PDA

View Full Version : What is the Boot Camp XP GFX performance like?

monkeyandy
Apr 5, 2006, 02:30 PM
Does anyone have any idea what the GFX performance is like in XP using bootcamp? Anyone tried running any games yet?

Laslo Panaflex
Apr 5, 2006, 02:41 PM
I am installing wow on a 1.8 imac right now, I will let you know how it runs when I am done updating.

Demon Hunter
Apr 5, 2006, 02:44 PM
What if it's faster than OS X?

What if Blizzard stops releasing for OS X?

Is that game even Universal yet?

:confused:

Laslo Panaflex
Apr 5, 2006, 02:45 PM
It will be faster than OS X.

Not they won't stop releasing it on OS X

Yes, it is universal.

monkeyandy
Apr 5, 2006, 02:46 PM
I am installing wow on a 1.8 imac right now, I will let you know how it runs when I am done updating.

Cheers! Waiting with baited breath! :eek:

friedymeister69
Apr 5, 2006, 02:50 PM
Do you have to format the drive before you do it or can you keep your current installation of OSX?

Laslo Panaflex
Apr 5, 2006, 02:53 PM
Do you have to format the drive before you do it or can you keep your current installation of OSX?

No need to reformat, boot camp has a partition resizer, that changes the size of your OS X partition and makes a windows one, without damaging any data.

Of course, it is a good idea to back up stuff anyways.:)

mmmcheese
Apr 5, 2006, 04:08 PM
If Apple makes it really easy to run both OSX and Windows on the same hardware (which they seem to be doing), it might mean that Apple will get really serious about optimizing the OpenGL portion of the OS for performance since it will be much easier to compare OSX and Windows versions of games. It will look bad if Windows OpenGL titles perform much faster than OSX OpenGL titles.

Demon Hunter
Apr 5, 2006, 04:20 PM
If Apple makes it really easy to run both OSX and Windows on the same hardware (which they seem to be doing), it might mean that Apple will get really serious about optimizing the OpenGL portion of the OS for performance since it will be much easier to compare OSX and Windows versions of games. It will look bad if Windows OpenGL titles perform much faster than OSX OpenGL titles.

Yeah, amen to that.

nRoth
Apr 5, 2006, 05:33 PM
Anyone else tried hl2 or cs:s, I got a memory read error when loading into cs:s menu.

aussie_geek
Apr 5, 2006, 05:49 PM
anyone with game performance opinions please post up. if they are good, i'll be buying an iMac.

aussie_geek

Harbinger
Apr 5, 2006, 06:57 PM
anyone with game performance opinions please post up. if they are good, i'll be buying an iMac.

aussie_geek

I installed HL2 and it runs like a champ! Initial load was a little slow but in game smooth as butter! Settings on high using widescreen mode.

MacBook Pro 2 GHz w/ 2 GB ram and ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB VRAM.

Sweet! :D

Peace
Apr 5, 2006, 07:03 PM
I've installed the dual boot using Apple's BootCamp and now have a fully functional XP!!

Graphics are typical for a PC with an ATI X1600 128megs VRAM video card..I have the iMac 17" 1.83 Dual-Core..

Nice little bootloader too!! switches seemlessly..

Only game I've installed so far..just to test...was Flight Simulator and it flies like a champ..

I'll put up a couple screenshots a little later..

All I've got to say is WAY TO GO STEVE!

Harbinger
Apr 5, 2006, 07:07 PM
Lol here is an email I just sent to the rest of the guys (and gal) in our IT dept. My MacBook Pro is my "work" laptop. We need to test these things...

"HL2 runs sweet on the MacBook Pro :) Our gaming dreams have finally been answered! All settings on high in widescreen. This is a Direct X game so itís all gaming goodness. The Open GL games Iím sure will also be just fine.

w00t

Ah yeah from a professional standpoint Iím pretty sure the MS productivity suite most likely will also run well...."

eevor
Apr 5, 2006, 07:16 PM
Are you kidding me?

Let me get this straight...are you saying...Half Life 2 runs *well* on a Macbook Pro/iMac...

Does that mean that any recent PC game will now run on Apple Intel Macs?

In my opinion, the only reason to give Mac users an XP platform was for things like AutoCAD and specific architectural programs/accounting programs, and the rest are to finally get the games onto the mac.

Someone set me straight before I lose my mind.

Cantab
Apr 5, 2006, 07:16 PM
If people could post gfx benchmarks (e.g. 3DMark05 results), I and many others would greatly appreciate it.

