PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 problems...

britishempire
Apr 24, 2006, 08:43 AM
I have a late 2005 model G4 iBook (1.33Ghz) which I've had for around 3 months or so... And it's started to slow down doing simple tasks for no reason that I can tell.

Even when I'm only running Mail, Safari and iTunes, it's prone to just freeze up and show me the rainbow disc for up to a minute or more before going back to normal. And it does this every few minutes while I'm using it.

At first I thought it was because I'd had my system running for about 3 weeks with no restart (was never a problem with any of my other macs) so I tried restarting, and then it was ok again for a while, but now it's doing it all the time.

Can anyone help? :( what might be causing this?

PS: I've installed a RAM upgrade, but I did that as soon as I got the iBook, and it was fine.. so i don't think that can be the problem...

taytho
Apr 24, 2006, 08:45 AM
I have a late 2005 model G4 iBook (1.33Ghz) which I've had for around 3 months or so... And it's started to slow down doing simple tasks for no reason that I can tell.

Even when I'm only running Mail, Safari and iTunes, it's prone to just freeze up and show me the rainbow disc for up to a minute or more before going back to normal. And it does this every few minutes while I'm using it.

At first I thought it was because I'd had my system running for about 3 weeks with no restart (was never a problem with any of my other macs) so I tried restarting, and then it was ok again for a while, but now it's doing it all the time.

Can anyone help? :( what might be causing this?

Applications >>> Utilities >>> Disk Utility >>>>> repair permissions.

I have the same computer and this seemed to help me quite a bit. ITs a quick fix but sometimes its all you need. :cool:

britishempire
Apr 24, 2006, 08:48 AM
Applications >>> Utilities >>> Disk Utility >>>>> repair permissions.

I have the same computer and this seemed to help me quite a bit. ITs a quick fix but sometimes its all you need. :cool:

Thanks a lot for your advice, I'll try it now :)

EDIT: That seems to have helped. The repair log found a ton of broken permissions. Hopefully this'll help things a lot!

britishempire
Apr 27, 2006, 03:57 PM
Argh. I'm still getting the same problem. It seems to happen mainly after I wake the computer from sleep... and while it's freezing up, I head small disc noises from the HD...

Does anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it? I don't really want to have to esrase and reinstall the system unless I have to...

mad jew
Apr 27, 2006, 05:02 PM
How much free hard drive space do you have? If you open up Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder, is there an app or process that's using up a lot of CPU or RAM? Make sure to check All Processes, not just My Processes. :)

Queso
Apr 27, 2006, 05:26 PM
Run the cron cleanup scripts to see whether it helps.

Open Go>Utilities>Terminal

type "sudo periodic daily"
Type in your password when prompted

Once completed type "sudo periodic monthly"
Once completed type "sudo periodic weekly"

The last one will take a while.

Once complete, close the Terminal.

yellow
Apr 27, 2006, 05:30 PM
Run the cron cleanup scripts to see whether it helps.

Open Go>Utilities>Terminal

type "sudo periodic daily"
Type in your password when prompted

Once completed type "sudo periodic monthly"
Once completed type "sudo periodic weekly"

The last one will take a while.

Once complete, close the Terminal.

Or..

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

to run all three..

TrenchMouth
Apr 27, 2006, 05:52 PM
I will second the advice of the previous posters, and raise you a "make sure your processor is set to 'highest' in energy saver settings"

check the memory usage of the programs you are using, see if you have any loose cannons.