PDA

View Full Version : Oh No! Please tell me my iPod is still alive! HELP!

Xanderxxx
Apr 5, 2006, 12:05 AM
Hey guys!
I think my iPod is dunzo. It's only a year and a half old! Just last week it went crazy and when I played a song, it skiped it and played another one on the playlist. I reset it and all, and it kinda works when you first plug it in after a reset, but then the song won't transfer and the iPod and iTunes freeze! Please tell me there is a way to fix this without having to get a new hard drive! I did not buy AppleCare, and boy do I wish I had.

Help! :( :(

TheMonarch
Apr 5, 2006, 12:07 AM
Details please ;)

Xanderxxx
Apr 5, 2006, 12:32 AM
Details please ;)

Sorry, I was unsure of what to write. The iPod works and all, you can navigate the menu and everything but once I put it on the dock/connecting cable, my mac tries to transfer the songs from iTunes to the iPod but freezes and then my iPod freezes and I have to manually eject it in order for iTunes to work again and then reset my ipod in order for it to unfreeze. I have:
- Reset the iPod
- Re-installed iTunes, twice
- Re-installed the iPod software, erased it completly
- Used permissions repair/disk repair on the iPod

I have connected it on disk mode, but when I try to transfer a file from Finder to the iPod, it freezes Finder and the iPod. Yet I reset the iPod and I can navigate the iPod's empty catalog.

:eek:

TheMonarch
Apr 5, 2006, 12:39 AM
great details so far, but I meant to ask... What kind of iPod do you have?:D

Xanderxxx
Apr 5, 2006, 03:41 PM
great details so far, but I meant to ask... What kind of iPod do you have?:D

4th Gen iPod

lamina
Apr 5, 2006, 03:55 PM
Sorry pal, in my experience in repairing iPods, sounds like a dead hard drive.

Put your ear up to it when it stalls while copying songs. Does it make a weird click-whirring noise?

Xanderxxx
Apr 5, 2006, 04:07 PM
Sorry pal, in my experience in repairing iPods, sounds like a dead hard drive.

Put your ear up to it when it stalls while copying songs. Does it make a weird click-whirring noise?

Should I replace the hard drive or save up and buy a new one? :(

Questor
Apr 5, 2006, 04:23 PM
I have the same problem iPod G4. It sync about 80 tracks and then just hangs... Anyone know a good service to get the hard drive replaced cheap? I think Apple offers a 10% trade-in for dead-iPods.

redAPPLE
Apr 5, 2006, 04:55 PM
i feel for you. my 4th gen iPod (HP) has similar symptoms. and it is the last iPod that syncs with firewire.

sapereaude
Apr 5, 2006, 05:42 PM
I had to replace the drive in my Photo, It's really pretty easy to do yourself, and there are a bunch of websites with details and pics on how to do it.

When I replaced mine this was the cheapest new iPod drives I could find, but that was a while ago, so that may not be true anymore.

1.8" drives at ewiz.com (http://www.ewiz.com/query.php?dp=1&categry=576&brand=Toshiba&pa0=&pa1=&pa2=&pa3=&pa4=1.8%20inch&pa5=&searchStr=Search%20from%20current%20results&myanchor=#displaytop&dt=&ob=&nl=10&anchor=%23displaytop)

Give me money
Apr 5, 2006, 10:57 PM
I love my ipod nano:)

lamina
Apr 7, 2006, 06:05 AM
You can usually get a working iPod HDD on eBay for about $90 US. That is the best option if you're looking to save money. I have replaced peoples hard drives without a hitch, and once you get over the initial anxiety of opening your baby up, its a breeze.

Fixing iPods is also a great way to make money, because everyone else is afraid to even touch one :)

Mord
Apr 7, 2006, 10:14 AM
you could try repartitioning it and stop the ipod from useing the first 5GB. that usually resurrects an ipod HD, i've done it to a few ipods, google it, their are a few guides.