PDA

View Full Version : Video iPod Orders Shifted?

MacRumors
Apr 26, 2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A previous report (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060322093629.shtml) had claimed that Quanta had won an "iPod with Video" contract back in March. The details of this report were vague, however, making it unclear if the manufacturing contract was for the current 5G iPod (http://guides.macrumors.com/iPod_(5G)) or was, in fact, the rumored touch-screen video iPod.

Regardless, a new Commercial Times (http://www.digitimes.com/systems/a20060426PB204.html) report claims today that the order has shifted to another manufacturer.

Most recent rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060413131333.shtml) on the touch-screen Video iPod (Mockups (http://guides.macrumors.com/Gallery_of_Video_iPod_Mockups)) indicated that it had been delayed due to technical difficulties.

Meanwhile,there have been a flurry of speculation on upcoming iPods in recent weeks:

- 8GB and 10GB Nanos this Summer? (http://www.ipodgear.com/2006/04/8gb-and-10gb-ipod-nanos-on-the-way.php)
- iPod video media on Blu-Ray? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060425110726.shtml)
- New Nanos in the Fall? (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/04/20060425081810.shtml)
- Comments by Apple (http://www.smarthousenews.com.au/iPods_And_Portable_Players/iPods?Article=/iPods%20And%20Devices/iPods/X8H5H6R3) that the average price of iPods sold is expected to drop this summer.

paddy
Apr 26, 2006, 09:54 AM
8gb nano? Lovely

shadowmoses
Apr 26, 2006, 10:02 AM
There's defiantly something weird going on with the next gen iPod, we probably won't see it until close to 2007 if not in 2007.....This isnt a bad thing as Apple can make sure they make it as good as possible, and the current 5g will more than suffice until then,

SHadOW

nagromme
Apr 26, 2006, 10:02 AM
I guess that fits--problems found, and unable to be fixed while staying with the initial manufacturer, resulting in a delay and a change of manufacturers.

I could believe it.

miketcool
Apr 26, 2006, 10:12 AM
Was the entire contract shifted? Or was another EMS provider added to handle demands?

Regardless, Apple has a lot more R&D $ and resources. A video iPod is gonna be connected to so many more things when it is announced. Wouldn't it be odd if Apple left the iPod alone and just released something completely different? I mean, if your going touch sensitive, might is well go all the way and work on a resurrected newton right? This next player/device is going to be a major breakthrough I think.

M$ seemed hasty with their Origami and made a fuss about it when Apple released their iPod HiFi at a small press release. M$ analyst probably have Apple pegged to release this device and thought it was going down early. Apple has definatly taken a bold stratedgy, watch to see it continue into the madness.

nicksoper
Apr 26, 2006, 10:13 AM
To be honest I'd really like a nano size full screen iPod. Obviously a bit thicker to allow for more battery.

Even a nano that played video would be awesome, it can do it, to the detremement of battery life. The screen is easily big enough to watch an episode of family guy or lost, or even clips taken with a digital camera.

brett_x
Apr 26, 2006, 10:20 AM
When do the rumors start getting tagged with the heading "YA"?
YA Video iPod rumor

RodThePlod
Apr 26, 2006, 10:29 AM
I mean, if your going touch sensitive, might is well go all the way and work on a resurrected newton right?

Oh yes, please! Alas - I don't think this is going to happen any time soon :(

This next player/device is going to be a major breakthrough I think.

Agreed.
My 3G is getting on a bit now - esepcially when I compare it to my brother's 5G :rolleyes:

Whatever top range iPod model Apple decides to release next, I'm getting!

RodC
--
www.expodition.com - for iPod users who love to travel

Diatribe
Apr 26, 2006, 10:33 AM
There's defiantly something weird going on with the next gen iPod, we probably won't see it until close to 2007 if not in 2007.....This isnt a bad thing as Apple can make sure they make it as good as possible, and the current 5g will more than suffice until then,

SHadOW

Defiantly (http://www.wordreference.com/definition/defiantly) eh? :D

Flyinace2000
Apr 26, 2006, 10:33 AM
Well today is my birthday, why can't they release it now! I guess that tax refund will just have to get invested or put in the savings account, how boring!

