PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 2 Works!!!

notsane
Apr 5, 2006, 09:46 PM
I am running 1024x768 everthing medium no aa 100% view distance. Flying helis really smooth. I would say it is about equal to my (desktop) p4 3ghz, 2gb ram and 6800 gs (256mb).

My rig
Dual 1.83 Macbook Pro
x1600 128mb
80gb 5400rpm
2gb OWC ram (matched pair)
Win XP Pro

Mike:)

The Senator
Apr 5, 2006, 10:10 PM
does it work online

canyonblue737
Apr 5, 2006, 10:38 PM
does it work online

heck yeah it does! i was running it 1680x1050 (forced via command line since the game doesn't officially support widescreen res) with 2x AA and settings to high... worked like a charm.

dmw007
Apr 5, 2006, 10:41 PM
I am running 1024x768 everthing medium no aa 100% view distance. Flying helis really smooth. I would say it is about equal to my (desktop) p4 3ghz, 2gb ram and 6800 gs (256mb).

My rig
Dual 1.83 Macbook Pro
x1600 128mb
80gb 5400rpm
2gb OWC ram (matched pair)
Win XP Pro

Mike:)

Good to hear that everything is working good gaming wise on your MacBook running Boot Camp/XP Pro. :)

dmw007
Apr 5, 2006, 10:46 PM
heck yeah it does! i was running it 1680x1050 (forced via command line since the game doesn't officially support widescreen res) with 2x AA and settings to high... worked like a charm.

Good to know this as well. :) Keep on enjoying your Windows only games on your MacBook Pro (how ironic is that- PC games on a Mac). :)

Felldownthewell
Apr 5, 2006, 10:54 PM
How do you force it into WS?

notsane
Apr 6, 2006, 12:40 AM
I favor framerates over looks (for flying), but I will try higher res next.

yoda13
Apr 6, 2006, 12:53 AM
Well, looks like the one game that always tempted me to get a pc for gaming may eventually make me get a Intel Mac for gaming. It isn't this game, but if this one works, so will the one I want...:cool:

Piarco
Apr 6, 2006, 04:24 AM
Well, looks like the one game that always tempted me to get a pc for gaming may eventually make me get a Intel Mac for gaming. It isn't this game, but if this one works, so will the one I want...:cool:

Ditto. In fact I was half way into a build, just hadn't gotten around to putting in the gfx, cpu or mem. Now I can sell off the components!

sam-i-am
Apr 6, 2006, 03:59 PM
I played it all night last night - runs better then on my desktop I practically built for it.

The only problem is VOIP. Since the drivers do not support routing the audio and mic to a headset you're stuck using the speakers and built-in mic. This can become problematic as the game sound bleeds heavily back into the speakers.

Other then that it's awesome. Oh, and there is no way to hit page up to accept order, but thats not a huge deal.

Yea how do you force that resolution?

Eevee
Apr 6, 2006, 04:03 PM
Wow, this is exciting news! Has anyone tried other games? Just curious...

Last night I was playing halo online and met a player named "Macbook XP"

This is really exciting!

crazycat
Apr 6, 2006, 04:52 PM
Here are some pics i took of my iMac playing BF2, the pics are not so great bec i took them with my camera phone.

crazycat
Apr 6, 2006, 04:54 PM
Movie:

Lopez.T.H.
Apr 6, 2006, 08:46 PM
OH HELL YES!!!!! Damn, Mac OSX here I come! Im gonna dump my PC and buy a high end MacBook Pro with an external drive!

Lopez.T.H.
Apr 6, 2006, 08:49 PM
Here are some pics i took of my iMac playing BF2, the pics are not so great bec i took them with my camera phone.

How does BattleField 2 run on the MacBook Pro? That is the major selling point for me.

Peace
Apr 6, 2006, 08:53 PM
How does BattleField 2 run on the MacBook Pro? That is the major selling point for me.

Any game will run pretty much the same on both the MacBook Pro and the iMac since both are almost the same thing..

crazycat
Apr 7, 2006, 01:15 AM

I would say my MBP will run faster since its has a 256 video card insted of a 128 on my iMac.

/dev/toaster
Apr 7, 2006, 04:48 AM
oh wow, I can't belive I didn't think of it before. I actually bought BF2 when it first came out. I couldn't run it on my workstation or laptop since it didn't have enough video ram. Needless to say, I put it in my desk and forgot about it. I was really annoyed about it, and couldn't afford the upgrade at the time.