3DMark05 can be downloaded here (http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark05.shtml).

Harbinger
Apr 5, 2006, 07:20 PM
If people could post gfx benchmarks (e.g. 3DMark05 results), I and many others would greatly appreciate it.

3DMark05 can be downloaded here (http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark05.shtml).

Downloading it now. XP partition in in Fat32 so I can download in OS X and virus scan then copy it to my Windows desktop. I'll post the benchmark score when I have it.

asherman13
Apr 5, 2006, 07:29 PM

This thread should help. :)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2290811

Harbinger
Apr 5, 2006, 07:54 PM

Crashed my MacBook Pro twice. Same spot just after the first blimp scene, the one after that. It starts the test and crashes Windows, does a chkdsk on reboot. Anyone know what test that is?

alienex
Apr 6, 2006, 12:15 AM
any updates?

Kingsly
Apr 6, 2006, 02:29 AM
I just finished with the Splinter Cell: Chaos theory demo... my jaw is still on the floor.

Mord
Apr 6, 2006, 02:43 AM
Are you kidding me?

Let me get this straight...are you saying...Half Life 2 runs *well* on a Macbook Pro/iMac...

Does that mean that any recent PC game will now run on Apple Intel Macs?

In my opinion, the only reason to give Mac users an XP platform was for things like AutoCAD and specific architectural programs/accounting programs, and the rest are to finally get the games onto the mac.

being a nazi is bad. :cool:

MacsRgr8
Apr 6, 2006, 02:44 AM
LOL

Installed EA Sports F1 '99-'02 on my Mac mini Core Duo 1 GB RAM.
I have this hooked up to my 26" LCD TV (1280 x 768 rez), and it is simply gr8!!!

All settings max (not too surprizing as this game is a couple of years old), but it looks awesome!

Man, this is sooo cool!! :cool:

glassbathroom
Apr 6, 2006, 04:24 AM
Hi guys,

Any chance someone could run Cinebench on XP on an intel mac? It would be interesting to see how it compares to running it in OSX.

Available to download from - http://www.cinebench.com/

Thanks

Glassbathroom

Mord
Apr 6, 2006, 04:40 AM
www.xlr8yourmac.com has cin results.

bimboles
Apr 6, 2006, 06:35 AM
I got 2837 on 3dMark 05 with default settings on my MBP 2ghz with 1gb RAM.

digitaldave
Apr 6, 2006, 09:26 AM
Only game I've installed so far..just to test...was Flight Simulator and it flies like a champ..

I'll put up a couple screenshots a little later..

You just made my day :). What sort of fps are you getting with something like the default flight (Cessna at KSEA)? And how is it with FSAA?

SilversunStreak
Apr 6, 2006, 11:43 AM
Just wondering. If anyone somehow has the mac and pc versions of Sims 2 or some title with graphics of that calibur coould they test both and see which runs better?? I think both are OpenGl. Just a thought :rolleyes:

Peace
Apr 6, 2006, 12:03 PM
You just made my day :). What sort of fps are you getting with something like the default flight (Cessna at KSEA)? And how is it with FSAA?

Keep in mind I was running Flight Sim 2002..
I had it at max framerate with all the glitter and it "just worked"

digitaldave
Apr 6, 2006, 01:12 PM
Keep in mind I was running Flight Sim 2002..
I had it at max framerate with all the glitter and it "just worked"

No problems, it's just good to know that we can now run WinXP games (and other applications of course!) on our Apple hardware :)

MacRumorUser
Apr 6, 2006, 01:16 PM
So far I've installed FEAR, HL2 (runs max settings at 1680x1050) no AA, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3

All great......

Thats with the imac in my sig

Peace
Apr 6, 2006, 01:53 PM
Here's a pic of my 20" Cinema Display that has Flight Simulator on it while the iMac has a browser open :

MacsRgr8
Apr 6, 2006, 02:02 PM
So far I've installed FEAR, HL2 (runs max settings at 1680x1050) no AA, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3

All great......

Thats with the imac in my sig

I must say I am VERY impressed!

Care to do the Counter Strike time demo, and post the fps counted, please?
:)

MacRumorUser
Apr 6, 2006, 02:09 PM
Will do :)

I'm just updating the CounterStrike & Halflife 2 deathmatch, will post results once it's done....

:D :D :D

Add Guild Wars,
WOW,
Doom 3 to that list too....