanted to buy myself a birthday gift...
Guess it is time for the new Alpine dual-din head unit for my car... oh wait - that isn't out yet either :mad:

boncellis
Apr 4, 2006, 07:21 PM
I don't see myself ever using wireless headphones, but including bluetooth functionality within the iPod is something I have been looking forward to. I would really like the wireless integration with car kits and the wireless syncing (Apple has made it a point to make bluetooth standard in more of its machines).

The other thing that makes me wonder about this "news" is that it's from "Stuff" which could mean that it's completely false, or that it's more reliable because of the distance between them and the Apple community.

freeny
Apr 4, 2006, 07:22 PM
Blue tooth... yawn.

Wheres the full screen???

Philberttheduck
Apr 4, 2006, 07:26 PM
I don't care - unless the bluetooth is embedded in the video iPod.

as long as its together (or released together), i wouldn't mind. however, i'm more concerned with a video ipod, period. as long as the video ipod is released, i could really care less if it had bluetooth integrated.

bluetooth sounds appealing, but like all you guys have stated, a wire isn't so bad. especially with top-notch headphones in shure and etymotics.

m-dogg
Apr 4, 2006, 07:27 PM
Unless they make it sound considerably better than my bluetooth handsfree unit for my cell, I'm not interested.

ezekielrage_99
Apr 4, 2006, 07:30 PM
Are there any solidly confirmed health risks of bluetooth exposure? I assume it's not as bad as a cellphone but I could be wrong.

So BlueTooth headphones give you brain cancer?

I can just see the iPod ad for that one ;)

MacRumoron
Apr 4, 2006, 07:31 PM
i definately want a bluetooth ipod... i dont really care about video i just want the music :)

thejadedmonkey
Apr 4, 2006, 07:32 PM
I just want to know how much I should start saving up for my new iBook for college!

rdbishop
Apr 4, 2006, 07:33 PM

I agree. For those of us who actually care about sound quality, wired headphones are the only way (I own the Shure e5's myself and they make all the time I spend on the subway a lot easier). Not only are there sound quality issues arising from bandwidth limitations of Bluetooth technology itself, but there are no Bluetooth headphones with high quality drivers available anyway.

For transferring music Bluetooth is far too slow. For playback through a car stereo system it would require the use of a receiver to plug into the stereo (unless you have a Tomtom 700, but the speaker in there isn’t meant for music playback), which doesn't seem any easier than buying a transmitter for the iPod (although Aux input is still the best for those lucky enough to have it on their car stereos).

I use Bluetooth frequently with my phone and it is not the most reliable technology. It is most useful for mono headsets, small data transfers (contact syncing, not 10GB of music), and for wireless mice, keyboards, etc

tny
Apr 4, 2006, 07:34 PM

There aren't any *solidly confirmed* health risks for cell phone exposure, let alone bluetooth use. There are only a handful of studies that suggest that even low levels of non-ionizing RF may, if they are focused in a small area (i.e., by a cell phone antenna), cause biological effects. The jury is still out.

That said, the bluetooth signal is weaker than the cellphone signal, so I would assume there is less risk (whatever the actual level of risk is).

rye9
Apr 4, 2006, 07:34 PM
I noticed the article mentioned downloading or something from other BT iPods, isnt that just getting free music?

steve_hill4
Apr 4, 2006, 07:35 PM
I like the sound of the full screen iPod Av coming soon with Bluetooth built in. Perhaps even Airport Express AV with video out which will not only allow streaming of content from your Airport enabled Mac, but through Bluetooth from your iPod. Nah, that would be too slow.

Still, I would like an Airport Express with video out and Bluetooth Mighty Mouse to be announced soon. Both top of my buy lists for the time being.

ModernGeek
Speaking of a "quiet 30th Anniversary weekend", WTF is with Apple? Not even acknowledging it with a graphic on their website? I mean, seriously! Everyone in the media and in the computer biz is giving Apple major kudos on a huge anniversary, and Apple doesn't say boo? Seriously, WTF?

This reminds me of when everybody was cheering on Julius Caesar, and he just sat there and didn't stand out of disrespect.

tny
I just want to know how much I should start saving up for my new iBook for college!

Assume that the base model will be between US$999 and $1299, with the higher level model (if there is one) at $1299 to $1499.

macintel4me
Apr 4, 2006, 07:38 PM
I noticed the article mentioned downloading or something from other BT iPods, isnt that just getting free music?
Or play the song for 5 times before you have to pay or something like that at least. I think that would be really useful...and tie you even more into the whole iPod ecosystem.

xUKHCx
Apr 4, 2006, 07:39 PM
Wireless syncing??

been discussed to death. Maybe good to update the song counts and ratings but to transfer songs it would be painful (i find it painful to update via usb 2.0) and a waste of battery, if it is near enough to the computer to sync via bluetooth just plug the thing in.

wireless headphones just another thing to forget to charge. I often forget to charge the ipod but it usually just hangs in there to and from uni but i would get so pissed off with wireless headphones. Adds to the costs and reduces the sound quality, great

Bluetoothing from other ipods

this would be to sample the music and get a taste. But why dont you just talk to the person. case in point:

oh what you listening to

just alexisonfire -accidents pretty tight canadian band

oh really never heard.

hear check them out they are pretty cool.

rye9
Apr 4, 2006, 07:41 PM
We've had video iPod rumors for months and still none.. lets not get caught up ina BT iPod now. I still think the current one (5G) is perfect... all it needs is a better battery and maybe built in radio... I thinking watching videos on a small screen is ridiculous... forget the true video iPod... its just gonna strain your eyes... besides I dont know too many people who would be able to stare at a screen for as long as people listen to music with a normal iPod.

Shaker
Apr 4, 2006, 07:41 PM
Bluetooth picture frames from Apple???

When they said Apple would make a move for your living room, I didn't think they meant this...:p

pianodude123
Apr 4, 2006, 07:42 PM
SO does this mean no huge screen?

Max on Macs
Apr 4, 2006, 07:42 PM
Why all the comments about "after the anniversary" "quiet anniversary" I think those who follow Apple closely were all expecting the announcements to come closer to the 30th an to the 1st.

evilgEEk
Apr 4, 2006, 07:43 PM
...despite a quiet 30th anniversary weekend for Apple, they have been working hard on a long rumored Bluetooth iPod.
I don't buy it. In my experience bluetooth hasn't been that great for audio streaming. Maybe I have just had some bad experiences though. :rolleyes:

zap2
Apr 4, 2006, 07:49 PM
Would be cool, and BT headphones would ROCK if they had the same quilty sound as the current ones(Which is not to great!) and NO BIGGER headphones

nimbus
Apr 4, 2006, 07:53 PM
Would be cool, and BT headphones would ROCK if they had the same quilty sound as the current ones(Which is not to great!) and NO BIGGER headphones

BT headphones would suck.
Not only will you have to always be charging the damn thing, you can lose them. I like the wired headphone because I can wrap it around my iPod. Now, I'll have to make sure I don't lose it.

