PDA

View Full Version : So... who actually puts a pic in their profile?

amateurmacfreak
Apr 26, 2006, 05:37 PM
I've noticed.... very few MR users post a pic of themselves in their profile. Is it for fear.... or lazy... or just... do people feel a photo is too personal??
Well, I'll be posting one.
It's not b/c I want to judge someone on how they look.
It's just b/c it's nice to have SOME vague idea of what someone looks like. :) Makes it almost seem more like... a real person with a real life.... just... makes the person more real.

And am I think only one who thinks it's funny when we don't know the gender of other members? :o
I'm the female minority, btw. :p

katie ta achoo
Apr 26, 2006, 05:41 PM
mine is in my profile. I'm also in the pics thread a lot.

*shrug*

Daveway
Apr 26, 2006, 05:43 PM
i do, i do!

~Shard~
Apr 26, 2006, 05:44 PM
I have mine in my profile (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=17437) - I have nothing to hide. Well, not much at least... ;) :cool:

amateurmacfreak
Apr 26, 2006, 05:46 PM
I have one in mine now.
God, I need to look happier! XD
*goes to Photo Booth to try to get a happier shot of self*

Lau
Apr 26, 2006, 05:47 PM
I figure no-one would want to see my gurning mug on my profile, and so tend to use it as a bit of an avatar extension. I tend to look people up and see if they're in the Picture directory (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=170119), and have a nose as to what they look like there, and I guess people could do the same to me if they were that way inclined. :)

Having said that some people do have pictures in their profiles, and that is no bad thing. :)

amateurmacfreak
Apr 26, 2006, 05:53 PM
New profile pic.

Now my pic is odd and tinted and edited. :D

m-dogg
Apr 26, 2006, 06:05 PM
I do...but it doesn't show very much of me...

...perhaps I have something to hide?

PlaceofDis
Apr 26, 2006, 06:07 PM
i had one in my profile, but it was old and outdated so i got rid of it, never changed it, plus you can find me in the pictures thread/directory easily enough.

mad jew
Apr 26, 2006, 06:08 PM
I've got one but I seemed to have turned away from the camera at just the wrong time. :(

Lau
Apr 26, 2006, 06:14 PM
I've got one but I seemed to have turned away from the camera at just the wrong time. :(

I know, sadly your beady eye stalks are hidden. :p

mpw
Apr 26, 2006, 06:27 PM
Just updated mine, I was using it as a target for an image link in a way old thread which will now no longer make any sense (do mine ever?) but I can't be arsed searching for the post as I can't remember what is was about!

blackfox
Apr 26, 2006, 06:32 PM
I am (somewhat) visually represented in both my profile and in the member-photo thread. My profile picture is fairly old, but still representative of how I look.

- Amateurmacfreak, did you originally have a photo in the member-photo thread? I thought you did, but I could be mistaken...

- Mad Jew, your avatar is really something. There are so many things I could say...creative, but vaguely disturbing...perhaps I am just jealous...

mad jew
Apr 26, 2006, 06:33 PM
- Mad Jew, your avatar is really something. There are so many things I could say...creative, but vaguely disturbing...perhaps I am just jealous...

Disturbing? How do you think I feel. :D

mpw, do you moisturise?

mpw
Apr 26, 2006, 06:37 PM
...mpw, do you moisturise?
Come now, you of all posters should know sea water is the best thing for skin-care.

g30ffr3y
Apr 26, 2006, 06:39 PM
boo...

thats me over there
<------ :cool:

jefhatfield
Apr 26, 2006, 06:42 PM
i don't have a pic in my profile, but i started with a mocked up G5 chip photo as an avatar back in 2001 made by mr. anderson, then switched to a rockabilly electric guitar a few years later, and now i have a picture of a

<<guitar similar to the one i own right now...of course i have a $450 dollar (street value) esp ltd viper and my avatar is a picture of a limited edition 1961 replica gibson les paul standard (sg body shape) of the type that gibson issued right before guitarist and recording engineer les paul took his name away from gibson to use on their products...and oh yeah, this guitar costs about $1500 dollars if you can find one as the reissues are rare like the originals (which are also made more rare by the fact that they were extremely fragile and prone to breakage and warpage so playing samples of the original les paul/sg guitars are very scarce...but then again original gretsch rockabilly guitars, from my previous avatar, in working condition are rare because the glue joints that the gretsch guitar company used to hold these 1940s-1960s guitars fail after about 20 years of regular usage)...luckily gretsch guitars uses better glue these days but gibson still makes some models prone to easy damage...so that's a petty guitar trivia lesson

i would never want to put my real picture on my avatar or profile...not because of any hacker/identity risks, but mostly because i don't think i photograph well ;)

plinden
Apr 26, 2006, 06:43 PM
I've had a pic in my profile almost from the start.

