PDA

View Full Version : mac book questions and imac g5

4leaf
Apr 6, 2006, 02:37 PM
hi all

im from ireland and in 3 months im moving to new zealand
i have an imac g5 isight and an ibook g4.
im going to be selling my ibook cos i need the cash and it doesnt burn dvds.very important for the course im going to be doing in nz.
i really wanna bring my imac as i only got it b4 christmas. but how will i get it over there?has anyone ever moved a machine like this that far?id be so afraid of it getting damaged!

so my options are 1) bringing it with me somehow?
2) making a friend swap his powerbook g4 with my imac till i get back
3) or sellign my imac and ibook and buying a second hand pbook
4) or sell the imac and ibook and buy a mac book pro...thing is will the final cut and other programs i have work with it?i heard because of the intel chip all software has to be bought again?is this true?

can anyone help?

MacHarne
Apr 6, 2006, 04:04 PM
Do you have the box the iMac G5 came in? Obviously, since Apple ships these computers in these boxes, they are made for global shipping/transport. You could FedEx the box to where you will be unless you want to try and get it on a plane. However, I know none of the flying rules when it comes to desktops; someone else will have to comment on that.

I would say to hang on to your iMac and figure out a transport method.

Eidorian
Apr 6, 2006, 04:10 PM
You could also ask in the marketplace (You'll need 100 posts first.) or look on eBay for an empty iMac G5 box. My box is in good condition and I use it every time I move my iMac. It's just missing the UPC. :D

4leaf
Apr 13, 2006, 06:01 PM
i have the original box, i just used it to move house...would it be mad to ship it over, wouldnt it get damaged?

j26
Apr 13, 2006, 06:19 PM
Maybe sell 'em both and get an imac over there?

a 17" iMac costs 1,200 (1,600 for the 20") on the Aussie website, and you should get some off for the educational discount. Dunno about the software - you might have to buy some.

It would probably cost a good few quid to get it shipped over, and it might just be cheaper to get it over there.

If you are considering selling the G5, PM me. I might possibly be interested.