Give me a REAL video iPod, with Bluetooth mainly for updating songs. I don't care about BT headphones unless they do it very very well.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

yac_moda
Apr 4, 2006, 07:55 PM
Jobs said THAT before you could get Tritium hearing aid batteries that stay charged for 12 to 20 years :eek: :eek: :eek:

¡¡¡ ALL FORMS OF POWER STEM FROM TRITIUM !!!

ccrandall77
Apr 4, 2006, 07:57 PM
Despite the criticism of bluetooth in terms of sound quality and syncing, I think there are 3 very useful applications for bluetooth in the iPod.

First, most of us aren't audiophiles and there are certain situations where even the best set of headphones would be overkill. One of those places is the gym. Even with headphones on, there's interference from all the noise in the gym, so even if sound quality isn't great, average sound quality would be good enough and well worth not having wires getting in the way all the time.

Second, bluetooth would be useful for remote applications whether it be to control FrontRow or as an Airport Express remote. I use Salling Clicker with my Treo and it's great for controlling apps on my Mini that's hooked up to my LCD TV.

Third, if Apple does come out with a touchscreen video iPod and at a minimum opens up the platform for developers, Bluetooth would be a great way to get internet connectivity to the iPod. If I recall correctly, EVDO has transmissions speeds of about 500-700Kbps and Bluetooth is somewhere around 730Kbps. My Sprint EVDO service is awesome! I'd love to be able to establish an internet connection through my phone to do light web browsing, run Dashboard widgets, send SMS text messages, etc.

I've always felt if Sony had opened up the PSP for more third party development and provided information to allow the construction of keyboards and other peripherals, the PSP I think would dominate over the DS. I think Apple would be extremely smart to encourage people to write apps for the iPod and I would hope they'd think about providing an SDK that works with XCode. I'd also like to see them clean up the PIM apps that are already on the iPod and add mobile versions of Safari, Mail, and Dashboard. I think the hardware on the iPod is more than powerful enough to run applications such as these.

shigzeo
Apr 4, 2006, 07:58 PM
I agree. For those of us who actually care about sound quality, wired headphones are the only way (I own the Shure e5's myself and they make all the time I spend on the subway a lot easier).

True. However, some people 'actually care about sound quality' still might not be too miffed with a bluetooth set for portability. It is not as if those shure's will sound that good without an amp anyway, especially though they are sealed, on the underground. It is not as if i really care about quality at the same way at home with my dt-880 coming from all optical connections high-end headphone amp etc, but have no idea how to tell simbiliance from dissonance. People can care even if they do not listen to music through headphones that cost 30% more than others that have similar quality (westone).

For transferring music Bluetooth is far too slow. For playback through a car stereo system it would require the use of a receiver to plug into the stereo (unless you have a Tomtom 700, but the speaker in there isn’t meant for music playback), which doesn't seem any easier than buying a transmitter for the iPod (although Aux input is still the best for those lucky enough to have it on their car stereos).

isn't technology just a bummer? i can't get over all these advances either. it is such a waste, i think i will just wank all over new items that come out because... it is what to do, but i will listen to dedicated wired ipod with shure headphones while doing it.

I use Bluetooth frequently with my phone and it is not the most reliable technology. It is most useful for mono headsets, small data transfers (contact syncing, not 10GB of music), and for wireless mice, keyboards, etc

i am surprised it is that useful from reading the rest of your thesis here.

jbernie
Apr 4, 2006, 08:00 PM
although it would be an option for sure... not something that is required
not everyone has access to bluetooth

So? that means 10 million will be sold to people who cant use the bluetooth option but make a point of saying they have a blue tooth ipod.

Its all about the fashion not the practicality.

Stridder44
Apr 4, 2006, 08:00 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)
Steve Jobs, however, had previously stated (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/09/20050920172355.shtml) that Bluetooth in the iPod wasn't a great option...

Yeah yeah and a video iPod will never exist, blah blah blah...

But really though, I wonder if BlueTooth to car speakers could become a real option for cars without BlueTooth preinstalled in it already, which is...oh, say just about every car. Some form of adaptor? If it could become an easy, cheap option, that would be unbelievably happy!! FM transmitters suck !@#$%!@ (currently using a tape adapter)

jicon
Apr 4, 2006, 08:02 PM
Steve Jobs, however, had previously stated (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/09/20050920172355.shtml) that Bluetooth in the iPod wasn't a great option since the sound quality wasn't great and constantly recharging headphones was cumbersome.

Ummm, maybe its just me, but when did Apple become concerned about sound quality... let alone video or manufacturing quality?

128 kbps audio, 320x240 crippled video, and enough first gen hardware nightmares to keep the experienced at bay till revision B.

I thought the order of operations at Apple went:

Profitability
Look
Simplicity

With a number of Macs now shipping with BlueTooth 2.0, and improved battery life, I'd almost say it was a given that the iPod be given a wireless look. Dunno if the functionality will be there, but damn, it will look nice.

Apmonia
Apr 4, 2006, 08:04 PM
While I agree that a bluetooth iPod would be pointless, did anyone notice where the article came from? I really don't go to Stuff for their tech news. :)

Apmonia

McScooby
Apr 4, 2006, 08:05 PM
Personally I'm in the market for any type of update, some B****** nicked my fully loaded 3G 40Gb pod at the weekend (I'm not too happy to say the least) but checking ebay seems it wasn't worth that much!

I don't know how crazy it would be sharing music via BT considering the millions of ipods about with their milions of lists (how would you know whose music you are sharing aside from the playlist name?) and security wise BT jacking, would that just be a security nightmare waiting to happen - not so much for music for for personal data stored on disk?

myshoeshurt
Apr 4, 2006, 08:12 PM
AAAACK!!!
I JUST bought a brand new Nano and Logitech's bluetooth headphones. We'll see. Maybe it will be worth it.

xUKHCx
Apr 4, 2006, 08:14 PM
True. However, some people 'actually care about sound quality' still might not be too miffed with a bluetooth set for portability. It is not as if those shure's will sound that good without an amp anyway, especially though they are sealed, on the underground. It is not as if i really care about quality at the same way at home with my dt-880 coming from all optical connections high-end headphone amp etc, but have no idea how to tell simbiliance from dissonance.

head-fi.:) :)

ive got the 880's such a good set of 'phones. Dont quite have the money for all optical rig. but that is the next step up for after the summer job,

or the mac tablet with sensing pixels a4 sized so i can easily scan documents and work on them during lectures and such the like.

Anyway back to the point, the bluetooth headphones would have actually saved me the other day. Being completly bored working on my Hysys work i spun around on my chair, compelety ripped the cables out of my koss 75s. Such a shame, good job i have a soldering iron.

ccrandall77
Apr 4, 2006, 08:16 PM
Just saw it on digg.com. Supposed to come in 50 and 100GB flavors, bluetooth, 30hr music playback, 15hr video playback. Doubt it's true, though.

DTphonehome
Apr 4, 2006, 08:25 PM
Just saw it on digg.com. Supposed to come in 50 and 100GB flavors, bluetooth, 30hr music playback, 15hr video playback. Doubt it's true, though.

Yeah, I don't know about that. Especially since there aren't 1.8" drives at 100 GB. And a battery at those ratings would have to be much bigger, especially with a bigger screen and wireless audio. So unless they switch to a bigger enclosure to house a huge battery and a standard 2.5" laptop drive, this rumor is bogus.