Bad Beaver
Apr 26, 2006, 10:36 AM
I need no 6G iPod, all I want is an iPod with at least 80GB, be it 5G or whatever. I'd buy it on the spot. Come on Apple, gimme some serious storage!

Diatribe
Apr 26, 2006, 10:41 AM
I need no 6G iPod, all I want is an iPod with at least 80GB, be it 5G or whatever. I'd buy it on the spot. Come on Apple, gimme some serious storage!

I second that. I've been waiting to replace my 4G iPod but not before they go 80GB. I'm sure there are quite a few people who think that way.

wedge antilies
Apr 26, 2006, 10:43 AM

Yeah this is more important to me than the Video capabilities.

Although I do like having my cake and eating it.:p

-Red 2.

mackeeper
Apr 26, 2006, 11:25 AM
Who needs a nano? I want a true video iPod already!

CallmeKenneth
Apr 26, 2006, 11:28 AM
Seems to me like it's been a longer than usual time since Apple released a significant update to the 'pod...

Apple must be under pressure to keep churning stuff out, what with those crapola cheapie rip-offs (http://www.ipodgear.com/2006/04/fake-ipod-nanos-popular.php)

CallmeKenneth
Apr 26, 2006, 11:28 AM
Not that I'm really that interested. Couldn't afford one anyway...:(

boncellis
Apr 26, 2006, 11:32 AM
At least this, if it is to be believed, explains some of the seemingly disjointed Apple announcements over the past few months.

I wouldn't put it past Mr. Jobs, as he unveils it, to say something along the lines of "What? You didn't think we were going to forget our 30th Anniversary, did you?!" ;)

manu chao
Apr 26, 2006, 11:35 AM
I second that. I've been waiting to replace my 4G iPod but not before they go 80GB. I'm sure there are quite a few people who think that way.

If you look at all available statistics on iPod sales (which is mostly either annecdotal evidence and proxy data like lists of top selling products at the Apple online store or Amazon, or the scarcety/availability when supply is under constrain) the iPod mini and the iPod nano were selling in significantly larger numbers than the full-sized iPod. And among the full-sized iPods the larger capacity model was always selling much less than the base model.

There are a significant number of people who would buy a 80 GB iPod, even for music alone but they are not the people Apple makes most money with (although their margins are higher on the bigger models).

rikers_mailbox
Apr 26, 2006, 11:39 AM
This next player/device is going to be a major breakthrough I think.

I'll agree with this too. If the touchscreen development is true (and it seems like it is with all the patent filings), then we should see MUCH more functionality in the new iPod.

I'll go out on a limb and say that we'll finally see some kind of wireless capability, and the touchscreen will allow for virtual keyboard and limited (simplified?) web browsing.

MongoTheGeek
Apr 26, 2006, 11:48 AM
Maybe they'll announce it at WWDC as "one more thing"...

Maybe with a sample for developers...

Time to convince my boss to send me...

Noiseboy
Apr 26, 2006, 11:51 AM
Defiantly (http://www.wordreference.com/definition/defiantly) eh? :D

It's curious to see just how many people believe that the word definitely contains the letter 'a'. This iteration is even more curious.
Back on topic, I'm still waiting for just the right Pod to replace my still perfectly working 2nd generation, maybe a touchscreen is it.

Diatribe
Apr 26, 2006, 11:53 AM
If you look at all available statistics on iPod sales (which is mostly either annecdotal evidence and proxy data like lists of top selling products at the Apple online store or Amazon, or the scarcety/availability when supply is under constrain) the iPod mini and the iPod nano were selling in significantly larger numbers than the full-sized iPod. And among the full-sized iPods the larger capacity model was always selling much less than the base model.

There are a significant number of people who would buy a 80 GB iPod, even for music alone but they are not the people Apple makes most money with (although their margins are higher on the bigger models).

