Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
ive heard of this. is it true? nt is so old i bet m$ offers it for free. if so, is it in the "microsoft download center"
p.s. im trying to run my version of world book for windows on my G4
if i could get NT up and running natively on ppc (i already own xp, but thats x86 only) would i meet these requirements:?
Minimum System Requirements:
Microsoft® Windows ME, 2000*, 98, 95, or NT 4.0, XP**
Pentium or higher IBM or 100% compatible PC
16 MB RAM (minimum); 32 MB RAM (recommended)
40 MB hard drive space***
16-bit color recommended
16-bit sound card
CD-ROM drive (double speed or faster)
Mouse

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Democrat622 said:
Pentium or higher IBM or 100% compatible PC
Uh. No.

Even if you could find NT4 PPC, you still wouldn't be able to run your app. No "universal binaries" for NT4.

Try VPC? Q?

B

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
THEN AGAIN, WOULD EVEN X86 IN Q BE FASTER THAN XP IN Q?

sorry about allcaps, i just realized that

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Democrat622 said:
ive heard of this. is it true? nt is so old i bet m$ offers it for free. if so, is it in the "microsoft download center"
They're Microsoft. They never offer anything for free. Except drinks (all the Coke you could want at those young developer conference things at the Science Park :D)

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Democrat622 said:
is barteltby's free? it looks great
Yes.

And I actually access it via Watson (which is now free). This is one of the few Watson tools which hasn't broken over time and is the reason I still install Watson on systems of clients who have kids.

This is what Watson looks like on my system...

Tools that seem to still work include References, Weather, Astronomy, Stocks (to a degree) and Translation.

Watson was bought by Sun Microsystems and was supposed to have been replaced with a new app by now... but it seems like Sun lost interest in the project. Apple's Sherlock copied the interface of Watson but was never as easy to write tools for as Watson, so it was never as useful as Watson was when it was still being sold. Besides, Apple moved on to Dashboard to provide similar web services functionality.

:rolleyes:

Anyways, Yes, Barteltby's is free... other than the ads, which is why I still use Watson for accessing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.