Ayre
Apr 4, 2006, 08:25 PM
Brilliant. Just as I bought an iPod.

muffinman
Apr 4, 2006, 08:26 PM
now i can sync w/ my TG-50 sony clie!

ccrandall77
Apr 4, 2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I don't know about that. Especially since there aren't 1.8" drives at 100 GB. And a battery at those ratings would have to be much bigger, especially with a bigger screen and wireless audio. So unless they switch to a bigger enclosure to house a huge battery and a standard 2.5" laptop drive, this rumor is bogus.

Well then someone claiming to know the person who posted those specs basically called him a bullsh*tter and said it won't be released til June with 40 and 80GB flavors and 4hr video playback and 15hr audio playback. That sounds more realistic to me.

macintel4me
Apr 4, 2006, 08:27 PM
AAAACK!!!
I JUST bought a brand new Nano and Logitech's bluetooth headphones. We'll see. Maybe it will be worth it.
I thought the Logitech headphones only worked with the Mini and not the Nano??

YoNeX
Apr 4, 2006, 08:28 PM
The new Ipod will be released tommorow April 5th. I cannot release my true identity but i can tell you that im affiliated with Apples website. I have peronally seen the ipod and have done work on the webpage introducing the new ipod. The ipod will have a 3.5 inch display starting at 50GB and going up to 100GB. It will also feature bluetooth technology. The battery on the ipod will playback up to 30 hours of music. And 15 hours of video. This is all i can tell you but rest assure that you will know tommorow.

And the response...

I work with Hashmir. Although he did work for Apple on the website, and he did infact set up the page for the new iPod, the new iPod will be released sometime in June, and content revisions will be added to the web page of the new iPod, since June is a long ways from now. Anyway, face the reality... a new iPod with no press release? Also, Hashmir is making numbers up in his head. It will feature bluetooth, but it will feature 4 hours of video playback, not 15, and there will only be 15 hours of music playback. There will be two sized hard drives, 40GB and 80GB. Eveything else Hashmir said is true, though.

Source: ThinkSecret (http://www.thinksecret.com/comments/0602videoipod.shtml) (Currently getting hit pretty hard by Digg)

neutrino23
Apr 4, 2006, 08:29 PM
I come home from work on a Tuesday after Apple's 30th birthday, the day after they release an OS X update and all we get is a rumor about bluetooth enabled iPods? That is worse than slim pickins. Sigh. I need a drink.

Where is the 17" MacBook Pro? (With the built in sub-space internet connection.)

ipacmm
Apr 4, 2006, 08:31 PM
til June with 40 and 80GB flavors and 4hr video playback and 15hr audio playback. That sounds more realistic to me.

I agree, that is a more realistic number but it would be really nice to see 100GB iPods...I know I will need to buy one.

marcobugarin
Apr 4, 2006, 08:38 PM
My ipod was stolen a week ago and i being waiting to buy a new one but i would hate to buy one now and two weeks later the new one shows up. I think i will wait, but apple sometimes really gets me.
just my 2 cents:confused :confused: :)

direzz
Apr 4, 2006, 08:38 PM

you kno what, i EFFING second that.

this is so bizzare and im really mad at apple for this.

how can they be so cruel and selfish?

MacMosher
Apr 4, 2006, 08:44 PM
Good for the on board broadcast to car speakers... dont really care about ear phones. All though they may be cool think about it. If you had earbuds(not saying this is possible, probably isnt) you would lose them in about 30 seconds flat. Plus quality would be rather poor I would thinkg and they would have to be powered by somthing

sisyphus
Apr 4, 2006, 08:48 PM
It is obvious!

This is the rumored 5x7 touch screen video iPod (aka iPad) that uses bluetooth to control your PVR enabled blue-ray mini. (I think that is an amalgamation of enough rumors into a single sentence) :rolleyes: :D

DTphonehome
Apr 4, 2006, 08:52 PM
It is obvious!

This is the rumored 5x7 touch screen video iPod (aka iPad) that uses bluetooth to control your PVR enabled blue-ray mini. (I think that is an amalgamation of enough rumors into a single sentence) :rolleyes: :D

And it docks with your PowerBook G5!!

ddrueckhammer
Apr 4, 2006, 08:54 PM
Yeah yeah and a video iPod will never exist, blah blah blah...

But really though, I wonder if BlueTooth to car speakers could become a real option for cars without BlueTooth preinstalled in it already, which is...oh, say just about every car. Some form of adaptor? If it could become an easy, cheap option, that would be unbelievably happy!! FM transmitters suck !@#$%!@ (currently using a tape adapter)

My girlfriend has a Denison icelink in her car which while ok still isn't as elegant as a wireless solution.

It looks like bluetooth wireless playback in the car is already available check out this link from Crutchfield's Digital Drive-Thru site:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-adzgQeqQxKb/cgi-bin/tools/DigitalDriveThru/Solution.asp?tab=6#TabTop

It looks like the Scosche IPBCK Bluetooth system can interface with an iPod using bluetooth and connects to your car stereo using aux-in or with a USA SPEC Auxiliary Interface which changes a CD changer port on the back of the head unit into an aux in...

Personally, I think that bluetooth is useless for:

1. Wireless Headphones-This is just something to lose, and more batteries to buy or worse another device to charge...
2. Wireless Synching- Is it really that hard to dig out a cable to synch with? Also, the speed will be too slow for my large library...

CD players have been in cars for over ten years. If auto manufacturers start putting bluetooth in their new cars which can interface with an iPod, I think this is the next killer app and many people will want it. However, this is very dependent on the sound quality that bluetooth can deliver.

easy4lif
Apr 4, 2006, 08:56 PM
Id Rather have a full screen ipod. ONLY that ipod will be the sucessor to my iPod photo

Electro Funk
Apr 4, 2006, 09:03 PM
I agree, that is a more realistic number but it would be really nice to see 100GB iPods...I know I will need to buy one.

No Doubt... My 60 gig is almost full...

Would love to add a 100gig iPod to my lineup!

MacGuy88
Apr 4, 2006, 09:07 PM

I agree. I have a Bluetooth capable phone and use the wireless headset on occasion and I can only squeeze a few hours out of them, not to mention a HUGE size difference. I mean, I think what makes the iPod earbuds so popular is their size. Everywhere you go you can see people with tiny white dots in their ears. I doubt you can squeeze Bluetooth Technology into one of those puppies.

Not to mention it would look like a hearing aid.

But i wouldnt mind a new iPod...

thegreatunknown
Apr 4, 2006, 09:08 PM
wake up in the morning, take a seat at the kitchen table with my cheerios. I remember I didn't sync my new album off of iTunes with my ipod. still munching on my cheerios I click a button. ...<<<<>>>>... done munching I put on my wireless headphones, hit random play button, stuff the ipod into my bag. head to the metro.

