PDA

View Full Version : Tried any other versions of Windows?

millypede
Apr 5, 2006, 02:13 PM
Has any one tried Win2k or Windows Media Centre yet?

Im curious to see how far we can get with it, as I hate WinXP with vengeance.

cwedl
Apr 5, 2006, 02:16 PM
Are you talking about windows 2k and media center using boot camp?

If you do get it installed, which I doubt you can because the program will stop you, the drivers will all be for windows XP, so nothing would work.

Ideally you would be able to switch between operating systems like fast user switching, That would be ideal for technial support!

~Shard~
Apr 5, 2006, 02:30 PM
Apple's site states this will only work with XP Home or Pro w/ SP2. Don't let that stop you from trying, but I highly doubt you'll have any success. :cool:

millypede
Apr 5, 2006, 02:51 PM
Well I will have a go just curious to see if any one else is having a go.

Airforce
Apr 5, 2006, 02:52 PM
Apple's site states this will only work with XP Home or Pro w/ SP2. Don't let that stop you from trying, but I highly doubt you'll have any success. :cool:

Windows Media Centre isn't all that different from Pro, so it should work.

CanadaRAM
Apr 5, 2006, 02:53 PM
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303572

"Why can't an upgrade version of Windows XP or a full version of Windows XP that does not include Service Pack 2 (SP2) be used for installation?

You would be required to insert your original Windows CD during installation, however there is no way to eject the first disc until after Windows installation is complete and the drivers from the Macintosh Driver CD created by Boot Camp Assistant Beta are installed. Important: Boot Camp Beta is designed to support only Windows XP Home Edition and Professional with SP2. The required Macintosh-specific drivers provided by Apple are only intended for these releases."

~Shard~
Apr 5, 2006, 02:54 PM
Windows Media Centre isn't all that different from Pro, so it should work.

It might, but if you run into driver problems you'll know why. ;)

Airforce
Apr 5, 2006, 02:55 PM
It might, but if you run into driver problems you'll know why. ;)

XP/XP pro/Media center all use the same drivers.

rynep
Apr 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
would windows server 2003 work? based on xp...

greatdevourer
Apr 5, 2006, 03:21 PM
Are you talking about windows 2k and media center using boot camp?

If you do get it installed, which I doubt you can because the program will stop you, the drivers will all be for windows XP, so nothing would work. MCE is just XP with some media centre bits thrown on top (with the CD install, if you use just the 1st disk, you get standard XP)

Airforce
Apr 5, 2006, 03:30 PM
MCE is just XP with some media centre bits thrown on top (with the CD install, if you use just the 1st disk, you get standard XP)

With the first disk, you get Windows XP Pro.

greatdevourer
Apr 5, 2006, 03:33 PM
With the first disk, you get Windows XP Pro. I knew it was one of them (having followed the stuff about MCE using onmac.net), but I couldn't remember which

AnthonyKinyon
Apr 5, 2006, 04:43 PM
Windows 2000 can use 95% of all Windows XP drivers (or more) since they us the WDM (Windows Driver Model). There is a fairly good chance Win2000 would work with BootCamp if XP will. Anyone tried it?

millypede
Apr 5, 2006, 04:46 PM
Windows 2000 can use 95% of all Windows XP drivers (or more) since they us the WDM (Windows Driver Model). There is a fairly good chance Win2000 would work with BootCamp if XP will. Anyone tried it?

Well as I dont have a Intel machine at home, im going to play with it in the morning and see what happens, If I managed to trash a iMac 20", I have another 6 in the showroom:p

lad1509
Apr 5, 2006, 04:51 PM
I have windows XP pro but with out the SP2! I bought it when they first released xp.
what can I do? do I have to buy a new copy or can I some how boot it and then install sp2.

thanks in advance

Airforce
Apr 5, 2006, 04:56 PM
I have windows XP pro but with out the SP2! I bought it when they first released xp.
what can I do? do I have to buy a new copy or can I some how boot it and then install sp2.

thanks in advance

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

jaw04005
Apr 5, 2006, 05:16 PM

Wrong. Windows XP Media Center Edition uses a different graphics driver, one approved by Microsoft for use specifically with MCE. Otherwise, the drivers are the same. I would assume it has something to do with "enhancements" when using S-Video out on your graphics card that Microsoft claims they made.

