PDA

View Full Version : MSDN Members - Vista?

greatdevourer
Apr 8, 2006, 12:40 PM
I would love to try Vista on a Mac, but due to budget constraints, I have no hope of affording one for a long while, so can someone else with a copy of Vista test it and check benchmarks?

maya
Apr 8, 2006, 12:42 PM
I would love to try Vista on a Mac, but due to budget constraints, I have no hope of affording one for a long while, so can someone else with a copy of Vista test it and check benchmarks?

Is this really important, especially when its not even released to the general public. So when did speed/benchmarks over take security and performance. :rolleyes:

Hey it runs fast, however there is no security whatsoever. :rolleyes:

greatdevourer
Apr 8, 2006, 12:58 PM
Is this really important, especially when its not even released to the general public. So when did speed/benchmarks over take security and performance. :rolleyes:

Hey it runs fast, however there is no security whatsoever. :rolleyes: Sheesh, sorry for asking. I'll know not to post when you're online... should stop me getting my head bitten off...

Backtothemac
Apr 8, 2006, 01:54 PM
I have the latest Vista build, and I cannot get it to install with boot camp. I tried with Parralles too, and it would not work there either.

ITASOR
Apr 8, 2006, 02:06 PM
You could always install XP and run Vista in VMWare couldn't you? Just like to see how it works...

greatdevourer
Apr 8, 2006, 02:12 PM
I have the latest Vista build, and I cannot get it to install with boot camp. I tried with Parralles too, and it would not work there either. Cheers. I wonder why, because apparently Ubuntu installs just fine :confused:

EDIT: http://theweeklyrant.com/article/8/news-apple-bootcamp-boots-linux - link to Ubuntu screens

bugfaceuk
Apr 9, 2006, 03:30 AM

Hey it runs fast, however there is no security whatsoever. :rolleyes:

Yeah don't worry until we can all use it... and I bet 2008 rolls round real quick too...

greatdevourer
Apr 9, 2006, 12:15 PM
http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=14448

Some guy did it, however, it doesn't dual-boot, but it's a start

clayj
Apr 9, 2006, 01:56 PM
I have the latest Vista build, and I cannot get it to install with boot camp. I tried with Parralles too, and it would not work there either.I'll add confirmation to this: Vista does NOT run in Boot Camp Beta (you can't even get through the installation process), and while I haven't tried Parallels' software, I can't imagine it working.

greatdevourer
Apr 9, 2006, 02:23 PM
I'll add confirmation to this: Vista does NOT run in Boot Camp Beta (you can't even get through the installation process), and while I haven't tried Parallels' software, I can't imagine it working. Read the post above you. It works. However, for dual-boot, it requires you to remove the EFI partition (some guy claims he did it). However, something somewhere starts throwing a hissy-fit

clayj
Apr 9, 2006, 02:50 PM
Read the post above you. It works. However, for dual-boot, it requires you to remove the EFI partition (some guy claims he did it). However, something somewhere starts throwing a hissy-fitYeah, I don't consider "hacks" to be in the same ballpark as "working". It's one thing to perform a series of installations and configuration changes to persuade a piece of software to install (for example, the trick of using an external CD drive to install WXP MCE)... but messing with your partitions (aside from allowing Boot Camp to do it) is bad juju.