PDA

View Full Version : Help with non-working Menu button

gauchogolfer
Apr 18, 2006, 07:33 AM
The title says it all. I have an iPod mini which works fine, except for the fact that the menu button on the scroll wheel doesn't work. I can scroll and use all the other buttons, just not the menu. Any ideas where I should start?

Not that it helps, but it's used with both an iBook and Powerbook.

Edit: I've also tried reinstalling the newest ipod updater, as well as installing one from 2004, when it was purchased. Neither one has made a difference.

mannix87
Apr 19, 2006, 05:48 AM
The title says it all. I have an iPod mini which works fine, except for the fact that the menu button on the scroll wheel doesn't work. I can scroll and use all the other buttons, just not the menu. Any ideas where I should start?

Not that it helps, but it's used with both an iBook and Powerbook.

Edit: I've also tried reinstalling the newest ipod updater, as well as installing one from 2004, when it was purchased. Neither one has made a difference.

have you tried the various Rs? don't take my word for it but it sounds like a hardware problem.

gauchogolfer
Apr 19, 2006, 06:15 AM
Yeah, I gave the R's from Apple's help area a go before I posted here. One thing that's strange is that I can still force the iPod to reinitialize, via holding down the menu+centerbutton for several seconds. So, it seems like some connection is there because it recognizes that I'm pushing it. It seems like it must be software related, but I can't for the life of me think what else to try. It's past warranty, or I'd just send it in.

student_trap
Apr 19, 2006, 06:44 AM
One thing that's strange is that I can still force the iPod to reinitialize, via holding down the menu+centerbutton for several seconds

this is the odd thing, i naturally assumed it to be a hardware problem, but that is odd. Does it always work when resetting? as it could be a problem with contacts between the button and the ipod body? Can you still turn off the backlight with the menu button?

gauchogolfer
Apr 19, 2006, 08:46 AM
The forced rebooting is reproducible, and in fact after the reboot the menu button sometimes works for a few seconds, but then stops. As for turning off the backlight, I'm not sure I understand. If I hold down the menu button, should that turn off the backlight? I'll give it a try nonetheless.

Edit: nevermind about the backlight question, I figured that part out. Nope, I can't change the status of the backlight using the menu button.

gauchogolfer
Apr 19, 2006, 08:54 AM
So, do iPods have logic boards that can fail? This has just gotten weirder.
If I hold down the play button to turn off the unit, nothing happens. I still have the menu button problem as well. BUT, if I move the hold switch from locked to unlocked and back again, it acts as the menu button would and moves me up one level in the hierarchy. Can I proclaim this iPod mini officially screwed™?

lwhansen
Apr 25, 2006, 02:46 PM
You are not alone my friend! My 4'th gen 60GB iPod has the same problem. It happens after hours (maybe days) of continuous play through Shuffled Songs. Suddenly, I cannot turn the darn thing off and the menu button does not respond. The only fix I knew off, until I read this thread, was to let it run out of battery. I hate UI's that are so smart they do not work. I have not tried messing with the HOLD button. One more thing, I have only noticed this after unplugging it from the power and taking it home from work. I get home and cannot turn it off. Really frustrating!!!!!

If anybody cares, here is the About information on my iPod:

Songs 3589
Photos 0
Capacity 55.7 GB
Avaiable 34.6 GB
Version 1.2.1
S/N JQ532EUHSAZ
Model M9830LL
Format Windows

I believe the software it up-to-date. I downloaded the latest software a few months ago.

Thanks,
Lars

So, do iPods have logic boards that can fail? This has just gotten weirder.
If I hold down the play button to turn off the unit, nothing happens. I still have the menu button problem as well. BUT, if I move the hold switch from locked to unlocked and back again, it acts as the menu button would and moves me up one level in the hierarchy. Can I proclaim this iPod mini officially screwed™?

larsak
May 14, 2006, 02:19 PM
I have exactly the same problems that you are experiencing.

If you have found a solution to your problem I would be very happy to hear about it.

Cheers,

Lars