I get to work, set my bag down, still listening, start the day. that annoying guy in the cubicle next to me wants to listen. ...<<<<>>>... synced up, now we both listen. day ends, I go home on the metro.

remembering I need to go the store I grab the ipod (from where I put it this morning!) and hop into the car ...<<<>>>... I'm now jamming to the new album I bought.

get home, take a seat on the couch, want to finish that new album. ...<<<>>>... connected to my stereo, its loud and clear now.

want to watch that crappy lost episode from last night. ...<<<>>>... (haven't left the couch its playing on the tv now).

ok so I'm bored. anyway here:
http://www.wimedia.org/en/index.asp

macintel4me
Apr 4, 2006, 09:14 PM
My car already has an Audio Aux In for my iPod. I'm hoping with Bluetooth I can then see my playlists on my Nav screen and control the iPod through my steering wheel buttons (just like I can do now with an MP3 CD). I would think the only thing Bluetooth would be used for is the controls and display and playback would go throught the same Audio Aux In port as it does now.

nagromme
Apr 4, 2006, 09:15 PM
Every rumor of wireless iPods seems to think "wireless" means something different.

Is it a Bluetooth iPod with bulkier headphones that require charging and can't be used on airplanes?

Is it an Internet-enabled iPod allowing you to shop on iTunes with a stripped-down search interface and no keyboard to enter queries?

Is it way to synch your iPod while still allowing the battery to drain, unlike the current method that charges and synchs in one?

Is it a bulkier, more power-hungry iPod that broadcasts to external speakers, like you can already get in an add-on that removes when you don't need it?

Is it to keep your mobile phone and iPod contacts in synch without waiting for the next re-charge, which would synch them anyway via your computer? (Useful even though people seldom add/change contacts on their phone and then suddenly discard their phone and run off with their iPod before the next synch.)

Is it a CB radio?

I haven't yet heard of a reason to make iPods wireless that would provide an experience good enough to meet Apple's typical standards. I'm thinking that if a wireless iPod appears, it won't be for any of the above reasons, but for some entirely other purpose.

Or, as an add-on, so it doesn't detract from the iPod itself.

aswitcher
Apr 4, 2006, 09:21 PM
For the right price I'll buy one...

kwajo.com
Apr 4, 2006, 09:26 PM
I can't believe no one has really mentioned it, but since when is Stuff a great source? I mean come on, their magazine is terrible and yet we're using it to base a rumor on? why isn't it reflected by a more reputable source? seems bogus to me

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 4, 2006, 09:28 PM
The accompanying accessories are said to include bluetooth headphones, and the ability to broadcast to your car speakers.
I sure hope the "accompanying accessories" include a 13" widescreen Intel Macbook!

Stridder44
Apr 4, 2006, 09:42 PM
My girlfriend has a Denison icelink in her car which while ok still isn't as elegant as a wireless solution.

It looks like bluetooth wireless playback in the car is already available check out this link from Crutchfield's Digital Drive-Thru site:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-adzgQeqQxKb/cgi-bin/tools/DigitalDriveThru/Solution.asp?tab=6#TabTop

It looks like the Scosche IPBCK Bluetooth system can interface with an iPod using bluetooth and connects to your car stereo using aux-in or with a USA SPEC Auxiliary Interface which changes a CD changer port on the back of the head unit into an aux in...

Personally, I think that bluetooth is useless for:

1. Wireless Headphones-This is just something to lose, and more batteries to buy or worse another device to charge...
2. Wireless Synching- Is it really that hard to dig out a cable to synch with? Also, the speed will be too slow for my large library...

CD players have been in cars for over ten years. If auto manufacturers start putting bluetooth in their new cars which can interface with an iPod, I think this is the next killer app and many people will want it. However, this is very dependent on the sound quality that bluetooth can deliver.

Holy #$%!^. Thank you so much! I went on to their 'What fits my car" section and got just what I needed! Many thanks!! Now maybe that new VW GTI I just bought will be even more "pimpin'"!

timon
Apr 4, 2006, 09:43 PM
For the iPod user that want a lots of tunes plus his cell phone bluetooth would be great.

Apple just needs to add a mic to the earbuds and present a bluetooth headset profile to the phone.

You listen to your tunes then when a call comes in the iPod mutes when you press the button on the earbuds. When you end the call the tunes starts back up.

Nice thing about doing it this way is that you can use it with any carrier where an iTunes phone only works with one carrier.

In addition the iPod could connect to the Internet using the modem profile. With a connection to .Mac you could sync information with your Mac when your on the road.

rockthecasbah
Apr 4, 2006, 10:12 PM
I am very interested in built-in wireless for cars. That will not necessarily be THE must have feature, but it's definitely up there. Not only is in cool and convenient, but it's safer with less wires for drivers. :)

BT headphones are a waste, and i highly doubt Apple would use that technology in headphones. If it ain't broke, don't fix it right? People like wired headphones and not needing to charge them or replace batteries, so why make things more expensive and more of a hassle?

In terms of the syncing, it was mentioned before about how difficult is it to break out a cable. While i agree with this philosophy for syncing to a computer, what about syncing to a stereo? I mean it's the same function basically as to a car. What if now you didn't need a wire to connect your iPod to a stereo system, but maybe just a little adapter to go in the stereo. Your iPod is now transformed into a remote control of sorts. You can change the volume, songs, whatever from your hand and have the data transfer to the stereo say 20 feet away. That would be worth upgrading to.

ddrueckhammer
Apr 4, 2006, 10:14 PM
Holy #$%!^. Thank you so much! I went on to their 'What fits my car" section and got just what I needed! Many thanks!! Now maybe that new VW GTI I just bought will be even more "pimpin'"!

If you get the bluetooth interface please let me know how it works. I might be interested if the music sounds good. Minimally you can get that aux-in box and put it in your glovebox...

Also, I think Crutchfield should return it no problem if it doesn't work for you...

dontmatter
Apr 4, 2006, 10:16 PM
about bluetooth-

Jobs is right about it for headphones. for earbuds: where's the battery, how do you not lose them? and big headphones.... they're already way bigger than an ipod (and hence not that popluar for use with an ipod) so wires aren't as big a deal. Then you've got batteries hanging on your head, and also, with headphones that big, there are already bluetooth add ons that don't add much size to the ipod.

But the car market-that makes more sense. Better than an FM thingy by far, very elegant, and everybody knows how awful wires are in a crowded car from when we used CDs and the tape deck thing and a cd charger. only two problems: 1) cars dont' have bluetooth 2)bluetooth is a standard not controled by apple. Read: not closed system. your nifty steering wheel control on your new beamer suddenly just needs new software to work with other players, and hence other music stores, and hence....

qtip919
Apr 4, 2006, 10:24 PM
Bluetooth...

I would take a tiny little bluetooth remote that could:

1. Change tracks/adjust volume/etc
2. Tune in radio stations

Other than this...useless

~Shard~
Apr 4, 2006, 10:34 PM
Meh, still not cool enough to make me want to ditch my 3G 20GB iPod just yet. Give me a full screen, true video iPod with higher res and I might think about it.

And furthermore, does bluetooth come in any other colors? :confused: :cool:

skwert
Apr 4, 2006, 10:37 PM
Bluetooth...