Yeah, but I think that to be a question of price too. Because those were priced pretty high. Anyway with video content coming there'll be more mainstream need for higher capacities.

Diatribe
Apr 26, 2006, 11:55 AM
It's curious to see just how many people believe that the word definitely contains the letter 'a'. This iteration is even more curious.
Back on topic, I'm still waiting for just the right Pod to replace my still perfectly working 2nd generation, maybe a touchscreen is it.

It seems to be one of the most spelled wrong words ever, which does seem peculiar.

~Shard~
Apr 26, 2006, 12:00 PM
If this is indeed in relation to the new touch screen iPod, then I'm fine with this. I'd rather Apple take its time and get things right than rush a defficient product to the market. It's too bad if they have run into problems, but it happens. Fix 'em up and eventually release the best iPod ever! :D

In the interim though, hopefully Apple will at least give us a price drop and/or a capacity increase to the line. That should tide us over until these touch screen bad boys are ready to ship. :cool:

sartinsauce
Apr 26, 2006, 12:05 PM
It seems to be one of the most spelled wrong words ever, which does seem peculiar.

Not only does it seems to be the most mispelled word here on MR, it seems to be one of the most often used, drawing attention to how often it is mispelled.

I love it when people start flaming on bad spellers. I don't care if you spell poorly, as long as you spend richly at the Apple Store.

p0intblank
Apr 26, 2006, 12:11 PM
Wow, tons of iPod rumors today! :D 8 GB and 10 GB iPod nanos would be great. Of course this would probably mean Apple would introduce larger capacity shuffles to fill in the gap?

ImAlwaysRight
Apr 26, 2006, 12:13 PM
New iPod shuffles are due any day now as I just purchased a 512MB Shuffle refurb from overstock.com. :rolleyes: $46.99 incl. shipping)

crees!
Apr 26, 2006, 12:14 PM
Not only does it seems to be the most mispelled word here on MR, it seems to be one of the most often used, drawing attention to how often it is mispelled.

I love it when people start flaming on bad spellers. I don't care if you spell poorly, as long as you spend richly at the Apple Store.

Not that it's bad spelling, but there is a HUGE difference between the word DEFINITE and DEFIANT.

boncellis
Apr 26, 2006, 12:15 PM
...In the interim though, hopefully Apple will at least give us a price drop and/or a capacity increase to the line. That should tide us over until these touch screen bad boys are ready to ship. :cool:

Or maybe Apple should just keep the 5G around and introduce the new potentially touchscreen iPods as the high end model. I don't know how the sales would be, maybe it's not viable to keep both of them around.

I think the killer feature for the iPod would be SMS capability--I like the video idea, but I can't even count how many text messages I send some days. I don't know if a touchscreen would be the most practical for that though.

~Shard~
Apr 26, 2006, 12:19 PM
Or maybe Apple should just keep the 5G around and introduce the new potentially touchscreen iPods as the high end model. I don't know how the sales would be, maybe it's not viable to keep both of them around.

Further to my point though, if there are indeed complications surrounding these touch screen iPods, I wouldn't want Apple to release them at all, whether it's as the high end model or not. If they are not ready, they are not ready, and Apple needs to ensure QC on such an important product or else they will get slaughtered for it later, by both the markets and the consumer. :cool:

jouster
Apr 26, 2006, 12:20 PM
I mean, if your going touch sensitive, might is well go all the way and work on a resurrected newton right?

Well, I'd say keep going with the thing that's making you a huge pile of money. It seems to be selling pretty well without PDA features, after all.

boncellis
Apr 26, 2006, 12:28 PM
Further to my point though, if there are indeed complications surrounding these touch screen iPods, I wouldn't want Apple to release them at all, whether it's as the high end model or not. If they are not ready, they are not ready, and Apple needs to ensure QC on such an important product or else they will get slaughtered for it later, by both the markets and the consumer. :cool:

You're absolutely right, as usual. I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing, just the opposite in fact.

Is 80 GB big enough for a new "video" iPod? Seems like it would be, but I don't have that much content. Does it seem like the 1.8" 100 GB drive is slow in coming out to anyone else?

