dmw007
Apr 4, 2006, 10:31 PM
Not me, but rather Barry Gerber

Check out.....

http://www.mobilityguru.com/2006/04/04/who_designed_this_crap/

.....for a rather inflammatory article. :mad:

grapes911
Apr 4, 2006, 10:33 PM
I skimmed that article earlier. It isn't even worth reading. The guy couldn't even spell iPod and iTunes correctly.

dornoforpyros
Apr 4, 2006, 10:39 PM
Some one needs to tell Barry that satire works a lot better when it's short & sweet. 7-8 pages of you ranting isn't funny.

"duh, I hate the little 'i' in Ipod...it makes me mad grrrrrrrr :mad: "

dmw007
Apr 4, 2006, 10:41 PM
The guy even puts a disclaimer in the begging of the article. :rolleyes:

WARNING: If you own an Apple Ipod or have a passionate desire to own one, reading this article could be hazardous to your health. On the other hand it might help you break or avoid a nasty and expensive habit.

dmw007
Apr 4, 2006, 10:48 PM
The guy couldn't even spell iPod and iTunes correctly.

I hate it when people call an iPod an "IPod" or iTunes, "ITunes". :rolleyes:

The word that comes to mind is, "L-O-S-E-R". :rolleyes: :)

MacBytes
Apr 5, 2006, 01:08 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Who Designed This Crap? The Great Ipod Scam (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20060405020818)
Description:: WARNING: If you own an Apple Ipod or have a passionate desire to own one, reading this article could be hazardous to your health. On the other hand it might help you break or avoid a nasty and expensive habit.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

jimN
Apr 5, 2006, 01:51 AM
The article is poorly written and half of his arguements are a waste of space. Complaining about whether or not the i of ipod should be capitalised should sounds like the rambling of a bitter and twisted man. As for the fragility of the nano - it was a widely reported issue and yet people still bought it in their millions. Those of us who never had the problem still believe that it was just a bunch of muppets not taking adequate care of their new toy. With regards to DRM, if he can think of a better way to appease the record industry then go ahead, or he can continue to rip his own CDs and have unlimited use of them via itunes or whatever other music player he chooses.

If you don't like itunes/ipods then don't buy one; why people feel compelled to buy into the system and then whine I have no idea but judging by the number of people who go out and buy every new generation, it seems that they have no problems with it.

QCassidy352
Apr 5, 2006, 01:52 AM
The twist with the Ipod is that - though the real money is in Itunes content - Steve Jobs and his crew of merry pranksters aren't exactly giving away Ipods. Rather they're selling them for considerably more than it takes to make them and then, with Itunes, hooking a great majority of Ipod owners with the oldest come on in marketing, "Hey, buy another song it's only 99 cents."

That's pretty much were I stopped paying attention. itunes does a negligible amount for apple; the money is solely in the ipods. But hey, who needs facts when you can rant? :rolleyes:

His complaints seem to be:
- the nano scratches too easily
- there are too many DMR restrictions
- apple uses a lowercase "i" to "lure you in" with its "cuteness" and then hits you over the head with $.99 music downloads.
- the ipod uses a Li battery instead of AAA

And because of these horrors he concludes:
The music really died the day Apple brought the Ipod and Itunes to market wrapped in a series of sub-scams that not only killed the music, but what was left of the soul of Apple itself.

It's hard to think of something sarcastic and derisive enough to say about this guy and his article...

TheMonarch
Apr 5, 2006, 01:54 AM
Who wrote this crap? :rolleyes:

paddy
Apr 5, 2006, 02:02 AM
Read the first page, scrolled down to the end and saw that there was 6 pages in the article and after one page of complete rubbish I was not going to put myself through the rest :rolleyes: . Who is this guy?

simX
Apr 5, 2006, 02:04 AM
Actually, there's misinformation in the article too, not just crap. He states that CDs created with iTunes can't be ripped with other CD rippers, and he states that you can only burn iTMS songs to CD once. This is a flat out lie, and anyone who used the iTMS knows that iTunes strips the encryption when burning to CD, and that there's no restriction on how many times you can burn a certain song to CD, only how many times you can burn a certain PLAYLIST to CD.

