PDA

View Full Version : Apple Expo Paris 2006

MacRumors
Apr 25, 2006, 07:25 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple Expo (http://www.apple-expo.com/) 2006 has been announced to take place in Paris, France from September 12-16th this year.

Last year's Apple Expo (photos (http://www.apple.com/uk/hotnews/articles/appleexpo/)) offered no keynote speech (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/09/20050905125858.shtml) or significant announcements. The 2004 Expo, however, did launch a new G5 iMac (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/08/20040831055647.shtml) while the 2003 Expo revealed (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/09/20030916055045.shtml) new PowerBooks.

No announcement about the status of a Keynote for this year's Apple Expo 2006 has been made.

liketom
Apr 25, 2006, 07:26 AM
already got my reservation in - no keynote as yet though

wait and see if steve fancys a trip to paris later this year :rolleyes:

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 25, 2006, 07:29 AM
Let's hope they announce some good stuff, as always.

Piarco
Apr 25, 2006, 07:29 AM
Merom, Merom, Merom, Merom, Merom, Merom, Merom, Merom, :D

Hopefully in a Rev B MBP with a upgraded GPU with a DL DVD-RW. That would be perfect and the readies would be handed over straight away :D :D

SamJ
Apr 25, 2006, 07:36 AM
hmmm. sounds about right for the macpro and merom...

jonharris200
Apr 25, 2006, 07:43 AM
I'm expecting... Apple renames Bonjour to Aloha and drops French Language Kit (http://www.macrumors.com/page3/) ;)

MrCrowbar
Apr 25, 2006, 07:49 AM
I'm expecting... Apple renames Bonjour to Aloha and drops French Language Kit (http://www.macrumors.com/page3/) ;)

Yea, I loved this one. :p

iGav
Apr 25, 2006, 07:51 AM
Stuff France, it's about time Jobs did a keynote here... in London. :D

macFanDave
Apr 25, 2006, 07:54 AM
The keynote will be on the end of the last day of the show.

Steve Jobs will appear by remote videoconference to thank the French for their support of the iTunes Music Store and because of the meddling politicians, they're shuttin' 'er down! Adieu, suckers!

MrCrowbar
Apr 25, 2006, 07:56 AM
hmmm. sounds about right for the macpro and merom...

<nods>
MacPro (former PowerMac) would have the desktop version of Merom (dunno the name right now) or even Woodcrest as PowerMacs usually have more power than "normal" desktops. But it's indeed a good time to release the MacPro as Apple wants to complete the hardware transition this year.

Merom will definetely go into the Macbook Pro when it comes out. I think I can hold out until then and get an iMac in the meantime...

jonharris200
Apr 25, 2006, 07:57 AM
Yes, Jobs in London would be very cool for the growing Apple community in UK.

Will_reed
Apr 25, 2006, 08:07 AM
Keynote Keynote Keynote :D

Will_reed
Apr 25, 2006, 08:08 AM
Dang not till september

Lollypop
Apr 25, 2006, 08:09 AM
If there is a keynote then I will start hoping for new hardware release, until then im not expecting anything new. Certainly hoping for the mac pro to be released, or a update to the mini (bring on decent graphics apple!)

sam10685
Apr 25, 2006, 08:15 AM
ipods that have really big screens?

Will_reed
Apr 25, 2006, 08:19 AM
Might wait untill september before considering an ipod just in case :p

firebox
Apr 25, 2006, 08:26 AM
What about ProMac, i have seen it mentioned a couple of times but everyone seems to like MacPro more... I just don't think "MacPro" has enough of a ring to it, then again, neither sound as good as Powermac *ducks*....

I think we need a vote :)

ccool2ax
Apr 25, 2006, 08:32 AM
I bet it's going to be the Power Mac and the end of the iNtel Transition, except maybe the Xserve.

The new PowerMac Name? How about Xmac? I think Power Mac will stay, because there were power macs (or powerbooks) before PowerPCs i think.

And by the way, the iBook is NOT going to be called the MacBook. Apple wouldn't lose so much name recognition to a name as ugly as MB.

backupdrummer
Apr 25, 2006, 08:38 AM
Seems like that would be a good time to make a final display of Apples holiday offering. However, Apple seems to be favoring throwing Apple only rock shows now-a-days so maybe they are going to be playing down the conventions (sans WWDC and MWSF).

MacsRgr8
Apr 25, 2006, 08:39 AM

Yep.
Would be another gr8 reason for me to go to London!