ATI used to force you to download MCE-specific drivers, however with the last few Catalyst releases they included the MCE-specific drivers in with the rest. I'm not sure what NVidia does.

If you use the plain XP driver, the Media Center application will prompt you that you are running incompatible drivers or simply freeze.

~Shard~
Apr 5, 2006, 05:21 PM

Was going to respond, but joshuawaire beat me to it. As he indicated, you are wrong. :cool:

Airforce
Apr 5, 2006, 05:33 PM
Wrong. Windows XP Media Center Edition uses a different graphics driver, one approved by Microsoft for use specifically with MCE. Otherwise, the drivers are the same. I would assume it has something to do with "enhancements" when using S-Video out on your graphics card that Microsoft claims they made.

ATI used to force you to download MCE-specific drivers, however with the last few Catalyst releases they included the MCE-specific drivers in with the rest. I'm not sure what NVidia does.

If you use the plain XP driver, the Media Center application will prompt you that you are running incompatible drivers or simply freeze.

Nvidia must include the driver in the same package as they do the regular XP drivers, because I'm using the same one from my last install.

jaw04005
Apr 5, 2006, 05:40 PM
I can confirm that Windows XP with Service Pack 1a installed successfully on my iMac.

Update: However, Service Pack 2 refuses to install (from CD or .exe file) because there is not enough free space, or so it says. Turns out, you must have a required amount of free space on your first partition (which is the partition created by Boot Camp). It looks like I'm going to have to slipstream my SP1a CD.

jaw04005
Apr 5, 2006, 05:43 PM
By the way, the reason you can't install using Windows installation discs that have multiple installs (corporate, 5-1, etc) is because there is no USB keyboard support until the Windows setup is intiated. Therefore, you can't select a menu option on boot.

timb
Apr 5, 2006, 05:58 PM
I think I figured out a way to get an Upgrade CD to work.

Take your upgrade CD, copy it to your hard disk, take a old copy of Windows CD (95,98,ME,2K) and copy it to your hard disk as well. Make a bootable DVD containing the Windows XP data, and in that DVD create a folder called "WINDOWS-OLD" that contains a copy of the old Windows data. This way when the installer starts looking for a previous installation of Windows, it should find it on the DVD, no need to switch discs.

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/WindowsXP/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html <-- Good overview on extracting a Windows XP CD, and the Boot Image.

Alternatively, you could have Boot Camp partition the drive, format it somehow, make a folder called "WINDOWS-OLD", copy the old Windows CD over to that, then start the Windows XP install CD.

I don't have the hardware to try this, but the concept seems sound. (I've done it before on normal PC based systems.)

-timb

balamw
Apr 5, 2006, 06:04 PM
I think I figured out a way to get an Upgrade CD to work.

Yeah, I posted something similar in another thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2290146#post2290146).

I used to have a Custom 98SE install CD on which I had copied the MS Office CABS to so I could install both from one disc. Get rid of all the extras and it fit just fine.

I was thinking that all you should need on the CD is the i386 folder from the XP Upgrade CD and the WIN9x folder from the 9x install CD.

There was also an old trick from the Win 9x days where you needed to create a few empty files on the partition you wanted to "upgrade" to and it would be atisfied that you had a valid version of Windows installed. I was thinking of taking that a step further and actually copying over a WINNT folder from a working system before attempting the install.

However, if 2K will install (without drivers) that should do the trick too.