He also states that Apple can change the number of authorized computers at any time. This is also a flat-out lie. The original version of FairPlay (version 1) debuted with 3 computer authorizations and 10 playlist burns. If you downloaded any songs with that license in place, those restrictions still apply to those songs in iTunes. Only recently downloaded songs (version 2 of FairPlay) have the newer use rights: 5 computer authorizations and 7 playlist burns.

I won't get into all the other lame arguments he uses to rail against the iPod, but I thought at least I'd point out the factual inaccuracies. I suspect, though, that this might be some sort of lame belated April Fool's Day joke.

mvc
Apr 5, 2006, 02:15 AM
6 Pages of worthless ranting

Includes product placement for an ugly lump of unusable plastic (Creative Player)

Includes Lies™, more Lies™ and twisted opinions

Sounds like a 7yr old whining about not getting his way.

Even the Authors name is childish (http://www.gerber.com) ;)

Takumi
Apr 5, 2006, 02:43 AM
come on fellas, it's not a serious article

take these two paragraphs:

The Muvo even has an FM radio and, miracle of miracles, a user replaceable AAA battery.
Batteries that can't be replaced by we mere mortals are another nano brained idea from Apple. They result from Apple's two major lusts. The first is for money and the second is for "cool" and usually dysfunctional design. If I can't replace the battery on my Nano, who will and at what price? I leave that to your imagination, but I'm sure "Apple Corp." and "too much" will show up somewhere in that exercise. The correct term to describe Nano design isn't "cool," it's "disposable." I'm glad I already disposed of my $250 "icon of twenty first century design."

and

Some say the music died on February 3, 1959 when singer-songwriters "The Big Bopper" (J.P. Richardson), Ritchie Valens and Buddy Holly were killed in a terrible airplane crash just outside of Mason City, Iowa. I disagree. The music really died the day Apple brought the Ipod and Itunes to market wrapped in a series of sub-scams that not only killed the music, but what was left of the soul of Apple itself.

"So... Bye bye Miss American Pie

I packed up laughing at these, well not quite. Take off the sarcastic exterior and you realise that the writer is giving credit where credit is due, the Ipod is a marketing machine and onethat will not be stopped easily

Takumi

Apr 5, 2006, 02:53 AM
He must be working as intern for Enderle and Dvorak's new "consulting" firm...a commendable piece of crap, nothing more...:rolleyes:

Silencio
Apr 5, 2006, 03:10 AM
My opinion of Tom's Hardware Guide just dropped significantly after reading just a couple of sections of this utter drivel. I thought those guys had pretty stringent editorial standards, but I guess that just goes for their reviews; it appears that they'll let any old crackpot write an editorial, facts be damned!

Fiveos22
Apr 5, 2006, 03:16 AM
How do websites make money? driving web traffic to thier site

How do they drive traffic to thier site? by putting out interesting (for better or worse) content and having other sites link to it.

We are sitting here griping about this article while we are also bringing traffic to their site and thus paying thier bills.

Joke's on us...no?

WeeManDan
Apr 5, 2006, 03:18 AM
It really bugs me when people (read author) dont bother to actually see what they are writing is actually correct, I'm referring to the DRM issue. TBH I got bored at page 3 but still felt it worth my two pennies. I'm not positie about the laws in the States but here in the UK you are not actually legally alowed to make a backup or any such copy so when you can have the same song on 5 computers, that is really a bargain. Also who actually needs a song on more than 5 computers?

Dan

bousozoku
Apr 5, 2006, 04:02 AM
Actually, there's misinformation in the article too, not just crap. He states that CDs created with iTunes can't be ripped with other CD rippers, and he states that you can only burn iTMS songs to CD once. This is a flat out lie, and anyone who used the iTMS knows that iTunes strips the encryption when burning to CD, and that there's no restriction on how many times you can burn a certain song to CD, only how many times you can burn a certain PLAYLIST to CD.

He also states that Apple can change the number of authorized computers at any time. This is also a flat-out lie. The original version of FairPlay (version 1) debuted with 3 computer authorizations and 10 playlist burns. If you downloaded any songs with that license in place, those restrictions still apply to those songs in iTunes. Only recently downloaded songs (version 2 of FairPlay) have the newer use rights: 5 computer authorizations and 7 playlist burns.

