Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Apple said:
My Windows XP volume appears on the desktop when I'm started up in Mac OS X, but I can't rename it or copy files to it.

If the Windows volume was formatted using NTFS, Mac OS X can read it but not write files to it or rename it.

Does this mean that as long as you format the Windows partition using FAT you can access your Windows files in OS X? What about vice-versa?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
baby duck monge said:
Does this mean that as long as you format the Windows partition using FAT you can access your Windows files in OS X? What about vice-versa?

Windows won't recgonize the OS X drive.It won't even show up..

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
Peace said:

But the OS X drive will let you access the Windows files (as long as you format in FAT)? Because if this is true, you just have to plan ahead a bit better before restarts, but at least you can get to your stuff.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
Peace said:

not without macdrive.

r.

been using it in the previous xp onmac solution and it worked like a charm.

suntzu

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
Actually I think you can format as NTFS but you can only Read from the Windows XP partition. Basically, you can't edit files or delete them.

Using FAT32 lets you do everything but I think there's a cap on how big your partition can be (32GB I think).

cyberddot

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2003
in a forest
Pardon while I reveal my ignorance regarding the crossover compatibility, since I haven't attempted any sharing between platforms, but wouldn't a 2Gig flashdrive, or the like, provide a recognized shared space for both OS's?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
suntzu said:
Actually I think you can format as NTFS but you can only Read from the Windows XP partition. Basically, you can't edit files or delete them.

Using FAT32 lets you do everything but I think there's a cap on how big your partition can be (32GB I think).

I made a 50GB partition for XP using FAT32

[edit] edit that..It's NTFS [/edit]

suntzu

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2003
cyberddot said:
Pardon while I reveal my ignorance regarding the crossover compatibility, since I haven't attempted any sharing between platforms, but wouldn't a 2Gig flashdrive, or the like, provide a recognized shared space for both OS's?

Yes, that would work well. Just format the drive in Windows XP and you're set. It's also handy to have you're files with you so double bonus! :D

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
So if I got an Intel Mac and formatted a 30gig section for XP in FAT using boot camp, I could manipulate all my files from anywhere if I had macdrive?

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
yes, i do it all the time. icon previews even work, from xp of my mac partition.

though i am hesitant to do some things, like use picassa across partitions. though i'll probably try it though...

picassa is google's iphoto type thingie. it doesn't keep a library as much as iphoto does, it just keeps refrences.

r.

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
whyrichard said:
yes, i do it all the time. icon previews even work, from xp of my mac partition.

though i am hesitant to do some things, like use picassa across partitions. though i'll probably try it though...

picassa is google's iphoto type thingie. it doesn't keep a library as much as iphoto does, it just keeps refrences.

r.

Thanks a lot. That is so good to know... and another reason that they need to hurry up and come out with those Intel iBooks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.