Let's see.. top reasons so far are:
- Arsenal
- Apple Store Regent Street
- couple of Gin 'n Tonics

A Stevenote would definitely fit in there! :)

dernhelm
Apr 25, 2006, 08:39 AM
I bet it's going to be the Power Mac and the end of the iNtel Transition, except maybe the Xserve.

The new PowerMac Name? How about Xmac? I think Power Mac will stay, because there were power macs (or powerbooks) before PowerPCs i think.

And by the way, the iBook is NOT going to be called the MacBook. Apple wouldn't lose so much name recognition to a name as ugly as MB.

If they don't update the XServe soon - they may as well abandon it altogether! :mad:

netdog
Apr 25, 2006, 08:43 AM
Expect Le Mac to be announced in Paris. Disabled from opening any proprietary file types.

m-dogg
Apr 25, 2006, 09:14 AM

If they were willing to toss out the powerbook brand recognition, they aren't gonna have an issue with the ibook brand...

~Shard~
Apr 25, 2006, 09:17 AM
Intel PowerMacs at WWDC in August (Conroe/Woodcrest), Merom-based lappys at Paris Expo - it's all good. :cool:

Hopefully we'll get a Keynote this time around, but I have my doubts, since Jobs will most certaintly be giving one at WWDC. Mind you, if there are enough significant reasons to have one at the Expo, I'm sure they will. :cool:

If they don't update the XServe soon - they may as well abandon it altogether! :mad:

Nah, they're just waiting for Woodcrest. No use in upgrading the Xserves just for the sake of upgrading them - wait until you have something meaningful and sensible to upgrade them to first!

Patience, my son...

AidenShaw
Apr 25, 2006, 09:24 AM
Intel PowerMacs at WWDC in August (Conroe/Woodcrest), Merom-based lappys at Paris Expo - it's all good. :cool:
And Intel applications by WWDC'07 ??

Or maybe the PMG5 will continue to be sold alongside x86 systems at least until Photoshop is a fat binary.

BTW, I'll repeat my prediction:

- New mini-tower form factor for a Conroe-based system (dual-core, single-socket)

- Woodcrest chips in a maxi-tower like the PMG5 - but hopefully with room for more disks/optical inside (dual-core, dual-socket (quad))

Yvan256
Apr 25, 2006, 09:28 AM

Bleh, scratch that... How about one of them Keynote here in Canada, eh? ;)

MacBram
Apr 25, 2006, 09:28 AM
Expect Le Mac to be announced in Paris. Disabled from opening any proprietary file types.

Maybe Apple could call the new PowerMac the BigMac. McDonalds could allow them to use the name as long as Apple doesn't go into the food distribution business (at least until Steve develops those food creator thingy-mabobs they have in Star Trek).

Yvan256
Apr 25, 2006, 09:30 AM
If they were willing to toss out the powerbook brand recognition, they aren't gonna have an issue with the ibook brand...

As a lot of people have said before:
- PowerBook = no "Mac"
- iBook = no "Mac"
- PowerMac = has "Mac"... but could turn out into "Mac Pro", too.

Hence MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini, iMac and PowerMac/Mac Pro.

~Shard~
Apr 25, 2006, 09:31 AM
And Intel applications by WWDC'07 ??

Well, CS3 won't be out until Q2 07 for starters... ;)

Or maybe the PMG5 will continue to be sold alongside x86 systems at least until Photoshop is a fat binary.

I'm sure Apple won't abandon the G5 PMs when the Intel ones comes out - they haven't done that with any of their other models as of yet, so I see no reason they would in this case. Due to the whole UB issue as well and the needs of Pro users, I see even more reason not to abandon the PM G5s right off the bat. :cool:

BTW, I'll repeat my prediction:

- New mini-tower form factor for a Conroe-based system (dual-core, single-socket)

- Woodcrest chips in a maxi-tower like the PMG5 - but hopefully with room for more disks/optical inside (dual-core, dual-socket (quad))

I like this prediction. Nothing says Apple can't mix and match processors in the PowerMac line. Whether it's the above prediction (i.e. separating them out into 2 products) or just keeping the single PowerMac line and using both Conroe and Woodcrest in the low-end and top-end machines respectively, I could see Apple taking full advantage of these nice new chips. :cool:

Mac Fly (film)
Apr 25, 2006, 09:35 AM
already got my reservation in - no keynote as yet though

wait and see if steve fancys a trip to paris later this year :rolleyes:

That's what I was thinking, he wont miss it this year! Too mo=uch of a big year:D

boncellis
Apr 25, 2006, 09:50 AM
With Apple already having pushed WWDC back a little bit, I think the chances of a keynote at the Paris Expo are slightly less--not to rain on any parades. Although, with the WWDC being geared around professionals (there have been exceptions I realize), perhaps Apple will have something consumer oriented for Paris.