I won't get into all the other lame arguments he uses to rail against the iPod, but I thought at least I'd point out the factual inaccuracies. I suspect, though, that this might be some sort of lame belated April Fool's Day joke.

That was interesting. I'm not sure how many computers he has but 5 doesn't sound all that restrictive.

I'm also not sure what a standard CD ripper is but I suspect that if you don't burn AIFF or mp3 files (AAC?), you won't get a "standard" application to read it.

Whatever his reason, he made it sound that he was uneducated but had a decent job. I wonder what his supervisor does at review time.

Takumi
Apr 5, 2006, 04:34 AM
Also who actually needs a song on more than 5 computers?

Dan
I'd like it on a compact dics in uncompressed PSM audio, so that I can play it on my home stereo, in my car, take it anywhere I want to, and not have it erased by a chance event.

Takumi

MacBoobsPro
Apr 5, 2006, 04:37 AM
The article is poorly written and half of his arguements are a waste of space. Complaining about whether or not the i of ipod should be capitalised should sounds like the rambling of a bitter and twisted man. As for the fragility of the nano - it was a widely reported issue and yet people still bought it in their millions. Those of us who never had the problem still believe that it was just a bunch of muppets not taking adequate care of their new toy. With regards to DRM, if he can think of a better way to appease the record industry then go ahead, or he can continue to rip his own CDs and have unlimited use of them via itunes or whatever other music player he chooses.

If you don't like itunes/ipods then don't buy one; why people feel compelled to buy into the system and then whine I have no idea but judging by the number of people who go out and buy every new generation, it seems that they have no problems with it.

I havent even read the article after reading this response!

iPod is a name and so can be spelt however the creator wishes!

If your nano has broken, it serves you right for not taking care of it. Ive had mine from day one and it doesnt have even the slightest scratch on it and i use it everyday. Muppets..? agreed!

AlmostThere
Apr 5, 2006, 04:39 AM
Complaining about whether or not the i of ipod should be capitalised should sounds like the rambling of a bitter and twisted man.

Jihad on capitalisation is just a side effect of exposure to the MAC community :)

thegreatluke
Apr 5, 2006, 04:53 AM
I love when he (including everyone else) talks about Apple's DRM like none of the other online music vendors have them.

Apple's FairPlay is probably the fairest DRM I've ever seen from an online vendor.

Also, it's pretty difficult for me to take anyone who writes "Ipod" or "Itunes" seriously. Come on, it takes a second to get used to writing "iPod" or "iTunes." It's not that hard.

Also, about the first page, he talks about the lowercase "i" like it's some sort of scheme to make you feel the same way about your iPod that you do about your kitty-witty.

I'm sure, in 2000, all the guys at Apple were just looking around. Then they saw the iMac and they said "how about the iPod?" And then everyone agreed.

And ugh, this guy uses IntelliTXT. That thing is so fecking annoying; it's hard to read the article.

sunfast
Apr 5, 2006, 05:07 AM
That aticle is so poorly written I can hardly follow the guy's arguments.

SPUY767
Apr 5, 2006, 06:33 AM
Sounds like somebody's mad that he bought a Rio Karma cause he can't afford an iPod.

steve_hill4
Apr 5, 2006, 06:44 AM
Again using:
The Muvo even has an FM radio and, miracle of miracles, a user replaceable AAA battery.
Batteries that can't be replaced by we mere mortals are another nano brained idea from Apple. They result from Apple's two major lusts. The first is for money and the second is for "cool" and usually dysfunctional design. If I can't replace the battery on my Nano, who will and at what price? I leave that to your imagination, but I'm sure "Apple Corp." and "too much" will show up somewhere in that exercise. The correct term to describe Nano design isn't "cool," it's "disposable." I'm glad I already disposed of my $250 "icon of twenty first century design."
Well, what does the Beatles Apple Corps have to do with battery replacement? Unless he slipped that in on purpose to help the court case in the corps favour, (argue that it is evident people think Apple Corps is Apple Computer).

