Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
In an interview Steve Ballmer told a german newspaper that "if it's necessary to sell software we are willing to produce our own hardware".

Ballmer said the X-Box was an exception, but Microsoft is now more open towards exceptions.

Because of their financal results last quarter, which were good, but not as good as analysts hoped for, Microsoft wants to re-organize themself.

It interesting to see what they will come up with.

LINK to german newshttp://boerse.ard.de/content.jsp?key=dokument_160842

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
Oh God sakes! Their earnings weren't AS good, but their still probably the highest earning joke-of-a-company in the world. Can't they just carry on making their crappy OS's, that come around once every few years, building in features that Mac and Linux had many a year ago - then forcing them down our throats on every beige box around.

I despise Microsoft. No really. I hate them.

Apple's are good. Very good. :D

..Morning rant over.

Another thing.. instead of building hardware, try, I dunno, I'm just gonna throw this out there.. building as OS from scratch without the millions of flaws like the old one?

From what I understand, there have been a few flaws found recently in Macs, where viruses are concerned - but Windoze, well, its a joke.

Before making crappy machinery, better your crappy OS at least.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
dmw007 said:
As much as they suck at making software (Windows in particular), now they want to make hardware! :eek: :rolleyes:

Actually, they have been making hardware since the 80's. Their hardware division is of much better quality than their software division, as I have never had a failing Microsoft mouse or natural keyboard. Actually, they were groundbreaking products ergonomics-wise!

That said, I'm actually writing this post on my work PC using a Microsoft natural keyboard and am going to soon grab a Microsoft mouse. Oh, on another thought, I'm going to grab a coffee cup instead. But anyway. They have been making hardware for ages.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
WinterMute said:
Someone here has a sig line: "The only thing that Microsoft could make that wouldn't suck is a hoover..." (I paraphrase)

'nuff said.:D
classic line there :D but soo true

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
JFreak said:
Actually, they have been making hardware since the 80's. Their hardware division is of much better quality than their software division, as I have never had a failing Microsoft mouse or natural keyboard. Actually, they were groundbreaking products ergonomics-wise!

That said, I'm actually writing this post on my work PC using a Microsoft natural keyboard and am going to soon grab a Microsoft mouse. Oh, on another thought, I'm going to grab a coffee cup instead. But anyway. They have been making hardware for ages.

Good point, I forgot about that. :eek: Still the thought of M$ expanding their hardware making efforts is a bit scary. :)

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Perhaps Microsoft and Dell should merge, the world doesn't need more crappy hardware in land fills. By merging, they have the opportunity to improve both products.

Zmmyt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 6, 2005
JFreak said:

Very good point. I totally forgot about it.

It's right, their peripherals are great products, as far as I know.

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
Abstract said:
So if you have crappy software installed onto crappy hardware, does that result in a "crappy system" x 2, or a "crappy system^2". :confused:
Or is it like multiplying two negatives and getting a positive? Probably not:D

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Well one that would likly piss off the other PC makers(if they gave there software a edge on MS hardware)

a but it might be well Spec, and made if they made high end units, based on what i hear about there mice, and i'm a fan of xBox

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I wouldn't trust microsoft hardware. I've used microsoft mice and keyboards at work, and soon bought in my own, and really, they won't comfortable at all. Not one bit.

For me, it'll always be Logitech for everything ( mice, keyboards, BT headsets etc ). Logitech means reliability and quality ( pretty much everything that microsoft lacks ).

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Microsoft controls both the hardware and software and switches to IBM for their CPU. Runs older classic Windows programs under emulation.
Apple opens to all PC vendors and eventually stops selling hardware. That would be so weird.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
Stella said:
For me, it'll always be Logitech for everything ( mice, keyboards, BT headsets etc ). Logitech means reliability and quality ( pretty much everything that microsoft lacks ).

Same here, I really enjoy using Logitech mice and keyboards- high quality. :)

Shamus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2006
The hardware would probably be overpriced, thus uncompetitive. If, on the other hand, it was priced competitively, MS would probably run into monopolising issues. They cant take over the entire computer market after all. ;) :rolleyes:

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
A cowOrker of mine who is more MS based says that Vista won't run on much of anything because the specs are so high. (DP or DC processor(s)) Metric buttload of memory, huge disk etc. Dell etc don't want to make boxen to run it since the components are so expensive it cuts into margins.

It could be that the best thing for MS to do is shop out the PC design and manufacture to Apple who has experience in high end hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.