Diatribe
Apr 26, 2006, 12:32 PM
Not that it's bad spelling, but there is a HUGE difference between the word DEFINITE and DEFIANT.

Exactly. I wasn't trying to flame, I just thought the use of defiantly in that context was a little bit weird considering the context, that's why I mocked it a bit.

MrCrowbar
Apr 26, 2006, 12:35 PM
I'd love see the nano doubling in memory while keeping the price. And/Or if I could use it to call someone, I would buy it at once. :cool:

Actually I think iPods are still too expensive. I just don't want to spend so much for "just" a music player. Add some PDA or phone stuff and I'll buy one at once. I'll wait for the touchscreen thingie.

RodThePlod
Apr 26, 2006, 12:39 PM
Well, I'd say keep going with the thing that's making you a huge pile of money. It seems to be selling pretty well without PDA features, after all.

But with the support for syncing of contacts and other extras like the world clocks, etc. it's edging ever so slowly in that direction... all it needs is an improved and more functional calendar and you're pretty much there!

RodC
--

thevessels
Apr 26, 2006, 12:44 PM
they'll for sure release a new ipod before christmas

quigleybc
Apr 26, 2006, 12:47 PM
The longer it takes for the new pod's to come out, the longer I have to save up for it...

But, i'm sick of my fragile little Nano, tired of treating it like an egg. I want something with mega storage, text editing/viewing, video, and a screen that won't get shredded in the first few weeks.

CallmeKenneth
Apr 26, 2006, 12:48 PM
Ok ok - final rumor (or 'rumour' for my fellow Brits)

This is what they've been working on for the latest revision...

The Apple TeraPod
- 1TB of storage
- Fully functioning PDA
- Hi Def Colour Screen
- 0.25" thick
- Bluetooth 3.0
- Giga-WiFi
- Integrated iPhone
- 'Knows' what you're thinking

:D

Willis
Apr 26, 2006, 12:55 PM
Agreed.
My 3G is getting on a bit now - esepcially when I compare it to my brother's 5G :rolleyes:

Whatever top range iPod model Apple decides to release next, I'm getting!

RodC
--

your 3G is getting on? My 1G 10GB iPod is still going strong, although, it has died twice, but leave it a few days, recharge, good as new =D but i could do with a new one now.

boncellis
Apr 26, 2006, 01:01 PM
My 1G 10GB iPod is still going strong, although, it has died twice, but leave it a few days, recharge, good as new =D

That is pretty cool. It's probably not going to be a big deal seeing as how Apple skipped right over the company's 30th Anniversary, but the 5 year anniversary of the iPod is coming up in 6 months, if I'm not mistaken. October seems like a good time to announce something new, just ahead of the Christmas (and Hanukkah and Kwanza) season.

sam10685
Apr 26, 2006, 01:03 PM
well, i think we all know what this means. nothing.

miketcool
Apr 26, 2006, 01:09 PM

I am by no means saying that this is the next iPod replacement. All I'm saying is, if you spend all the trouble to squeeze on a touch screen, there is no point in keeping the same PDA features as before (calendar, notes, contacts).

It would be more intuitive to update how the iPod is navigated. The wheel can still be there as it is an amazing one handed solution. The interface will have to evolve and new possibiities open up.

How many more steps are really needed to make it a fully functional PDA? If the iPod goes touch screen, expect all the other dominioes to fall. This will be a complete overhaul of the icon. How this is to be pulled off will be the hat trick and I for one belive it will send shockwaves.

50 million sold and atomic radiation has mutated the next evolution....

MarcelV
Apr 26, 2006, 01:14 PM
....iPod vista anyone :D

Proud Liberal
Apr 26, 2006, 01:29 PM

Count me in as well...desparately seeking 80GB!

mandis
Apr 26, 2006, 01:48 PM
- 8GB and 10GB Nanos this Summer? oh ok
- iPod video media on Blu-Ray? niice
- New Nanos in the Fall? goood
- Comments by Apple that the average price of iPods sold is expected to drop this summer. goooooooood! ! !