Months later, I am sitting here with a MBP and now I can't wait to install XP to try it. I was debaiting if I was gonna do it for CS, but I only play that once in a blue moon (which I can still use my old laptop for). Man, this is perfect, gonna do it tomorrow :D

kntgsp
Apr 7, 2006, 11:30 AM
256mb vram
7200 rpm drive
1.5 gb ram.

Think I'd be able to run it at max settings?

Thanks

BlizzardBomb
Apr 7, 2006, 12:01 PM
I would say my MBP will run faster since its has a 256 video card insted of a 128 on my iMac.

But it has a mobility chip so it would still be pretty much on par.

kntgsp
Apr 7, 2006, 12:48 PM
But it has a mobility chip so it would still be pretty much on par.

Irrelevant. The Intel iMacs also have the mobility chip. They are identical in construction/pipelines.

notsane
Apr 7, 2006, 12:59 PM
The main thing that determines gaming performace is the gpu (generation, clockspeed, ram speed, # shaders and pipes), not the amount of video ram. Unless you want to load the maxiumum sized textures, you don't need 256 for most games. (doom 3 and quake 4 benefit the most). It is a good move to future proof yourself to get the more expensive macbook (if you have the money, and you want to play games). I need this thing for FCP (which runs as well as my dual 2ghz g5 BTW). gaming is just a nice bonus for me.

This is a mid-range gpu, so don't expect to crank the res up and have a playable framerate (this is not a 7900gtx!).

Has it got game? Hell yes!

Is it an SLI rig? Not really.

Here are some benchmarks!

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=188

MIKE

MacsomJRR
Apr 7, 2006, 01:05 PM
256mb vram
7200 rpm drive
1.5 gb ram.

Think I'd be able to run it at max settings?

Thanks

Is this a trick question? I'm on a 2.0 with a 256 and it runs smooth as silk.

Kingsly
Apr 7, 2006, 01:14 PM
I have been glued to my BF2 demo all day. Its soo ********* sweet.
I cant believe all the gaming bliss I have been missing out on!
Thankfully, my neighbor is a programmer for EA, and I can get any game for $10. Happiness: priceless :D

godspeed
Apr 8, 2006, 11:41 AM
Did you guys need to install the update to get it to work? Or did you only need to install the original game?

I tried to install but the game just hangs and the screen turns blue after I have chosen to join a server. Also I get wierd clicking sounds and noises coming from the speaker in the menus of the game.

The only other game that I have tried on my MBP is Americas Army, this worked fine but I still have the sound issues and it's almost as if the video drivers don't quite work as there is what I can only describe as a film or filter overlay on the game that looks like a dirty piece of glass is between my eyes and the game.....

notsane
Apr 8, 2006, 01:10 PM
Download and install updates the 1.22 is the latest. You can't play online unless you have the same version as the server (almost everyone was waiting for these critical fixes for a long time).

godspeed
Apr 10, 2006, 12:31 PM
Cool, got it working, runs smoothly with settings to max on my mbp 2.16 with 2gb of RAM...... very very happy

MacRumorUser
Apr 10, 2006, 12:53 PM
I have been glued to my BF2 demo all day. Its soo ********* sweet.
I cant believe all the gaming bliss I have been missing out on!
Thankfully, my neighbor is a programmer for EA, and I can get any game for $10. Happiness: priceless :D

Happiness Priceless???? But I think you already established your happiness is $10 ;)

:D :) :D

notsane
Apr 10, 2006, 01:40 PM
godspeed,

What resolution are you running? What view distance? What AA settings (none, 2x,4,?) All other settings on high? Did you OC your card?

godspeed
Apr 10, 2006, 02:15 PM
godspeed,

What resolution are you running? What view distance? What AA settings (none, 2x,4,?) All other settings on high? Did you OC your card?

Running at the max res 1050x????, can't remember off the top of my head, view distance is 100 and AA is set at 2, have not overclocked the card and I don't think I will bother as the MBP runs extremely hot when running as it is............. I think the extra memory helps a lot. Not sure on FPS, does anybody know the command to get FPS in BF2?

notsane
Apr 10, 2006, 07:05 PM
to benchmark you could use fraps

http://www.fraps.com/

This will tell you what each setting does and how to tweak things too!

http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_5.html

I tried the same settings (except texture on medium) and it does work well. I may want to get a few fps more, but it is definatly good. Thanks

bakerzdosen
Apr 12, 2006, 12:57 AM
I just thought I'd point out that I just installed BF2 on my brother's core duo 20" imac (2gb ram, 256mb vram) and it runs REALLY well. I have to admit, I was pretty surprised. The downer is that BF2 doesn't support 1680x1050, but it did do 1400x1050, so it still looked great. I pretty much did no AA and medium settings across the board. I did get the _occasional_ lag for the one online round I played, but it wasn't nearly as bad as playing with 1gb of RAM, and I'm not sure what the cause of the lag was (video, wireless network, DSL, etc). I also couldn't get the mic to work in the 3 minutes I worked on it. I was running the 1.22 patch.

