PDA

View Full Version : iPod 2G Ressurection

harveypooka
Apr 12, 2006, 01:22 PM
My lovely 20GB 2G iPod has been on the blink for a while and finally semi-died a death late last year. I got it out again, managed to charge it and it played again. It plays everything fine (apart from the odd crash/freeze where it continues to play the track with no sound) and can be charged and even recognizes the FireWire cable plugged in. My Mac does not recognize the iPod though. I've reinstalled the software on the iPod, wiped it, etc etc etc. It doesn't show up in Disk Utility either. Anyone got any bright ideas before I rip it apart, see what makes it tick and am left with a really dead iPod?

MmmPancakes
Apr 12, 2006, 04:03 PM
My lovely 20GB 2G iPod has been on the blink for a while and finally semi-died a death late last year. I got it out again, managed to charge it and it played again. It plays everything fine (apart from the odd crash/freeze where it continues to play the track with no sound) and can be charged and even recognizes the FireWire cable plugged in. My Mac does not recognize the iPod though. I've reinstalled the software on the iPod, wiped it, etc etc etc. It doesn't show up in Disk Utility either. Anyone got any bright ideas before I rip it apart, see what makes it tick and am left with a really dead iPod?

Have you tinkered with the battery at all?

dizzyiris
Apr 12, 2006, 06:28 PM
could be the hard drive

harveypooka
Apr 12, 2006, 07:13 PM
Not tinkered with anything. I guess it's some problem with the iPod...but any ideas on solutions?

StarbucksSam
Apr 12, 2006, 07:24 PM
Honestly, for the money you'd spend to fix it, you're much better off getting a new one. Or a used 2G that works right.

iHateWindows
Apr 13, 2006, 12:53 AM
IMHO you should just buy a new one because it will never work the same.

harveypooka
Apr 13, 2006, 03:43 AM
I know, but I thought it would be fitting for it to be resurrected on Sunday. I really want to make it work...