What about that new video ipod with the touchscreen?

Phobophobia
Apr 26, 2006, 02:07 PM
If the average price per iPod is going to drop, this indicates either

a). Price drops on the Nanos
b). Updated Shuffle

sartinsauce
Apr 26, 2006, 02:07 PM
well, i think we all know what this means. nothing.

Exactly! Truest words I've read here recently.

Also, what on earth do you people need with an 80GB iPod?

Lots of movies or years of music?

alec
Apr 26, 2006, 02:10 PM
Apple will get things out by next October I suspect. Well, I think everyone suspects that -- revamped Video iPod and an upgraded Nano for Christmas time (Baby Jesus hearts iPods).

avensis087
Apr 26, 2006, 02:14 PM
Also, what on earth do you people need with an 80GB iPod?

Lots of movies or years of music?

well iPod storage will increase as people aquire more and more and more music/movies/podcasts/etc. 80 - 100 GB is hardly far fetched. i've got 13,000 songs pushing 65 GB, and that's without any full length film content. once apple gets into the feature film arena, 100 GB will be zapped in no time.

mr

Mac Fly (film)
Apr 26, 2006, 02:29 PM
"Comments by Apple: that the average price of iPods sold is expected to drop this summer."

I listened to the whole quicktime broadcast and I'm sorry to say that Apple/Openhimer did NOT say that!!
He siad: "they'll be down in the summer" (referring to the iPod's) But he was talking about the sales numbers, NOT THE PRICE!!!:mad:

Now where's my iPhone!

p.s. my signature looks a bit odd today?

Chris Bangle
Apr 26, 2006, 02:41 PM
World of apple are claiming that samsung are claiming that they have won the chip making deal. http://loop.worldofapple.com/ I think thats what the article is saying.

SeaFox
Apr 26, 2006, 02:49 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

A previous report had claimed that Quanta had won an "iPod with Video" contract back in March....

Regardless, a new Commercial Times report claims today that the order has shifted to another manufacturer.

Ha-Ha. I imagine someone with a big mouth at Quanta just lost their job.

RodThePlod
Apr 26, 2006, 03:00 PM
your 3G is getting on? My 1G 10GB iPod is still going strong, although, it has died twice, but leave it a few days, recharge, good as new =D but i could do with a new one now.

;) Well - I have to justify the purchase of my new iPod somehow, right? :D

RodC
--

Willis
Apr 26, 2006, 03:08 PM
yeah fair point there... bring on new iPods!

jicon
Apr 26, 2006, 03:17 PM
So apparently there have been "technical issues" in delivering a new video iPod?

Hmmm... watching Apple for the last several years, I would have thought they would continue on their trend of delivering flawed first revisions out in to the world. Since when has a significant technical issue delayed Apple (aside from the flawed RevA iMac G5)?

We're already on Rev D for the MacBook Pros already...

kntgsp
Apr 26, 2006, 03:20 PM
To be honest I'd really like a nano size full screen iPod. Obviously a bit thicker to allow for more battery.

Even a nano that played video would be awesome, it can do it, to the detremement of battery life. The screen is easily big enough to watch an episode of family guy or lost, or even clips taken with a digital camera.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....gasp....gasp...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

aswitcher
Apr 26, 2006, 03:26 PM
Is there any chance they will rejig the Nanos to allow them to work just like flash drives (aka the Shuffle) when connected to any computer?

sartinsauce
Apr 26, 2006, 03:36 PM
Is there any chance they will rejig the Nanos to allow them to work just like flash drives (aka the Shuffle) when connected to any computer?

You can't use your Nano as an external drive? I didn't know that (never used one). That kinda bites.

So, do you guys really keep 50GB of music on your iPod? Do you fill up your 'puters internal HDD with an equal amount of bulky files that aren't frequently used?

~Shard~
Apr 26, 2006, 03:36 PM
You're absolutely right, as usual. I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing, just the opposite in fact.