My Athlon64 3200+ w/ 7800gt w/2gb RAM obviously runs smoother at 1600x1200, but the imac was really close. Actually, since my mobo is away in RMA land right now (RAM slot issues), I could only use 1gb of RAM for the last few days before it left. The reason I bring that up is that the iMac was MUCH more playable than my gaming rig with just 1gb of RAM. And it will surprise NO ONE to hear that it blew the doors off my "backup" Dell SC420 p4 2.8GHz/x700pro/512mb setup.

All in all, if I could get a decent price on a headless core duo Mac with something like a 7800gt/7900gt in a dual boot situation, it very well could replace my gaming rig and my G4 (but I'm still not ready to part with my Solaris SC420. :) )

Now that I think about it, I'm really scared to get a MacBook pro though. There is something nice about NOT being able to play BF2 when I travel. Long live my PowerBook.

luketc
May 6, 2006, 10:49 AM
I heard somewhere that Apple is considering offering versions of some of their new models which contain higher-end graphics hardware (even if they are notebook chips.) The reason I bring this up is because although the X1600 is a very capable GPU, it isn't very future-proof when it comes to graphics power. Has anyone else heard this rumor?

Kingsly
May 6, 2006, 11:14 AM
Happiness Priceless???? But I think you already established your happiness is $10 ;)

:D :) :D

Any game I want :$10

Joy: Priceless

Some things money can't buy. For everything else, there's cool neighbors. :D

(by the way, I got the full version of BF:2, so us mac people should start a BF:2 server or something)

@cid
May 22, 2006, 07:19 PM
Hey i got a question.. i have battlefield 2 for the pc, an recently baught a 20" imac:

Machine Name: iMac
Machine Model: iMac4,1
CPU Type: Intel Core Duo
Number Of Cores: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 Cache (shared): 2 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

I've been wanting to install this game for a while but when i tried it wouldn't work. I'm guessing i'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Edit-Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
VRAM (Total): 128 MB

jeremy.king
May 22, 2006, 09:03 PM
I've been wanting to install this game for a while but when i tried it wouldn't work. I'm guessing i'm missing something.

Did you install Windows? :eek:

MacsomJRR
May 22, 2006, 09:14 PM
Did you install Windows? :eek:

How funny would that be:)

@cid
May 22, 2006, 09:24 PM
Nah haha, i realized shortly after i posted that, that was the solution.
I have another question though, if i did install windows would i be able to keep mac ox as my theme? And would the photoshop i have, that's for a mac still work?
Thanks.

MacsomJRR
May 22, 2006, 09:35 PM
I have another question though, if i did install windows would i be able to keep mac ox as my theme? And would the photoshop i have, that's for a mac still work?
Thanks.

If you want to play BF2 you have to download Boot Camp and use it to install Windows on your computer. Boot Camp splits your computer into two separate hard drives (partitions) one using Windows and the other using Mac OS X. To use the Windows partition you have to restart the computer while holding the option key [alt option] and then chose the Windows hard drive that appears. Your computer will then boot up into Windows and you can install and play BF2. To use Mac OS X you have to restart the computer while holding down the option key again and then select the Mac hard drive.

Unfortunately this is the optimal way to play BF2 on your Mac.

note: you must have your own copy of Windows XP SP2 for the installation to work properly.

@cid
May 22, 2006, 09:56 PM
If you want to play BF2 you have to download Boot Camp and use it to install Windows on your computer. Boot Camp splits your computer into two separate hard drives (partitions) one using Windows and the other using Mac OS X. To use the Windows partition you have to restart the computer while holding the option key [alt option] and then chose the Windows hard drive that appears. Your computer will then boot up into Windows and you can install and play BF2. To use Mac OS X you have to restart the computer while holding down the option key again and then select the Mac hard drive.

Unfortunately this is the optimal way to play BF2 on your Mac.

note: you must have your own copy of Windows XP SP2 for the installation to work properly.
Alright, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the reply.

jeremy.king
May 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
How funny would that be:)

I guess not as funny as I was trying to be. :o :)

=DDS=SweepNClea
May 24, 2006, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know if the Zboard and the Logitech G5 gaming mouse works on the Intel Dual Core Mac if XP sp2 is installed??

bbrosemer
May 25, 2006, 08:22 AM
Anything that normally works on xp will work with XP on a Mac. O yes and as an added bonus I have Half Life 2 running with everything maxed and it runs so smooth.

surved
May 26, 2006, 01:56 AM
Is it possible to install windows onto my Powerbook G4? And if so, would Batllefield 2 run on it? 1.67gb 512ram
Also does anyone know where a patch that allows bots in multiplayer BF2 could be found?

