PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla 1.3b

AmbitiousLemon
Feb 11, 2003, 06:34 AM
What's New in Mozilla 1.3b
# Image auto sizing allows a user to toggle between full-sized images and images sized to fit the browser window. To give it a try, load a large image into the browser window or size the window to be much smaller. Now clicking on the image will alternate between auto-sized and full-sized.The feature can be disabled (or enabled) from the Appearance panel in Preferences.
# Mozilla Mail's junk-mail classification is mostly complete. Users can now automatically move junk mail to a spam folder.
# Users can now "dynamically" switch profiles. To give it a try, from the tools menu select "Switch Profile..."
# Find as you type, formerly known as type ahead find, has a new preferences panel (Advanced: Keyboard Navigation).
# When installed, Chatzilla now has a normal Mozilla preferences panel.
# about:config, the listing of most of Mozilla's preference settings is now editable. Power users can now tweak just about every pref available without opening prefs.js in a text editor. Warning: tweaking some of these prefs may break Mozilla completely. Use at your own risk.
# This release of Mozilla marks the kickoff of a research project to apply machine learning to improve the browser's autocomplete feature. The project's first phase needs as many Mozilla users as possible to participate in collecting data. All you need to do is turn on a pref, use this build for daily browsing for a couple of weeks, zip up a data file on your local drive, and submit it online. Please read http://www.mozilla.org/projects/ml/autocomplete/ for more details.

www.mozilla.org

Just downloaded it and boy is it great. Think I will set Chimera aside for awhile (at least until .7 is release which should be soon).

And for those who find the interface elements of chimera slow, Mozilla is MUCH faster in that respect as well.

It is clear why Apple didn't show speed comparisons to Mozilla on its Safari page, I bet even their skewed benchmarks can't beat this speed machine.

Note to new Mozilla users:
1) You'll probably find bugs here, so if the idea of filing a bug and making sure it hasn't already been reported is too much trouble, then you'll be happier downloading 1.2.1 instead.
2) Ugly? well you forgot to install the OSX components to make it use aqua! Get Them here :) (http://www.kmgerich.com/pinstripe/pinstripe.html)

FelixDerKater
Feb 11, 2003, 04:33 PM
It is faster than previous versions, but I am not sure whether it is faster or not. That is probably just in perception though. Some browsers load the whole page and flash it up all at once. Others such as Mozilla, show each element as it progressively loads.

alset
Feb 12, 2003, 08:37 PM
I can't believe I actually installed another copy of Mozilla, but the speed item intrigued me. You're right. It's blazing.

Still, however, I am no fan of the interface, even after pinstriping it. Not my style. Same reason I dislike Safai.

Dan

Jaykay
Feb 13, 2003, 11:09 AM
i love the look of mozilla and especially safari (when you use safaricon) but i have to say mozilla is getting very fast...