Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
The boss came to me yesterday and asked me to design a Training Manual Cover, so this what I put together, Comments are welcome. Thank You! :)

Screenshot is from my new 20 inch intel imac

130773742_0f69b7afe3_b.jpg

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
That script for the word 'Advisor' just looks plain wrong — all distorted and hand-written like that. It's immensely distracting, messy and very un-business-like... not very confident-appearing or authoritative.

The line with 'Training Manual' in loosely-spaced caps could have a little more air between it and the word 'Advisor'.

The document icon between the words 'Training' and 'Manual' is a nice idea but you need to allow more space between the two words. The icon is taking up too much visual space there... even if it means taking that line down a couple of points and spacing the letters a little more tightly in order to create more space between the words.

Other than that, I like it. Nice green. ;)

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Redesign

Blue Velvet said:
That script for the word 'Advisor' just looks plain wrong — all distorted and hand-written like that. It's immensely distracting, messy and very un-business-like... not very confident-appearing or authoritative.

The line with 'Training Manual' in loosely-spaced caps could have a little more air between it and the word 'Advisor'.

The document icon between the words 'Training' and 'Manual' is a nice idea but you need to allow more space between the two words. The icon is taking up too much visual space there... even if it means taking that line down a couple of points and spacing the letters a little more tightly in order to create more space between the words.

Other than that, I like it. Nice green. ;)

Thank You, I went back and redesigned the Advisor part and training manual, something was bugging me about the design and I think I resolved it. Updated the design link.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I think the word 'Advisor' can come down a little in size on the cover and on the spine, maybe 3-10% tops. And nudge the 'Training Manual' line down a little... it's a little tight to the large title IMHO.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Is this to be part of a series?
Consider running a common element through them on the spine so they are readily identifiable on the bookshelf. Some I have seen have had a band on the spine that was common to the year of issue, changing location with each year, others have had colour coding per subject matter.
The "pages" icon on the spine is superfluous, you can lose it. If there is a series number, or a "grade level" for this manual, or other useful identifying information, it could go there.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Identification

The only Identification for each manual would be there is going to be 3 manuals, so I could use 1, 2, 3 on the bottom of the spine.

I updated the design again with your suggestions, made the Advisor smaller, moved down training manual and placed the corasponding number with that manual for identification purposes.

mac.FINN

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2006
Canada
Is this going to be printed on a textured paper or smooth paper?
If it's smooth - I'd suggest adding a little bit of texture to the coloured background. Something slight, maybe a leather or a canvass pebble. Just don't go overboard with it - make it discreet.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
I like it :)

Then again I'm currently working on an add that was due yesturday and I was just told about 10 mins ago. So I know what it's like to have no direction or time. :p

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Plan Paper

mac.FINN said:
Is this going to be printed on a textured paper or smooth paper?
If it's smooth - I'd suggest adding a little bit of texture to the coloured background. Something slight, maybe a leather or a canvass pebble. Just don't go overboard with it - make it discreet.

Just your standard 98 brightness cardstock.

macgfxdesigner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Updated Again

In Advisors replaced the S with the S from our logo and minor changes to the words and placement

ATD

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2005
I like it, it always seems that the things that we have the lease amount of time to do come out better. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.