PDA

View Full Version : Half Life 2 runs great :) iMac...

mulletman13
Apr 5, 2006, 06:13 PM
Hey all,

Just thought I'd post a topic to reassure everybody that it runs perfectly fine on a 17" iMac at 1440 x 900.

The video stress test in CS:S runs at a respectable 102 fps.

I pose this question to everybody though...

I am not familiar with gaming on Windows anymore, its been about 5 years. I'm looking for a program that will let me use my Xbox 360 wired controller with CS:S and HL-2.

I've tried something with "Pinnacle" in the title, but it isn't doing too good of a job.

As for mouse and keyboard... I know more control, blah blah, but I play better with a gamepad :)

Thanks!

asherman13
Apr 5, 2006, 06:18 PM
Hey all,

Just thought I'd post a topic to reassure everybody that it runs perfectly fine on a 17" iMac at 1440 x 900.

Thank you!!!!!! Can you post the iMac's specs?

Kingsly
Apr 5, 2006, 06:28 PM
Hey all,

Woot! *rushes to circuit city to binge on games*

BillHarrison
Apr 5, 2006, 06:32 PM
Hey all,

I am not familiar with gaming on Windows anymore, its been about 5 years. I'm looking for a program that will let me use my Xbox 360 wired controller with CS:S and HL-2.

I've tried something with "Pinnacle" in the title, but it isn't doing too good of a job.

As for mouse and keyboard... I know more control, blah blah, but I play better with a gamepad :)

Thanks!

I am under the impression that the xbox 360 wired controller works out of the box with windows, and includes a driver cd, when purchased by itself. I only have wireless controllers on my 360, but a quick search at microsoft yielded this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mouseandkeyboard/DownloadResult.aspx?prod=pk_xbox_cont&os=xp&lang=en&driverVersion=Download%20XBox%20360%20Controller%20for%20Windows

And the first option is the driver for windows xp for the 360 usb controller.

Happy gaming!

mulletman13
Apr 5, 2006, 06:36 PM
'ello all,

Thanks for linking to the driver, but you are right -- it is noticed off the bat and installs properly.

The problem is just that HL2 has no options in it to map joystick/gamepad to the keys... so I'm looking for an addon or plugin that will let me do this.

As for the specs on my machine, everything is standard:

160gb hdd
128mb x1600
17" LCD
512mb RAM

It looks great and doesn't get the fans working at all :)

aussie_geek
Apr 5, 2006, 06:38 PM
good stuff!!

okay - i am REALLY considering buying an imac. now....:eek: :eek: :eek: :cool: :D

aussie_geek

dmw007
Apr 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
Hey all,

Thanks for the performance update mulletman13. :) Its nice to hear real world reports on the performance of Apple's computers.

asherman13
Apr 5, 2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the performance update mulletman13. :) Its nice to hear real world reports on the performance of Apple's computers.

Indeed. Just finished updating the firmware; XP SP2 and HL2, here I come!

MacRumorUser
Apr 5, 2006, 06:58 PM
Well done apple. BOOT CAMP works a treat. I have installed windows within an hour & have office, div x, firefox etc... all up and running

GREAT! Just what the doctor ordered. I wonder what will happen to onmac.net project now? There isn't any need for it.

asherman13
Apr 5, 2006, 07:08 PM
Question: (this makes me look like such a Mac user...I'm glad that I am) how much HDD space does HL:2 and CS:S (maybe CS:CZ too) take up? I'm partitioning just for those games, so how big should I make my Windows partition?

I'm thinking 8 GB should be okay...right?

EDIT: Oh, and what steps will I need to take to make everything ready to install all that, i.e. DirectX?

Takumi
Apr 5, 2006, 07:10 PM
I wonder what will happen to onmac.net project now? There isn't any need for it.

It would seem that the success of that project forced apple's hand to release an offiial dual boot software.

Takumi

Peace
Apr 5, 2006, 07:11 PM
I made a 50 gig partition for XP only because I have a lot of old .avi files that can only be encoded using windows movie maker to make them .wmv files..Which should then play fine in Quicktime..

clykins90
Apr 5, 2006, 07:22 PM
Age of Empires III runs fantastic on a base iMac core duo 17" 1.67. The settings are not quite all the way up, but it still looks frickin amazing! Battlefront II works great, Battlefield 2 works great, HL2 works great...dang im lovin this!:D :D :D

Phat_Pat
Apr 5, 2006, 07:30 PM
need... intel.... powerPC..... ahhhhhhhh

dmw007
Apr 5, 2006, 07:31 PM
Indeed. Just finished updating the firmware; XP SP2 and HL2, here I come!

