Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Apple(R) today introduced Boot Camp, public beta software that enables Intel-based Macs to run Windows XP. Available as a download beginning today, Boot Camp allows users with a Microsoft Windows XP installation disc to install Windows XP on an Intel-based Mac(R), and once installation is complete, users can restart their computer to run either Mac OS(R) X or Windows XP. Boot Camp will be a feature in "Leopard," Apple's next major release of Mac OS X, that will be previewed at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in August.

"Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple's superior hardware now that we use Intel processors," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "We think Boot Camp makes the Mac even more appealing to Windows users considering making the switch."

Boot Camp simplifies Windows installation on an Intel-based Mac by providing a simple graphical step-by-step assistant application to dynamically create a second partition on the hard drive for Windows, to burn a CD with all the necessary Windows drivers, and to install Windows from a Windows XP installation CD. After installation is complete, users can choose to run either Mac OS X or Windows when they restart their computer.

Pricing & Availability

The public beta of Boot Camp is available immediately as a download at http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp, and is preview software licensed for use on a trial basis for a limited time. The final version of Boot Camp will be available as a feature in the upcoming Mac OS X version 10.5 "Leopard." Apple does not provide support for installing or running Boot Camp and does not sell or support Microsoft Windows software. Apple welcomes user feedback on Boot Camp at bootcamp@apple.com.

System Requirements

Boot Camp requires an Intel-based Mac with a USB keyboard and mouse, or a built-in keyboard and TrackPad; Mac OS X version 10.4.6 or later; the latest firmware update; at least 10GB of free space on the startup disk; a blank recordable CD or DVD; and single-disc version of Windows XP Home Edition or Professional with Service Pack 2 or later.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning desktop and notebook computers, OS X operating system, and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital music revolution with its iPod portable music players and iTunes online music store.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
hahahah all those people searching forever for a way to install windows and all those countless hours gone to waste by Apple doing it themselves

Applespider

macrumors G4
It's quite a change of tune from 'We won't stop anyone putting Windows on their Intel Macs' to 'We'll help people do it'

Interesting since it makes it more possible for non-geeks and may help the switcher market decide it's worthwhile. I notice that it still requires the XP disc so they're not actually selling Windows - which would I suspect be taken negatively by the press.

alywa

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Whoa

Is this for real? Has anyone tried it yet?

I think the "pooping his pants" comment about Michael Dell is just about right.

I want an intel mac now just to try it!

-alywa

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
alywa said:
Is this for real? Has anyone tried it yet?

I think the "pooping his pants" comment about Michael Dell is just about right.

I want an intel mac now just to try it!

-alywa

No one has had time to try it, but it's real alright.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I wonder what effect this'll have on the virtualisation companies. I'd personally prefer to have Windows inset into OSX rather than a dual booting situation, but that's just me.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
I just think this is great that no more bootloader is needed....poor poor onmac.net All that hard work gone to waste

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
eva01 said:
I just think this is great that no more bootloader is needed....poor poor onmac.net All that hard work gone to waste

So much for their video driver contest, eh? :p

Think Apple will get the $1500? haha

gauchogolfer

macrumors 603
Jan 28, 2005
American Riviera
iGary said:
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit™.

Darn, post #7, iGary. When I saw the thread title, I bet on post #5 in my office pool. :D :D

I do think it's a bit funny that people spent so much time trying to get it to work. Will those dudes have to give back the $13,000 now?

I like the snide comments on the Apple site, by the way.

Apple site said:
Macs use an ultra-modern industry standard technology called EFI to handle booting. Sadly, Windows XP, and even the upcoming Vista, are stuck in the 1980s with old-fashioned BIOS. But with Boot Camp, the Mac can operate smoothly in both centuries.

Apple site said:
Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Chaszmyr said:
So much for their video driver contest, eh? :p

Think Apple will get the $1500? haha

I can see one of the Apple developers claiming :rolleyes:

I agree with mad jew I love Macs and that's all i want to use, but having Window's at a click for the small amount of things I require of it would be great.

Just thinking, solitaire anyone ;)

Edit: the people who spent time getting Window's on Mac, was not a waste of time, rather Apple learnt something of the demand. Either way, Apple is virtually throwing bucks at Microsoft.

Edit 2: What would this mean for software? I can see Microsoft saying if you want Word, install Windows on your Mac :rolleyes:

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
mad jew said:
I can't find any mention of a fan/temperature driver. I'm sure Apple would have thought of it though.

No driver necessary, it's in the firmware.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
mad jew said:
Yeah, good point, but aren't the current Intel Macs having issues with overheating because of the lack of fan support?

I've heard a couple of reports about people booting Windows and having heat issues with OnMac.net's solution, but it was verified that they do have fan control nonetheless.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Service Pack 2 only........ :( What can you do if your PC came with XP SP1 on a CD? Nothing I guess?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Chaszmyr said:
I've heard a couple of reports about people booting Windows and having heat issues with OnMac.net's solution, but it was verified that they do have fan control nonetheless.

Yeah. I'd assume Apple would have thought of something fundamental like this anyway. I've really gotta get one of those Intel iBooks now.

MacSA said:
Service Pack 2 only........ :( What can you do if your PC came with XP SP1 on a CD? Nothing I guess?

Well, it'd be illegal to use the copy bundled with your PC. Aside from that, Apple implies anything other than a regular retail version of Windows won't work anyway. :)

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I know that there was one report of a dead Macbook, but that machine also had RAM recovered from a Mac that had been stabbed to death. MBPs seem to be overheating all by themselves, even without Windows, so I tend to chalk that problem up to the hardware.

There are some gotchas, at least in the beta. Not all hardware is supported.
Even after installling the Macintosh Drivers CD, the Apple Remote Control (IR), Apple Wireless (Bluetooth) keyboard or mouse, Apple USB Modem, MacBook Pro's sudden motion sensor, MacBook Pro's ambient light sensor, and built-in iSight camera will not function correctly when running Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.