Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
The rules are open for debate at any time although a consensus will be sought before making changes. The preference is to create a broad but flexible framework to work within.

The 'summary' version
In order to encourage MR members to expand their "photographic" eye, monthly themes will be offered. The idea is that members will go out and try to find their own way of interpreting the monthly theme. Posting is open to all MR members, and encouraged.

In keeping with the different skill/equipment levels that members have, it is asked that comments try to be constructive. The monthly themes are meant as a way to expand the way we look at things; not as a purely skill based competition.

In order to respect the bandwidth and storage, it is asked that one image of a particular subject be posted by an individual member and that a member not post more than five images for a particular assignment.

The 'legalese' version
General notes:
1. Assignments are open to all MR members.
2. By submitting artwork, members implicitly agree to all these rules.
3. Copyright of the artwork remains with the owner of the artwork.

Assignment topics
1. Suggestions for the month's assignment are made in a single thread which will be set up late the month before.
2. The assignment topic will be voted on by all members (although only those intending to submit pictures should vote) - as a public vote
3. The assignment topic decision should never give less than 3 weeks of time to shoot the subject.
4. The top non-winning topic will go through to the next month's poll. The remainder of the topics get a month's rest so that we see some new options!

Submission rules:
1. The artwork must meet all other forum rules.
2. The artwork must meet all legal requirements. For example: authorization from models (if any) must be secured.
3. Members should be the owner of the artwork they submit.
4. While a member can submit more than one image, they can only submit one image of a particular subject.
5. The shooting of photo(s) must be created during the assignment period.
6. Artwork may be created by any kind of digital camera and any post-processing ("Photoshopping") the member sees fit. Post-processing must meet Photoshopping rules detailed below.
7. Submissions should be posted in the Assignment thread for that month - within a week of the month's end (for shots taken late in the month)

Comments/critique/discussion:
1. Discussion can begin at any point in the month
2. Comments, critiques and discussion must meet general forum rules.
3. Comments, critiques and discussion most be constructive, objective and aimed at improving the quality of the artwork.
4. Artistic choices (for example: choice of subject, assignment interpretation, etc.) may be discussed, but not criticized.
5. Equipment used may be discussed, commented or criticized only if this helps in improving artwork quality.
6. Comment posts must include a reference to the artwork being discussed.

Photoshopping rules:
1. Artwork may only be Photoshopped with explicit authorization from the owner (for any usage - in the thread or not) - owner can give this while posting.
2. If a picture is photoshopped, instructions on what processes were used would be appreciated so that others can learn.
3. The sole purpose of Photoshopping is to enhance the artisitic/technical quality of the artwork.

Previous Assignments
Assignment 1 - Holiday Preparation (multiple threads)
Assignment 2 - Cold
Assignment 3 - Nature in Unexpected Places
Assignment 4 - Insanity of Humanity or Metal
Assignment 5 - Water
Assignment 6 - Contrasts
Assignment 7 - Yellow
Assignment 8 - Buildings/Urban
Assignment 9 - Doorknobs
Assignment 10 - Transformation or Motion

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Thank you, Applespider, for taking the time to go through all this and to tidy up the rules a bit and to take out elements which were a bit too restrictive....

If we can all agree on these rules as our new guidelines and policies for future assignments that would help enormously!

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Applespider said:
Ooops, just realised that I forgot the suggestion we had in Feb that the top 2 non-winning topics in the poll go through to the next one and the rest are 'rested' for a month.

Oh, right....that was a good suggestion so that then we aren't repeating ourselves with the same suggestions month after month. Definitely let's implement that....

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
*wonders if this will work again*

People just need to remember some of the main guidelines, I guess. It looks like a lot of rules on that list, but some of them are just things that must be mentioned.

Basically, just vote for a topic each month if you wish to participate; photos submitted must have been taken during the assignment period (and after the voting period); submit the photo(s) which you think are best and suit the topic (I guess they shouldn't all be of the same); and......I think that's basically it. I guess the photos shouldn't break any forum rules, or the law in your city.

I think that as long as everyone is on the same page regarding how things are done, things will be fine. It's when one person says you can do one thing, but another person says something completely different is when we start running into problems. These assignments really should be self-moderated by forum members, but if nobody agrees, something has to be the "final word", and it shouldn't be any one person, which is where this thread comes in. Of course, if anyone objects with these rules, just say so, because they can always be changed.

And quite possibly, maybe Applespider and I should take a much lesser role in organization if this is going to work out. No offense to Applespider, because AS has kept the train moving, but things don't seem to work this way, and maybe self-organization and self-moderation is best, where no 1 or 2 persons are telling people how things are done. This is nobody's, and everybody's responsibility if you understand.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Abstract said:
..............................................And quite possibly, maybe Applespider and I should take a much lesser role in organization if this is going to work out. No offense to Applespider, because AS has kept the train moving, but things don't seem to work this way, and maybe self-organization and self-moderation is best, where no 1 or 2 persons are telling people how things are done. This is nobody's, and everybody's responsibility if you understand.

i think the monthly assignments worked quite well. and i also believe that things run smoother if someone takes charge. so i'm quite happy with you guy's being "moderators" of this thread.

after all someone has to take respnsibiltity, do the work, take all the blame.. aehm... benefits.. yes benefits is what i meant.....