Sounds cool. :)

Oh, how I wish that my Mac could run Boot Camp. :rolleyes: :)

Harbinger
Apr 5, 2006, 07:51 PM
HL2 does run great. MacBook Pro w/2 GB ram and the 256 MB Radeon. Warning! The 3D mark 05 crashed my Mac twice.

Peace
Apr 5, 2006, 08:13 PM
Age of Empires III runs fantastic on a base iMac core duo 17" 1.67. The settings are not quite all the way up, but it still looks frickin amazing! Battlefront II works great, Battlefield 2 works great, HL2 works great...dang im lovin this!:D :D :D

You have an Intel iMac 1.83 core duo not a 1.67..
Apple doesn't have a iMac 17" 1.67 ;)

LimeiBook86
Apr 5, 2006, 08:36 PM
I have the iMac Core Duo 2.0 with the 256mb of VRAM and 2gb of RAM, this thing plays the game beautifuly. No lag, nothing, it runs like butter! I did the Direct X 9.0c December 2005 update (free via Microsoft.com - no validation or Windows Genuine check needed so you can use FireFox) and it installed fine, no errors, and the games look great. You can download it here:

DirectX End-User Runtimes (December 2005) Full Download (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=3f2828fa-0e3c-4837-afc0-6c67dcaa54bf&displaylang=en)

Day of Defeat Source and Counter-Strike Source run the same, they run great, this is fantastic. I am now installing Star Wars Battlefront II, after that I'll install Guild Wars, LEGO Star Wars, and when I find the disc, Battfield 2. This is a very good day to be a Intel Mac Gamer ;)

EDIT: Also I went to install Skype and I got a bluescreen of death, I restarted and deleted the folder and everything's fine, just a word of caution.

Takumi
Apr 5, 2006, 08:42 PM
EDIT: Also I went to install Skype and I got a bluescreen of death, I restarted and deleted the folder and everything's fine, just a word of caution.
Early reports suggest that you are the first to experience the dreaded BSOD on a mac:p

Takumi

LimeiBook86
Apr 5, 2006, 08:43 PM
Early reports suggest that you are the first to experience the dreaded BSOD on a mac:p

Takumi
Nah I saw a screenshot of it on a MacBook Pro before I even got started...off to play Star Wars Battlefront II! :D

EDIT: Star Wars Battlefront II runs perfectly, Guild Wars runs perfectly...with everything on max settings with Anti-Aliasing on 4x this rules! :D

mulletman13
Apr 5, 2006, 09:58 PM
Question: (this makes me look like such a Mac user...I'm glad that I am) how much HDD space does HL:2 and CS:S (maybe CS:CZ too) take up? I'm partitioning just for those games, so how big should I make my Windows partition?

EDIT: Oh, and what steps will I need to take to make everything ready to install all that, i.e. DirectX?

Yea dude, 8 gb should be enough... I'd go ten to be safe for future updates or something.

Also... what is CS:CZ? I'll google it but post it here too :)

Young Jobs
Apr 5, 2006, 10:03 PM
Hey all,

Thanks!

thats pretty tyte.... i was wonderin how steam games would run and then i found this post!

kainjow
Apr 5, 2006, 10:23 PM
Awesome, I'm glad CS:S works great on the iMacs. Anyone installed it on a MBP?

I'm installing CS:S on my Mac mini Core Solo :P haha it'll probably run like crap :)

kainjow
Apr 5, 2006, 10:24 PM
Yea dude, 8 gb should be enough... I'd go ten to be safe for future updates or something.

Also... what is CS:CZ? I'll google it but post it here too :)
Condition Zero. Basically a 1 player version of CS 1.6. It sucked :)

RichCoder
Apr 5, 2006, 10:31 PM

I think if you use macdrive software you will be able to install it to your OSX partition in case you run out of space. Actually I would save most of my documents on my OSX drive from windows so I could access them when I rebooted into OSX.

-rich

LimeiBook86
Apr 5, 2006, 10:57 PM
I think if you use macdrive software you will be able to install it to your OSX partition in case you run out of space. Actually I would save most of my documents on my OSX drive from windows so I could access them when I rebooted into OSX.

-rich
As for the opposite when you restart into Mac OS X you'll see the Windows volume labeled "Untitled" but if you formated it in NTSF you can't modify it in Mac OS X you can only read it. However, if you formated your Windows drive in FAT32 format than Mac OS X can modify Windows.

I hooked up a USB 2.0 HD and I installed a lot of games on there, it works fine for me. :)

UPDATE:Just playing some CS I got over 104 FPS, here's a screenshot when it was at 99. This is exciting...remember all settings are full blast (except HDR, I don't think the map was HDR even though I had it off)

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/cs-screenshot-limeibook86.jpg

.dan
Apr 6, 2006, 08:03 AM
http://www.dserv.org/mirror/mbp-css-play.avi quick video of CS: Source. I didn't make it since I don't have an MBP so don't ask me any questions :p

theonlyrealj
Apr 6, 2006, 02:11 PM
I am really surprised at how well CS:Source runs on this notebook. I get an average of 80 fps.