EDIT: Another good link for info on creating custom XP install discs. http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/wxp/

B

lad1509
Apr 5, 2006, 06:14 PM
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

thank you, but i dont have a PC, how am i going to extract SP2 on a MAC?
thank you agian

Lancetx
Apr 5, 2006, 06:30 PM
thank you, but i dont have a PC, how am i going to extract SP2 on a MAC?
thank you agian

I have the same issue here. I don't have a PC either and I haven't seen instructions on how to slipstream SP2 using a Mac. I have an original (circa 2001) full version of Windows XP Professional on CD and have already downloaded the full XP SP2 update from Microsoft.

I'm going to try burning a DVD using Toast with the copied contents from my XP Pro CD and with the full SP2 update on there in a separate folder as well. I guess I'll just see if that works...

lad1509
Apr 5, 2006, 06:32 PM
I have the same issue here. I don't have a PC either and I haven't seen instructions on how to slipstream SP2 using a Mac. I have an original (circa 2001) full version of Windows XP Professional on CD and have already downloaded the full XP SP2 update from Microsoft.

same here, waiting with bated breath for someone to respond to me... cant wait to install XP :D

timb
Apr 5, 2006, 06:34 PM
Lace:
You can install with a Non-SP2 CD, but you will have to burn the SP2 update to a CD and install it that way, before installing the Mac drivers.

-timb

lad1509
Apr 5, 2006, 06:35 PM
Lace:
You can install with a Non-SP2 CD, but you will have to burn the SP2 update to a CD and install it that way, before installing the Mac drivers.

-timb

ok thanks.. will try that

Lancetx
Apr 5, 2006, 06:46 PM
I can confirm that Windows XP with Service Pack 1a installed successfully on my iMac.

Update: However, Service Pack 2 refuses to install (from CD or .exe file) because there is not enough free space, or so it says. Turns out, you must have a required amount of free space on your first partition (which is the partition created by Boot Camp). It looks like I'm going to have to slipstream my SP1a CD.

How large of a Windows partition did you setup when running the Boot Camp installer? Do you think if you increased it's size that the SP2 update would install?

balamw
Apr 5, 2006, 07:38 PM
I have the same issue here. I don't have a PC either and I haven't seen instructions on how to slipstream SP2 using a Mac.
The extraction and slipstreaming of SP2 into the i386 folder are failry simple mostly non-GUI operations, and sound like things that you might even be able to do under DarWine. I have been failry successful running simple apps in DarWine, but nothing that requires and installer so far.

I may try this at home just for fun, after I try installing from the upgrade CD of course.

B

andysmith
Apr 5, 2006, 07:40 PM
Anyone tried one of the latest Vista builds?

lad1509
Apr 5, 2006, 08:42 PM
Crap! didnt work for me.. I cant install SP2, it says I dont have enough space.. what should i do next?
thanks

clayj
Apr 5, 2006, 08:49 PM
Anyone tried one of the latest Vista builds?Vista 5342 does NOT work, either as a standalone installation or as an upgrade from Windows XP (I've tried this THREE times, and it has failed identically all three times). Also, Windows XP MCE 2005 SP-2 does NOT work correctly; the OS will boot, but you can't install the Macintosh Drivers CD, so you're pretty much screwed from there on.

asherman13
Apr 5, 2006, 08:54 PM
Vista 5342 does NOT work, either as a standalone installation or as an upgrade from Windows XP (I've tried this THREE times, and it has failed identically all three times). Also, Windows XP MCE 2005 SP-2 does NOT work correctly; the OS will boot, but you can't install the Macintosh Drivers CD, so you're pretty much screwed from there on.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Anybody actually booted SP1 and then installed SP2 via an upgrade disk? How much space for a partition is needed?

lad1509
Apr 5, 2006, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the confirmation.

Anybody actually booted SP1 and then installed SP2 via an upgrade disk? How much space for a partition is needed?

didnt work for me.. SP2 wont in install

helicine
Apr 5, 2006, 09:11 PM
the most reliable way of slipstreaming an XP SP2 disc is going to be by using Virtual PC... and that obviously won't work on an Intel based Mac. DarWine may work, but outside of that you are probably going to need a PC to do it.