Secondly, there are many places that can replace batteries for iPods, some even work out as cheap as replacing it yourself. Out of the millions sold, I bet less than 10-15% have severe problems, even after two years, (I say that including all the recent sales as on ones that are currently two years old or more, there were a lot of 3G problems).

Takumi
Apr 5, 2006, 07:07 AM
I just found that passage funny after reading the entire article, just have to take it with a pich of salt

Takumi

chicagdan
Apr 5, 2006, 07:29 AM
That aticle is so poorly written I can hardly follow the guy's arguments.

It was a terrible article, but as a long-time Apple user, I am open to arguments that the iPod is overrated. I've had three iPod hard drives crash on me in the last year. Sure, I was able to replace them each time under warranty, but it was still a huge pain in the ass and I have to wonder what's up with Apple quality control when something like that can happen.

I can't see myself buying another hard-drive based iPod, it's probably going to be all flash memory version for me from now on. I hope the Nano can get up to the 20 gig range soon.

saurus
Apr 5, 2006, 08:06 AM
How do websites make money? driving web traffic to thier site

How do they drive traffic to thier site? by putting out interesting (for better or worse) content and having other sites link to it.

We are sitting here griping about this article while we are also bringing traffic to their site and thus paying thier bills.

Joke's on us...no?

I totally agree - MacBytes is promoting this crap! And to push an article over 6 pages, thats 6x the number of ad based income we've all help bring in just to listen to this garbage...

If an article is crap, stop on the first page please!

Oh and please learn how to spell "their"!
Cheers

askthedust
Apr 5, 2006, 08:10 AM
K, the "you can only burn a song once after buying it?" Never had that problem.
The scratches thing was all over the web within 2 weeks of the nano's debut. My first ipod was a second gen 20 GB with the clear acrylic surface and that thing scratched very easily. It never got the uproar of the nano. Still works with no problems. Why would anyone not research a product before they buy it? Maybe this is just the gadget lover in me, but how could you open the packaging and see that glossy surface and not think this might need to be protected? If he needs to get rid of $250 plus tax, I will gladly offer to take it from him not only as service to the mac community but so that I don't have to scan through articles to point out why someone is a fool. No offense meant to anyone here who loves bubblegum oldies, but is this guy for real? Please have your great-grandchilren show you how to use it, they'll love you for it. I agree with the other posters who think this article sounds like a traffic cop for sure.

bousozoku
Apr 5, 2006, 08:12 AM
I totally agree - MacBytes is promoting this crap! And to push an article over 6 pages, thats 6x the number of ad based income we've all help bring in just to listen to this garbage...

If an article is crap, stop on the first page please!

Oh and please learn how to spell "their"!
Cheers

MacBytes isn't promoting anything. Someone, probably a MacRumors or DailyTunes member, submitted the thing.

billyboy
Apr 5, 2006, 08:12 AM
I never knew Big Bopper was with Holly and Valens when they died on the same plane, hey, I learnt something. I also think I am the only person in th eworld who has played with an iPod in an Apple Store on two occasions and never figured out how the scroll wheel worked!

Stridder44
Apr 5, 2006, 08:24 AM
Why do idiots like this keep capitalizing the "i" on iPod!? These people need to stop breeding.

Same with spelling "Mac" like MAC. MAC is very different.

rjwill246
Apr 5, 2006, 09:04 AM
It's hard to think of something sarcastic and derisive enough to say about this guy and his article...

You said it all!!!:)

Keynoteuser
Apr 5, 2006, 09:21 AM
What made me laugh the MOST was that he replaced his iPod with another player...

Now he can't play songs he bought off iTunes
and he MUST use Window's locked down format if he wants to buy songs from anywhere else on the web (if that player even supports them).

How is this making him better off in the long run? I mean, they BOTH still play ripped mp3s. What an idiot.

Rye Brye
Apr 5, 2006, 10:09 AM
The new trend these days is to split content up into 6 pages or more... If there is no "printable version" button I will either close the web page - or if I have a bit of extra time - I will contact the website and complain.

Unless they invent a scroll wheel that will seemlessly click the "next page" and "previous page" buttons for me - and allow me to quickly scan the whole article before deciding if I want to read it - I will continue to close out of sites like this one...

plinden
Apr 5, 2006, 10:25 AM
Nano scratches - yeah, this would be annoying, about the only valid point there but it was still a very vocal minority complained about this.
iTunes 99c per song - 70c goes to record companies.
The 'i' thing - it's kind of getting old now, but who really cares?
DRM - imposed by record companies.