Peyton
Apr 26, 2006, 06:43 PM
You post a pic in your profile if you don't have an avatar...that's me at least!

30~ more posts til you get to lay eyes on my beautiful avatar :D

devilot
Apr 26, 2006, 06:51 PM
I tend to look people up and see if they're in the Picture directory (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=170119), and have a nose as to what they look like there, and I guess people could do the same to me if they were that way inclined. :)Mm hmm. That's how I feel, too.

joepunk
Apr 26, 2006, 07:17 PM
I've got a pic of myself in my profile. Not that one could see much of me anyway.

amacgenius
Apr 26, 2006, 07:38 PM
I'll upload one, I used to have one there.

(Edit: Done.)

mjstew33
Apr 26, 2006, 07:53 PM
eh. too lazy. haha.

now that mention it, i will... i guess

edit: done. happy? :p

thedude110
Apr 26, 2006, 08:34 PM
Who wants to see my face when you can see my inner Beavis? :eek: (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=54357)

freeny
Apr 26, 2006, 08:56 PM
I find pretty girls and my illustrations are much more interesting then my boring mug. Perhaps maybe one day I'll use a picture of my beautiful little boy....

I am posted in the MR pictures log if anyone really cares.
http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38062

I am the older one.

maestro55
Apr 26, 2006, 09:15 PM
I did, because I figured, why not? Not that anyone really looks.

2nyRiggz
Apr 26, 2006, 09:17 PM
My picture burned the screen so i took it down and replaced it with MJ pic.

Bless

vniow
Apr 27, 2006, 01:00 AM
And am I think only one who thinks it's funny when we don't know the gender of other members? :o
I'm the female minority, btw. :p

Yeah, I guess most people here tend to assume users are male unless they've mentioned otherwise, there was a thread on it awhile back I think. Its where handles like Goddess become useful. ;)

I have mine in my profile (http://forums.macrumors.com/member.php?u=17437) - I have nothing to hide. Well, not much at least... ;) :cool:

Nudist.

Anyhoo, I've got mine up and have something in there for awhile, ever since the feature was added I think. I have more public pics than anyone so its not exactly hard to find out when I look like so I mostly just find my favourite one at the time, resize it to 150x150 and stick it up.

jefhatfield
Apr 27, 2006, 01:07 AM
Anyhoo, I've got mine up and have something in there for awhile, ever since the feature was added I think. I have more public pics than anyone so its not exactly hard to find out when I look like so I mostly just find my favourite one at the time, resize it to 150x150 and stick it up.

great picture...you kind of look like bettie page...now you are going to have a lot of guys hitting on you since there are very few women on board here...i can think of less than ten who frequent these forums regularly

vniow
Apr 27, 2006, 01:10 AM
great picture...you kind of look like bettie page

Heh, you're not the first (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2341938#post2341938) to mention that. ;)

jefhatfield
Apr 27, 2006, 01:17 AM
Heh, you're not the first (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=2341938#post2341938) to mention that. ;)

there is a young woman who lives near you, in prundale, named cindy who hangs around the santa cruz scene who looks amazingly like bettie page...you may know her...she likes the psycho billie scene

i used her on the cover of a punk album i made with my band in the 90s

but seriously, if you grow you hair longer, get bangs, and die your hair black, you will look as much like bettie page as anyone i have seen

kretzy
Apr 27, 2006, 01:21 AM
I don't know why I don't have a profile pic. People can go to the Picture gallery if they want to have a squiz.

mcarnes
Apr 27, 2006, 01:25 AM
Mine is accurate.

ReanimationLP
Apr 27, 2006, 01:36 AM
I like my hippo though. its CUTE. :)

I have 2 pictures in the Macrumors Member Pic land, and they're bad.

Gotta get a real cam. >.> <.<

~Shard~
Apr 27, 2006, 10:09 AM
Nudist.

You say that as if it's a bad thing.... :cool:

MacRy
Apr 27, 2006, 10:19 AM
I've always had one there. Guess i'm not shy.....or i'm very naive and don't mind potenital stalkers or mad jews ogling me (not that i'm anything to ogle at).

vniow
Apr 27, 2006, 12:13 PM
You say that as if it's a bad thing.... :cool:

Not at all, I'm showing just about as much skin as allowed in some of my previous pics! :eek:

So no complaints. ;)

~Shard~
Apr 27, 2006, 12:40 PM
Not at all, I'm showing just about as much skin as allowed in some of my previous pics! :eek:

So no complaints. ;)

Excellent, good to know. ;) :)

Queso
Apr 27, 2006, 01:01 PM
None in my profile, but this is me if anyone's interested

http://www.chatfinder.com/info.php?userid=8243129

iBlue
Apr 27, 2006, 06:45 PM
i've had an obscure picture of myself in my profile since day one. however i had pai mei (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=pai+mei&btnG=Search) in my profile pic for a while, just to see if anyone would notice. (people did ;))