SAN66
Apr 5, 2006, 09:40 PM
I just tried installing XP SP1A, which installed fine, but yes it states that there is not enough disk space free, regardless of the partition. Apparently I'm always 4mb short.

I'm just wondering which file system are you people using NTSF or FAT, maybe that maakes a difference? Not that I could see how.

lad1509
Apr 5, 2006, 09:46 PM
I just tried installing XP SP1A, which installed fine, but yes it states that there is not enough disk space free, regardless of the partition. Apparently I'm always 4mb short.

I'm just wondering which file system are you people using NTSF or FAT, maybe that maakes a difference? Not that I could see how.

I used NTSF... so dont know if FAT would work

KevIncognito
Apr 5, 2006, 10:06 PM
Its actually really easy to install Media Center Edition on an Intel iMac... the reason it isn't supported is solely because you would have to eject the first disk to put the second one in (the disk with the MCE files on it)... and the eject button isn't supported at that point in the Windows installation.

That said, I successfully installed Media Center during my first attempt this afternoon. All you need is a secondary external CD-Rom drive. Here are the steps:

1. Plug in your External CD-Rom drive
2. Put Disk 1 into the computer's INTERNAL CD-Rom drive
3. Start installing Windows MCE as if it were a normal XP install
4. When the installer asks for CD 2, insert it into the EXTERNAL CD-Rom drive
5. Click the button all the way on the right of the dialog asking for CD 2 (it says Browse or Find or something)
6. Change the path from D:\cmpnents\mediactr\i386 to E:\cmpnents\mediactr\i386
7. Let the install finish-- and you will boot to Media Center!
8. Install the Macintosh Drivers CD.

Works flawlessly, graphics are supported and everything.

balamw
Apr 5, 2006, 10:08 PM

Wonder if this might work for the "upgrade CD" situation as well. Might even be able to use a USB flash key if that is so...

B

kalisphoenix
Apr 5, 2006, 10:19 PM
Too bad that the Intel Macs are so far away from "standard" PCs.

It'd be interesting to run OPENSTEP ;)

TheLAD
Apr 5, 2006, 10:23 PM
Ok these did not work on my 17" iMac with 25GB (NTFS) partition...

Install from 25GB partition
Install from FW (NTFS) HD
Install from USB (NTFS) HD
Install from CD
Install from DVD
Install from FW (NTFS) HD (Using a folder on that drive)
Install from USB (NTFS) HD (Using a folder on that drive)

kainjow
Apr 5, 2006, 10:37 PM

Ahh I get that error to! It's driving me insane!! :(

SAN66
Apr 6, 2006, 06:45 AM
Its actually really easy to install Media Center Edition on an Intel iMac... the reason it isn't supported is solely because you would have to eject the first disk to put the second one in (the disk with the MCE files on it)... and the eject button isn't supported at that point in the Windows installation.

That said, I successfully installed Media Center during my first attempt this afternoon. All you need is a secondary external CD-Rom drive. Here are the steps:

2. Put Disk 1 into the computer's INTERNAL CD-Rom drive
3. Start installing Windows MCE as if it were a normal XP install
4. When the installer asks for CD 2, insert it into the EXTERNAL CD-Rom drive
5. Click the button all the way on the right of the dialog asking for CD 2 (it says Browse or Find or something)
6. Change the path from D:\cmpnents\mediactr\i386 to E:\cmpnents\mediactr\i386
7. Let the install finish-- and you will boot to Media Center!
8. Install the Macintosh Drivers CD.

Works flawlessly, graphics are supported and everything.

The other option people could try is burning both Media Center CD's to one DVD. If this works, that should work fine as well.

Poff
Apr 6, 2006, 02:29 PM
Hmm.. I guess there's no hope getting win98 to work with boot-camp? It's the only version of windows I have laying around. Don't want to spend $$ on windows XP.. :eek:

shortys408
Apr 6, 2006, 04:19 PM
when it asked for a second cd i just skipped it. can I go back and install it now?