The important thing about the 5 computer authorizations is, it's 5 computers at a time. I've had my iTunes authorized on three work laptops (deauthorizing when I handed them back), on my iMac, and used up three when having to reformat my Dell desktop three times. I have one left for my wife's upcoming i/MacBook. I can get the three used up ones back any time.

Jerry Spoon
Apr 5, 2006, 10:38 AM
Reading my post is almost as much of a wast of time as reading this guy's article :rolleyes:

flinch13
Apr 5, 2006, 10:49 AM
Honestly. Apple is running a business, and that's their strategy. In my opinion, it works quite well, and generally makes consumers pretty happy. I've had great experiences with Apple products in the past, finding them to be more attractive, intuitive, and fun to use than alternatives. Take the flash player he mentions at the end of the article--to me, it looks like it's not nearly as fun to use as the iPod. I don't really have that much to say, but when it comes down to it, scratches, DRM and the COMPLETELY NONMANDITORY existence of the iTunes music store is not enough to deter me from using an iPod.

2nyRiggz
Apr 5, 2006, 10:53 AM
LOL...good read guys. I needed something to get my day going...thanks.

Bless

wankey
Apr 5, 2006, 02:40 PM
My friend got an ipod mini as a present for Christmas a while ago and he sold it because he didn't "like" ipods. He didn't even open the package or even try to experience what an ipod is like.

Well, all I can say is everyone thought he was stupid. Since then, I've concluded the majority of people who complain about ipods either

a) never actually used an ipod
b) want to be "different" from the crowd

Same goes for Macs and OS X. This guy was bad mouthing OS X, and he doesn't even know what it is. He doesn't even know how to install linux, or windows on his computer for that matter.

galstaph
Apr 5, 2006, 03:04 PM
Maybe he just needs to try a different iPod. My mini is one tough little player, and I (and no-one I know) have had no issue with iTMS. DRM is a necessary evil, but it is fairly used. If he doesn't like it buy the physical CD or pirate the songs;)
Just another windows guy who doesn't really know a good thing when he sees it. Enjoy you media player buddy

Even having the audacity to liken the iPod and iTunes to 3 music legends... tsk tsk

SC68Cal
Apr 5, 2006, 03:05 PM
Through the music sharing feature of iTunes, couldn't you actually have more than 5 computers play the songs streamed from another computer? I mean, if you have 7 computers, just have the 5 that have the music on them and are authorized, and then just stream the music to the two that are not?

simX
Apr 5, 2006, 03:14 PM
Through the music sharing feature of iTunes, couldn't you actually have more than 5 computers play the songs streamed from another computer? I mean, if you have 7 computers, just have the 5 that have the music on them and are authorized, and then just stream the music to the two that are not?

No. If you try to stream iTMS songs, an authorization window pops up just as if you were trying to play it on your own computer. So you can still only play the song on 5 computers -- streaming doesn't work around this limitation. Not to say that you can't broadcast it via AirPort Express to an unlimited number of speakers, though; you just can't play it on more than 5 computers.

funkychunkz
Apr 5, 2006, 03:48 PM
WARNING: If you own an Apple Ipod or have a passionate desire to own one, reading this article could be hazardous to your health.

If they are going to post that here, they might as well take out the 'if' part of that argument.

emaja
Apr 5, 2006, 04:02 PM
So Apple's DRM is too restrictive, it scratches, he'd rather throw batteries in a landfill and objects to the name 'iPod" but he can't actually articulate a reason that the design and function of the iPod is inferior to anything.

We all know FairPlay is the fairest DRM (which is a requirement of the record labels in the first place - not Apple's). All the other MP3 players never scratch and it is a great idea to throw heavy metals into a hold in the ground.

Moron.

Mammoth
Apr 5, 2006, 04:13 PM
I was skimming through the comments and someone mentioned that 'Apple has a useless OS' Funny, I bet the entire website is maintained on a Mac.

EDIT: ..And even if OS X did suck, you can still run Windows on a Mac.