I always longed for this day!

LimeiBook86
Apr 6, 2006, 04:20 PM
As a side note I also just installed Sonic Adventure DX for Windows on the iMac. It runs beautifully, the only thing is it doesn't have any native widescreen resolutions so it'll stretch it out but it's not too bad. Maybe we should have a Gaming on Boot Camp section or something? Seems like a good idea to me since there will be a lot of questions and results :)

asherman13
Apr 7, 2006, 02:25 AM
Can I get a little help (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2295571)?

Uma888
Apr 7, 2006, 07:26 AM
As for the opposite when you restart into Mac OS X you'll see the Windows volume labeled "Untitled" but if you formated it in NTSF you can't modify it in Mac OS X you can only read it. However, if you formated your Windows drive in FAT32 format than Mac OS X can modify Windows.

I hooked up a USB 2.0 HD and I installed a lot of games on there, it works fine for me. :)

UPDATE:Just playing some CS I got over 104 FPS, here's a screenshot when it was at 99. This is exciting...remember all settings are full blast (except HDR, I don't think the map was HDR even though I had it off)

http://homepage.mac.com/ibook238/.Pictures/cs-screenshot-limeibook86.jpg

Can u post a screenshot of the advanced video settings please :p , and de_nuke and cs_malitia are the only ones at the moment that have HDR

If you can come to this ip: 212.187.247.30:27015 (100 tick) < my server

EDIT: does the inbuilt mic work?

bugfaceuk
Apr 7, 2006, 08:05 AM
Can u post a screenshot of the advanced video settings please :p , and de_nuke and cs_malitia are the only ones at the moment that have HDR

Yes HDR will push it... But those max settings set it ahead of my "only used for gaming" PC... so it's looking pretty positive.

This is a little cheeky, but could you post how much space your Steam folding is taking? I only really want to install CS:S, HL2, and Civ IV.... and want to minimize the size of my partition when I make it :-)

Uma888
Apr 7, 2006, 03:00 PM
Yes HDR will push it... But those max settings set it ahead of my "only used for gaming" PC... so it's looking pretty positive.

This is a little cheeky, but could you post how much space your Steam folding is taking? I only really want to install CS:S, HL2, and Civ IV.... and want to minimize the size of my partition when I make it :-)

^^

I have an AMD 2800 (2.1 GHZ) + 2gb + nVidia 6800 Ultra i get about 60fps, the macbook blows my pc out the water

I dont have a mac book pro, but on my windows box, my steam takes 8gb, Thats JUST counter-Strike:Source + A load of custom maps.

Your looking at 15 gb for all those

Phrozen13
Apr 12, 2006, 03:17 PM
OK i have a MBP 2.0ghz and i oc'ed the card to 470/470 i am using th omega drivers and that, how come i only get around 40fps in game in some spots where theres nothing going on i get 100+. Like what settings do i need or do i need a different driver? Any help would be great thx!!

Harbinger
Apr 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
If you mean you're only getting 40 FPS while you're fragging and 100 FPS when you're staring at a wall or just moving around that's perfectly normal.

kainjow
Apr 12, 2006, 08:01 PM
I would like to know if that works too. Would make the iMac so much sweeter for online gaming.

MacRumorsReader
Apr 15, 2006, 02:49 AM
So I played home HL2. Wow. What a game. What a rush.

MBP 2.16 2.0 7200

There was some instances where if I spun around real quick I'd get some tearing. I check the settings and everything auto set to "High" and such.

Can't talk now, more games to play.

Kingsly
Apr 15, 2006, 06:12 PM
Games I have tried:
Battelfield 2
Splinter Cell: Chaos theory
Full spectrum warrior: Ten Hammers
Brothers in arms: earned in blood

I am waiting for my copy of HL 2 (neighbor works for EA... any game for $10!! :D )
All the games mentioned are at max settings and I am blown away by the framerates.

P.S. Macrumors should have its very own Windows on a Mac CS:S clan!

Mav451
Apr 15, 2006, 09:31 PM
^^

I have an AMD 2800 (2.1 GHZ) + 2gb + nVidia 6800 Ultra i get about 60fps, the macbook blows my pc out the water

I dont have a mac book pro, but on my windows box, my steam takes 8gb, Thats JUST counter-Strike:Source + A load of custom maps.

Your looking at 15 gb for all those

Dude you're CPU-limited like crazy =(
It takes at least 2.2-2.4Ghz A64 to let the 6800Ultra stretch its legs.