I would take a tiny little bluetooth remote that could:

1. Change tracks/adjust volume/etc
2. Tune in radio stations

Other than this...useless

i agree with you that the remote would be very hot, and i think that's a really cool feature that some have looked past. it's a remote dock...w/out the dock.

h/o, i disagree, and would say that the in car bluetooth would be really sexy. fm sucks, cables are cumbersome...bluetooth w/ good bandwidth would be awesome.

stefan15
Apr 4, 2006, 10:43 PM
There aren't any *solidly confirmed* health risks for cell phone exposure, let alone bluetooth use. There are only a handful of studies that suggest that even low levels of non-ionizing RF may, if they are focused in a small area (i.e., by a cell phone antenna), cause biological effects. The jury is still out.

That said, the bluetooth signal is weaker than the cellphone signal, so I would assume there is less risk (whatever the actual level of risk is).

Cool thanks for the info! Good to know.

MattyMac
Apr 4, 2006, 10:55 PM
ahh who cares...nothing big, I suppose I can do without it until the true video iPod is released. But my mother still needs that new macbook!

lanray
Apr 4, 2006, 11:23 PM
Just a thought, perhaps a dumb one, but what about using 802.11g technology for the iPods? Fast, etc, could connect to web...

ddcrandall
Apr 4, 2006, 11:26 PM
You guys are all missing the point. They're not going to exclusively offer bluetooth headphones. They're going to still have a headphone port. If they only allowed bluetooth headphones, people would be in an uproar, like you.

This is the single product I want them to release. I have cash to burn and want an iMac, but I don't have that much. This would be perfect.

pavetheforest
Apr 4, 2006, 11:43 PM
You guys are all missing the point. They're not going to exclusively offer bluetooth headphones. They're going to still have a headphone port. If they only allowed bluetooth headphones, people would be in an uproar, like you.

This is the single product I want them to release. I have cash to burn and want an iMac, but I don't have that much. This would be perfect.

NONONONO the new iBook (macBook) would be perfect, save your money kid, get that iMac.................bluetooth, whatever......

the video iPod - now that is something to talk about, but this bluetooth stuff isnt worthwhile news, to me anyway.......the new iBook is where apple should be looking, the current ones are paper weights

dejo
Apr 4, 2006, 11:54 PM

The iPod with video is not a "dedicated video playback device". Therefore it's release did not nullify his previous statement.

Jobs discussed video on handheld devices - such as a Video iPod. He admits that you can download videos from iTunes as well as Video Podcasts, but is uncertain if people will buy a dedicated video playback device. "So far they haven't. No one has been successful with that yet."

And even if they did, he said no one has been successful with it yet. Doesn't mean that Apple couldn't release one and be successful with it in the future.

DCapple
Apr 5, 2006, 12:02 AM
this will be a very cool iPod!!!!! cant wait for it....:) :) :)

avensis087
Apr 5, 2006, 12:28 AM
I, for one, am very excited about the possibility (and eventual inevitability) of bluetooth technology in upcoming iPod models. I think Apple would only release bluetooth headphones if the quality was there. As seen with the release of the Hi-Fi, they're keeping audiophiles in mind. Rock on Apple, let's see what you've got for us!!

mr

Stridder44
Apr 5, 2006, 12:31 AM
Just a thought, perhaps a dumb one, but what about using 802.11g technology for the iPods? Fast, etc, could connect to web...

Good point...any takers? I wonder how easy it would be to fit it into an iPod...

kugino
Apr 5, 2006, 12:44 AM
stuff magazine? what the heck do they know about upcoming apple products? :confused:

i doubt there'll be a BT ipod...unless apple's found a way to make them sound half-decent. all the ones i've heard so far are AWFUL.

redAPPLE
Apr 5, 2006, 01:45 AM
I agree, the wires are not bad at all, I think I would lose Wireless headphones anyway! This would be a bad move I think Steve has said in the past You cant take away a feature once its in place I dont like the idea

iPod firewire synching?

firewire800 from the PowerBook? (and don't give me, because it is not called the PowerBook no more)

chasemac
Apr 5, 2006, 02:21 AM
Just announce something please.:rolleyes:

I've been waiting since the 1st!!!!!

iMeowbot
Apr 5, 2006, 02:37 AM
The guts of a shuffle would just about fit into the form factor of those Bluetooth headsets, without the transmission quality issues or a separate iPod to carry around.

mackeeper
Apr 5, 2006, 02:40 AM
Whatever....just show us something.

I've been pretty pissed off at apple for not doing anything for their 30th and not even making a public announcement. They didn't even post up something on their website. How pathetic.

chasemac
Apr 5, 2006, 02:44 AM
"There will be no Apple served until it's time.";)

builtLordtough@
Apr 5, 2006, 02:44 AM
The guts of a shuffle would just about fit into the form factor of those Bluetooth headsets, without the transmission quality issues or a separate iPod to carry around.

they could expand this idea so much.

imagine good quality bluetooth studio headphones with a shuffle inside of it.

and then a "powerglove" like control system for you. that would be cool.

Marx55
Apr 5, 2006, 02:52 AM
This is the ultimate presentation tool:

1 - Make presentation on Mac or PC with Keynote or PowerPoint.

2 - Save it to the wireless iPod.

3 - Carry the wireless iPod to the presentation tool, boot Mac OS X from it and use it as a wireless remote to perform the videopresentation using a wireless videoprojector.

No cables involved. No computer involved.

Apple will sell millions of these to the corporate, education and domestic markets. The halo effect will be tremendous for the Mac market share!

chasemac
Apr 5, 2006, 02:52 AM
they could expand this idea so much.

imagine good quality bluetooth studio headphones with a shuffle inside of it.

and then a "powerglove" like control system for you. that would be cool.

Bluetooth is a start but what about the touch screen with video?:rolleyes:

yankeedoodle
Apr 5, 2006, 03:22 AM
BT headphones are a waste, and i highly doubt Apple would use that technology in headphones. If it ain't broke, don't fix it right? People like wired headphones and not needing to charge them or replace batteries, so why make things more expensive and more of a hassle?

Nope. I do hate those wired earphones, with wires always getting clogged in my pocket. I find myself clearing a huge earphone wire mess all the time... If those BT headphones are not too expensive, I will buy them.

WeeManDan
Apr 5, 2006, 03:34 AM
The only use I can see would be as some sort of remote. Bluetooth quality isn't there for streaming music to headphones, also imagine all the extra battery you would need to power it, at both ends. Bluetoothing a Gig of music is just to slow, one or two maybe ok but then if the wire is there surely you would go for speed what I was thinking though was bluetooth control of FR and AE that would be so useful but then for Airport I'm guessing Wi-Fi would be a much better option.

Another quick thought, but if we are all using BT in our cars, wont we get interference in traffic? Nope I'm an idiot answered my own question, because it will be paired like a headset, my bad! For the record I have an KCA-420i which does the job just great.

