Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I dislike just about all the script fonts I come across, finding a good one is a rare find.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Orlando Furioso said:
gasp!

I love using these actually. Decoratively only of course (and only as background imagery). Really HUGE, they become abstract curves of sexy goodness.

Really? Well, whatever floats your boat. I for one get no pleasure from such fonts. ;) :)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Apple Hobo said:
font.jpg

There are plenty of garbage fonts, but Helvetica is what came to mind first. ;)

Okay. You should really take another look at Helvetica. It's a fantastic typeface when used correctly. Most people don't bother to kern it and only use the default weights and sizes. And almost 50 years after it's original drawing, it still feels modern.

There's even an entire beautifully-designed book dedicated to the uses of Helvetica; http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/3907044878/sr=8-1/qid=1144679202/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-2330190-4079954?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Personally, I hate brush script, arial is a blight on society, and my all-time most-hated is Addled.

Attachments

• Addled.jpg
    Addled.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 174

lem0n

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2005
Milano...
I hate Arial, it's such a rip off... Helvetica is modern and easy to read... I'm having to invent a typeface and it's a curly one, unfortunately... >_<

cc bcc

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2001
nl
Speaking about Comic Sans, what on earth was Apple thinking when they included Chalkboard ?!

And Apple Chancery is also Teh Ugly™

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
I have a list of my most hated fonts:

Papyrus—just not attractive

Culrz MT—seriously? it is on almost every sign i see here. I work for a magazine and everyone uses it for their logo in their ad.

Arial—Bland

Brush Script—Hiddeous

My favorite fonts right now are:

Helvetica Neue—(anthing between 25 and 45, but especially 27 condenced)

Berthold Akzidenz Grotesk—Love Their Extended Fonts

Futura—Almost worn out on it, but still a good font

GillSans

Goudy Old Style

FootLight MT

Didot

Bodoni

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
I have an old client whose brand I use to manage. I used Showcard Gothic for some of their elements.

http://www.mythologieproductions.com/rockbottom/

But over the past year and a half, since I quit working with them they ahve absolutely destroyed what I have built. It now looks like its being managed by a 4 year old and an etch-a-sketch. http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/

(no offense intended towards 4 year olds with etch-a-sketches)

showcardgothic.gif

I hate Showcard Gothic.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
Leareth said:
Times New Roman ,
I dont really hate the font
I just use it way too much and have no choice in using it...
I dislike Arial Black...too heavy...
You took the words right out of my mouth (right off my screen?) regarding Times New Roman.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
dmw007 said:
Not sure that I have an official™ "most hated" font, but fonts like the following I see no real purpose for:

Those are relatively useful in the print design world. They come up more than you'd imagine...watch out for them in books/magazines/posters whatever, and you'll notice that decorative shapes show up a lot. They're also used huge a lot and as background type stuff. The reason they make a font of it is so that you can have tons of different shapes on hand at any time, and they're vectorized so you can make them huge.

I personally dislike:

Attachments

• Untitled-1.gif
    Untitled-1.gif
    19 KB · Views: 175
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.