What happened to all the 6G iPod buzz? Wouldn't that be ironic if Mr. Jobs introduced a new iPod in France...maybe he would use the opportunity for a tirade against their government's recent interference.

Now that I think about it, it's not so much irony as it is good timing.

MacsRgr8
Apr 25, 2006, 09:56 AM
I think they will be PowerMac.

Many people think that the "power" part will go because it is accosiated with PPC, but it was called PowerMac before it contained PowerPC processors. I think MacPro or Promac is just too wierd.

I can't think of any Power Macs without PPC processors... :confused:
PowerBook, yes, but Power Macs with an 68k...?

I agree that ProMac isn't a good name.
Mac Pro isn't too bad, IMHO.

What about Mac Max? :D

AidenShaw
Apr 25, 2006, 11:18 AM
I'm sure Apple won't abandon the G5 PMs when the Intel ones comes out - they haven't done that with any of their other models as of yet...
Are you kidding?

I looked at the online store, and

where are the iMac G5s ?
where are the 15" PowerBook G4s ?
where are the 17" PowerBook G4s ?
where are the G4 minis ?

It looks very much like they're dropping the G4/G5 systems as soon as the Intel systems come out.

Maybe the old models were available until inventory sold out - but it's clear that so far that Apple is dropping PowerPC as quickly as they can, whether or not the Intel applications are ready.

The G4/G5 store is now called "eBay".

PruneTracy
Apr 25, 2006, 11:35 AM
Is it me or did the G5 have a surprisingly short lifespan? Or does time just fly by whn you get to be my age...

~Shard~
Apr 25, 2006, 12:03 PM
Are you kidding?

I looked at the online store, and

It looks very much like they're dropping the G4/G5 systems as soon as the Intel systems come out.

I said they didn't abandon them, which is correct. After the Intel version of those machines were released, you could still buy the PPC version until supplies ran out. It's not as if the split second the Intel machine was available, that was a consumer's only option. And as I said, the same will happen with the PowerMac. When the Intel PowerMacs are announced at WWDC, the G5 PowerMacs will not mysteriously and abruptly vanish from the Apple Store, and will still be available for some time "while quantities last".

Phased out over the following couple months? Yes, Abandoned? No. Perhaps we just disagree on my choice of words then. ;)

boncellis
Apr 25, 2006, 12:16 PM
Is it me or did the G5 have a surprisingly short lifespan? Or does time just fly by whn you get to be my age...

Maybe it's because the G4 had quite a long lifespan. I think the G5 was shortlived, probably because Mr. Jobs was unhappy with IBM. The Intel transition has gone by much more quickly than I had anticipated.

I still love my G4.

jbh001
Apr 25, 2006, 12:36 PM
Transition to Intel won't be complete until XServe gets it.

I don't expect the PowerMac/MacPro to transistion until it can get a Conroe processor; anything less is a step backward for the PowerMac. Sure you can give the iMac a 64-bit processor and then temporarily step back to 32-bit without to much flack. But to do this to the PowerMac tier would be just nonsensical.

We shouldn't see the PowerMac transition until it can get a Conroe.
It makes sense to wait to transition the XServe until it can get a Woodcrest.

However, with Intel's current release plans, I expect we will see the PowerMac transistion in August with Conroe, followed by laptops getting bumped to Merom in September, with Xserve coming over anywhere between August 2006 and January 2007. I think January is more likely because one expects servers to be super stable--even on a rev A version, thus requiring extra/more intense quality testing.

Personally, I'm ready to replace my laptop and desktop now, but I'll wait for Apple to release Merom and Conroe products before I do. I'll limp allong with my Pentium III 650MHz laptop until then (my Pentium 233MHz MMX desktop died 4 months ago).

AidenShaw
Apr 25, 2006, 02:20 PM
I said they didn't abandon them, which is correct. After the Intel version of those machines were released, you could still buy the PPC version until supplies ran out. It's not as if the split second the Intel machine was available, that was a consumer's only option.
Well, the "split second" does seem to apply to the 17" - it's no longer in the store....

To me, not "dropping" the G4/G5 would mean continuing to manufacture, sell, and support them (at least some models) until most of the top pro software titles are released as Intel or fat binaries. It doesn't mean "surprise - can't buy that any more". Many Intel vendors in the business space give many months notice before end-of-lifing a model series.

What's a company to do if it wants to expand for a project - say hire 5 Photoshop experts - and needs 17" PPC laptops. Over a weekend, without notice, their ability to buy new has been cut off. They can scramble to grab refurbs while they're available, or venture into the mindefields of eBay.