Is 80 GB big enough for a new "video" iPod? Seems like it would be, but I don't have that much content. Does it seem like the 1.8" 100 GB drive is slow in coming out to anyone else?

No worries, I wasn't saying you were disagreeing at all - just making a point. :)

steve_hill4
Apr 26, 2006, 05:05 PM
So apparently there have been "technical issues" in delivering a new video iPod?

Hmmm... watching Apple for the last several years, I would have thought they would continue on their trend of delivering flawed first revisions out in to the world. Since when has a significant technical issue delayed Apple (aside from the flawed RevA iMac G5)?

We're already on Rev D for the MacBook Pros already...
No we're not. A revision is when specs for a product change, a change in the manufacturing components/process without announcement is not a revision.

Do any of the currently shipping "rev d" models state 1,4 in System Profiler? If so, I take back my comments. If they state anything other than 1,1 i'd be surprised.

steve_hill4
Apr 26, 2006, 05:32 PM
I keep saying that I would buy a full, touch screen Video iPod when they are available, but I can't justify one and don't believe I would use it enough for video. My 60GB 4G one will suit me for the time being I think.

Same with the 8/10GB nanos, shuffles and such. I don't need one and would probably be better off buying a 1GB card for my phone and using that for exercise, sticking with my 4G for general use. The only files I have that would struggle to playback on my phone would be protected AAC, which are few and far between in my library, mostly being AAC from CDs and a few mp3 files I have not bothered to reimport for a few years or no longer own the originals for.

manu chao
Apr 26, 2006, 06:37 PM
You can't use your Nano as an external drive? I didn't know that (never used one). That kinda bites.

So, do you guys really keep 50GB of music on your iPod? Do you fill up your 'puters internal HDD with an equal amount of bulky files that aren't frequently used?

During the week, I spend about 12 h per day in front of my computer (10 - 11h at work, 1 - 2 h at home) and 40 min commuting. Just guess whether I spend more time listening to music on my iPod or on my laptop?

bloodycape
Apr 26, 2006, 06:56 PM
I haven't read about 8gig flash drives for music players yet. I saw a jump ad drive for a 6gig model and Sandisk and the E300 series(??) that has 6gig in a flash drive for the price of the nano and video capabilities. I think if apple can do the same with that nano (with out a horrible battery life) it will garner some more attention for the good.

Stridder44
Apr 26, 2006, 06:58 PM
well iPod storage will increase as people aquire more and more and more music/movies/podcasts/etc. 80 - 100 GB is hardly far fetched. i've got 13,000 songs pushing 65 GB, and that's without any full length film content. once apple gets into the feature film arena, 100 GB will be zapped in no time.

mr

Agreed, and im only at 4k songs (26 GB)

Stridder44
Apr 26, 2006, 07:01 PM

Yes. I hardly drive without my iPod.....plus I have A.D.D to the maxx

yac_moda
Apr 26, 2006, 07:15 PM
NO DOUBT ABOUT IT ...

They have moved the touch screen in the front to a touch pad on the back with the fingers transparently reflected to the front :eek: :eek: :eek:

I wonder if it will be Playstation compatible :confused:

OR MAYBE X-BOX COMPATIBLE remember Apple had access to ALL of MS's patents until 2003 and Gates did say that agreement would continue when they renegotiated in 2003 -- MAYBE IT WILL BE THE ONLY PLAYER TO PLAY BOTH :eek: :confused: :eek:

P.S. Better copy this post it will be deleted SOON ...

... just a little to close ...

Mac Fly (film)
Apr 26, 2006, 07:25 PM
is going to be a hot year!

leidendude
Apr 26, 2006, 07:47 PM
The longer it takes for the new pod's to come out, the longer I have to save up for it...

But, i'm sick of my fragile little Nano, tired of treating it like an egg. I want something with mega storage, text editing/viewing, video, and a screen that won't get shredded in the first few weeks.

How about a laptop?

SC68Cal
Apr 26, 2006, 08:09 PM
I have no problems using my Ipod Nano as an external drive... I don't know what you guys are talking about.

