Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Well aside from everyones well document hatred of Comic Sans I'm wondering what other over used font you see in the every day world that you hate.

For me, it's gotta be Papyrus, I dunno what it is but this turns up on more and more menus & restaurant signs then I care to remember.

e20f21c39d94e4e4a831f04e5c01da6d.png

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
That's funny. My parents and I were driving downtown and made a game out of guessing what fonts were used on the signs we'd see. I DO see Papyrus a lot. I think one was called "fontdinerdotcom" (not sure) and it's pretty annoying because a lot of girly boutiques are using it now.

mikemodena

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
Connecticut
Everywhere I go I see a font and I mention to my friends hey I have that font (and most of the time I usually know the name) and they just point out that I'm way too into graphic design.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
Times New Roman ,
I dont really hate the font
I just use it way too much and have no choice in using it...
I dislike Arial Black...too heavy...

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
In my city they recently built a bus station. It's a really nice development because the suburb is affluent. A few restaurants, brand new condominiums. All of it's perfect except they chose Papyrus for all the banners. Ugh!

Also hate Arial, the Microsoft ripoff of Helvetica (which is the lovely, Swiss font that comes with all Macs).

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I am not sure that I hate the Comic Sans font; but I understand where you are coming from maybe. Each decade or period had its fonts that defined that period in history in regards to advertising.

The problem is that much of our advertising today is done by "non-professionals" - and yes, I am one of those - that had an eye for the client they worked for. But perhaps no formal training in graphic arts.

At least I knew not to mix serif and non-serif fonts. And that fonts should be close to each other in a "family" way. I left advertising for the company I work for about a year ago.

When I was "in charge" I tried for a unified "corporate" look. Now each store is up to those that might know how to use PS or Publisher. That leads to people that never saw a font or a font effect that they never disliked. :eek:

Just because you have shadow effects for fonts, it does not mean they should be used. Nor does it mean that since you have 256+ colors to choose from; that each and every color needs to be used in a sign or poster. :)

Sorry for the rant; but it pains me after my hard 3 years work on a corporate communications policy when I did the advertising for my company, that we sometimes have signage that looks like a 2nd grade computer science project.

And don't get me started on the ad layout themes that I created; after much trial and error! Only to to have some under paid grunt at the newspaper churning out some quickie solution.

This is not a sour grapes post, at least as I see it. I should try an post some images of what I did verse what the grunts at the newspaper are doing. My company did a cost-benefit analysis, and I came up being the loser. At least they saw that I had benefits elsewhere in the company.:)

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Chip NoVaMac said:
Sorry for the rant; but it pains me after my hard 3 years work on a corporate communications policy when I did the advertising for my company, that we sometimes have signage that looks like a 2nd grade computer science project.

haha as an in house graphics person who does 90% of our companies output I feel your pain! Half my problem with papyrus is my co-workers tendency to use it, thank god she doesn't do any graphics for us anymore.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Well, since I can't say Arial as someone else has chosen it, it has to be...

Nuptial Script. :mad:

Ish

macrumors 68020
Nov 30, 2004
UK
Any of the ones like Courier that imitate typewriting. ugh! :eek:

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
Ish said:
Any of the ones like Courier that imitate typewriting. ugh! :eek:

I agree in most cases, but I love courier in terminals/coding and showing code examples in write-ups.

I'm not much of a font fanatic, so I really can't pick one (other than the main excluded one lol) so I'll cast a null vote :)

SpookTheHamster

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
London
Not allowed to complain about Comic Sans?

Then I'll just have to choose Impact as my least favourite, closely followed by Copperplate, or anything yellow or lime

Oh yeah, and I hate it when people mix fonts and colours for no reason :rolleyes:

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
dornoforpyros said:
Well aside from everyones well document hatred of Comic Sans I'm wondering what other over used font you see in the every day world that you hate.

For me, it's gotta be Papyrus, I dunno what it is but this turns up on more and more menus & restaurant signs then I care to remember.

e20f21c39d94e4e4a831f04e5c01da6d.png

Ditto. My friend from Uni. always used this font in his work. It is sick.

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
This font should never have been created:

Attachments

• sand_sucks.gif
    sand_sucks.gif
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,596

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Maybe it's just me but I don't dislike any font, I mean they all have their places. Except Comic sans :D My dad, who has some kind of level 4 business degree and manages the largest printing house in europe writes ALL his document titles in COMIC SANS! I keep crying, begging him to change it but the same answer pops ups "I like it!". grr.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
TIMES NEW ROMAN school shoves it down my throat enough... too traditional, boring, and boring above all.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Peyton said:
TIMES NEW ROMAN school shoves it down my throat enough... too traditional, boring, and boring above all.
I think that Times Roman gets a free ride because at least it has an interesting history. Boring fonts do have a legitimate place in the world, when they're not supposed to call attention to themselves.

bexster

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2005
curlz... it was one of my colleagues favorite fonts too!!!

Cant think of any others to the list (i've deleted them from my fonts folder!)... but one thing that i hate about fonts is... when i find the perfect font for a project, download it and find it doesn't include a £ or @! That really sucks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.