Also, I"m wondering what version of the x1600 are in the iMac CDs. Pro or XT?
Since Pro's run at 500/390 and XT's at 590/690

Josh396
Apr 15, 2006, 09:52 PM
Also, I"m wondering what version of the x1600 are in the iMac CDs. Pro or XT?
Since Pro's run at 500/390 and XT's at 590/690
From what I've read neither. I've heard it's the mobility version clocked around 400/400 or so.

steelfist
Apr 16, 2006, 01:02 AM
100 fps? that's high for a mac user like me :p

MacRumorUser
Apr 16, 2006, 09:10 AM
From what I've read neither. I've heard it's the mobility version clocked around 400/400 or so.

Yep but you can clock it alot higher....

skillz1318
Apr 16, 2006, 09:32 AM
Just bought counter strike source...runs amazing on my macbook pro...and f.e.a.r also runs maxed out as well, exept a few video card settings are lowered...i just used the automatic config....

im on a 1.83 macbook pro with 1.5gb ram and 100gb 7200rpm hd.....

windows on mac is awesome...ive been out of pc gaming for a while, i cant believe the size of games....2 of them took up close to 8gb.....

Kingsly
Apr 16, 2006, 11:56 AM
windows on mac is awesome...ive been out of pc gaming for a while, i cant believe the size of games....2 of them took up close to 8gb.....
Tell me about it! I partitioned my Windows HD based on the idea that XPee games (like mac ones) were around 2GB. No. I have a total of two games on my 10GB partition and i am out of space!!

SC68Cal
May 1, 2006, 11:57 AM
For the iMac Half Life 2 video, did any of you use the overclocking tool, or is that performance out of the box?

LimeiBook86
May 11, 2006, 12:11 PM

Hey sorry for the long delay. I'll test it out tonight, I doubt if the mic would work since I think it's part of the iSight but, I'll test it out. I know Skype doesn't work...anyone find away around this? Skype would be a nice alternative to the in-game voice chat. I get a BSOD when installing it though :eek:...but, that's to be expected ;) :D

Killian
May 13, 2006, 06:32 PM
BootCamp has to be one of the best things Mac has done!! I'm a new Mac user (only had Mac for about three weeks!) and I was really starting to miss windows gaming until BootCamp!!! Macs are way better than PCs!!:D :D

MacRumorsReader
May 14, 2006, 12:23 PM
Okay so I just finished HL2. I played the bulk of it on two different weekends: Three hours last saturday and :ahem: eleven hours (straight) from Friday evening to Saturday morning.

I did okay. The lack of sleep, anyway. I totally tore up he game.

But aside from the aesthetics/graphics, I wasn't overly blown away by the game play, AI or story line. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game but I don't get the hype.

My favorite levels were Ravehholm and Follow Freeman. The one level that could've been shortened, by at least half was Our Benefactors. Was there really a point to hoping into a steel cage and being transported around for a long, long time, twice

So finish up folks. I hear there is an expansion coming, someday.

ReanimationLP
May 17, 2006, 02:19 AM
To use the Xbox 360 controller, either get the MS drivers, which are s***, or download XBCD and the Xbox360 drivers for XBCD, which is much, much better.

truz
May 17, 2006, 03:20 AM
Mic does work on CS and other games as well ;) video does not tho, I tested it on camfrog.. FYI, camfrog will be coming to mac here shortly.. UB too!

Core Trio
May 17, 2006, 08:59 AM
I dont have an intel mac now but I plan too in the not-so-distant future. I plan on installing bootcamp for a few games and really nothing more, but I was wondering if the games could be installed on an external HD (its FW400/800 and USB2.0) and played from there so I wont have to set aside as much space for windows. Ofcourse I wouldnt do this if it were to compromise the quality of the games.

mode
May 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Killian
May 17, 2006, 01:57 PM
I can't see there being a problem with that. When I used a Windows PC I had an external hard drive which I ran games from. I stored them on the external so I could just plug it into my notebook and not have to install everything twice!

absurdio
May 26, 2006, 03:26 AM
Okay so I just finished HL2. I played the bulk of it on two different weekends: Three hours last saturday and :ahem: eleven hours (straight) from Friday evening to Saturday morning.

I did okay. The lack of sleep, anyway. I totally tore up he game.

But aside from the aesthetics/graphics, I wasn't overly blown away by the game play, AI or story line. Don't get me wrong, it was a good game but I don't get the hype.

My favorite levels were Ravehholm and Follow Freeman. The one level that could've been shortened, by at least half was Our Benefactors. Was there really a point to hoping into a steel cage and being transported around for a long, long time, twice

So finish up folks. I hear there is an expansion coming, someday.

But what's your appraisal of how it performs on your system? And what IS your system?

patachon
Jun 23, 2008, 04:24 AM
Tired of fighting, have a break, kill and kill again with only two clicks on Madnessmod
Download it June 24th on: www.madnessmod.fr.gd:D