MacsomJRR
May 26, 2006, 02:01 AM
Is it possible to install windows onto my Powerbook G4? And if so, would Batllefield 2 run on it? 1.67gb 512ram
Also does anyone know where a patch that allows bots in multiplayer BF2 could be found?

It is possible to emulate Windows horribly on a G4 Mac. BF2 (pretty much any game with 3d graphics) would not be able to run properly if at all. The intel macs however are an entirely different story because they can run Windows natively at full speed which makes gaming possible.

surved
May 26, 2006, 02:02 AM
thanks for the swift reply.
what about battlefield 1? I havnt played it, is there a mac version

MacsomJRR
May 26, 2006, 02:04 AM
thanks for the swift reply.
what about battlefield 1? I havnt played it, is there a mac version

The original BF has been ported over to the mac by I think aspyr? I'm probably totally wrong about that though. Check out www.insidemacgames.com for more info:D

surved
May 26, 2006, 02:07 AM
cheers mate. aspyr did homeworld 2 which I have and thats damn sweet

PatrickF
May 26, 2006, 03:19 AM
As others have said Windows and games are a no-go for your G4.

Good news on the multiplayer with bots though. DICE/EA have added this functionality in the 1.3 patch that came out 3 days ago.

=DDS=SweepNClea
May 26, 2006, 10:10 AM
http://battlefield2.filefront.com/file/Battlefield_2_Armored_Fury_Trailer_1;63033

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2armoredfury/preview_6151774.html?part=rss&tag=gs_&subj=6151774&page=1&q=&q=

=DDS=SweepNClear
www.ddswarfare.net and www.reliantfilms.net

MonkeyHugger
Jun 11, 2006, 08:55 AM
Holy sweet mother of jesus (lol), I was about to buy a regular macbook and a gaming rig for the price of a macbook pro...really dunno what to do now!

Is it really easy to install, games? Will things like counter strike source work too?

(thank god for google.com!)

Mord
Jun 11, 2006, 09:05 AM
anyone tried it under vista yet?

MacsomJRR
Jun 11, 2006, 10:36 AM
The MBP runs games in Windows (with Boot Camp installation) with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I would buy the MBP if it really does come close to the same prices as the systems that you are looking at.

MacsomJRR
Jun 11, 2006, 10:37 AM
Is it really easy to install, games? Will things like counter strike source work too?

(thank god for google.com!)

You are just installing them in Windows, no difference at all. Cept for the part where Windows is just a big pain in the ass in general.

MonkeyHugger
Jun 11, 2006, 11:05 AM
You are just installing them in Windows, no difference at all. Cept for the part where Windows is just a big pain in the ass in general.

Cheers dood! Excited now! :)

I've gotta go for base though...128mb GPU, 512mb ram, I understand ram will need upping, but is that spec ok for gaming?

PatrickF
Jun 11, 2006, 01:23 PM
Cheers dood! Excited now! :)

I've gotta go for base though...128mb GPU, 512mb ram, I understand ram will need upping, but is that spec ok for gaming?
I have a 1.83/128MB VRAM/1GB RAM MBP and it runs BF2 fine.

xplorr
Nov 13, 2006, 01:06 PM
Normally I would say Parallels trumps Boot Camp, but I could not get BF2 to run on Parallels , I kept getting "please insert intallation disc" errors when I tried to PLAY. Tried NO CD patch, and burnibg and ISO and mounting it with Daemon tools..even mounting the origianl disc...no go

Installed boot camp...works like a charm..sec! INCOMING!!

Xplorr

ryanlownie
Nov 18, 2006, 01:07 PM
Im having no luck with BF2 myself, I can start the game and begin loading a map, but during the "Verifying client data" bit, I get a blue error screen and my system restarts.

Now ive recently been thinking that this is down to me running the latest 1.4 patch for BF2, It obviously works with older ones so it seems lik something I will definately try.

My system specs are as follows:

iMac 24"
2.33ghz Core 2 Duo
1GB RAM
256mb 7600GT
250Gb HD

Definately specced up enough to run it, also are there any additional drivers I should be downloading for my GFX card, it only crashes when the actual game begins so it points toward a graphical problem.

Any help will be much appreciated,

Thankyou.