AidenShaw
Apr 27, 2006, 06:34 AM
I have no problems using my Ipod Nano as an external drive... I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Reformat the Nano with an NTFS filesystem, and then try to tell us that it's a normal USB drive....

Even with FAT32, I've seen frequent strange failures with the 4 GB Nano that I've never seen with normal USB drives.

The Nano stays in my junk drawer, it's not a reliable USB drive.

aswitcher
Apr 27, 2006, 06:44 AM
Reformat the Nano with an NTFS filesystem, and then try to tell us that it's a normal USB drive....

Even with FAT32, I've seen frequent strange failures with the 4 GB Nano that I've never seen with normal USB drives.

The Nano stays in my junk drawer, it's not a reliable USB drive.

Yeah, thats my concern. Nano at the right price would make a loevly all round music player/MSD but its not ther now. Plus USB-MSDs are appearing that have lcds allowing you to see files contained etc. Thats what I want from a next gen nano.

(L)
Apr 29, 2006, 08:05 AM

Just to continue the totally off-topic discussion...

Here's what I think of the word definitely being spelled so terribly.

Step 1: Definitely -> Definately

In this step, there are 2 major forces at work. First, illiteracy - you don't spell it wrong if you've seen it correctly enough times and you understand the meaning (which involves the concept of FINITEness, or being limited, accurate, etc). Second, the reason it is most often spelled this way is from phonological guesswork and having seen it wrong so many times, obviously as a result of the former.

Step 2: Definately -> Definatly

This is probably laziness and bad typing mixed together with a carelessness about reading the words. Many words can be read correcltly even when they are spelled incoreclty, because our brains try to make sense of nonsense. But mostly, it's most likely a product of accidently leaving the "e" out, since few people say it without the "e."

Step 3: Definatly -> Defiantly

This is a simple case of pressing the "a" a little before pressing the "n" key. (Thanks captain obvious...:rolleyes: ) Carelessness and illiteracy can mangle language in just a couple of steps...if a great many people did this consistently, the word defiantly would gain the meaning of the original word.

One thing more annoying than the spelling (or faultiness thereof) is seeing it used only as emphatic displays of confidence that should not really be. Oh yeah, I "definately" think this or that. You either do or you don't; don't try to embellish it with a mispelled word to try to convince others of some idea when they can only see how stupid you've been to misspell the word. :D

(L)
Apr 29, 2006, 08:08 AM
If the average price per iPod is going to drop, this indicates either

a). Price drops on the Nanos
b). Updated Shuffle

Or, though unlikely, a price drop on any of the iPods, which includes the video one. However, this is not guaranteed to stay past the release of new Nanos or iPods.

(L)
Apr 29, 2006, 08:11 AM

mr

Well, yeah, and obviously, more room allows for less-compressed music, like Lossless quality. I have 1000 tracks at 25 GB, which aren't even all Lossless. I'd like to be able to fit 3 times as much, so 80 GB doesn't sound bad. Maybe 100 GB if I got into movie stuff.

(L)
Apr 29, 2006, 08:16 AM
During the week, I spend about 12 h per day in front of my computer (10 - 11h at work, 1 - 2 h at home) and 40 min commuting. Just guess whether I spend more time listening to music on my iPod or on my laptop?

Well, for sound quality you'd shut off those fan-blowing computer stuff and turn on an iPod, which is more quiet. Plus, even frequently used, music (at good bit rates) take up tons of storage, so it seems reasonable to use an iPod. Unfortunately, I'm not getting one until the 6G.:D

(L)
Apr 29, 2006, 08:22 AM
Count me in as well...desparately seeking 80GB!

Hmm...what if it bumped up even higher sooner than expected? With such a long wait, might it be somewhat more likely to see 100GB? Especially if there is a $50 raise in the price for the top model, I guess...:p

EDIT: Just in case anyone caught me, I didn't mean to leave the obvious spelling error unchecked. The word is desperately, from the root sperare, Latin for "to hope." It's fine to be proud as a liberal, but bad spelling isn't becoming, neither for you or for proud liberals.