Derwood
Apr 5, 2006, 04:20 AM
...are you beginning to feel a smidge agrieved at the amount of activity coming from the iPod division. It seems like I only got my 5th gen one last week. How quickly can they release revisions? Maybe I'm getting old but the pace of change is knackering me out. I now fully expect to see 8th gen iPods before 7th gen ones. :p

Bluetooth's gonna be pony for audio. Surely?

hrmpf
Apr 5, 2006, 04:22 AM
Apple is thinking bigger than wireless headphones

http://static.flickr.com/38/86421241_e27a864217_o.gif (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hrmpf/86421241/)

they may not use bluetooth though (The means of communication are not very specific and don’t really rule out much: “FM, RF, Bluetooth, 802.11, UWB, IR and magnetic links”)... Here’s an excerpt from the Apple wireless iPod patent application that tells the story of the first, second, third and forth skier and their personal transmitting station:

[0115] In this particular illustration, a first skier 506 holds the personal transmitting station 500 while second, third and fourth skiers 508, 510 and 512 each hold personal tuning devices 502… The first skier 506 is located on a first hill 514, the second and third skiers 508 and 510 are located on a ski lift 516, and the fourth skier 502 is skiing down a second hill 518. As should be appreciated, all of these locations are within the broadcasting or networking range of the personal transmitting station 500.
[0116] The personal transmitting station 500 is configured to send a music signal to the personal tuning devices 502 held by the second, third and fourth skiers 508, 510 and 512 and the personal tuning devices 502 are configured to receive the music signal sent from the personal transmitting station 500. The first skier 506 can therefore effect changes to what is being listened to by the second, third and fourth skiers 508, 510 and 512 by simply selecting a different song to be played on the personal transmitting station 500 (even though he is in a different location than the rest of the skiers). For example, the first skier 506 may end a first song and select a second song to be played therefore causing the personal transmitting station 500 to send the second song to the personal tuning devices 502.

cool... but what are these patent writers on!

from hrmpf.com

Chris Bangle
Apr 5, 2006, 04:32 AM
Whens sooo. I want them now. My rear end is already sore from sitting on this darn chair alll weekend waiting for a birthday update. I want a new apple product and i want it now. I havnt bought a birthday present yet becaue Ive been expecting new products and they havent come. My birthday was in early february, its beeeeen tooo long.

Chris Bangle
Apr 5, 2006, 04:33 AM
Apple is thinking bigger than wireless headphones

http://static.flickr.com/38/86421241_e27a864217_o.gif (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hrmpf/86421241/)

they may not use bluetooth though (The means of communication are not very specific and don’t really rule out much: “FM, RF, Bluetooth, 802.11, UWB, IR and magnetic links”)... Here’s an excerpt from the Apple wireless iPod patent application that tells the story of the first, second, third and forth skier and their personal transmitting station:

[0115] In this particular illustration, a first skier 506 holds the personal transmitting station 500 while second, third and fourth skiers 508, 510 and 512 each hold personal tuning devices 502… The first skier 506 is located on a first hill 514, the second and third skiers 508 and 510 are located on a ski lift 516, and the fourth skier 502 is skiing down a second hill 518. As should be appreciated, all of these locations are within the broadcasting or networking range of the personal transmitting station 500.
[0116] The personal transmitting station 500 is configured to send a music signal to the personal tuning devices 502 held by the second, third and fourth skiers 508, 510 and 512 and the personal tuning devices 502 are configured to receive the music signal sent from the personal transmitting station 500. The first skier 506 can therefore effect changes to what is being listened to by the second, third and fourth skiers 508, 510 and 512 by simply selecting a different song to be played on the personal transmitting station 500 (even though he is in a different location than the rest of the skiers). For example, the first skier 506 may end a first song and select a second song to be played therefore causing the personal transmitting station 500 to send the second song to the personal tuning devices 502.

from hrmpf.com

How fun must it be to write patents for apple. Seems like they wanna be storytellers, they may even make an adevert out of it...;)

Also what about this 60day risk think appleinsider as on about. The 60 days should end on the 17th but the last tuesday is the 11th. So maybe an update on the 11th.
Anyone know if bluetooth built into ipodhifi. Also bluetooth support added in software update. EXTRA BLUETOOTH SUPPORT IN 10.4.6.......

" using Bluetooth wireless devices" What does this mean????

Amazon UK shipping dates for all ipods apart from 30gb and i think 1gb nano but not sure is shipping in 1-2 weeks or 4-6 weeks. Yesterday they were all 24hours. 30gb is still 24hours but the rest seem to be more than a week. hmmmmm some heavy poo going down.

nataku
Apr 5, 2006, 05:02 AM
Wow they put everything in an iPod now. This bluetooth stuff is nice and all but what for? I dont see wireless headphones really kicking into high gear yet and to think that kind of technology has been out for quite a while. In my opinion, this wont be a reality....YET. In due time my friends. In due time. Besides, Nuclear Power in a battery hasn't been invented yet. :)

steve_hill4
Apr 5, 2006, 05:03 AM
I can't believe no one has really mentioned it, but since when is Stuff a great source?
Apmonia did in post #48.

wake up in the morning, take a seat at the kitchen table with my cheerios. I remember I didn't sync my new album off of iTunes with my ipod. still munching on my cheerios I click a button. ...<<<<>>>>... done munching I put on my wireless headphones, hit random play button, stuff the ipod into my bag. head to the metro.

I get to work, set my bag down, still listening, start the day. that annoying guy in the cubicle next to me wants to listen. ...<<<<>>>... synced up, now we both listen. day ends, I go home on the metro.

remembering I need to go the store I grab the ipod (from where I put it this morning!) and hop into the car ...<<<>>>... I'm now jamming to the new album I bought.

get home, take a seat on the couch, want to finish that new album. ...<<<>>>... connected to my stereo, its loud and clear now.

want to watch that crappy lost episode from last night. ...<<<>>>... (haven't left the couch its playing on the tv now).

ok so I'm bored. anyway here:
http://www.wimedia.org/en/index.asp
You make it sound so life changing. I'm sure it would make a small difference, but nothing noticable. You sit there eating your breakfast and realise you forgot to add that new album. It woudl take longer to just sync from where you are via bluetooth than to go to the computer, (that would have to be turned on anyway), plug in via usb and sync. An album for me takes about 10 seconds, through bluetooth it would be closer to 10 minutes.

Jobs said THAT before you could get Tritium hearing aid batteries that stay charged for 12 to 20 years :eek: :eek: :eek:
New iPod accessory for those people who are currently complaining about volume levels generated by the iPod - iHear (again).:D

Chris Bangle
Apr 5, 2006, 05:12 AM
I read stuff magazine almost monthly and it is quite reliable. They are the only UK gadget magazine website who hvae live updates on keynote speeches, they always get invited to apple launches in the Uk, they have had quite a few product predictions right not only in the case of apple but in other products,I cant remeber anyspecific examples but theres no reason not to belive them. READ POST 109

steve_hill4
Apr 5, 2006, 05:14 AM
Meh, still not cool enough to make me want to ditch my 3G 20GB iPod just yet. Give me a full screen, true video iPod with higher res and I might think about it.

And furthermore, does bluetooth come in any other colors? :confused: :cool:
Oh yeah, macrumors.com/page3 lives on in our hearts. :)

askegg
Apr 5, 2006, 05:22 AM
Bluetooth in an iPod would be an interesting addition. There is more you can do with bluetooth than just listen to music.

You might use it to sync with your Mac (although the throughput would limit it to small/few songs/photos or just contacts and email).

You may be able to broadcast what you are listening to in your local area "bluecasts" ?). Although pairing security and DRM may prevent this from being introduced.

It might be a great way to send notes/photos/sms to other bluetooth devices in the area. I would like to see how apple would handle the alphabet using a click wheel.