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 25, 2006, 02:44 PM
Hmm, didn't Apple sell the PM G4 parallell with the PM G5 for a year (?) or so, just to make the OS9/OSX transition smoother. If I remember it correctly, OSX wasn't a wonder of stability when it was introduced.
Wasn't PM G4 the last machine that was bootable from OS 9?

AidenShaw
Apr 25, 2006, 03:00 PM
Hmm, didn't Apple sell the PM G4 parallell with the PM G5 for a year (?) or so, just to make the OS9/OSX transition smoother. If I remember it correctly, OSX wasn't a wonder of stability when it was introduced.

Wasn't PM G4 the last machine that was bootable from OS 9?
You're right, according to Apple-history (http://www.apple-history.com/body.php?page=gallery&model=g4_mirror&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC) - the MDD hung around for a year or more as a special configuration for OS9.

Wonder what the plans are this time around? (But the answer seems to be a "no" for the Pro laptops...)

Dr.Gargoyle
Apr 25, 2006, 03:13 PM
Wonder what the plans are this time around? (But the answer seems to be a "no" for the Pro laptops...)
I think that was the case the last time around too...

I believe Shard is correct in his assumption that Apple will introduce the new intel PM as soon as Conroe/Woodcrest comes available. If for no other reason, just so Apple can claim that the PPC->x86 transition has been completed. Steve doesn't want to repeat the 3GHz debacle...
Nevertheless, I do agree that it is a bit odd to introduce a "professional" machine without any "professional" applications to run on it.

peeeter
Apr 25, 2006, 04:12 PM
I think that was the case the last time around too...

Nevertheless, I do agree that it is a bit odd to introduce a "professional" machine without any "professional" applications to run on it.

Photoshop is not the only pro application aout there. Final Cut for example is universal now already

generik
Apr 25, 2006, 04:41 PM
We shouldn't see the PowerMac transition until it can get a Conroe.
It makes sense to wait to transition the XServe until it can get a Woodcrest.

If the PM gets the conroe it will be a real joke for the line. Conroe would be like the equivalent of desktop processors (read: like the Pentium 4) and do not support multiple chips. Hence it is a stepdown from the G5 if you ask me :o

milatchi
Apr 25, 2006, 06:22 PM
Apple Expo (http://www.apple-expo.com/) 2006 has been announced to take place in Paris, France from September 12-16th this year.

Suck Ray Blue!

ipod0324
Apr 25, 2006, 07:15 PM
Might wait untill september before considering an ipod just in case :p

Maybe this is the time when they will release the new ipod video. This would put them in a good position for the holiday season.

AidenShaw
Apr 25, 2006, 09:19 PM
If the PM gets the conroe it will be a real joke for the line. Conroe would be like the equivalent of desktop processors (read: like the Pentium 4) and do not support multiple chips. Hence it is a stepdown from the G5 if you ask me :o
Yes, but the Conroe would make a great chip for a new form factor between the MiniMacIntel and the maxi-tower PowerMac.

Put a Conroe (single socket, dual-core) in a small mini-tower with an x16 PCIe graphics slot, room for an additional 3.5" drive and/or optical, 8 GiB of RAM capacity, and two additional low profile PCIe slots.

Since Intel's price for Woodcrest (dual-socket capable) chips and chipsets will be much higher than Conroe, this will let Apple raise the price of the maxi-tower $500 to $800, and still have a nice expandable tower in the $1000 to $1500 range.

Plus, all the Dell/HP/Lenovo/Gateway/Acer/... will have Conroe mini-towers in the $750-$1000 range. How silly would Apple look with a single-chip Woodcrest system for $1800 - that's not even as fast as a $900 Dell with a Conroe.

It's a new ball game, girls!

~Shard~
Apr 25, 2006, 10:23 PM
Well, the "split second" does seem to apply to the 17" - it's no longer in the store....

Good catch - I didn't realize this, I stand corrected.

To me, not "dropping" the G4/G5 would mean continuing to manufacture, sell, and support them (at least some models) until most of the top pro software titles are released as Intel or fat binaries. It doesn't mean "surprise - can't buy that any more". Many Intel vendors in the business space give many months notice before end-of-lifing a model series.

Good point actually - I suppose using the word "abandon" wasn't what I was looking for, as I agree - there is a difference between continuing to manufacture something and just letting the remaining inventory disappear.

boncellis
Apr 25, 2006, 10:39 PM
Yes, but the Conroe would make a great chip for a new form factor between the MiniMacIntel and the maxi-tower PowerMac...

