PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Powerbook less durable than the iBook?

princealfie
Apr 14, 2006, 01:56 PM
:eek: I was thinking that the Al, Ti PB and MBP are not as "durable" as the iBooks. Strangely enough, the Powerbook and MBP are considered professional level laptops and I am puzzled why the professional version is not as tough as the consumer level iBooks?

Eidorian
Apr 14, 2006, 01:57 PM
They're a bit more prone to scratch and dent when compared to the plastic iBook.

dornoforpyros
Apr 14, 2006, 02:04 PM
I think they make iBooks out of similar materials as bullet proof glass, that's certainly not to say an iBook is bullet proof, it's just mean to take a few knocks in a backpack or what have you.

Mord
Apr 14, 2006, 02:14 PM
ibooks are for school/home/kids environments that are prone to accidents, powerbooks/MBP's are designed for pro's who want speed and a small form factor and they are more likely to be more careful with their kit

Prelude2Tragedy
Apr 14, 2006, 02:14 PM
Heres a conspiracy theory:

Since "professionals" probably make more money they are more like able to replace their dented or scratched machines more often if it really bothers them. They know a poor student/consumer wouldn't be able to replace their computer as easily if this happened so they made it more durable.

I dunno though..just an idea

revenuee
Apr 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
Heres a conspiracy theory:
I dunno though..just an idea

careful -- you might see a few men in sunglasses, black turtle necks and blue jeans knocking on your door for that one <-- they'll do anything to keep you SILENCED

princealfie
Apr 14, 2006, 02:24 PM
Yes, but from a view of the professional photographer, when I'm out in the field, I'm always freaked out about keeping my powerbooks from being knocked over by a client or critter...:mad:

Demon Hunter
Apr 14, 2006, 03:44 PM
Besides the hinges, the TiBooks are durable as hell...

caveman_uk
Apr 14, 2006, 03:45 PM
They're a bit more prone to scratch and dent when compared to the plastic iBook.
This is BS. I've had both and my iBook was unbelievably easy to scratch (as easy as the nano's). My powerbook doesn't have a single scratch in it...now dents...maybe. I don't have any of those either....then again. I look after my stuff.

Demon Hunter
Apr 14, 2006, 03:49 PM
This is BS. I've had both and my iBook was unbelievably easy to scratch (as easy as the nano's). My powerbook doesn't have a single scratch in it...now dents...maybe. I don't have any of those either....then again. I look after my stuff.

Yeah, they are just harder to see on the iBook.

macgeek2005
Apr 14, 2006, 03:50 PM
It's even simpler for me. My **** just doesn't scratch, because I treat it good. What on earth do you guys do to computers that make them scratch and dent? Just take good care of it and nothing happends.

The reason the pro laptops are aluminum is because they let off more heat, and aluminum lets the heat out more efficently than the bullet proof plastic or whatever.

I'm planning on getting a macbook pro soon, and if it ever gets one scratch or dent, I will give everyone on this site $1000. I'm not kidding. I just don't let my stuff get damaged. I'm a responsible guy.

princealfie
Apr 14, 2006, 03:53 PM
I agree if you take care of it. However, if you are out in dirty or questionable environments like the forest or in the middle of an industrial complex with airborne grease, then is the powerbook all that?:eek:

yoda13
Apr 14, 2006, 03:54 PM
Be careful my friend, its blanket statements like that, that lead to the inevitable...:eek:

xPismo
Apr 14, 2006, 03:56 PM
I agree if you take care of it. However, if you are out in dirty or questionable environments like the forest or in the middle of an industrial complex with airborne grease, then is the powerbook all that?:eek:

I don't think anything apple sells will last long in that kind of industral setting. Heck, I doubt I'd last long in that kind of setting. i think its mostly marketing, but I do see a fair amount of dented, scratched, and chiped Powerbooks at school while most - if not all - of the iBook's I see look nearly new.

I won't be trading down anytime soon though. :D

Demon Hunter
Apr 14, 2006, 07:38 PM

... and a bag of chips. :D