Takumi
Apr 5, 2006, 05:36 PM
MacBytes isn't promoting anything. Someone, probably a MacRumors or DailyTunes member, submitted the thing.
I'm rathersure the article is part of Tomshardware's 30years of Apple week, of which the first 2 articles were very good.

Takumi

Takumi
Apr 5, 2006, 05:44 PM
and it is a great idea to throw heavy metals into a hold in the ground. Moron.

Last I checked Lithium wasn't a heavy metal, neither was Nickel.

Mecrury has been band for use in batteries, and NiCad batters are being phased out since Cadmium is classed as a heavy metal, but also because of the memory effect. Also When was the last time you saw a lead acid mp3 player battery?

Even so, where do you think all metals come from, all these wonderfuly evil 'heavy metals' as you would put it, come from. there's an execellent chance that is was mined from the earth. And depending on where you live there's a good chance that the heavyest metal of them all is powering your computer

Takumi

P.S: tell me you've never put an old computer part in the trash, or a bit of copper wire,

dmw007
Apr 5, 2006, 08:07 PM
I was skimming through the comments and someone mentioned that 'Apple has a useless OS' Funny, I bet the entire website is maintained on a Mac.

Probably! :rolleyes: :)

EDIT: ..And even if OS X did suck, you can still run Windows on a Mac.

Very true, but you can't run Mac on a Windows PeeCee. :)
So whatever Barry Gerber. :rolleyes:

macpastor
Apr 5, 2006, 08:29 PM
Not me, but rather Barry Gerber

Check out.....

http://www.mobilityguru.com/2006/04/04/who_designed_this_crap/

.....for a rather inflammatory article. :mad:

Haven't people got better things to do?

dmw007
Apr 5, 2006, 08:41 PM

No, I guess not. For some reason, certain people enjoy writing these sorts of things about Apple and their glorious iPods. :)

Give me money
Apr 5, 2006, 10:59 PM
Does any one know were this guy lives I want to kill him or harress him into madness?:mad:

Counterfit
Apr 5, 2006, 11:02 PM
iThink he failed English.

stoid
Apr 5, 2006, 11:33 PM
Does any one know were this guy lives I want to kill him or harress him into madness?:mad:

1) It's generally a bad idea to make those kinds of claims and assume an 'anonymity' of the internet.

2) If you regularly say things like that in real life or often have feelings like that I suggest counseling.

3) It's just a computer or a gimmicky electronic gadget. It's not worth getting worked up about.

solvs
Apr 5, 2006, 11:38 PM
"Me fail English? That's unpossible." - Ralph Wiggum

And I ain't readin' 6+ pages of that.

Demon Hunter
Apr 6, 2006, 12:07 AM
I'll tell you how. The cutesy lower case "i" is there to make you feel about the Ipod and Itunes like you feel about your sweet little kitty. Inanimate vs. animate characteristics aside, the minimal monetary difference between the Ipod and Itunes and your kitty, is somewhere around 50 cents a day in the kitty's favor, depending on the cost of your Itunes habit and the cost of what you feed your kitty. And, I bet it didn't cost most of you a minimum of over $50 an ounce to acquire your kitty.

Kittyyyyy :)

iProd
Apr 6, 2006, 04:18 AM

http://www.smashmyipod.com

Apparently not... :mad:

dmw007
Apr 6, 2006, 06:15 AM
Why do idiots like this keep capitalizing the "i" on iPod!? These people need to stop breeding.

Same with spelling "Mac" like MAC. MAC is very different.

I could not agree more. :) ;)

dmw007
Apr 6, 2006, 06:17 AM

That could very well be. :) ;)

student_trap
Apr 6, 2006, 09:09 AM
1) It's generally a bad idea to make those kinds of claims and assume an 'anonymity' of the internet.

2) If you regularly say things like that in real life or often have feelings like that I suggest counseling.

3) It's just a computer or a gimmicky electronic gadget. It's not worth getting worked up about.

i couldn't have put it plainer

Give me money
Apr 6, 2006, 07:18 PM

stoid leave me alone I don't have a social life I live inside a box with my ipod and my computer, I don't like the real world it's a discusting place.:mad: :D