That looks like it's shaping up to be a distinct possibility. The iMac, I assume, will get the mobile Merom, so where will Conroe fit? Part of me still doubts that Apple will come out with a new mini tower, even though I think the market would support it. I'm just a cynic, I guess.

There is another possibility, which I think ~Shard~ pointed out a while back, that the PowerMac level desktop gets Conroe in a couple lower-end configurations as well as Woodcrest in the high-end tower. To me, this seems somewhat analogous to the way Apple has set the PowerMac line up presently.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's a possibility.

~Shard~
Apr 25, 2006, 10:47 PM
There is another possibility, which I think ~Shard~ pointed out a while back, that the PowerMac level desktop gets Conroe in a couple lower-end configurations as well as Woodcrest in the high-end tower. To me, this seems somewhat analogous to the way Apple has set the PowerMac line up presently.

I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it's a possibility.

Yeah, this was my thinking of how things might possibly work, although I think AidenShaw's is viable as well. Nothing says Apple has to use the same processor architecture throughout an entire line, so perhaps the quad-killer will indeed be a Woodcrest machine...

Another thing to keep in mind is how quickly Intel is releasing these chips - Conroe, Woodcrest, Cloverton, Kentsfield - we'll be seeing Dunnington before we know it! :eek: ;) :D Anyway, Apple needs to have a smart strategy in place to capitalize on these relatively quick advancements - no point in releasing a super cool and expensive "high end" Conroe PowerMac and bragging about it if something substantially better is going to be out in a matter of mere months...

AidenShaw
Apr 25, 2006, 11:35 PM
There is another possibility, which I think ~Shard~ pointed out a while back, that the PowerMac level desktop gets Conroe in a couple lower-end configurations as well as Woodcrest in the high-end tower.
I would think that Apple already has a lot of customer feedback of nature of "I need more than a Mini - but the PowerMac is so *huge*"....

What I see is:

- Apple needs low end ("entry", if you will) towers
- The PMG5 is a maxi-tower that puts some people off because of its size
- Conroe will be the new low-end desktop
- Woodcrest will cost a lot more than Conroe
- Woodcrest in the current towers would be Huge and Expensive

A new mini-tower with a Conroe just makes too much sense

boncellis
Apr 25, 2006, 11:49 PM
...A new mini-tower with a Conroe just makes too much sense

I think you just sealed it...and not in the affirmative. :)

The reasons you listed are definitely there, I've found myself thinking those things more than once. I don't want to try and read Apple's mind here, but they probably already see the iMac as filling the "void" between the Mini and the PowerMac. Has Apple ever really offered an intermediate system before?

Like you say, it just makes too much sense for it to happen. ;)

AidenShaw
Apr 26, 2006, 07:33 AM
Has Apple ever really offered an intermediate system before?
Yes. PowerMac 7300 and PowerMac 8600 were both released in Feb 1997.

http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/7300.gif http://www.apple-history.com/images/models/8600.gif

Through much of the '90s Apple had both desktops (horizontal under-monitor) and full towers.

http://www.apple-history.com

Ummm.... Beige....

~Shard~
Apr 26, 2006, 08:56 AM
I would think that Apple already has a lot of customer feedback of nature of "I need more than a Mini - but the PowerMac is so *huge*"....

What I see is:

- Apple needs low end ("entry", if you will) towers
- The PMG5 is a maxi-tower that puts some people off because of its size
- Conroe will be the new low-end desktop
- Woodcrest will cost a lot more than Conroe
- Woodcrest in the current towers would be Huge and Expensive

A new mini-tower with a Conroe just makes too much sense

It definitely makes sense, and there would be a lot of demand for such a machine IMO. For many people, the Mini is not enough, and although the iMac is very good value, there's the whole non-upgradability factor and the fact that you're stuck with the screen. What's left? An expensive PowerMac, which, honestly, is overkill for many non-pro users out there?

I know if there was a "mini tower" I would seriously consider it for my next Mac. :cool:

kainjow
Apr 26, 2006, 09:43 AM
You guys might be on to something.

Apple has been listening to their customers a lot more. The Mac mini is a direct result of that. So maybe there will be a mini tower that suits those who don't need a full blown PowerMac but want upgradability and more power than the Mac mini.

Eldentistfuturo
Apr 26, 2006, 12:49 PM
But wouldn't this practically kill iMac sales? To get a computer with a built in screen would be crazy.

AidenShaw
Apr 26, 2006, 03:32 PM
But wouldn't this practically kill iMac sales? To get a computer with a built in screen would be crazy.
You mean that giving your customers what they want is a *bad* thing?