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Applespider, thanks for the time on the rules. Maybe it is that I live in an area that people tend to over think and over regulate almost everything. That is why I was drawn to the free spirit nature of MR in the first place.

I'll admit that I was put off by the initial rules, and am not fond of the current posting. Fine for a true contest; but limiting in order to inspire people to go out and shoot.

I prefer a kinder and gentler approach. Here is my suggested changes:

Monthly Theme Guidelines

Statement of Purpose of Monthly Themes

In order to encourage MR members to expand their "photographic" eye, monthly themes will be offered. The idea is that members will go out and try to find their own way of interpreting the monthly theme. Posting is open to all MR members, and encouraged.

Guidelines

- All posts must meet the posting guidelines for MR. (https://macrumors.zendesk.com/hc/en-us). Given the love of Photoshop, remember that questionable images that call in to question ownership rights can be deleted by MR moderators at any time.

- It is encouraged to post images that fit the time frame for the theme. That is the purpose of monthly themes. But any image that falls outside the time frame will be encouraged and accepted. But understand the monthly themes are there to get MR members out shooting.

- In order to respect the bandwidth and storage here on MR, it is asked that one image of a particular subject be posted by an individual member. And it is asked that a member not post more than five images for a particular theme. MR moderators will be the ones to decide if there is posting abuse, if notified by the questionable post notice option.

- In order to give time for members to to think about how they will approach a particular theme, it will be the goal that themes be announced 30 days prior to the start of theme. This will most likely be the time for members to post images that they have taken before the timeframe to post those images.

- In keeping with the different skill levels that members have, it is asked that comments try to be constructive. The monthly themes are meant as a way to expand the way we look at things.

This is just a start. Still need to address how and when themes are decided upon. Also how country specific theme suggestions are handled (my thought is like with my Memorial Day idea, to have two themes that month) .

The key is not be restrictive IMO. I understand the order that you and Abstract are trying to give. But we are not a photography website. The DPF is to be an outlet for us MR members to have some fun in with our photography.

If someone wants to post multiple images of the same subject they should be able to. If the images fall outside of when they should be shot, then they should be allowed, not under a separate thread - but the same thread.

Let's try to bring back the fun of MR to this theme idea.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Abstract said:
And quite possibly, maybe Applespider and I should take a much lesser role in organization if this is going to work out. No offense to Applespider, because AS has kept the train moving, but things don't seem to work this way, and maybe self-organization and self-moderation is best, where no 1 or 2 persons are telling people how things are done. This is nobody's, and everybody's responsibility if you understand.

Well said. I am sorry that I took offense at what I perceived to be a heavy hand by the two of you. But maybe you understand some of the feelings better now. I now understand the both of yours better now too.

For they way you both saw the monthly assignments, IMO would be better off for a true photography forum; not a sub-forum on MR. In the end "self-organization and self-moderation is best" maybe right. That is why I mentioned the idea of a words/no words (w/nw) format.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
andiwm2003 said:
....and i also believe that things run smoother if someone takes charge. so i'm quite happy with you guy's being "moderators" of this thread.

I agree with the fact that things run smoother if some people take charge. Self-moderating is great, but self-organizing never works because no matter what happens, someone has to step up and do things. It's a heavy, slow moving train if we have to consult everyone before a decision goes ahead, and when this all first started, I even said that these assignment decisions are just taking too long. However, if people are getting frustrated to the point where they're not participating, then.......well, lets change the way it works. I don't care. :eek: I'll still post photos during the assignments and otherwise.

I also suggested that different people take charge each month or every few months so that the same people don't always need to do it, but......(crickets)

after all someone has to take respnsibiltity, do the work, take all the blame.. aehm... benefits.. yes benefits is what i meant.....

Are you volunteering? :p

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Applespider said:
<snip>
6. Artwork must me submitted between the 3rd Monday and 3rd Tuesday (included) of the assignment month. Artwork submitted outside of this timeframe will be deleted.

(emphasis added)

that's a short window, perhaps 1st Monday, 3rd Tuesday? :confused:

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
x86isslow said:
(emphasis added)

that's a short window, perhaps 1st Monday, 3rd Tuesday? :confused:

Those were the old rules that we were missing out so that now it just says within a week of the end of the month.

I like Chip's paragraph explaining what the goal is etc (the only one that I'm not sure about is the 30 day notice of themes since that really draws out the process and means you have two going on at once). I wonder whether having a 'theme thread' open from midway through the month before would be better so that we can have a quick vote in first few days of next month thus giving more time to think/shoot?

Some of those rules are legalese type things that really should be obvious (like you took the picture) and I did think about doing a version of the rules that has the obvious ones.

When to submit, what to submit

and a legalese section with all the boring bits so you don't have to read that far to get the gist of the

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Rather than making us remember to submit them durring a small 2 day window, how about we can submit them to a special person in charge that month, who will submit all of them at once a week before voting (if voting ocours).

Applespider

macrumors G4
Original poster
I've revised the rules to go along with some of the comments made here - and removed the 'old' ones that no-one wanted added back in.

I've also taken the liberty of using part of Chip's post to create a summary version which does state the purpose and the 'be nice' part quite succinctly.
Rules (even the legalese ones) are there to be a framework but since it's intentionally a loose one, there's a lot of give and take in there. So long as things are done in the spirit of the assignment - ie going out and looking at things differently in the timeframe - I suspect it's fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.