To be honest, I can't think of a good enough reason to include bluetooth that would justify the additonal expense.

sunfast
Apr 5, 2006, 05:51 AM
The reasons have been mentioned many times already in this thread - but I have to agree. Apart from not having wires I really see no advantages to a BT iPod and lots of disadvantages. For those of you who MUST have BT headphones (and have an older iPod) there is always this offering (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2439,CONTENTID=10540) from Logitech.

lorien
Apr 5, 2006, 06:27 AM
Nope. I do hate those wired earphones, with wires always getting clogged in my pocket. I find myself clearing a huge earphone wire mess all the time... If those BT headphones are not too expensive, I will buy them.

Totally agree! Having to spend time untangling the wires each time you want to hear music has got to be the biggest iPod design flaw for me. Ok, it's a luxury problem, but I still think of my iPod as a luxury product! Wireless is definitely the future for consumer electronics and why shouldn't iPods be allowed to play wirelessly with the mac family?
I say bring on the toys Apple! *Drool* :D

MrCrowbar
Apr 5, 2006, 06:30 AM
I give a cr*p for bluetooth headohones. They're heavy, bog, you have to charge them and lose them easily. And your iPod would be using a lot of battery while in your pocket, constantly exposing your genitals to RF radiation*. The headphones would radiate a lot too causing brain damage in the long run. That's just the health thing to frak you out. :p

Now to the advantages of bluetooth in an iPod:
# Wireless Synching with your Mac and Apple phone.
# iTunes sharing with other iPods. You're in the underground and wonder what the other guy with the cranked up iPod is listening to. Ask him to activale his BT for a minute so you can listen too. After sharing your playlist you can download the songs in ITMS at home
# wireless remote for your Mac. Nice addition to the apple remote. and you can fumble ot in your pocket to control front row sonce it's not infra red.

* Bluetooth is actually worse than cell phone radiation becasue the frequency of bluetooth is much higher.

iMeowbot
Apr 5, 2006, 06:38 AM
Oh, that's AirTunes :) It's SOP to cover even the more outlandish applications to help thwart would-be imitators.

Applespider
Apr 5, 2006, 06:39 AM
I work for a retailer who sells (lots of) iPods

On our system, the 60GB iPods have been EOL'd with no further deliveries scheduled while the 30GB continues.

I wonder if the next iPod revision will be similar to the iPod photo one. The new 'video' iPod is released at the higher size/pricepoint with the existing 30GB one continues for another 6 months until the features are rolled down into that one?

gauchogolfer
Apr 5, 2006, 07:52 AM
And furthermore, does bluetooth come in any other colors?

You can find a complete listing of bluetooth flavors on Page 3. :)

I'd like this iPod BT capability to be like Salling Clicker, where I could control iTunes, iPhoto slideshows and Keynote remotely. I'm not interested in BT headphones, really, though I see where the potential for car stereo applications lies.

mtrctyjoe
Apr 5, 2006, 08:31 AM
Check this out...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html

Not ONE !!! Rumor site beat Apple to the punch on this..... HOLY ^%$# !!

lorien
Apr 5, 2006, 08:51 AM
Check this out...

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/apr/05bootcamp.html

Not ONE !!! Rumor site beat Apple to the punch on this..... HOLY ^%$# !!

WOW! This is pretty ground breaking stuff. Apple is actually saying, "Here we go, we'll give you a little help installing Windows on your mac" Can't wait for Leopard :cool:

kirk26
Apr 5, 2006, 09:18 AM
Wow they put everything in an iPod now.

Yea. They're finally starting to catch up to the other players if this is true.

morespce54
Apr 5, 2006, 09:35 AM
bluetooth sounds appealing, but like all you guys have stated, a wire isn't so bad. especially with top-notch headphones in shure and etymotics.

Ok about the earphones but it would be really cool tu update my iPod directly in my living room while my computer is in an other room :rolleyes:

jcoffman78
Apr 5, 2006, 10:35 AM
You know I may cry if Apple doesn't do something soon. I am waiting to see what the new Intel iBooks(AKA Macbooks) will be like and cost. I dropped my ibook and it is busted, so i need a new one, and fast. I am being forced to use a PC and it blows.

Chris Bangle
Apr 5, 2006, 12:09 PM
Hmmm i dont know when this Apple corporate and itunes court thing finishes but maybe Apple Computers know they are going to win and then relaese the ipods in celebration..... If it finshes before next tuesday then tuesday should be a day of mass celebration..... Also tuesday is the last tuesday beofre the 17th which is the end of the 60gb's 60day risk list thing....

ibbetson
Apr 5, 2006, 01:23 PM
I'm just curious, is it possible we'll see a price drop on the 30G ipod model when the [video/BT]ipod emerges, or is it more likely that we'll see a bump up in HD storage? [30 to 40 gb... etc]

not quite sure how long to hold out for my first ipod baby... :confused:

Chris Bangle
Apr 5, 2006, 01:40 PM
I reckon that the 30gb should retail @ £189...... They would sell millions. If the new video full screen thing then retails @ £219 which is the price of the 30gb at present appple will sell even more millions. The nano's are just too overpriced... £139 for 2gb, 2GB for that price is too much.. sorry for talking in £'s...... I can get 2gb usb dongle for no more than £50.... as much as i love apple I do hate the nano..... Bring back the mini you people who are trying to overhcarge us..

Stella
Apr 5, 2006, 07:38 PM
Ok about the earphones but it would be really cool tu update my iPod directly in my living room while my computer is in an other room :rolleyes:

LOL - you'd probably drain your iPod battery in no time.. since BT is still Dog slow!

hob
Apr 5, 2006, 08:41 PM
You know I may cry if Apple doesn't do something soon. I am waiting to see what the new Intel iBooks(AKA Macbooks) will be like and cost. I dropped my ibook and it is busted, so i need a new one, and fast. I am being forced to use a PC and it blows.
well why are you posting here then?

bense27
Apr 5, 2006, 09:02 PM
that is awesome. That means that it won't work with windows though right?

neekoriss
Apr 6, 2006, 01:13 AM
i think i have stumbled onto strong evidence that the current ipod has bluetooth in it already and that it will be unlocked via a software update from Apple. Here's what happened:

I have a 60g video ipod
I also have a motorola phone using a cingular high speed data connection for internet access. The phone talks to my ibook via bluetooth.

I start the ipod playing a song and then sit it down next to the bluetooth phone that is connected to the net and passing that connection on to my ibook via bluetooth.

I hit "send and receive" on my mail client.

Immediately, my ipod lights up and the volume starts scrolling up and down randomly.

I can repeat this demonstration 100% of the time.

Can anybody explain phenomenon other than bluetooth in the ipod already?

Chris Bangle
Apr 6, 2006, 04:58 AM
If they did have bluetooth built in already surley someone would have noticed a bluetooth module during dissection????? How small can bluetooth module things be.... If Apple do launch bluetooth ipods will they be of the same form factor of the 30 and 60gb....

obeygiant
Apr 6, 2006, 05:05 AM
They should re-name this thread:

Bluetooth iPods Never.

