PDA

View Full Version : iPod - Files between Mac and XP

VanMac
Apr 8, 2006, 11:54 AM
Hello.

I've searched and read some threads similar to what I want to do, but nothing exact, so here goes.

I have an iPod, iBook, and Windows XP. We also use XP at work.

I currently synch my iPod with iTunes in my iBook. It is mac formatted.

I want to be able to take files back and forth to work using my iPod. Disk is enabled, but alas, the XP machines want to format it.

I can reformat the iPod on my XP machine, and be able to use it for file transfers, but will it sync up to my mac as it does now?

I am unable to install third party tools on work machine, so have to work within that context.

Any advice on best way to go about this would be appreciated. Basically I still want to sync tunes via iBook, but need to transfer files back and forth between XP machines and iBook. I dont really care what the iPod is formatted as, as long as it works.

Thanks.

khisayruou
Apr 8, 2006, 12:05 PM
Have the winxp format it, it will format it into fat32.
The mac will sync to it just fine.

Eraserhead
Apr 8, 2006, 12:17 PM
If only OS X could format it like that too...

Mac's can certainly read window's iPods just fine.

mac4drew
Apr 8, 2006, 04:02 PM
Another way to do it if you want to leave it formatted as a Mac OS drive is to use a program called MacDrive (http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive6/). It reads and writes to Mac OS Formatted drives in Windows, and it can specifically configure iTunes to work with Mac iPods. It's a pretty nice utility to have in a pinch. I think it comes with a few days free trial.

Edit: saw that you can't use third party tools... so this probably wouldn't be a solution for you

But aside from formatting iPods in FAT 32, I suspect that Apple might come up with a few solutions of its own in the near future to ensure a better experience for mac-formatted iPod users, like possibly releasing a driver for Windows, considering they now "unofficially" support its installation on their computers.

VanMac
Apr 8, 2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the confirmation all.

Reformatted on XP machine, and can share files on both systems, and sync iTunes to mac. :)