NicP
Apr 6, 2006, 07:39 AM
i think i have stumbled onto strong evidence that the current ipod has bluetooth in it already and that it will be unlocked via a software update from Apple. Here's what happened:

I have a 60g video ipod
I also have a motorola phone using a cingular high speed data connection for internet access. The phone talks to my ibook via bluetooth.

I start the ipod playing a song and then sit it down next to the bluetooth phone that is connected to the net and passing that connection on to my ibook via bluetooth.

I hit "send and receive" on my mail client.

Immediately, my ipod lights up and the volume starts scrolling up and down randomly.

I can repeat this demonstration 100% of the time.

Can anybody explain phenomenon other than bluetooth in the ipod already?

What you are experiencing is electromagnetic interference, when i put my cell phone near my speaker it makes a buzzing noise, does that mean my speakers have gsm recievers in them?

Tupring
Apr 6, 2006, 02:15 PM
We all know what happens when Jobs denies a product. Case in point ... the Video capable iPodYeah, and he said they won't make iTunes for Windows. I wish it was still that way (our small community).

I agree, the wires are not bad at all, I think I would lose Wireless headphones anyway! This would be a bad move I think Steve has said in the past You cant take away a feature once its in place I dont like the ideaYeah, and Steve never Lies about things like that.

yac_moda
Apr 6, 2006, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morespce54
Ok about the earphones but it would be really cool tu update my iPod directly in my living room while my computer is in an other room

LOL - you'd probably drain your iPod battery in no time.. since BT is still Dog slow!

The pesimist SEEMs VERY reasonable NOW but in a bit LONGER RUN who is almost always RIGHT :confused:

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/49650.html
"Backers of Bluetooth wireless technology this week announced their selection of the WiMedia Alliance ultra-wideband specification, which promises to increase the speed and capability of the close-in wireless solution.

The move will not only extend Bluetooth capabilities for current low-power uses such as in mice, keyboards and headsets, said the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG), but also take the wireless technology to the next step: supporting high-speed synchronization and transfer of audio and even video." :eek:

"The target for availability of Bluetooth UWB chipsets is the second quarter of 2007." :eek: :eek:

AND the latest battery tech is PRETTY GOOD :eek: :eek: :eek: ...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004W3ZE/ref=sr_11_1/102-2255896-0276151?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013
"Upgrade all your smoke detectors to 10-year life with the only battery warranted for 10 years
Reliable lithium battery keeps life-saving detectors energized for a full 10 years"

macgeek2005
Apr 6, 2006, 05:22 PM
So when are these things coming out? I want a new ipod, and theres no way i'm buying the current 60gb when an update is so soon.

j26
Apr 6, 2006, 06:32 PM
Surprised nobody has mentioned one obvious application.

You are pottering along the street listening to your iPod. Your bluetooth mobile phone rings. Your iPod cuts out and you answer your call on you iPod headphones (with a mike built in), and when you finish your call, your iPod resumes at the point it cut out at.

Then you have an...

...iPod with phone functionality!!

Now that is something I would run out to buy. I could leave my phone in my pocket and receive calls while lstening to the iPod - I could even listen to the radio in the phone through the iPod. Sounds like a killer app to me - no more need to take off you headphones and shuffle about in your pocket to stop the iPod if there is a call, and the better sound quality of the iPod will kill off most of the Phone/MP3 Player combos.
(the ability to call contacts using the iPod rather than the phone would also be a great feature)

Chris Bangle
Apr 7, 2006, 06:43 AM
Amazon UK now has all ipods apart from 60gb in stock. Shipping time for all nanos and 30gb are 24hours while shipping for 60gb is 1-2weeks. 60GB=1-2WEEKS.
60GB=1-2WEEKS...
Does this mean anything...
I hope it means Tuesday=New ipods.....

this had been like this for ages but i thought id bring it up... www.apple.com/movies when you click it why does what come up, come up...

defylogik
Apr 7, 2006, 09:04 AM
about darn time! cables are so 1994

reykjavik
Apr 8, 2006, 12:16 PM

weakness has nothing to do with it. the issue is whether it mutates cells which has more to do with the size of the frequency than the strength. Weak radiation is still much worse for you then a strong cigarette.

NicP
Apr 8, 2006, 07:02 PM
weakness has nothing to do with it. the issue is whether it mutates cells which has more to do with the size of the frequency than the strength. Weak radiation is still much worse for you then a strong cigarette.

It has to do with BOTH the frequency and the strength

gman71882
Apr 9, 2006, 02:52 AM
hmmmm im thinking happy thoughts for the next week

Chris Bangle
Apr 10, 2006, 03:50 PM
When are they coming. Come on its nearly been a week since the article was published...... Come on Apple.

mongoos150
Apr 10, 2006, 03:52 PM
When are they coming. Come on its nearly been a week since the article was published...... Come on Apple.
...They're probably not coming; did you take this article that seriously?

Chris Bangle
Apr 10, 2006, 03:59 PM
Obviously we have to be cautious of sources but Stuff Magazine has been reliable in the past,, we have to remember this is not the Mens Stuff magazine of the USA but a different stuff magazine of the UK. I believe that we can trust the article and hope that bluetooth joins us soon.

~Shard~
Apr 10, 2006, 05:09 PM
Obviously we have to be cautious of sources but Stuff Magazine has been reliable in the past,, we have to remember this is not the Mens Stuff magazine of the USA but a different stuff magazine of the UK. I believe that we can trust the article and hope that bluetooth joins us soon.

Don't hold your breath. Better to be cautiously realistic than naively optimistic. ;) :p :cool:

Chris Bangle
Apr 11, 2006, 06:32 AM
Apple Store UK is shipping the white 60gb in 3 days. 3 days what does this mean...... Pleeeeeese Apple launch a new ipod today.... Pleeeeeeese..... Come on its been almost 6 months ish and you know interest in ipods has dropped a little.. And you know creative have slashed prices in the UK..... Come on give us a new ipod pleeeeeeeese........

John Lewis is out of 60gb's and has no shuffles left and no 4gb nanos. www.johnlewis.co.uk
They are only ever out of stock after an ipod has been released eg a week after the video was anounced they were ot of stock for weeks but nothing has been launched and there isnt strong demand for them at the moment.

St Soichiro
Apr 11, 2006, 06:56 AM
Apple Store is down? At least in the US.

:D

April Dancer
Apr 11, 2006, 07:05 AM
Apple Store is down? At least in the US.

:D
Still down in the UK too... bet they're just having a tidy up. :(

vito
Apr 11, 2006, 07:13 AM
hmmm working for me :confused:

vito
Apr 11, 2006, 07:16 AM
ahhh now its gone down, must have had a cached copy - silly me! :o

jameshopkins
Apr 11, 2006, 07:20 AM
Apple store is currently down!!

New products!?!?!?!

St Soichiro
Apr 11, 2006, 07:33 AM

Oh Ye of Little Faith! :)

zeppiecr
Apr 11, 2006, 07:38 AM
don't get too psyched its just remote desktop 3, 499 for unlimited systems, 299 for managing 10 systems

April Dancer
Apr 11, 2006, 08:52 AM
don't get too psyched its just remote desktop 3, 499 for unlimited systems, 299 for managing 10 systems
Humph! Still, I didn't really expect anything exciting. The fact that I need a bigger widescreeen iPod this minute is by the by... :( ;)